Is Revis a lock for first ballot HOF?

Revis is an enigma.... Best cover corner I've seen in the no touching era and all the rules against DB's, however it's amazing how far he's fallen off the map. I understand being hurt, but if you're that hurt and can't help the team, rehab and get back out there 100%. The way he has taken his bump and run to playing off 10 yards is embarrassing. If you want to continue to play for this team, get yourself healthy, workout over the off season like you used to and come back 110% committed to being the best again, or else please retire.

If i'm voting...........Revis get's a no......... I want players in the hall who suited up for the love of the game, not their love of money. his holdout as a rookie. his departure to NE. his decision to mail it in this year was obvious when he chose not to work out in the offseason. These collectively are not hall of fame attributes.

1 hour ago, joewilly said:

If i'm voting...........Revis get's a no......... I want players in the hall who suited up for the love of the game, not their love of money. his holdout as a rookie. his departure to NE. his decision to mail it in this year was obvious when he chose not to work out in the offseason. These collectively are not hall of fame attributes.

so owners can cut players when they want but you don't want players to be able to fight for every dollar they can make?

we TRADED him then made no attempt to get him back after TB released him even though he made it known he wanted to come back.

you know he has surgery in the offseason and wasn't healthy, right?

my head hurts.

• 2 months later...
On 9/19/2016 at 11:08 AM, greenwichjetfan said:

10 days between Jets games, and we're about to start the mid-week lull...so hopefully we can get a good discussion going here:

When Revis was called out by JR Smith for his poor play the past two weeks, he replied with, "still heading to Canton though[...]". 

The fact that he was the best in the business for 2 years, elite for about 5 years, and has a super bowl ring - especially in the pass happy NFL with freaks playing the WR position, should get him in; but he'll need at least 3-5 more seasons of above average play to make first-ballot.  

While his highs have been higher than anyone I've ever seen (or, higher than anyone in NFL history as supported by empirical evidence), his full career has yet to take shape. If the past two weeks are an indication of things to come, and his CB career crumbles quickly and he doesn't adjust and move to safety, I don't see first ballot. A couple of comps:

- Champ Bailey never converted to safety, but he had a sustainable and productive career at CB going into his very late 30's. 
- Charles Woodson eventually did convert to safety as his CB play slid, and actually performed very well there as well, going into his late 30's. 

So, quite simply, is he a lock for first-ballot HoF?

Have been away from JN for the past couple of months, but with Revis, Marshall, and Mangold (:unsure:) getting the (deserved) ax this week, figured I'd find time.

Given what we know now and how Revis' career is unfolding, has anyone's stance changed?

I think he'll get in on the first shot, but I'm still on the fence about whether he deserves it. '09-'11: maybe the best ever (because of Rex's schemes). But a significant fall from grace since. 

On 12/7/2016 at 2:47 PM, nyjunc said:

so owners can cut players when they want but you don't want players to be able to fight for every dollar they can make?

we TRADED him then made no attempt to get him back after TB released him even though he made it known he wanted to come back.

you know he has surgery in the offseason and wasn't healthy, right?

my head hurts.

The bolded statement - and it's stated all the time - is simply wrong.

Owners can't cut players whenever they want.  Owners can only cut players if it says so in the contract.  Owners ALWAYS abide by the contract.  There is NOTHING in the football CBA that says you CAN't have a guaranteed contract.  It's what is negotiated in each contract.

If every players held out whenever they didn't like their contract the league would fall apart.  There are plenty of good players playing under a contract they don't believe is fair.  Yet hold outs are rare, let alone multiple holdouts in a short career.

Revis was a selfish player.

Owners can't cut players whenever they want.  Owners can only cut players if it says so in the contract.  Owners ALWAYS abide by the contract.  There is NOTHING in the football CBA that says you CAN't have a guaranteed contract.  It's what is negotiated in each contract.
If every players held out whenever they didn't like their contract the league would fall apart.  There are plenty of good players playing under a contract they don't believe is fair.  Yet hold outs are rare, let alone multiple holdouts in a short career.

And none of that is used to determine if he is a hall of fame player. Off the field means zero.

First ballot. Period

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

On 3/4/2017 at 6:51 AM, FidelioJet said:

owners can cut players at any time, they have to pay the guaranteed portion of the contract but anything unguaranteed they do not have to pay.

Revis was a great player and great negotiator.

On 9/19/2016 at 11:16 AM, PatsFanTX said:

2 good years do not get you in the HOF on the first ballot.

Also, his stats are terrible (HOF voters love stats) and he will only have 1 Super Bowl ring.

No way he gets in on the first ballot.

stats? what stats?

and he had the 2 greatest years ever for a cover corner and a bunch of other HOF caliber seasons.  he's the best cover corner of all time.  he's a lock HOfer, whether it's first ballot or not who cares? jason taylor who wasn't half the player revis was made it first ballot so who knows?

• 1 year later...
6 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

5 years start today. Now that it's all said and done, anyone want to change their minds? Is he still getting in on the first ballot?

I'm sticking to my original answer from I started the thread: Revis is a HoFer, but not on the first ballot.

i tend to agree.  he needed a couple more seasons and he also needed to be on a more successful team.

9 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

5 years start today. Now that it's all said and done, anyone want to change their minds? Is he still getting in on the first ballot?

I'm sticking to my original answer from I started the thread: Revis is a HoFer, but not on the first ballot.

ugghhhh,.. who else will be on the same ballot 5 yrs from now  ? 

?

On September 19, 2016 at 11:08 AM, greenwichjetfan said:

10 days between Jets games, and we're about to start the mid-week lull...so hopefully we can get a good discussion going here:

When Revis was called out by JR Smith for his poor play the past two weeks, he replied with, "still heading to Canton though[...]". 

The fact that he was the best in the business for 2 years, elite for about 5 years, and has a super bowl ring - especially in the pass happy NFL with freaks playing the WR position, should get him in; but he'll need at least 3-5 more seasons of above average play to make first-ballot.  

While his highs have been higher than anyone I've ever seen (or, higher than anyone in NFL history as supported by empirical evidence), his full career has yet to take shape. If the past two weeks are an indication of things to come, and his CB career crumbles quickly and he doesn't adjust and move to safety, I don't see first ballot. A couple of comps:

- Champ Bailey never converted to safety, but he had a sustainable and productive career at CB going into his very late 30's. 
- Charles Woodson eventually did convert to safety as his CB play slid, and actually performed very well there as well, going into his late 30's. 

So, quite simply, is he a lock for first-ballot HoF?

i don't think he played long enough to warrant a first ballot hall of fame induction.  Let's see if he gets in one day, but he will never be consider an all time great CB .( have to do it much longer than he did.  JMO

Edited by Raideraholic

Revis is retiring in a pretty weak HOF class.  I mean Witten, Demarcus Murray aren't exactly first ballot material.

He is also indisputably the best CB of his generation and probably the last 10 years (before that you run into Woodson and Champ Bailey).  I'd say he is a top 10 of all time and in his prime was maybe a top 5 in ability, and of course he has a superbowl ring which *is* important in the voting.

I think that puts him in a pretty good position to at least be considered.  After that it's hard because of hte crazy amount of logjam in the HOF and it depends on who else is being considered that year.

25 minutes ago, varjet said:

Who would you rather see in the HoF?  

Revis or Klecko?

Revis was the much better player.  I love Joe, one of my favorite all time Jets but he's not be close to the level of Revis.  Revis is a lock, Joe may never get in

He would be a first ballot hall of famer in my book if he had only stayed his whole career with the J-E-T-S! But of course he went to the evil empire in New England so that tarnishes his reputation in my opinion. Sure he played well for the first few seasons with the Jets and then he came back and was fat and slow footed. He'll make the HOF but not First Ballot.

I don’t think he does other than the aforementioned point his class will be weak. He had 2 if the best seasons ever, 2 more that we’re elite, and the rest were good down to atrocious. He’s a HOFer for sure, but I don’t think he’s OVERALL top 5 CB’s ever. I think he may have had the best season or 2 as a CB ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk