Is Jalin Marshall becoming a problem?

Freemanm

1 hour ago, phill1c said:

How about the fact that we didn't create any impactful turnovers ourselves? I mean, yeah, the guy fumbled for six points. but compare that to the starting QB, who threw several INTs which kept points off the board as well as leading to six points directly? Yeah, that fumble was killer. But so was Bilal Powell's. All in all, I think people are focusing on the rookie's fumble because they are upset with the team's overall lackluster play and coaching. Don't make Marshall the scapegoat.

I'm not making him the scapegoat by any means. I think Fitz can be blamed for throwing six INTs, especially in the other team's end zone. I'm just saying that it's now fair to call Jalin Marshall a chronic fumbler (at really bad times, might I add), and as someone else pointed out, he's so far scored much TDs for our opponents than us

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Freemanm said:

I'm not making him the scapegoat by any means. I think Fitz can be blamed for throwing six INTs, especially in the other team's end zone. I'm just saying that it's now fair to call Jalin Marshall a chronic fumbler (at really bad times, might I add), and as someone else pointed out, he's so far scored much TDs for our opponents than us

Good point. But, considering we didn't score a single TD yesterday, did the timing really matter? We were down in the red zone, mere yards from a score and every time, we turned the ball over with forced passes to covered receivers. Yeah, it's never a good time for a fumble for a score, but I think the timing in this case didn't matter because we had plenty of opportunities and cashed in NONE of them.

12 hours ago, JetBlue said:

Why is he playing over Robby Anderson who had a better preseason and is more explosive?  It makes absolutely no sense. 

I think you'll see more of Anderson later in the season when Petty takes over at QB.  Right now Fitz can't get him the ball on a regular basis.  It's the same as Devin Smith when he gets healthy.  The reason Enunwa, Decker, and B. Marshall get most of the passes is that they can ward of db's with their bodies to compensate for Fitz's lack of arm strength.

1 hour ago, phill1c said:

Good point. But, considering we didn't score a single TD yesterday, did the timing really matter? We were down in the red zone, mere yards from a score and every time, we turned the ball over with forced passes to covered receivers. Yeah, it's never a good time for a fumble for a score, but I think the timing in this case didn't matter because we had plenty of opportunities and cashed in NONE of them.

As I said, there is more than enough blame to go around for yesterday's fiasco. That loss was alarming, not just because we lost but the way we lost. Marshall, while he has some skills, is a chronic fumbler. His fumble for six (for the second game in a row) put the Jets down 17-3 and Fitz had to do what he's worst at, which is throw the ball downfield trying to play catch up.

Marshall needs to be removed as return man.  The return game is meaningless in the current NFL meta, and he's cost us far more than he's given us thus far.  Put someone back there who can hold on tot he god damn ball.  That's the ONLY skill a returner must have in this current version of the NFL.

Just now, Freemanm said:

As I said, there is more than enough blame to go around for yesterday's fiasco. That loss was alarming, not just because we lost but the way we lost. Marshall, while he has some skills, is a chronic fumbler. His fumble for six (for the second game in a row) put the Jets down 17-3 and Fitz had to do what he's worst at, which is throw the ball downfield trying to play catch up.

yeah yeah. But how can you be a "chronic" fumbler when you've had all of three games in the league?

And the notion that you've really put a crimp in your offensive gameplan by forcing the QB to throw downfield makes it seem like we're playing in the 1960s. The QB should ALWAYS be looking to go downfield. The idea that every drive has to be 12 or more plays to score is absurdly out of tune with the today's NFL. In the one game the Jets actually won, the offense played well BECAUSE it was hitting passes downfield.

11 hours ago, phill1c said:

How about the fact that we didn't create any impactful turnovers ourselves? I mean, yeah, the guy fumbled for six points. but compare that to the starting QB, who threw several INTs which kept points off the board as well as leading to six points directly? Yeah, that fumble was killer. But so was Bilal Powell's. All in all, I think people are focusing on the rookie's fumble because they are upset with the team's overall lackluster play and coaching. Don't make Marshall the scapegoat.

Look, Fitz had the worst game that I have ever watched, and yes, that needs to be addressed. 

However, just because some one else on the team had a worse day, doesn't mean that you over look this kid having back to back massive mistakes on his own in the last 2 weeks.  He tries to run out a few kicks a game, and fumbles once a game.  They'd be better off with me back there just taking a knee in the end zone.

1 minute ago, chirorob said:

Look, Fitz had the worst game that I have ever watched, and yes, that needs to be addressed. 

However, just because some one else on the team had a worse day, doesn't mean that you over look this kid having back to back massive mistakes on his own in the last 2 weeks.  He tries to run out a few kicks a game, and fumbles once a game.  They'd be better off with me back there just taking a knee in the end zone.

Ok, I can see that as a reasonable argument. But until he had the fumble yesterday, he had ONE fumble. Contrast that with Fitzpatrick's last 4 starts in which he's thrown, idk, 8 picks, [at least] two of which were returned for TDs.

7 hours ago, Joejet said:

I think you'll see more of Anderson later in the season when Petty takes over at QB.  Right now Fitz can't get him the ball on a regular basis.  It's the same as Devin Smith when he gets healthy.  The reason Enunwa, Decker, and B. Marshall get most of the passes is that they can ward of db's with their bodies to compensate for Fitz's lack of arm strength.

Sad but true, however I think Anderson is capable of running shorter routes and just needs the opportunity.  I mean they could run some slants with him as well.  

6 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

He is fast but does not carry the ball properly. He was a gamble, and don't think the gamble is paying off.

I just think they are rushing him a bit.  I was really surprised he has been receiving as much PT as he had.  I mean he wasn't even the most impressive rookie receiver in preseason, Anderson was.  Thought they should have just let him focus on returning kicks and punts.  He has been asked to do too much too soon in my opinion.   Let him sit for a week or two and focus on ball security more than trying to return everything for a touchdown,. 

6 hours ago, Freemanm said:

Yet we still had multiple opportunities to come back and Fitz kept throwing endzone INTs including forcing the ball to J. Marshall in double coverage when he had Enunwa with single coverage.   I don't care what anyone says, this loss is squarely on the back of Fitzpatrick. 

The coaching staff need to work on the way he carries the ball. It is a problem, but it doesn't mean that he is a problem.

You want the team to get younger and more explosive, you need to give these rookies a shot. Otherwise, don't complain that the coach is relying too much on his veterans.

If he doesn't improve then he is a problem.

6 minutes ago, BroadwayJets said:

He's been a problem since the PS. He dropped a KO also, which I'm sure people have already forgotten about. Drops and fumbles. He should stay the KR, but get Anderson on the field before him, every time.

I don't think Anderson and Marshall play the same position in the offensive scheme. Marshall is supposed to be playing the slot so they can get Decker on the outside more. I don't know why but Decker wanted to play there even though he dominated the slot. If I had my druthers, Marshall and Anderson would be on the outside and Decker in the slot. Gailey and the staff are going away from what works it seems, and Decker's production is down.

21 hours ago, Jets Daily Dosage. said:

Why Robby Anderson isn't starting over him baffles me

Anderson's big advantage (one of them) is his speed; Fitz's biggest drawback is his weak (for NFL standards). That being said, I would like the Jets to give him more shots as he seems to get open and he seems to catch everything that goes his way.

I did hear, however, not sure if it is true, that he needs to work on his route running and blocking. He is getting a little experience and hopefully he will get more touches. It is a good problem to have; last year we had no depth at WR; now we have 3 rookies that are showing potential, and Q has become our #3. There just aren't that many touches to go around. I do think that the Jets should run more 4WR formations. Anderson needs to do what he has been doing, practicing hard and taking advantage of the plays when he gets in.

Yesterday he beat his man, and it would have been a TD if Fitz didn't under throw it. But, he slowed down and made a good catch. If he keeps up the good work, he will find more playing time.

1 minute ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

I don't think Anderson and Marshall play the same position in the offensive scheme. Marshall is supposed to be playing the slot so they can get Decker on the outside more. I don't know why but Decker wanted to play there even though he dominated the slot. If I had my druthers, Marshall and Anderson would be on the outside and Decker in the slot. Gailey and the staff are going away from what works it seems, and Decker's production is down.

Did Decker really request that? Not doubting you, I'm just not sure. Either way, get his *ss back in the slot! He needs targets

3 minutes ago, BroadwayJets said:

Did Decker really request that? Not doubting you, I'm just not sure. Either way, get his *ss back in the slot! He needs targets

http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/jets/q-a-with-jets-eric-decker-i-want-more-deep-patterns-1.12298066

Newsday: Why’d you feel the need to remind Dorrell that you’re capable of going downfield too?

Decker: “I was in the slot last year and I just don’t think I ran a lot of deep patterns last year, something I did in Denver. And I just want to be able to complement my game by running deep patterns, intermediate patterns, short patterns. Defenses, they study and there are smart defensive backs. They know, ‘This is the tendency this guy runs. This is what he does.’ So it opens up my game by being able to go downfield and open that can of worms up.”

Archived