The fallacy this is a 'win now' team

Augustiniak

1 minute ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Exactly. 

Rebuilding for 40 years and we get what. A brief 2 year runs and then rebuild again for the next ten years ? This is why I don't even get upset anymore. I laugh at it now because no matter what this team does it always ends in disaster. 

HC's seem to always first year guys, QB's no matter where they are drafted with suck, or tease us. 

I am in full belief that I will never see this team is a Super Bowl in my lifetime. I accept it and it is what it is. Just entertain me now until October when the baseball playoffs start and hockey season begins. 

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, shawn306 said:

Rebuilding for 40 years and we get what. A brief 2 year runs and then rebuild again for the next ten years ? This is why I don't even get upset anymore. I laugh at it now because no matter what this team does it always ends in disaster. 

HC's seem to always first year guys, QB's no matter where they are drafted with suck, or tease us. 

I am in full belief that I will never see this team is a Super Bowl in my lifetime. I accept it and it is what it is. Just entertain me now until October when the baseball playoffs start and hockey season begins. 

That's another thing that bothers me. Ex head coaches of other teams are ex head coaches for a reason. Why would you want to hire them?

We are a tweener team, and the managements thought is to be competitive as you rebuild, like other teams in this league do.  This line of thinking has a fatal flaw, that being you can do that if you have a franchise QB.  If you don't you are pooched.  On their best days this team can beat any team in this league so we are hoping for a eeek into the playoffs and get hot Giants like run.

I keep harping on this but the Defense is hugely overrated, the resources and rep of this unit is that it should be winning games for us but they don't, the team still has to score a fair bit on offense to win.  Our game manager has to be more than a game manger and when he tries to extend himself we get the heinous disaster that was yesterday.

Just now, Beerfish said:

We are a tweener team, and the managements thought is to be competitive as you rebuild, like other teams in this league do.  This line of thinking has a fatal flaw, that being you can do that if you have a franchise QB.  If you don't you are pooched.  On their best days this team can beat any team in this league so we are hoping for a eeek into the playoffs and get hot Giants like run.

I keep harping on this but the Defense is hugely overrated, the resources and rep of this unit is that it should be winning games for us but they don't, the team still has to score a fair bit on offense to win.  Our game manager has to be more than a game manger and when he tries to extend himself we get the heinous disaster that was yesterday.

fitz is not a game manager.  he's a risk-taking qb who does not take care of the football.  alex smith is a game manager.

Just now, UnitedWhofans said:

That's another thing that bothers me. Ex head coaches of other teams are ex head coaches for a reason. Why would you want to hire them?

Some are bad, and some their time in one place has passed and they move on. Unless you are the Steelers who never fire HC's or Bellichick.

Andy Reid did a great job in Philly while they didn't win the Super Bowl they got their and hosted a ton of playoff games and he is doing a good job now with the Chiefs. 

Dungy got the Bucs to a certain level and then had to move on to Indy. 

Coughlin going for the Jags to the Giants.

I am sure there are a few more but sometimes you have to go with an established product. Not the new guy all the time.

Just now, Augustiniak said:

fitz is not a game manager.  he's a risk-taking qb who does not take care of the football.  alex smith is a game manager.

I can live with that definition, it doesn't change my opinion of the ills of this team, pick game manger or pick risk taker he is limited and if he does not exceed expectations as far as his play goes we do not win.  Our defense doe snot win games for us or even keep us in them very often.  A lot of flash but sh*tty performance whether it is the coaches or the players.

Just now, shawn306 said:

Some are bad, and some their time in one place has passed and they move on. Unless you are the Steelers who never fire HC's or Bellichick.

Andy Reid did a great job in Philly while they didn't win the Super Bowl they got their and hosted a ton of playoff games and he is doing a good job now with the Chiefs. 

Dungy got the Bucs to a certain level and then had to move on to Indy. 

Coughlin going for the Jags to the Giants.

I am sure there are a few more but sometimes you have to go with an established product. Not the new guy all the time.

I dont want Norv Turner or Lovie Smith becoming the head coach

4 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Well that's large of you to say he,didn't improve the team and then say you don't care that the team went from 4 wins to 10.  They're not wasting time, they're trying to build a team, rebuild the defense, make it faster.  Not drafting 11 starters to each unit in 2 seasons.  Anyone who thought any GM was going to come in here and redo the whole team in 2 drafts was mistaken.  Or find a brand new rookie version of A Rodgers immediately.  Shlt it took Rodgers 4'years to become Rodgers 

Assuming you've been watching football for more than 2 seconds, then you and I both know the difference between a team that's built right and built to last. I could care less about a flash in the pan season. They never go anywhere, and they rarely yield anything but a low draft pick. 

2 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Assuming you've been watching football for more than 2 seconds, then you and I both know the difference between a team that's built right and built to last. I could care less about a flash in the pan season. They never go anywhere, and they rarely yield anything but a low draft pick. 

And winning 10 games means they can't get better? 

Funny, enpregame show on NFLN and they all felt the Jets were a better team this season than last years team.  Liked the new players.  

Wonder if one loss has them scrapping that idea and jumping off the ledge too? 

Funny, enpregame show on NFLN and they all felt the Jets were a better team this season than last years team.  Liked the new players.  

Apparently you have it all figured out. A true beacon of reason and wisdom. I guess I'm just always wrong and you're completely right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

46 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

revis has clearly regressed, fitz isn't good, harris had lost a step and was never really that fast, and brandon marshall continues to drop passes.  the media loves to say this is a win now team but the guys who are in 'win now' mode aren't playing good football enough of the time.  the offense may well be better with petty throwing to peake and robbie anderson more, to stretch the field and open up the run game.  the defense is mostly young, with the new lbs looking good.  the vets who are still playing well are mangold and forte, and rbs are very replaceable.

And if/when the team drops out of contention, the team will assuredly act like a "win in two/three years" rebuild, and play the youths.

Till then, it is what it is.

3 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Because they reckoned without the schedule.

5 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Apparently you have it all figured out. A true beacon of reason and wisdom. I guess I'm just always wrong and you're completely right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doesn't take a beacon of reason and wisdom to see that the team was better in 15 than in 14.  Argue against it all you want. So If you're keeping score, that's on you.  Don't be a girl and come back with that nonsense.  Never get fans who post on the Internet and get their panties twisted if someone dissagrees with them.  And it's always the ones who tell everyone they know better than all.  The draft, you know better.  Game plans you know better.  QBs you know better.  WRs, you know better.  Troubled players who are dumped, you know better.  But you're going to cry if someone disagrees with you.  Cute.

Just now, jeremy2020 said:

It's not a fallacy that this is a "win now" team. They've signed veterans to big contracts. They brought back a veteran QB which meant 4 QBs on the roster instead of going with a younger guy. 

It's just bad "win now" team.

All on short term deals. Because it buys Macc time to reload the roster with young talent. It is a "compete now" team

8 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

I dont want Norv Turner or Lovie Smith becoming the head coach

Neither do I. Woody and Macc should know which one's are the good one's and which ones are going to be no better that a coordinator.

Andy Reid would have been a great choice IMO when he left Philly after 2012 but Woody wanted to keep Rex.

Guys like Norv, Lovie, Spagnola, Gailey Josh McDaniels do great jobs as coordinators but just are not HC's. But a guy like Reid who still wanted to coach; I would have been on the phone with a minute after he left Philly.

4 minutes ago, Warfish said:

And if/when the team drops out of contention, the team will assuredly act like a "win in two/three years" rebuild, and play the youths.

Till then, it is what it is.

exactly.  mccags knows he's not winning with fitz, but his only other option is to play geno, which he clearly doesn't want to do, or play petty when they're still in playoff contention.  it will all sort itself out over time, but it is frustrating that this is the transition year, away from fitz/marshall/revis being the focus of the team.  that's what this year is about.

2 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Doesn't take a beacon of reason and wisdom to see that the team was better in 15 than in 14.  Argue against it all you want. So If you're keeping score, that's on you.  Don't be a girl and come back with that nonsense.  Never get fans who post on the Internet and get their panties twisted if someone dissagrees with them.  And it's always the ones who tell everyone they know better than all.  The draft, you know better.  Game plans you know better.  QBs you know better.  WRs, you know better.  Troubled players who are dumped, you know better.  But you're going to cry if someone disagrees with you.  Cute.

no, yea totally. You're 100% right. As you always are. Nothing to see here. 

exactly.  mccags knows he's not winning with fitz, but his only other option is to play geno, which he clearly doesn't want to do, or play petty when they're still in playoff contention.  it will all sort itself out over time, but it is frustrating that this is the transition year, away from fitz/marshall/revis being the focus of the team.  that's what this year is about.

Bingo

And Petty is hurt and not ready, or so I hear.

Presuming the worst, we'll know Mac's plan when we're out of the running (loss #5 or 6 if we go as we're going) and who plays QB from that point on.

22 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Because they win a ton of SB's?

Belichck

Gruden

Carroll

Coughlin

Vermeil

Kubiak

Dungy

Just now, AFJF said:

Because they win a ton of SB's?

Belichck

Gruden

Carroll

Coughlin

Vermeil

Kubiak

Dungy

Of those, only Kubiak, Dungy, Gruden and Coughlin moved on immediately.

The others rebuilt value over time. The only coaches that fit that contingent now are Gruden and Cowher. And they are not leaving their jobs.

3 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Of those, only Kubiak, Dungy, Gruden and Coughlin moved on immediately.

The others rebuilt value over time. The only coaches that fit that contingent now are Gruden and Cowher. And they are not leaving their jobs.

Was only answering the question "why hire an ex-coach"

My answer was that most SBs are won by somebody else's ex-coach.

Archived