No Home Field Advantage Today

isired

10 minutes ago, no psls said:

That's $7000.00 that you should not have had to pay . If a rich owner wants to build HIMSELF a football stadium , LET HIM PAY FOR IT . PSL's are legalized extortion . Who benefitsand makes money from the stadium ; the owner , not the fan  .

1.  PSL's are a fact of life in the NFL, so I do have to pay.
2.  The money I spent on PSL's in 2009 is long gone, I don't think about it one iota, I spend more on a single family vacation to the Bahamas.
3.  The Jets did not raise ticket prices the $30 to $75 I expected so my PSL's actually amounted to $0 vs the budget I had set for them.
4.  PSL's allow me to legally sell my seats any time I want if I relocate for work or no longer can go to games, I can make some money back.
5.  My 4 seats in MetLife Stadium cost me $533 a year, $16,000 over the 30 year PSL period.
6.  A pack-a-day smoker will spend $4,745 a year on cigarettes, $142,350 over the 30 year PSL period.
7.  A dog owner will spend $875 a year on food and care, $26,250 over the 30 year PSL period.

Stop smoking, shoot your dog, then you can tell me what a waste of money PSL's are.

SAR I

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, no psls said:

You are a bigger shill for this team than Greg Buttle ; and that's hard to do !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You live in an imaginary world where fans are angry about fun money they spent 8 years ago.

SAR I

In the past 10 years every sports team in the tri state area either has a new or renovated stadium or arena.  The Knicks and Rangers had MSG renovated, the Devils went to Prudential, the Yankees got Yankee Stadium, Mets got Citifield, the Nets and Islanders got the Barclays.  If you visit any of the teams listed I'd bet almost all of them are unhappy in their new arenas or renovated arenas. 

The older generation had season tickets and went to every game.  With changes in technology most people these days are happy to just go on Stubhub a couple days before a game and buy tickets.  Not many people want the season ticket commitment anymore.

8 hours ago, SAR I said:

The Jets hadn't raised prices since 2009, that's 7 years and we were paying the same thing we were paying in Giants Stadium.  That time off from a price increase practically eliminated the PSL in my instance, I'd expected a $30 to $50 price increase by now, never happened.

When you are "rebuilding" it takes years.  If you aren't the type of fan willing to put in the hard time for the moment in the future when we rise from the ashes then you're the definition of a front runner.  As a New York Rangers fan whose 4 year high school career aligned with Islanders dominance in the 80s I can tell you that the pain and suffering I felt back then added to the joy I felt when we won it all in '94.  You can't just drop-out on the Jets when we are in a down cycle and pick it back up when we are good again, doesn't work that way.

SAR I

Hey, my dad was a Rangers fan his whole life. He passed away in may 1994 and never got to see those assholes win the Stanley cup. So it could be worse.

i didn't "drop out on the Jets". I used to take the bus from Nj to ny and then the subway to shea from 1978-1980 as a kid lol. Back then you had to listen to Marty glickman and Dave Herman calling the Jets home games on the radio because they weren't on tv. 1978-2007. They asked for a substantial increase in cost for a shared stadium and we have a garbage product. I decided to do a smart thing and give up my tickets. Our co tenants tickets are cheaper and occupy the same stadium and they've won two Super Bowls in the last 10 years. 

Thanks! But I'll go to one game a year and do two or three road trips and enjoy myself. Enjoy the games with the opposing fans!

On 10/2/2016 at 9:54 PM, joewilly12 said:

Thank you 

Many longtime fans were priced out of the stadium the "blue-collar" guys.  They showed up each and every week win or lose I sat in the UD and LL and it was the same people every game made a lot of friends and actually tailgated with a lot of the people who sat around us in both locations. 

We need to try something even if it is Geno Smith can he really do any worse than what Fitzparrick is doing if he does we cut him. 

As someone who is a bit older,  family things will tend to make you less likely to go to games. I have seen enough Pop Warner and HS football that going to another game on fall weekends became too much.Anyone with kids has obligations-youth football, basketball, soccer, hockey, other stuff(music, if you have girls, dance, plays, etc.)  There were other reasons, like Sandy destroying a house. And when you kids get to choosing a college, you will spend the better part of their senior year going to colleges( in our case this very fall, watching even more football as part of possibly playing in college!). As life adds stuff to do, burning 6-8 days every fall as opposed to simply sitting on your couch wasn't a hard decision. Have traveled and gone to a home game here and there.

But further truth is the failure of this franchise to sustain success, go to the playoffs and get home playoff games made it easier to stop going. An truth is when you do go to MetLife, you are treated like a criminal and overcharged for the "privilege".  Wonder how much of the misbehavior is a result of that. Doesn't absolve people acting like a-holes, but explains it. 

7 hours ago, SAR I said:

1.  PSL's are a fact of life in the NFL, so I do have to pay.
2.  The money I spent on PSL's in 2009 is long gone, I don't think about it one iota, I spend more on a single family vacation to the Bahamas.
3.  The Jets did not raise ticket prices the $30 to $75 I expected so my PSL's actually amounted to $0 vs the budget I had set for them.
4.  PSL's allow me to legally sell my seats any time I want if I relocate for work or no longer can go to games, I can make some money back.
5.  My 4 seats in MetLife Stadium cost me $533 a year, $16,000 over the 30 year PSL period.
6.  A pack-a-day smoker will spend $4,745 a year on cigarettes, $142,350 over the 30 year PSL period.
7.  A dog owner will spend $875 a year on food and care, $26,250 over the 30 year PSL period.

Stop smoking, shoot your dog, then you can tell me what a waste of money PSL's are.

SAR I

GO AWAY YOU SHILL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 hours ago, BP said:

Hey, my dad was a Rangers fan his whole life. He passed away in may 1994 and never got to see those assholes win the Stanley cup. So it could be worse.

i didn't "drop out on the Jets". I used to take the bus from Nj to ny and then the subway to shea from 1978-1980 as a kid lol. Back then you had to listen to Marty glickman and Dave Herman calling the Jets home games on the radio because they weren't on tv. 1978-2007. They asked for a substantial increase in cost for a shared stadium and we have a garbage product. I decided to do a smart thing and give up my tickets. Our co tenants tickets are cheaper and occupy the same stadium and they've won two Super Bowls in the last 10 years. 

Thanks! But I'll go to one game a year and do two or three road trips and enjoy myself. Enjoy the games with the opposing fans!

Regarding your dad, that's the saddest thing I've heard all year.  To fall one month short of seeing them win it all, I'm so sorry.

Regarding you, come on, get to the games again.  Maccagnan has his priorities straight and Brady and Belli will be gone soon, it's going to be a fun decade and right now is the ground floor of the team that is going to deliver us a Championship.  It's an exciting time.

SAR I

1 hour ago, Bugg said:

As someone who is a bit older,  family things will tend to make you less likely to go to games. I have seen enough Pop Warner and HS football that going to another game on fall weekends became too much.Anyone with kids has obligations-youth football, basketball, soccer, hockey, other stuff(music, if you have girls, dance, plays, etc.)  There were other reasons, like Sandy destroying a house. And when you kids get to choosing a college, you will spend the better part of their senior year going to colleges( in our case this very fall, watching even more football as part of possibly playing in college!). As life adds stuff to do, burning 6-8 days every fall as opposed to simply sitting on your couch wasn't a hard decision. Have traveled and gone to a home game here and there.

But further truth is the failure of this franchise to sustain success, go to the playoffs and get home playoff games made it easier to stop going. An truth is when you do go to MetLife, you are treated like a criminal and overcharged for the "privilege".  Wonder how much of the misbehavior is a result of that. Doesn't absolve people acting like a-holes, but explains it. 

On the subject of age, yes, I agree that raising kids, visiting colleges, and other priorities trump spending 7 hours watching the Jets play mediocre football on Sunday's.

On the subject of our new stadium, the place is 10x better than Giants Stadium, it's clean, it's professional, the lines are manageable, the staff is courteous, the gameday experience is better than it ever was in the old joint.  The misbehavior is almost negligible now, used to be in the 90s you'd see a drunkard fight at least 3x a game, you'd see people vomiting from all the alcohol constantly.  Since the move to MetLife, I haven't seen a single fight or even a drunkard in the stadium, that's all been cleaned up, just nice New Yorkers watching their team play with their children.  The miscreants who were causing all the problems are in their 70s now, they've been replaced with a new generation that has manners and doesn't need public drunkenness to interfere with their enjoyment of a football game.  It's how it should be.

SAR I

1 hour ago, no psls said:

GO AWAY YOU SHILL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nope.  I'm a PSL owner and a loyal season ticket holder.  I don't need to go away. 

You need to stop living a lie and hear the truth.  Don't worry.  I'm here to help.

SAR I

11 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Nope.  I'm a PSL owner and a loyal season ticket holder.  I don't need to go away. 

You need to stop living a lie and hear the truth.  Don't worry.  I'm here to help.

SAR I

SHILL SHILL SHILL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12 minutes ago, The Green Dude said:

I have seasons in 146 and I said the exact same thing. They were everywhere... I guess that's what happens after a 8 turnover game... people sell their tickets in disgust. 

True story...A friend of my sons father bought 8 PSLs he's a Jets fan he purposely sells them when the big draws come to town he jacks up the prices and these fans pay the price he's paying off the PSL he does this all the time.  Im sure there are many others doing the same thing. 

Correct me if I'm wrong but the Jets lifted the rule that anyone who is in the seats and stirs trouble any trouble is ejected and season tickets are revoked,true or false.

You realize that Vikings stadium holds 20,000 fewer fans than MetLife does, yes?  And that with perfect indoor conditions is ruins one of the best natural homefield advantages in all of sports, yes?
So this is what you want?  A small Jets stadium that would displace 15,000 fans and raise ticket prices and PSL fees even higher?  A warm Jets stadium that lets the Dolphins and the aging Tom Brady play in 75 degree windless sunshine in December and January?
The irony.  You are describing a stadium that feels like a quaint living room with a warm fireplace.  Sound familiar?  It's what you have now.  Just with cheaper pretzels.
SAR I

You do realize the home team determines whether the roof is opened or closed, right?

17 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

You do realize the home team determines whether the roof is opened or closed, right?

From the NFL’s Policy Manual for Member Clubs: Volume II, the operation of retractable roofs are subject to the ground rules (for once, meant literally) set by the NFL. Retractable roofs are installed in the home fields of the Cardinals, Colts, Cowboys, and Texans. For Wild Card and Divisional Playoff games, the home team is not part of the decision process, but the NFL will refer to a team’s written policies when making a roof determination. For the Conference Championship games and the Super Bowl, the commissioner or his designate has sole authority over the status of the retractable roof.

SAR I

11 hours ago, SAR I said:

Good post, Hofstra.

I view the Jets as in a transition from the drunkard generation to the diehard generation, from 55 year old fans in a midlife crisis who just want to get away from the wife and life's troubles and get piss drunk to 35 year old fans who enthusiastically want to support the team with their voices and want to do it with the wife and kids to celebrate life's successes.  From a boorish Boys Club to a cherished family experience.  An NFL tailgate is one of the last vestiges of old 42nd Street culture with the squeegee guys, the prostitutes, the booze, the lawlessness.

So in that transition, some strange things occur.  The helmet races, the tee-boys, the contests, the t-shirt cannons, all designed to make the kids happy.  To allow normal people to navigate around the belligerent drunks, they created Club parking lots.  To allow good people to avoid exposure to the burping and farting and cursing, PSL's move these malcontents to the upper decks.  The pie-shaped stadium design keeps fans in their specific sections, no mingling, strict class division.  Within a decade or two they'll all be gone, tailgating will be viewed as a charming relic, alcohol will be outlawed at all stadiums.  Can't wait.

SAR I

Well a 55 year old and 35 year old are at vastly different stages in their lives. One most likely has kids grown up who don't call them while the other have children with them. Of course the 55 year old is gona be drunker. I also don't see a problem with people getting a little drunk for their 8 Jet home games. Most Jet fans are blue collar hard working guys and gals who put in some long hours. If they want to have fun and get loud 8 days of the year then that's their right. An NFL game is an NFL game, gotta know that ahead of time before you take your 5 year old daughter. Just saying...

From the NFL’s Policy Manual for Member Clubs: Volume II, the operation of retractable roofs are subject to the ground rules (for once, meant literally) set by the NFL. Retractable roofs are installed in the home fields of the Cardinals, Colts, Cowboys, and Texans. For Wild Card and Divisional Playoff games, the home team is not part of the decision process, but the NFL will refer to a team’s written policies when making a roof determination. For the Conference Championship games and the Super Bowl, the commissioner or his designate has sole authority over the status of the retractable roof.
SAR I

Playoffs only.

You know when and why that rule that NFL has total control of the stadium/playing field was put in place for playoff games?

2 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

Playoffs only.

You know when and why that rule that NFL has total control of the stadium/playing field was put in place for playoff games?

My earlier point was that if the goal is to get to the Super Bowl one must have home playoff games and a comfy dome in the playoffs is a sure way to let warm/dome teams come up to the cold north and beat you.  8 of 16 AFC teams are warm or dome teams. 

I don't recall why the NFL made this decision, but it makes sense to avoid the Mud Bowl scenario where a single home team representative can unexpectedly and unfairly allow the elements to affect an elimination game.

SAR I

I don't recall why the NFL made this decision, but it makes sense to avoid the Mud Bowl scenario where a single home team representative can unexpectedly and unfairly allow the elements to affect an elimination game.
SAR I

That is exactly why the NFL took control of all playoff games.

20 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Well a 55 year old and 35 year old are at vastly different stages in their lives. One most likely has kids grown up who don't call them while the other have children with them. Of course the 55 year old is gona be drunker. I also don't see a problem with people getting a little drunk for their 8 Jet home games. Most Jet fans are blue collar hard working guys and gals who put in some long hours. If they want to have fun and get loud 8 days of the year then that's their right. An NFL game is an NFL game, gotta know that ahead of time before you take your 5 year old daughter. Just saying...

And that is why a lot of people don't go to games anymore.. because of drunks.. 

Football is a family thing to some. While there is nothing wrong with getting drunk and having fun at a football game with friends, there are so many people who do this irresponsibly and wind up causing trouble. 

14 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

That is exactly why the NFL took control of all playoff games.

The first pain point of my burgeoning Jets fandom, twas very frustrating at the time.  9 game season was sort of BS anyway.

SAR I

41 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Most Jets fans at MetLife Stadium are not "blue collar hard working guys who put in some long hours" anymore, that's what it was like in the 90s when we had $25 gameday tickets.  Today the cheap seats are $125, it goes way up from there.  It's a different fanbase now, they've traded drunkenness for intelligence, they want to see a competitive contest, they don't want to get blotto and do a chant at a bad matchup, they simply won't show up.

20 minutes ago, Hofstra Jet said:

And that is why a lot of people don't go to games anymore.. because of drunks.. 

Football is a family thing to some. While there is nothing wrong with getting drunk and having fun at a football game with friends, there are so many people who do this irresponsibly and wind up causing trouble. 

This perfectly illustrates the dynamic at play in the NFL these days, the old guard (into it for the booze) and the new guard (into it for the family experience) co-existing for a decade while age and time does its job.

I'm one of the older fans here at 52 and was never into the alcohol so I'm thrilled with the change to 40 and 30 year olds who don't touch the stuff.  MetLife is so much safer and cleaner as a result.

SAR I

12 hours ago, Hofstra Jet said:

You're right. This stadium sucks aesthetically speaking. You could call the stadium, "Not Jets Stadium" for all I care about, I just wish it was built like the modern stadiums today. For as modern as this stadium is, its basic in every sense of the word. 

Dallas is much nicer, San Fran doesn't deal with weather like we do, Minnesota is brutal in winters, so they built a dome. Heck, even Miami built a semi-roof to attract people. This stadium is just not up with the times. 

I've been to quite a few stadiums around the league and they are all more aesthetically pleasing and much, much easier to get in and out of.  Amazingly, MetLife is far and away the most expensive stadium around, but the biggest clusterfock with bottlenecks, obstructions and clueless staff trying to herd the crowd in and out.

11 hours ago, SAR I said:

It makes no sense to have a 66,000 seat stadium in New York when the Jets and Giants routinely pack 80,000+ in there on the measly 8 games a year they play. 

SAR I

I go to almost every game, there is no way on the planet there are 80,00 fans in that place every week.  There are empty seats all over the place, especially in the upper deck.  The gray seats cover that up nicely on television, but the eyes dont lie. 

11 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

The product sucks too! Havent had a playoff game in that dungeon. 

And yet somehow, shltty team, shltty stadium, they're near the top in attendance numbers.  

You don't like the team or where they play you don't have to go.  

6 minutes ago, Green DNA said:

I go to almost every game, there is no way on the planet there are 80,00 fans in that place every week.  There are empty seats all over the place, especially in the upper deck.  The gray seats cover that up nicely on television, but the eyes dont lie. 

The tickets have been sold though.  Parking too.  

Youd get no shows in NY too, changes nothing

25 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Most Jets fans at MetLife Stadium are not "blue collar hard working guys who put in some long hours" anymore, that's what it was like in the 90s when we had $25 gameday tickets.  Today the cheap seats are $125, it goes way up from there.  It's a different fanbase now, they've traded drunkenness for intelligence, they want to see a competitive contest, they don't want to get blotto and do a chant at a bad matchup, they simply won't show up.

This perfectly illustrates the dynamic at play in the NFL these days, the old guard (into it for the booze) and the new guard (into it for the family experience) co-existing for a decade while age and time does its job.

I'm one of the older fans here at 52 and was never into the alcohol so I'm thrilled with the change to 40 and 30 year olds who don't touch the stuff.  MetLife is so much safer and cleaner as a result.

SAR I

SAR- no one showed up when we stunk and the tickets were $25 either(at least later in the season).

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

And yet somehow, shltty team, shltty stadium, they're near the top in attendance numbers.  

You don't like the team or where they play you don't have to go.  

NY/NJ/Conn tri-state area a lot of money and a lot of corporate accounts and a lot of unsold tickets being sold to opposing teams fans. 

Currently I don't.

1 hour ago, Green DNA said:

MetLife Stadium seats 82,500 fans.

Average attendance was 78,160 for 2015 and has been pretty consistent every year we've been there.  As datapoints, the Broncos average 76,000, the Chiefs 74,000, The Bills 69,000, the Patriots 66,000, and the Bengals 61,000.  The Jets lead the AFC in attendance every year since MetLife Stadium was built, and I don't think I have to point out the quality of the team during this period.

You see empty seats because the Jets and Giants have the luxury of paying in a huge market, this isn't Pittsburgh or Jacksonville.  So they built a building that can allow for more fans when the economy is better or the teams play better or NFL gains in popularity.  While you may see empty seats on TV as something negative, there are more Jets fans in MetLife Stadium than there ever were at Shea Stadium or Giants Stadium and we draw over 100,000 more fans per year than an elite team like the Patriots despite your perception that "they don't have empty seats so they must have more passionate fans".  Give me a break.

SAR I

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

SAR- no one showed up when we stunk and the tickets were $25 either(at least later in the season).

The point is that it's the product on the field that determines how close to 82,500 fans we put in seats, it's not the PSL process, it's not the ticket cost, and it's not the aesthetic of the stadium.  These things don't matter at all.

Jets fans show up.  We have a great stadium filled with great fans.  It's tiresome having stay-home Jets fans tell us how disappointed they are in us because we're not loud enough through their tiny TV speakers or they can see too many empty seats on their hi-res screens.  We're doing a great job.  We're #4 in the NFL in attendance, #1 in the AFC, and we're the only team in the league that has a direct competitor in our zip code.  We deserve praise. Lots of it, in fact.

SAR I

5 minutes ago, SAR I said:

The point is that it's the product on the field that determines how close to 82,500 fans we put in seats, it's not the PSL process, it's not the ticket cost, and it's not the aesthetic of the stadium.  These things don't matter at all.

Jets fans show up.  We have a great stadium filled with great fans.  It's tiresome having stay-home Jets fans tell us how disappointed they are in us because we're not loud enough through their tiny TV speakers or they can see too many empty seats on their hi-res screens.  We're doing a great job.  We're #4 in the NFL in attendance, #1 in the AFC, and we're the only team in the league that has a direct competitor in our zip code.  We deserve praise. Lots of it, in fact.

SAR I

I agree other than great fans.  I think our crowds are some of the worst in the league.  the only time the building gets loud is on a 3rd or 4th and short for the opponent.  I go to road games and the fans are loud throughout.

but yes it has everything to do w/ winning and losing, when we win the building will be full and when we lose it won't be but last Sunday was about PSLs.  In the old days the stadium would get taken over only when we stunk(except for when Miami was in town) and now there are so many more seats available even if it's early in the year there are a million opposing fans.  I remember game 1 against Baltimore in 2010 coming off a title game app, first game in new stadium and the place was filled w/ raven fans.

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

NY/NJ/Conn tri-state area a lot of money and a lot of corporate accounts and a lot of unsold tickets being sold to opposing teams fans. 

Currently I don't.

There are very few corp accounts in the regular seats.  No one takes clients out to an outdoor football game.  It's not basketball or hockey. 

Fans sell their tickets,on the Internet, you have no way of knowing who's buying your seat.  Internet sales hurt STs and made it easy for fans to travel.  

2 hours ago, Green DNA said:

I've been to quite a few stadiums around the league and they are all more aesthetically pleasing and much, much easier to get in and out of.  Amazingly, MetLife is far and away the most expensive stadium around, but the biggest clusterfock with bottlenecks, obstructions and clueless staff trying to herd the crowd in and out.

Across NY we've had new arenas and stadiums built for pretty much every sports team. And all of them are way easier to get in and out of than MetLife. They designed tHe stairs and escalators to dump crowds into concourses right into concessions lines. Takes forever to get in and out. There are not enough bathrooms despite knowing people at football games need to go pee. The concessions are garbage unless you are in a club. They never have enough security at the entrances so it takes forever to get in. The lack of spirals create a lot of overcrowding. 

Again, a relative does biz with the Maras' companies. Know for a fact that after going to their first Jints away game in Dallas, Jints' braintrust had a very angry series  of calls with the architects and builder asking WHAT THE F___ DID THEY SPEND A BILLION COMPARED TO DALLAS.  Remember, while NJSEA paid for some of it, the 2 teams are on the hook for some debt. Nobody, not even the 2 tenant teams, thinks is a good stadium nor worth the pricetag. Doesn't mean people like SAR cannot enjoy it, merely it's not close to the best stadium or arena around and probably close to one of the worst, even as per the teams themselves. 

Archived