No Home Field Advantage Today

isired

27 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

I agree other than great fans.  I think our crowds are some of the worst in the league.  the only time the building gets loud is on a 3rd or 4th and short for the opponent.  I go to road games and the fans are loud throughout.

We are the same fans of the Yankees, Mets, Rangers, Devils, Islanders, and Knicks, we know how to cheer, we know how to make noise, we are no different than any other fans in the region.  I was at the Jets Giants game last year, they are far quieter than we are.

27 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

but yes it has everything to do w/ winning and losing, when we win the building will be full and when we lose it won't be but last Sunday was about PSLs.  In the old days the stadium would get taken over only when we stunk(except for when Miami was in town) and now there are so many more seats available even if it's early in the year there are a million opposing fans.  I remember game 1 against Baltimore in 2010 coming off a title game app, first game in new stadium and the place was filled w/ raven fans.

That's the way of the world here in the Stubhub era.  It's very easy for fans to get seats to opponents games, I've been to road games with huge amounts of Jets fans, it's all relative.

SAR I

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, SAR I said:

We are the same fans of the Yankees, Mets, Rangers, Devils, Islanders, and Knicks, we know how to cheer, we know how to make noise, we are no different than any other fans in the region.  I was at the Jets Giants game last year, they are far quieter than we are.

That's the way of the world here in the Stubhub era.  It's very easy for fans to get seats to opponents games, I've been to road games with huge amounts of Jets fans, it's all relative.

SAR I

Giant fans are worse, in travelling to other Cities for games I have always felt NY fans are overrated,  we have this reputation that isn't earned.  very rarely(outside of MSG) do fans make any difference in games around here.

22 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Across NY we've had new arenas and stadiums built for pretty much every sports team. And all of them are way easier to get in and out of than MetLife. They designed tHe stairs and escalators to dump crowds into concourses right into concessions lines. Takes forever to get in and out. There are not enough bathrooms despite knowing people at football games need to go pee. The concessions are garbage unless you are in a club. They never have enough security at the entrances so it takes forever to get in. The lack of spirals create a lot of overcrowding. 

Again, a relative does biz with the Maras' companies. Know for a fact that after going to their first Jints away game in Dallas, Jints' braintrust had a very angry series  of calls with the architects and builder asking WHAT THE F___ DID THEY SPEND A BILLION COMPARED TO DALLAS.  Remember, while NJSEA paid for some of it, the 2 teams are on the hook for some debt. Nobody, not even the 2 tenant teams, thinks is a good stadium nor worth the pricetag. Doesn't mean people like SAR cannot enjoy it, merely it's not close to the best stadium or arena around and probably close to one of the worst, even as per the teams themselves. 

A stadium is a big bowl with seats, they aren't different from each other.  I was at a game in KC where they ran out of water.  I was at a game in New England where it took me 45 minutes to get to the upper deck.  I was at a game in Miami where I had to walk 2 miles from the parking lot to the entrance.  I was at a game in San Diego where public transportation was the only option and it took 2 hours to get out of the valley.  All stadiums have their issues.

I am not sure where you sit but in the Mezzanine it's a dream, I can get from my seats to my car in under 6 minutes, there are very short lines in the bathrooms, there are no lines at the concessions, compared to the dark/small confines of Giants Stadium this new place is a palace, couldn't be happier.

SAR I

3 hours ago, SAR I said:

Most Jets fans at MetLife Stadium are not "blue collar hard working guys who put in some long hours" anymore, that's what it was like in the 90s when we had $25 gameday tickets.  Today the cheap seats are $125, it goes way up from there.  It's a different fanbase now, they've traded drunkenness for intelligence, they want to see a competitive contest, they don't want to get blotto and do a chant at a bad matchup, they simply won't show up.

This perfectly illustrates the dynamic at play in the NFL these days, the old guard (into it for the booze) and the new guard (into it for the family experience) co-existing for a decade while age and time does its job.

I'm one of the older fans here at 52 and was never into the alcohol so I'm thrilled with the change to 40 and 30 year olds who don't touch the stuff.  MetLife is so much safer and cleaner as a result.

SAR I

Do you remember 95 and 96? Tickets were cheap then, basically giving away some upper deck seats and no one went then either. I'm not a season ticket holder but at least a couple home games each year, lots of city cops, fire fighters, mailmen etc that are Jet Fans. Not sure who this supposed Rich Jet fan base is.

3 hours ago, Hofstra Jet said:

And that is why a lot of people don't go to games anymore.. because of drunks.. 

Football is a family thing to some. While there is nothing wrong with getting drunk and having fun at a football game with friends, there are so many people who do this irresponsibly and wind up causing trouble. 

You right football is family to some. I see lots of grown dads and sons together, moms and daughters, spouses, etc. Depends what you call "causing trouble", if its yelling and dropping some foul language then don't belong in an NFL stadium. If its rowdy men physically hitting each other then I agree with you that can't be. My concern is you think you are getting tickets to a tea party. Its not and its not an AA meeting either.

When I had my season tickets there was a rule that if you sold the tickets and the person you sold them to got into any trouble at the game you lost your season tickets I guess thats not in effect any longer.  Hard pressed to control the atmosphere when its a free for all.  I used to only sell the extras to Jets fans and those that didnt sell I ate them. 

6 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

You right football is family to some. I see lots of grown dads and sons together, moms and daughters, spouses, etc. Depends what you call "causing trouble", if its yelling and dropping some foul language then don't belong in an NFL stadium. If its rowdy men physically hitting each other then I agree with you that can't be. My concern is you think you are getting tickets to a tea party. Its not and its not an AA meeting either.

Having a few beers is fine. I don't want to stop fans from doing that, but sometimes the physicality of these fans is outrageous. Most fans in the stadium on any given Sunday has a job to go to Monday morning, we do not need these fighting fools near us or our families during our Sunday outing. I do not buy tickets to attend tea parties, but I also do not buy tickets to attend fight clubs. 

9 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

When I had my season tickets there was a rule that if you sold the tickets and the person you sold them to got into any trouble at the game you lost your season tickets I guess thats not in effect any longer.  Hard pressed to control the atmosphere when its a free for all.  I used to only sell the extras to Jets fans and those that didnt sell I ate them. 

way back when the Jets had the hammer as there was a 20-30K season ticket waiting list but now the Jets(and Giants) don't have those long lists and need to beg people to buy tickets which they never had to do in the past.

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

MetLife Stadium seats 82,500 fans.

Average attendance was 78,160 for 2015 and has been pretty consistent every year we've been there.  As datapoints, the Broncos average 76,000, the Chiefs 74,000, The Bills 69,000, the Patriots 66,000, and the Bengals 61,000.  The Jets lead the AFC in attendance every year since MetLife Stadium was built, and I don't think I have to point out the quality of the team during this period.

You see empty seats because the Jets and Giants have the luxury of paying in a huge market, this isn't Pittsburgh or Jacksonville.  So they built a building that can allow for more fans when the economy is better or the teams play better or NFL gains in popularity.  While you may see empty seats on TV as something negative, there are more Jets fans in MetLife Stadium than there ever were at Shea Stadium or Giants Stadium and we draw over 100,000 more fans per year than an elite team like the Patriots despite your perception that "they don't have empty seats so they must have more passionate fans".  Give me a break.

SAR I

First of all, I never mentioned anything about passionate fans, I mentioned empty seats, which definitely is a negative, so not sure where my alleged "perception" is coming from.  We sell more tickets to the games, primarily because most of the stadium is locked in due to the PSL's.  Paid attendance is a very different thing to actual asses in the seats.  Winning would definitely change that, however the reality is also that many people have been priced out of regular attendance at the games.  The most affordable available seats are so high up that you need an oxygen tank and the players look like microdots running around on a video game.   

1 hour ago, Bugg said:

Across NY we've had new arenas and stadiums built for pretty much every sports team. And all of them are way easier to get in and out of than MetLife. They designed tHe stairs and escalators to dump crowds into concourses right into concessions lines. Takes forever to get in and out. There are not enough bathrooms despite knowing people at football games need to go pee. The concessions are garbage unless you are in a club. They never have enough security at the entrances so it takes forever to get in. The lack of spirals create a lot of overcrowding. 

Again, a relative does biz with the Maras' companies. Know for a fact that after going to their first Jints away game in Dallas, Jints' braintrust had a very angry series  of calls with the architects and builder asking WHAT THE F___ DID THEY SPEND A BILLION COMPARED TO DALLAS.  Remember, while NJSEA paid for some of it, the 2 teams are on the hook for some debt. Nobody, not even the 2 tenant teams, thinks is a good stadium nor worth the pricetag. Doesn't mean people like SAR cannot enjoy it, merely it's not close to the best stadium or arena around and probably close to one of the worst, even as per the teams themselves. 

I'm surprised they passed their safety inspection.  My seats are in Mezz A and the escalators from the upper deck need to be switched off and on to prevent the crowd from becoming a tangled pile of bodies at the bottom as it empties right into the mezz crowd in a narrow passageway.  If there is ever a fire or bomb scare or other panic causing incident, people will be trampled to death.  It boggles the mind, how someone looked at this design and thought it was a good idea.    

57 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

way back when the Jets had the hammer as there was a 20-30K season ticket waiting list but now the Jets(and Giants) don't have those long lists and need to beg people to buy tickets which they never had to do in the past.

The waiting list was long because there were profiteers pretending to be Jets fans in their grandfather's seats.

For decades, they'd sell them for 2x to 10x face value to scalpers, would never give them up, the Jets were generating a cottage industry for thousands of bad New Yorkers who put their kids through school with scalper's money and it was on the backs of loyal waitlisters like me.  I was on a waitlist for 15 long years.  Why?  Because Grandpa Joe died, his kids were making a fortune, they'd never give 'em up until Woody Johnson set proper retail prices and put PSL's on 'em.  Fantastic.

We don't have the long waitlist anymore and that's the beauty of the PSL process.  It put the tickets back in the hands of the real fans.  I am forever grateful for PSL's, finally allowed me and my family into the stadium with seats in our own name, put the scalping industry out of business.

SAR I

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

That's it, right there.   Stub Hub makes it super easy for people to travel and go to a game.  Let's face it, if you want to go to an away game, going to NY for 3 days is a nice trip.  When it is so expensive now to go to a game, a lot of people want to/need to sell a couple tickets to help pay for the season.  That, and we haven't competed for a division and a home game in.... 18 years?  If my kid started watching at the age of 7 in 2000, he's be 23 and will have never even had a thought of seeing a home play off game.

I live in Dallas, Cowboy games are usually, at best, a 60/40 split of Cowboy fans vs away fans. 

1 hour ago, kevinc855 said:

Do you remember 95 and 96? Tickets were cheap then, basically giving away some upper deck seats and no one went then either. I'm not a season ticket holder but at least a couple home games each year, lots of city cops, fire fighters, mailmen etc that are Jet Fans. Not sure who this supposed Rich Jet fan base is.

2aa2e0b455847e686c0ed9765d454d20.jpg

It's not that there is a rich fanbase per se, but understand the days of the $22.00 Giants Stadium lower level playoff ticket are very much a thing of the past.  That $22.00 ticket is the equivalent of $50.00 today, you couldn't touch something like that for under $200.00 if ever the time came for a home playoff game.

While there are 82,500 seats in MetLife Stadium, only 47,000 seats have PSL's on them.  The rest are upper deck seats or Club seats.  With the average season ticket holder having 3 seats, understand that it only takes 16,000 loyal Jets fans writing PSL checks to get all the PSL's sold and that's what happened.  16,000 people out of the 20 million people in the NY Metro area is nothing, it's a fraction of a percent.

Today's blue collar fans buy dirt cheap PSL seats on Stubhub a-la carte when the team sucks or it's an inconvenient Monday night game.  They aren't season ticket holders anymore.  Costs too much money.

SAR I

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

A stadium is a big bowl with seats, they aren't different from each other.  I was at a game in KC where they ran out of water.  I was at a game in New England where it took me 45 minutes to get to the upper deck.  I was at a game in Miami where I had to walk 2 miles from the parking lot to the entrance.  I was at a game in San Diego where public transportation was the only option and it took 2 hours to get out of the valley.  All stadiums have their issues.

I am not sure where you sit but in the Mezzanine it's a dream, I can get from my seats to my car in under 6 minutes, there are very short lines in the bathrooms, there are no lines at the concessions, compared to the dark/small confines of Giants Stadium this new place is a palace, couldn't be happier.

SAR I

I didn't go to KC, but San Diego is a great place to go to a game.  Again, it does take a while to get out and onto the 15 to get home.

Cowboys stadium is soooo much better then Met Life, it's not even close.  Still, after a game, it takes an hour to get out of the parking lot.   That's what happens when 40,000 cars are parked within 2 mile radius.

43 minutes ago, Green DNA said:

First of all, I never mentioned anything about passionate fans, I mentioned empty seats, which definitely is a negative, so not sure where my alleged "perception" is coming from.  We sell more tickets to the games, primarily because most of the stadium is locked in due to the PSL's.  Paid attendance is a very different thing to actual asses in the seats.  Winning would definitely change that, however the reality is also that many people have been priced out of regular attendance at the games.  The most affordable available seats are so high up that you need an oxygen tank and the players look like microdots running around on a video game.   

Apologies if I misunderstood, I thought you were making the case that because you can see lots of empty seats on TV the Jets don't have a fanbase as dedicated as they are in cities like Foxboro, Denver, Kansas City, Seattle, etc. when in fact we average 10,000+ more fans than they do every Sunday.  While Johnson and Mara could have built a tiny 66,000 seat stadium like Minnesota or Seattle to make the place look SRO if they wanted to, that's just not good business when they can sell so many more in this vast metropolis.

SAR I

6 minutes ago, SAR I said:

It's not that there is a rich fanbase per se, but understand the days of the $22.00 Giants Stadium lower level playoff ticket are very much a thing of the past.  That $22.00 ticket is the equivalent of $50.00 today, you couldn't touch something like that for under $200.00 if ever the time came for a home playoff game.

While there are 82,500 seats in MetLife Stadium, only 47,000 seats have PSL's on them.  The rest are upper deck seats or Club seats.  With the average season ticket holder having 3 seats, understand that it only takes 16,000 loyal Jets fans writing PSL checks to get all the PSL's sold and that's what happened.  16,000 people out of the 20 million people in the NY Metro area is nothing, it's a fraction of a percent.

Today's blue collar fans buy PSL seats on Stubhub a-la carte when the team sucks or it's an inconvenient Monday night game.  They aren't season ticket holders anymore.  Costs too much money.

SAR I

I think it was 1998 when tickets really started going up plus they started making us buy preseason.  I think that year they went up to $40 per seat. 

1 minute ago, nyjunc said:

I think it was 1998 when tickets really started going up plus they started making us buy preseason.  I think that year they went up to $40 per seat. 

What amazes me to this day about the whole "PSL's are the devil" argument is exactly what you're talking about.

All the salt-of-the-Earth blue collar Jets fans saw their ticket prices go from $22.00 (that image is from 1985) to $75.00 (in 2001 when I first had season tickets) to $125.00 (that same location in 2009) and no one said a damned thing!  All this PSL outrage, all this PSL drama, all this PSL bad press, over what? 

The Jets raised gameday ticket prices on season ticket holders from $22.00 to $125.00 in the course of 20 years but a $7 PSL fee for the next 30 years was too much?  LOL.  Makes no sense at all.

SAR I

11 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Today's blue collar fans buy PSL seats on Stubhub a-la carte when the team sucks or it's an inconvenient Monday night game.  They aren't season ticket holders anymore.  Costs too much money.

SAR I

Reality and quick look at SeatGeek for Stubhub rejects the notion that Jet fans are getting "priced out" from going to a game. Upper deck seats are available right now for the mid 6o dollar region on Seatgeak for the Jets Ravens game for example. There is only 8 home games a year to an NFL team, this is NY/NJ, not KC, I think mid 60's is fair price in 2016 for tickets to a game.

What amazes me to this day about the whole "PSL's are the devil" argument is exactly what you're talking about.

All the salt-of-the-Earth blue collar Jets fans saw their ticket prices go from $22.00 (that image is from 1985) to $75.00 (in 2001 when I first had season tickets) to $125.00 (that same location in 2009) and no one said a damned thing!  All this PSL outrage, all this PSL drama, all this PSL bad press, over what? 

The Jets raised gameday ticket prices on season ticket holders from $22.00 to $125.00 in the course of 20 years but a $7 PSL fee for the next 30 years was too much?  LOL.  Makes no sense at all.

SAR I

I started going in 1990 and they were $22.50 per ticket for 8 games(no preseason).  In 1997 it went up to $30 per game w/ no preseason.  1998 was the "big jump" going from $30 w/ no preseason to $40 and adding 2 preseason games.  then it increased almost annually from there.  

PSLs are terrible especially for a 2 team building.  they fleeced fans, they lost fans.  Leon hess was a terrible owner for the team on the field as he had no clue what to do but he didn't fleece fans, Woody does a better job on the field but he fleeces the fans.

2 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Reality and quick look at SeatGeek for Stubhub rejects the notion that Jet fans are getting "priced out" from going to a game. Upper deck seats are available right now for the mid 6o dollar region on Seatgeak for the Jets Ravens game for example. There is only 8 home games a year to an NFL team, this is NY/NJ, not KC, I think mid 60's is fair price in 2016 for tickets to a game.

I gave up my tickets years ago and I go at a fraction of the cost.  there are always good seats and good prices no matter how good or bad we are doing but you aren't a season ticket holder anymore.  some people care about that sort of thing.

50 minutes ago, Green DNA said:

I'm surprised they passed their safety inspection.  My seats are in Mezz A and the escalators from the upper deck need to be switched off and on to prevent the crowd from becoming a tangled pile of bodies at the bottom as it empties right into the mezz crowd in a narrow passageway.  If there is ever a fire or bomb scare or other panic causing incident, people will be trampled to death.  It boggles the mind, how someone looked at this design and thought it was a good idea.    

Did you see how easy it was to get in and out of arrowhead? Lol no lines and in and out. I love that stadium

2 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Agreed.  The PSL process was a boon for many people for many reasons, but the one most overlooked is that it's the PSL owner who can't go to a few games that is putting affordable seats in the hands of the blue collar fans, the retirees, the college kids, the high schoolers, this never happened in the Giants Stadium era, pricing was completely controlled by profiteering greedy grandchildren and illegal bloodthirsty scalpers.

And if the one downside to this open systems architecture is that it allows enemy fans into road stadiums, well, I say that's good too, I actually like watching the Jets beat the Patriots with a few loud mouthed Patriots fans around, makes it more satisfying.  And, not to mention, as someone who likes to take in a road game each season I like the convenience and pricing of Stubhub, it's a great tool as a seller and a buyer.

SAR I

Agreed.  The PSL process was a boon for many people for many reasons, but the one most overlooked is that it's the PSL owner who can't go to a few games that is putting affordable seats in the hands of the blue collar fans, the retirees, the college kids, the high schoolers, this never happened in the Giants Stadium era, pricing was completely controlled by profiteering greedy grandchildren and illegal bloodthirsty scalpers.

And if the one downside to this open systems architecture is that it allows enemy fans into road stadiums, well, I say that's good too, I actually like watching the Jets beat the Patriots with a few loud mouthed Patriots fans around, makes it more satisfying.  And, not to mention, as someone who likes to take in a road game each season I like the convenience and pricing of Stubhub, it's a great tool as a seller and a buyer.

SAR I

Agreed I snagged tickets for the Browns game right next to the Jets tunnel first row for way cheap. As the browns continue to lose those seats will only get cheaper. Hope to see lots of Jet fans there!

5 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

before I officially got my season tickets in 1996 I scalped at almost every game from 1990-1995(minus 1990 and 1993 where we bought seasons from someone).  I never had issues w/ pricing, you have to know how to work the scalpers.

7 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Agreed I snagged tickets for the Browns game right next to the Jets tunnel first row for way cheap. As the browns continue to lose those seats will only get cheaper. Hope to see lots of Jet fans there!

Excellent, enjoy the game!

SAR I

1 hour ago, BP said:

Did you see how easy it was to get in and out of arrowhead? Lol no lines and in and out. I love that stadium

Old Giants Stadium and Arrowhead shared a lot of the same characteristics because it was the same architect. Never been there, but figure they've updated a few things like luxury boxes. And really while it was hardly state of the art, they could've lived with the old stadium with a  few updates. It wasn't a dump to begin with like old Shea nor showing some age like old Yankee were. If the economy had tanked a year or 2 before, they would have dealt with it.Only time I ever saw the concourse crowded like now was when they cordoned off some areas for concerts like GNR and AC/DC. Every time I've been to MetLife the overcrowding, even when I had concert seats in the club, was scary. Suspect they duped spirals because of the occasional "show" and it was a huge mistake. The spirals were cheap low tech rybar and cement, and these morons worried about a complete non issue because of some bad PR rather than customer safety. 

1 hour ago, Bugg said:

Old Giants Stadium and Arrowhead shared a lot of the same characteristics because it was the same architect. Never been there, but figure they've updated a few things like luxury boxes. And really while it was hardly state of the art, they could've lived with the old stadium with a  few updates. It wasn't a dump to begin with like old Shea nor showing some age like old Yankee were. If the economy had tanked a year or 2 before, they would have dealt with it.Only time I ever saw the concourse crowded like now was when they cordoned off some areas for concerts like GNR and AC/DC. Every time I've been to MetLife the overcrowding, even when I had concert seats in the club, was scary. Suspect they duped spirals because of the occasional "show" and it was a huge mistake. The spirals were cheap low tech rybar and cement, and these morons worried about a complete non issue because of some bad PR rather than customer safety. 

It's a clone of Giants stadium without a mezzanine. Both times I've sat in the lower level. In and out in two seconds and once you get in you have to walk down steps or the spiral to get to lower level. The entry point is between the lower deck and the upper deck lol brilliant. Met life is strictly up with only one escalator or the state of the art zig zag concrete walk where you walk 5 miles to go up one level.

3 hours ago, BP said:

It's a clone of Giants stadium without a mezzanine. Both times I've sat in the lower level. In and out in two seconds and once you get in you have to walk down steps or the spiral to get to lower level. The entry point is between the lower deck and the upper deck lol brilliant. Met life is strictly up with only one escalator or the state of the art zig zag concrete walk where you walk 5 miles to go up one level.

The brilliance of MetLife Stadium's design is that it's a pie cut into 4 equal sized slices.  Unlike these other stadiums like Arrowhead where people could move freely around the entire circumference, MetLife is like 4 smaller stadiums in 1, you enter the Verizon quad you stay in the Verizon quad, the only way around is to go all the way out of the gate and walk around out on the plaza.  So you don't need more than 1 escalator per gate, you don't need 4 sets of spirals, it's great as it is because there isn't a shift of bodies from one side to the other like it was in Giants Stadium with everyone running in circles after a game to get to an exit nearest their parking lot.

SAR I

7 minutes ago, SAR I said:

The brilliance of MetLife Stadium's design is that it's a pie cut into 4 equal sized slices.  Unlike these other stadiums like Arrowhead where people could move freely around the entire circumference, MetLife is like 4 smaller stadiums in 1, you enter the Verizon quad you stay in the Verizon quad, the only way around is to go all the way out of the gate and walk around out on the plaza.  So you don't need more than 1 escalator per gate, you don't need 4 sets of spirals, it's great as it is because there isn't a shift of bodies from one side to the other like it was in Giants Stadium with everyone running in circles after a game to get to an exit nearest their parking lot.

SAR I

The UD is way higher in MetLife than it was at Giants stadium thats a fact. 

7 hours ago, BP said:

Like night and day compared to MetLife and Arrowhead is something like 30 years old. It really is a nice stadium. 

24 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

How would you know what it's like going to the mezzanine or upper deck? You're in the lower deck. have you ever seen those escalators? Lol you sound like you work for the Jets.

2 minutes ago, Green DNA said:

Like night and day compared to MetLife and Arrowhead is something like 30 years old. It really is a nice stadium. 

It was built in 1972 lol it's older than Giants stadium was. Was refurbished but I really like that stadium. It blows MetLife away

57 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

The UD is way higher in MetLife than it was at Giants stadium thats a fact. 

compared_zps7qqcfjcn.jpg

Since I sit in the Mezzanine I could care less. My view vs Giants Stadium is quite comparable. The upper deck, different story.

SAR I

Archived