Jets secondary

Dcronin

This is Mac's fault. I said it back when he was first assigned GM and hated the moves he made in the secondary.  Specifically, signing Revis to that ridiculous contract. And it will hobble this team next year as well. It needs to be overhauled next year and I have very little faith in Mac since his first attempt at fixing it has been a total failure. 

2 minutes ago, Powpow said:

This is Mac's fault. I said it back when he was first assigned GM and hated the moves he made in the secondary.  Specifically, signing Revis to that ridiculous contract. And it will hobble this team next year as well. It needs to be overhauled next year and I have very little faith in Mac since his first attempt at fixing it has been a total failure. 

Um, he's had some success, the Jets were 10-6 last year.

And they aren't hamstrung. it's the coaching that sucks, not the talent in the secondary. Skrine is good. Revis, good. Hell Marcus Williams is decent. They don't seem to be playing up to their potential.

The talent on the roster is markedly improved. They just have made some silly decisions, like making Richarson play OLB when coverage is the issue.

Just now, joewilly12 said:

Revis is surrounded by scrubs Pryor is playing un coached 

True that. But Revis was not worth that contract. He had seen better days and has had significant injuries throughout his career. I get the nostalgia of having him back on the team but not at that cost.  He is clearly not Revis Island anymore.  

I'm blaming the coaching on this one.  The talent is there but obviously there is alot of miscommunication that needs to be corrected.  Too many plays where the safety is supposed to help and the safety is nowhere to be found.

7 minutes ago, Powpow said:

Bowles, like Rex, needs CBs who can actually cover.  Finding CBs in the draft is tough and they usually take two or three years to develop.  Mac had to get some DBs, or he would have been running Milliner and McDougle out there.  Skrine is fine in the slot, Burris will be a starter next year.  They'll need another young guy on the outside and some rangier safeties.  

6 minutes ago, Powpow said:

True that. But Revis was not worth that contract. He had seen better days and has had significant injuries throughout his career. I get the nostalgia of having him back on the team but not at that cost.  He is clearly not Revis Island anymore.  

As you saw today, all CBs get beat.  Marshall did well against Sherman, even with his bum knee.  Robbie Anderson also smoked Sherman.  Sherman is lucky Fitzpatrick overthrew that deep ball.

Also, just for the record: Sherman in his prime isn't even close to Revis in his prime.

3 minutes ago, phill1c said:

Um, he's had some success, the Jets were 10-6 last year.

And they aren't hamstrung. it's the coaching that sucks, not the talent in the secondary. Skrine is good. Revis, good. Hell Marcus Williams is decent. They don't seem to be playing up to their potential.

The talent on the roster is markedly improved. They just have made some silly decisions, like making Richarson play OLB when coverage is the issue.

Get this and get it good. They were 10-6 last year because Fitz played lights out. Had Geno been in there, we would have been lucky to go 5-11. Skrine is ok but not worth the cash he was given. Marcus was a find and made by Idziot not mac. Gilchrist has been a major disappointment.  Dude is useless.  Revis has more burn marks than a '65 Camaro racing down the BQE.  And Pryor is a hitman, except when he constantly tripping all over his feet.  They are God Awful.  Cant produce a TO, cant make a stop on3rd down, give up big plays after big plays.  EMBARASSING. 

Just now, Powpow said:

Get this and get it good. They were 10-6 last year because Fitz played lights out. Had Geno been in there, we would have been lucky to go 5-11. Skrine is ok but not worth the cash he was given. Marcus was a find and made by Idziot not mac. Gilchrist has been a major disappointment.  Dude is useless.  Revis has more burn marks than a '65 Camaro racing down the BQE.  And Pryor is a hitman, except when he constantly tripping all over his feet.  They are God Awful.  Cant produce a TO, cant make a stop on3rd down, give up big plays after big plays.  EMBARASSING. 

I can't agree with the notion that they wouldn't have been good with Smith in there.

Get this and get this good: you're speculating based on the notion that only Fitzpatrick can play above his career stats. Geno Smith can play better OR WORSE than his career stats, just like Fitzpatrick. I'd say Smith is MORE LIKELY to play better than his career stats, based on the fact that he had the worst OL and WR combination in the league when he played.

You speculate negatively on Smith. I accept that. But it's not fact.

3 minutes ago, detectivekimble said:

As you saw today, all CBs get beat.  Marshall did well against Sherman, even with his bum knee.  Robbie Anderson also smoked Sherman.  Sherman is lucky Fitzpatrick overthrew that deep ball.

Also, just for the record: Sherman in his prime isn't even close to Revis in his prime.

Sherman plays in a different scheme than Revis in his prime. I've been watching football for over 50 years and am an avid historian of the game. Revis was the best I've ever seen play the position. But I would not have signed him to that large of a contract at this juncture of his career.

Just now, Powpow said:

Sherman plays in a different scheme than Revis in his prime. I've been watching football for over 50 years and am an avid historian of the game. Revis was the best I've ever seen play the position. But I would not have signed him to that large of a contract at this juncture of his career.

No, but the Jets needed a #1 CB, so they overpaid the man.

2 minutes ago, phill1c said:

I can't agree with the notion that they wouldn't have been good with Smith in there.

Get this and get this good: you're speculating based on the notion that only Fitzpatrick can play above his career stats. Geno Smith can play better OR WORSE than his career stats, just like Fitzpatrick. I'd say Smith is MORE LIKELY to play better than his career stats, based on the fact that he had the worst OL and WR combination in the league when he played.

You speculate negatively on Smith. I accept that. But it's not fact.

Get this and get this good: Or don't.  Geno had his shot and produced the worst QB rating in 2 consecutive years.  He's not a leader and has been passed over by Mac who only leaves him on this roster because Petty was not ready and because he's got a dirt cheap contract.  Good luck trying to convince us all of Geno's worthiness since this with be his last year in Jet green.    

I wonder what the percentage of plays we playou man to man vs zone. I would think with playing zones you can create more turnovers. Wish I see more attempts at strip sacks or going for the ball especially when going after the qb

Just now, Powpow said:

Get this and get this good: Or don't.  Geno had his shot and produced the worst QB rating in 2 consecutive years.  He's not a leader and has been passed over by Mac who only leaves him on this roster because Petty was not ready and because he's got a dirt cheap contract.  Good luck trying to convince us all of Geno's worthiness since this with be his last year in Jet green.    

Some believe that having David Nelson and Stephen Hill and an OL that most college defenses could undress is not really having a legitimate shot. Because some people believe any QB needs talent around him. But not you. So, I get it.

You asked why anyone would want to see him and I told you why I want to see him.

11 minutes ago, Powpow said:

Nice position to take, the guys who Macc brought in got us to 10-6 but he doesn't get credit for it because one of the guys he brought in carried them.

7 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Nice position to take, the guys who Macc brought in got us to 10-6 but he doesn't get credit for it because one of the guys he brought in carried them.

I'm making an overall assessment of MAC'S moves not just one or two.  Personally, I'm not all that impressed with his tenure as GM. I don't like his draft picks all  that much in  his 2 years and didn't care for the players he's brought in and the extravagant contracts he's laid out. He's made some nice moves but i'm not crazy about his overall score as a GM. I'd give him a C-. 

That Burris kid i think could actually develop into a decent #2 corner he just needs some work. Marcus Williams is a decent young depth piece. Skrine is pretty good. I agree our secondary is pretty bad this season but i think we could fix it up pretty easily for next year.

1 hour ago, Dcronin said:

Maybe stats-wise Carolina will bump them out of last place after today, but - mark my words:

we have one of the absolute worst secondaries in the NFL. Torched weekly. Absolutely terrible.

Also, season is over.

DC

yes

2 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

What have you done for me lately 10-6 got us nowhere 

Fitz's remarkable 10-6 year really camouflaged the poor decisions Mac has made since taking over.  Never in his wildest dreams did Mac believe Fitz would have the year he had. He was signed as a mentor first to Petty and a last gasp back up to Geno until Petty was ready to take over.  Fitz's year was an absolute anomaly. Even Fitz had to be pinching himself. Mac had no choice but to resign Fitz this year.  Theses poorly played games are on Mac's head more than anyone else.   

Bowles seems pretty expert in getting the least out of his players defensively. We're supposed to have this awesome defensive line, yet it looks so ordinary 90% of the game. The secondary cost enough, but looks less than ordinary, looks terrible. Pryor looks like a hot mess half the time - seemingly missed assignments, doesn't cover that well, sure seems to have some tackling issues for a smashmouth safety. 

Get this and get this good lol-we we're 10-6 last year because we played one of the weakest strength of schedules in history. We played the worst NFC divisikn that had a 9-7 winner, and the worst AFC division with a 9-7 winner. Add 4 games against MIA and BUF and you literally have one of the easiest schedules in modern football.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

What have you done for me lately 10-6 got us nowhere 

Season ticket holders like me got to see a team that won games.  Most of the time enough to make the playoffs.  When you plunk down money that what you want, entertainment.  You think it's nothing and you also think anyone else would have done better.  Doesn't work that way, you have no idea what someone else would have done here, 

12 hours ago, Snell41 said:

Get this and get this good lol-we we're 10-6 last year because we played one of the weakest strength of schedules in history. We played the worst NFC divisikn that had a 9-7 winner, and the worst AFC division with a 9-7 winner. Add 4 games against MIA and BUF and you literally have one of the easiest schedules in modern football.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Get over giving all the credit to the schedule.  It's the most over blown reason.  You have to beat the teams on your schedule.   A weak schedule guarantees nothing.  Just as to keep saying literally one of the weakest schedules ever.  If that's all,it takes is an easy schedule how come the Bills and Fins with the same schedule, sucked? 

Archived