The jury is still out, but it is beginning to look like this front office doesn't know what they are doing when it comes to quarterbacks

RutgersJetFan

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, gEYno said:

No one is saying this.  They're saying if Lynch is average, then Lee was a bad pick.  And if Lynch is good, Lee was a disaster of a pick.

Way too early to tell and Lee has been as good so far

I'd take Cardale Jones over Lynch

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Quarterbacks passed on...

Trevor Siemien

Paxton Lynch

Jacoby Brisset

Dak Prescot

...in favor of:

Bryce Petty

Christian Hackenberg

That's 4 quarterbacks capable of earning playing time and showing at least some glimmer of potential this season alone. In that amount of time we have 2 kids who can't beat out a guy that's thrown 9 picks in 2 games and a putz who can't set his watch or not post his dick on the Internet.

Macaggnan better hit on something for under center next year. Make no mistake about it, the only thing that matters in whomever runs this team is that they are capable of finding a quarterback. There have been several available in our draft positions and we passed. Passed! Not weren't even a position to draft, we just passed. Unacceptable. I know everyone is sick of turnover every 3-4 years, but good god with this. Add in Idzik's two years and the final years of Tannenbaum, and is astounding to look at the amount of young, blue chip quarterbacks that this franchise hasn't drafted: Carr, Bridgewater, Osweiller, Glennon, Wilson, and Dalton to name a bunch.

And the real kicker is this: The Jets have selected more quarterbacks than anyone else in that time. Really. That's the level at which this franchise has missed. And there is zero evidence to indicate Macaggnan is capable of breaking that cycle.

"Break the cycle" 

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Trevor Siemien

Paxton Lynch

Jacoby Brisset

Dak Prescot

...in favor of:

Bryce Petty

Christian Hackenberg

That's 4 quarterbacks capable of earning playing time and showing at least some glimmer of potential this season alone. In that amount of time we have 2 kids who can't beat out a guy that's thrown 9 picks in 2 games and a putz who can't set his watch or not post his dick on the Internet.

Macaggnan better hit on something for under center next year. Make no mistake about it, the only thing that matters in whomever runs this team is that they are capable of finding a quarterback. There have been several available in our draft positions and we passed. Passed! Not weren't even a position to draft, we just passed. Unacceptable. I know everyone is sick of turnover every 3-4 years, but good god with this. Add in Idzik's two years and the final years of Tannenbaum, and is astounding to look at the amount of young, blue chip quarterbacks that this franchise hasn't drafted: Carr, Bridgewater, Osweiller, Glennon, Wilson, and Dalton to name a bunch.

And the real kicker is this: The Jets have selected more quarterbacks than anyone else in that time. Really. That's the level at which this franchise has missed. And there is zero evidence to indicate Macaggnan is capable of breaking that cycle.

I just wonder how anyone can say Petty or Hack cannot play and were both bust picks. Has anyone seen them prepare in practice taking reps with the starting team, to start in a real game? I haven't. You haven't either because they haven't. You never know. The lights just go on and the guy could be great, you cant assume just because the media says they can't play, that they can't play. Trevor Siemian? Dax Prescott? Really? No one knew who they were, nor did anyone know if they could play straight away in a real game, but wonderama, look what happened.

I say F this turnover crap and lets at least see what Petty can do once healthy. Prepare him in practice and let him play. Can't be any worse than this spew we have watched for the last 2 weeks. No disrespect to Geno Smith, but we already know what he can or cannot do. I do not need to see him playing for us anymore as he will be gone next year, I mean it serves no purpose for our future.

It is time to start building a future. Ryan Fitz is not the future. Geno Smith is not the future. I do not believe that this will happen this season because this CS is afraid of its shadow. Having said that a million times, I really wonder if they (the CS) even have the capability to mold anyone into anything as far as the QB position goes anyway. Who is to say either if not both guys actually have the talent to succeed, but this CS would not be able to put them in the correct position to succeed, game plan wise I mean. You have to admit most of this is coaching, teaching. The arm strength and football smarts are instinctive, it is the coaching that makes the transition from College to the NFL, and it looks as though we just do not have that. I could go on and on with this CS, but what's the point, their deficiencies have been well documented here. I laughed at Rex Ryan for firing his OC after we beat them. Now I think it is us who needs to make a coaching change of some sorts, maybe a DC change? Today I saw Calvin Pryor covering, or at least following Jimmy Graham as he caught pass after pass. That was all you need to see to realize that this DC is clueless and has no idea WTF he is doing. Again, this FO is so afraid of exactly what they are becoming most proficient at - failure, they would never make such a radical move.

1 hour ago, RoadFan said:

An opportunity has presented itself again for the Jets to tank the season.

Take it and flat out TANK!

Get a top 3 pick and draft a QB once and for all to quash this neverending cycle of mediocrity or crap.

"You play to win the game" my a$$.  

I'm 100% with you

I'm not sure why anyone thought Macc was an expert at drafting/developing a QB.  What the hell did Houston ever do during his tenure to draft/develop a QB.

In this day and age teams are either throwing $18M+ annually for unproven, or underachieving QBs (Osweiler, Cousins, Bradford) or giving up the equivalent of 3#1 picks (Goff and Wentz).

Of course we had an opportunity to get our guy without doing either and passed because they were sold on Hackenberg.

Lynch looked pretty comfortable today (granted it was TB), but in 12 games we will be in the same position we are in now...very similar predicament as we have been in for years.  Underachieving defense and no QB.

32 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

This is fun:

Sanchez/McElroy -> Geno -> Petty/Hackenberg

As hard as it is to believe, we're actually getting worse at this. At this rate, the next GM will spend a 2 on a functional illiterate with a club foot and a glass eye.

Sanchez was the worst. That was five years out the window in one completely avoidable fell swoop. At any point since then we could simply have stopped doing stupid crap. We still could. But we won't. The move now is to fire everybody before they get a second chance to profligate spend their way into the hearts and minds of the unwashed illiterate but that isn't going to happen either.

47 minutes ago, ASH1962 said:

I just wonder how anyone can say Petty or Hack cannot play and were both bust picks. Has anyone seen them prepare in practice taking reps with the starting team, to start in a real game? I haven't. You haven't either because they haven't. You never know. The lights just go on and the guy could be great, you cant assume just because the media says they can't play, that they can't play. Trevor Siemian? Dax Prescott? Really? No one knew who they were, nor did anyone know if they could play straight away in a real game, but wonderama, look what happened.

I say F this turnover crap and lets at least see what Petty can do once healthy. Prepare him in practice and let him play. Can't be any worse than this spew we have watched for the last 2 weeks. No disrespect to Geno Smith, but we already know what he can or cannot do. I do not need to see him playing for us anymore as he will be gone next year, I mean it serves no purpose for our future.

It is time to start building a future. Ryan Fitz is not the future. Geno Smith is not the future. I do not believe that this will happen this season because this CS is afraid of its shadow. Having said that a million times, I really wonder if they (the CS) even have the capability to mold anyone into anything as far as the QB position goes anyway. Who is to say either if not both guys actually have the talent to succeed, but this CS would not be able to put them in the correct position to succeed, game plan wise I mean. You have to admit most of this is coaching, teaching. The arm strength and football smarts are instinctive, it is the coaching that makes the transition from College to the NFL, and it looks as though we just do not have that. I could go on and on with this CS, but what's the point, their deficiencies have been well documented here. I laughed at Rex Ryan for firing his OC after we beat them. Now I think it is us who needs to make a coaching change of some sorts, maybe a DC change? Today I saw Calvin Pryor covering, or at least following Jimmy Graham as he caught pass after pass. That was all you need to see to realize that this DC is clueless and has no idea WTF he is doing. Again, this FO is so afraid of exactly what they are becoming most proficient at - failure, they would never make such a radical move.

While I haven't given up hope on Petty yet, I did watch Hack complete 30% of his passes against defenders that are no longer in the NFL.  No big deal, but he was a top 51 pick in a draft where we've seen Dak being a much more developed QB.  Lynch is light years ahead of Hack.  

I think it's great that Lee is a playmaking LB but right now he isn't a pass rusher and our secondary is playing so bad it's negating the talent we have in the front seven.

So Fitz it getting desperate and looking terrible doing so.  A win fixes a lot but Pitt is destroying KC worse than they destroyed us last week.  Realistically, the spread should be in double digits.

36 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

This is fun:

Sanchez/McElroy -> Geno -> Petty/Hackenberg

As hard as it is to believe, we're actually getting worse at this. At this rate, the next GM will spend a 2 on a functional illiterate with a club foot and a glass eye.

Pennington -> Clemens -> Sanchez

9 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Trevor Siemien

Paxton Lynch

Jacoby Brisset

Dak Prescot

...in favor of:

Bryce Petty

Christian Hackenberg

No general Manager has a handle on the Qb position.  That is the toughest position for  NFL Gm's to figure out.( especially with a lot of College Qb's never playing in a pro style offense)   A lot of times it comes down to luck.   Why you have to keep rolling the dice there, till you find your guy.

10 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Trevor Siemien

Paxton Lynch

Jacoby Brisset

Dak Prescot

...in favor of:

Bryce Petty

Christian Hackenberg

Here's the thing..... of the 4 players you mentioned there before Petty Whats the biggest difference between them and Petty ? They got to play ! Petty even though showing some promise has not stepped on the field in a regular season game. Now seems like as good a time as any (if hes recovered) to get him in there .

8 hours ago, Pcola said:

While I haven't given up hope on Petty yet, I did watch Hack complete 30% of his passes against defenders that are no longer in the NFL.  No big deal, but he was a top 51 pick in a draft where we've seen Dak being a much more developed QB.  Lynch is light years ahead of Hack.  

I think it's great that Lee is a playmaking LB but right now he isn't a pass rusher and our secondary is playing so bad it's negating the talent we have in the front seven.

So Fitz it getting desperate and looking terrible doing so.  A win fixes a lot but Pitt is destroying KC worse than they destroyed us last week.  Realistically, the spread should be in double digits.

Hack looked atrocious outside of his first drive in the Giants game, but in his defense, the guy is the 4th string QB and he had hardly taken any practice reps throughout camp. I suspect that his first drive (by far his most successful) was a result of practicing that series of plays in the week leading up to the game. 

11 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Trevor Siemien

Paxton Lynch

Jacoby Brisset

Dak Prescot

...in favor of:

Bryce Petty

Christian Hackenberg

So because the guys you listed are playing that means Petty and hack can't? 

And people have to stop listing every QB drafted.  Or talking about all the scrub QBs we picked in late rounds to be backups.  Taking a TBoyd is not really relevant to finding a franchise QB

11 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Trevor Siemien

Paxton Lynch

Jacoby Brisset

Dak Prescot

...in favor of:

Bryce Petty

Christian Hackenberg

Well said and +1

The direction seems confused.  The draft picks "I know better than everyone else" style picks.  Keeping Geno but being unwilling to play him at all.  Hack over a number fo far more ready prospects.  Failures to move up to get the QB's they wanted/should have wanted.

Macc still has my confidence, but his failings at QB, and his decision of Forte > Ivory and resigning the lodestone that is D.Revis, those moves all look very poor in hindsight.

9 hours ago, drdetroit said:

Because you people act like any qb >>>> Lee

When your secondary is playing so bad that it doesn't matter who we have at ILB, then yes.  QB>>>>>>Lee.  And I'm a huge fan of of Lee's.

And not to get away from the point.  Goff was the top QB in this draft.  It was just about a consensus among NFL teams.  And Macc personally scouted him on multiple occasions.

Dont judge him on his current status.  Fisher is a moron.

15 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

So because the guys you listed are playing that means Petty and hack can't? 

And people have to stop listing every QB drafted.  Or talking about all the scrub QBs we picked in late rounds to be backups.  Taking a TBoyd is not really relevant to finding a franchise QB

The future qb is not in our roster.  All 4 of them can go.

Sign Glennon or see what the raiders want for Cook or McGloin or what the bills would take for Cardale

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

Well said and +1

The direction seems confused.  The draft picks "I know better than everyone else" style picks.  Keeping Geno but being unwilling to play him at all.  Hack over a number fo far more ready prospects.  Failures to move up to get the QB's they wanted/should have wanted.

Macc still has my confidence, but his failings at QB, and his decision of Forte > Ivory and resigning the lodestone that is D.Revis, those moves all look very poor in hindsight.

there are no failings at qb b/c the guys mccags picked haven't busted yet.  jets had no shot at goff/wentz/winston/mariotta.  i will be happy to complain if petty plays the last quarter of the season and sucks.  

Archived