The jury is still out, but it is beginning to look like this front office doesn't know what they are doing when it comes to quarterbacks

RutgersJetFan

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Augustiniak said:

there are no failings at qb b/c the guys mccags picked haven't busted yet.  jets had no shot at goff/wentz/winston/mariotta.  i will be happy to complain if petty plays the last quarter of the season and sucks.  

I like Petty.  I hope we see Petty, if the season continues as it's has thus far.

But hanging your Franchises hopes on a (lets be honest) low-to-mid-tier 4th round prospect is not exactly a high-odds proposition.

And we're years from seeing if Hack is anything, he's not close to NFL ready.

Just now, Warfish said:

I like Petty.  I hope we see Petty, if the season continues as it's has thus far.

But hanging your Franchises hopes on a (lets be honest) low-to-mid-tier 4th round prospect is not exactly a high-odds proposition.

And we're years from seeing if Hack is anything, he's not close to NFL ready.

all i can say is we shall see.  we all know the jets won't be taken seriously until/unless they get a real qb.  and while we see guys like prescott and simian come in and do well, there's hope a guy like petty can as well.  truth, with the rules as they are, if you have a decent armed qb with his head screwed on straight you should be able to score points.  fitz had his opportunities yesterday, and the jets could have scored a few more tds if they had a qb who can throw the long ball.  yesterday was a prime example of what it takes to win in the nfl, you need to throw downfield accurately.  

Just now, Augustiniak said:

all i can say is we shall see.  we all know the jets won't be taken seriously until/unless they get a real qb.

Something we've been waiting for for what, 30 years now?

Ken O'Brian?  

Pennington looked like it could have been him....till the injuries.

Sanchez, despite the two CG's, never looked like a Franchise QB.

Who else?  In 30 years+, damn few of our QB prospects even came close to being a legit Franchise QB.

As a Jets Fan, you'll understand if I don't hold my breath about Petty/Hack being the next Brady/Marino/Elway.

18 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

So you'd rather have Ryan Leaf or Tim Couch over a good linebacker?

So you'd rather have Vernon Gholston over Joe Flacco ? See this works both ways ...win some lose some, always take a swing at the QB 

9 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Ken O'Brian?  

Who else?  In 30 years+, damn few of our QB prospects even came close to being a legit Franchise QB.

As a Jets Fan, you'll understand if I don't hold my breath about Petty/Hack being the next Brady/Marino/Elway.

i hear you.  all i'm saying is, at least the guys they've drafted have the physical tools and by all accounts are 'good students'.  i'd rather wait a bit for these guys to get ready than throw underwhelming prospects like geno, sanchez, pennington, bollinger, clemens, etc., who have clear physical limitations.  you don't need an all pro qb, you need a qb who can threaten defenses to they have to play you honest, you need speed and size at wr/te to create mismatches, and for the most part the jets have this.  devin smith may also help, along with ASJ.  

11 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

The plan for the season was to have a veteran manage the game while the def dominates.  We then develop one of these qbs for next year.

Plan has now changed because this defense is downright horrible. They are so bad it is forcing the qb to do things he is incapable of doing.

The defensive players and coaches are to blame for this mess.

It is true.  The minute Fitz gets behind we are pretty much doomed.  It is like an invisible wall to him.  And our D has really not stopped anyone.   We had no right to expect an equally productive season from Fitz this year.  What has happened has always been a likelier possibility. Guy has been around for a decade. He is what he has always been.  I was against signing him.  We are going to lose this year and build nothing.  We could have lost and tried to build something

22 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Ken O'Brian?  

Teams learned that they could just face up on our receivers because Chad had a weak, if accurate, arm.  Last franchise QB we had was Browning Nagle(joke).  All the tools:  body, arm, everything.  Just minus a brain.  I am a firm believer that a top QB must have a way better than average arm.  Brain alone cannot do it. Sanchez had a decent arm.  He was missing a heart.  I feel like I am talking about the Wizard of Oz here.  Fitz throws behind guys all the time.  It is almost as if simple timing is a foreign notion to him.  And his decision making, as the game gets tighter, resembles Sanchez's.

10 hours ago, drdetroit said:

Question of what?  Who would you rather have Goff or Lee?

Absolutely Goff.  The guy merited his selection.  He's off to a slow start.  Jets fans are supposed to be patient with a guy who sucked in college and was almost ubiquitously considered a poor prospect, but we're selling on the #1 overall pick already?

10 hours ago, drdetroit said:

Because you people act like any qb >>>> Lee

It's weird that I have to explain this again, since I literally just did.  It's not that any QB >>>> Lee, its that an average QB >>>> any linebacker short of an all-pro and a good QB >>>> any linebacker, period.

Should be pointed out that RJF is being unusually charitable in his assessment, too. When he says it "looks like" Macc is failing with the QBs, it's being nice. He's committed real resources to the position and has nothing to show for it. $12 million dollars, a 2nd rounder, and the 4th and 6th for Petty, not to mention tying up roster spots to house four players when only one of them seems to be credible enough to field. It's not like Macc has taken a few late-round flyers on guys, or spent $5 mil on a placeholder. He's specifically targeted these sh*t players and invested rather heavily in them. 

12 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Should be pointed out that RJF is being unusually charitable in his assessment, too. When he says it "looks like" Macc is failing with the QBs, it's being nice. He's committed real resources to the position and has nothing to show for it. $12 million dollars, a 2nd rounder, and the 4th and 6th for Petty, not to mention tying up roster spots to house four players when only one of them seems to be credible enough to field. It's not like Macc has taken a few late-round flyers on guys, or spent $5 mil on a placeholder. He's specifically targeted these sh*t players and invested rather heavily in them. 

Yes, and then there's passing on Lynch who looked good yesterday.  It could turn out that Lynch ends up being exposed when opposing DC's get to study him.  But right now?  Denver's FO has cred.  They picked him.  That says a lot to me.  Macc passed on him.  Macc does not have a great track record overall.  Plusses to be sure, but minuses as well.

1 hour ago, jack48 said:

It is true.  The minute Fitz gets behind we are pretty much doomed.  It is like an invisible wall to him.  And our D has really not stopped anyone.   We had no right to expect an equally productive season from Fitz this year.  What has happened has always been a likelier possibility. Guy has been around for a decade. He is what he has always been.  I was against signing him.  We are going to lose this year and build nothing.  We could have lost and tried to build something

what this says is that the best run nfl teams can stick virtually anyone in and win, NE and denver.  

1 hour ago, drdetroit said:

The future qb is not in our roster.  All 4 of them can go.

Sign Glennon or see what the raiders want for Cook or McGloin or what the bills would take for Cardale

Well thanks Nostradamus.  

Lets face it you have no idea if Petty or Hack will develop.  But you'll trade for a Cook.  Great 

13 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Quarterbacks passed on...

Trevor Siemien

Paxton Lynch

Jacoby Brisset

Dak Prescot

...in favor of:

Bryce Petty

Christian Hackenberg

That's 4 quarterbacks capable of earning playing time and showing at least some glimmer of potential this season alone. In that amount of time we have 2 kids who can't beat out a guy that's thrown 9 picks in 2 games and a putz who can't set his watch or not post his dick on the Internet.

Macaggnan better hit on something for under center next year. Make no mistake about it, the only thing that matters in whomever runs this team is that they are capable of finding a quarterback. There have been several available in our draft positions and we passed. Passed! Not weren't even a position to draft, we just passed. Unacceptable. I know everyone is sick of turnover every 3-4 years, but good god with this. Add in Idzik's two years and the final years of Tannenbaum, and is astounding to look at the amount of young, blue chip quarterbacks that this franchise hasn't drafted: Carr, Bridgewater, Osweiller, Glennon, Wilson, and Dalton to name a bunch.

And the real kicker is this: The Jets have selected more quarterbacks than anyone else in that time. Really. That's the level at which this franchise has missed. And there is zero evidence to indicate Macaggnan is capable of breaking that cycle.

Seriously?  Come on dude.  It is SOOOO simple to say this in retrospect, isn't it?  Why don't we throw Brady into this picture.

Every team in the NFL for seven rounds passed on Trevor Siemien.  You cannot with a straight face say that this is a Jet FO issue.

Lynch has played half a game.  Brissett is playing on the best franchise this millenium.  Put him on our roster and he is no better than Ryan Leaf.

Prescott is the only one that you can question.  And we might just see Petty this year to see what he can do.

I get it.  We are all frustrated.  But this is how bad the Jets were suppose to be last year.

2 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

This is a very dumb statement to make considering that neither of the two QBs they have drafted have played yet. And don't use Prescott and Lynch who are on better teams in better environments for a rookie QB to succeed

Other teams draft better than we do other teams arent afraid to play a rookie QB like we are we are grooming them yes like we groomed so many other Hall of Fame QB's 

STOP THE NONSENSE HERE 

3 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Other teams draft better than we do other teams arent afraid to play a rookie QB like we are we are grooming them yes like we groomed so many other Hall of Fame QB's 

STOP THE NONSENSE HERE 

Its not nonsense.  What is nonsense is everyone still believing this was a good team.  This is how you succeed in the NFL.  Give a QB a year or two, and see what they have.  Your statement actually contradicts itself, because we have NEVER groomed a QB in our entire history.  I would know, given I have watched this team lose for 43 years.  We have NEVER groomed a QB.  Now, when we are actually doing the right thing, fans are bitching.

This fan-base, in many ways, gets what it deserves.

3 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

Its not nonsense.  What is nonsense is everyone still believing this was a good team.  This is how you succeed in the NFL.  Give a QB a year or two, and see what they have.  Your statement actually contradicts itself, because we have NEVER groomed a QB in our entire history.  I would know, given I have watched this team lose for 43 years.  We have NEVER groomed a QB.  Now, when we are actually doing the right thing, fans are bitching.

This fan-base, in many ways, gets what it deserves.

Other teams turn the team over to a rookie QB a decent one they draft not here we draft the projects then we supposedly groom them yet we havent had a decent QB here in years. 

Im all for playing the rookies here and now. 

Activate Hack lets see what he's got. 

9 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

STOP THE NONSENSE HERE 

Other teams don't have fanbase pressuring them to start young QBs and instantly going to a Super Bowl

Just now, UnitedWhofans said:

Other teams don't have fanbase pressuring them to start young QBs and instantly going to a Super Bowl

All fans bases do indeed do that and I think the lack of patience bit is baloney.  If this team stated right here and now, we are blowing it up and starting over by trading vets, getting picks, playing the young QBs; letting younger players play the fan base would accept that and be ready for a few years of misery.

Just now, joewilly12 said:

So you are saying only Jets fans demand decent and competitive play from the players. 

No. What I am saying is that Jets fans and mediA put too much pressure on young QBs to be " the one" and to perform immediately and it breaks them. No pressure in Dallas and Denver like that.

No pressure like that anywhere, magnified with the New York market

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

All fans bases do indeed do that and I think the lack of patience bit is baloney.  If this team stated right here and now, we are blowing it up and starting over by trading vets, getting picks, playing the young QBs; letting younger players play the fan base would accept that and be ready for a few years of misery.

I don't think they would, because they wouldn't come to games. 

There is literally no chance of that.

43 minutes ago, Big Blocker said:

Yes, and then there's passing on Lynch who looked good yesterday.  It could turn out that Lynch ends up being exposed when opposing DC's get to study him.  But right now?  Denver's FO has cred.  They picked him.  That says a lot to me.  Macc passed on him.  Macc does not have a great track record overall.  Plusses to be sure, but minuses as well.

If Lynch is good and Hackenberg is Hackenberg, Macc is probably gone in two years.

15 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Well thanks Nostradamus.  

Lets face it you have no idea if Petty or Hack will develop.  But you'll trade for a Cook.  Great 

Connor Cook is eventually going to be a pretty good Qb in this league. ( you see the things he does, and you feel very good about his game.     

Connor Cook isn't going anywhere as they have a cheap backup for the next four years.

Matt Mcgloin is a small size Qb who locks on his receivers .    I really don't see a trade market for him. Great Story and the kid's a hard worker , but is rather limited , and there is no upside to him whatsoever.      Why would anyone waste a draft choice on someone that isn't better than anything they have at the position.

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

If Lynch is good and Hackenberg is Hackenberg, Macc is probably gone in two years.

Exactly.  This is huge. 

I turned on the Denver game after halftime yesterday.  Not knowing Simean had gotten hurt, I could not believe Lynch was in there.  So, how was he going to do?

He looked good.  If he keeps that up,  I don't see how Macc lives that down.  His only realistic hope (Hack being too remote a prospect to count on) is if Petty turns out to be the real deal.

I know that, but it;s ownership that is the impatient ones moreso than a fanbase.  Our player moves are made as if we have a franchise QB.

Well yeah, that's the real problem. Every team's fans are loud and reactionary and dumb. It's not really an issue unless the owner listens to them.

11 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

No. What I am saying is that Jets fans and mediA put too much pressure on young QBs to be " the one" and to perform immediately and it breaks them. No pressure in Dallas and Denver like that.

No pressure like that anywhere, magnified with the New York market

There's absolutely no evidence to support this too much pressure bs.

Archived