Sign in to follow this  
Blackout

Let's go Tribe

Francesser was talking about how Terry Francona is an awesome playoff manager the other day and I have to agree. His use of Andrew Miller this postseason is just how it should be done nowadays - a "fireman" rather than a closer. Obviously Miller being as good as he is helps.

I'm a huge fan of this Kipnis/Lindor MIF, but who isn't?

On October 18, 2016 at 8:27 AM, Scott Dierking said:

Might have to dub this the "Misfit" World Series if the Cubbies get in

One was far and away the best team in baseball and the other was at least arguably the most complete team in the AL and a top 5 team in baseball. There's nothing misfit about either. Last year's WS with two reps on the lower end of top 10 teams in baseball probably fits better.

---

It sucks that Cleveland does not have Carrasco this postseason. That dude took a while to arrive after being touted since his early-mid teens, worked his ass off to put a career together despite injuries that ruin careers on the regular, and became one of the best in baseball. I like guys like Bauer and Clevinger moving forward, but going Kluber/Carrasco back to back would be extremely tough in a 7 game.

10 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

My dubbing of this was related to the histories of the franchises. Both are historically known as misfits and dregs. Nice to see a change, for once.

Maybe that's the rep among the casual crowd who get their baseball #hottakes from Gary Busey or Charlie Sheen movies, but especially the Indians have been fielding some very strong teams for some twenty+ years now with maybe a handful of down seasons in there. The Indians of the 90s were probably the premiere AL franchise outside of NY. Their rosters were absolutely loaded with ASs, future HOFs, and guys who probably fall just short of the HOF. Just in very recent history the Cubs had no serious competition for the best team in baseball, on paper were better than either WS rep last year, and have been above average overall since the mid-late 90s with some very strong teams in the 2000s.

Are they teams with long championship droughts? Sure, but half of last year's WS had had maybe two .500+ seasons since the 80's and the other was a NY sports franchise crying poor. I guess it depends on how you define mistfit and/or dregs? 

2 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Look at this herb trying to lecture people about the dumbest sh*t. 

You understand you're the guy who waxes poetic on the historical greatness of the Daredevil series, right? 

Man, Kenny Lofton was such a cool player that I really look forward to him throwing out the first pitch tonight. Beyond him being a big part of why the '03 Cubs were so much fun and made their run, he was such a unique player for that era. 

5 hours ago, NJ said:

He didn't miss the tag - 

Yeah, he was out. 

Hell of a win for Cleveland. I wonder how proud Kenny Loften was?

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, dbatesman said:

Bryant has been brutal. Russell has been bad too, but he never really got going in the first place. I think they thought Contreeas would provide a spark, but he turned into a pumpkin this series.

The whole thing reminds me of the Series last year. With the way the playoffs are set up, a team with a bullpen that can shorten every game to 5 innings and great situational hitting is basically unbeatable.

I completely agree on the bullpens. The game's headed that way as a whole too - I've noticed how more and more teams have "bullpen days" where there's only a nominal SP expected to go maybe 3-5 innings. Right now it's occaisonally the 5th starter spot, maybe the 4th, but for the Indians and Royals these past few playoffs it's been as high as the third SP spot and worked.

I've never seen Bryant play worse ball than this series. Those two errors last night were bruta...I feel the same way about Contreras. He completed the regular season and future lineup, but he's gone ghost this postseason outside of that one HR. Conditioning issues, maybe?

I'd at least like the Cubs to put up a fight here. Cleveland throwing everyone on short rest plus riding their bullpen like they have should create some kind of opening tonight. I'm a Bauer fan, but if the Cubs can't hit him on short rest after not doing anything against a clearly diminished Kluber then they deserve to lose this series 4-1.

Sign in to follow this  

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company