Surviving Hurricane Matthew

Klecko73isGod

The big bastard has come and gone and Jax is still standing. A little wounded but none the worst for wear. 

I got lucky and never lost power, A big tree came down in front of the next building over.  Amazingly the only damage it appears to have caused is s smashed windshield on a Jeep Compass. The damn thing is laying accross the hood but doesn't even seem to have dented the thing, The other part of the tree is leaning up against the building but doesn't even appear to have so much as broken a window. 

Half the pier in Jax Beach was taken out and there was a ton of flooding, The first floor of the building JiF lives most definitely has some flood damage. Lucky for him he lives on the second floor. Storm surge was pretty brutal but fortunately not as bad as feared. 

This was a Category 2 when it passed us.  I can't imagine what a 3 or worse would look or feel like. This was bad enough.

Evacuated Jax Beach and my ocean front Condo on Thurs. and headed to Gainesville.  Very calm here, it was like the storm didn't hit but watching updates and seeing video footage of the storm surge in Jax Beach has me nervous of what I will return to and when.  I know power and water is out.  Apparently the roads are better and you can drive them but that will be a battle with everyone trying to get back to their homes.  My beloved pier great for surfing and fishing apparently got washed away.  You just have to hope everyone is safe and the damage isn't severe.  

I recently put an offer on a house 4 blocks off the ocean.  Very hopeful there was no damage to the house.  I luckily scheduled the inspector for Wed. So we shall see.

30 years in FL.  Never evacuated.  Thats the case for a lot of Floridians and it's given people a false sense of security.  I didn't **** around. As a surfer in Florida, I live for Hurricane surf but I also know what devestation it can bring.  With where my place is (even on the 2nd floor) I wasn't taking chances.

Sounds like the family all got through it fine (Melbourne, New Symrna, Ormond and Orlando).  Hope the same goes for everyone else in the state. 

Update: They're opening the bridges for the beaches at Noon.  That's a good sign.  I've heard it's not as bad as it looked like it was going to be...just some flooding here and there, trees down and the power outages should be fixed this afternoon.

The city of Jax did a great job preparing for this and they didn't have any points of reference considering it had been almost  50 years since we got a direct hit. 

Archived