Paxton Lynch starting for the Broncos

FTL Jet Fan

Well, I guess we will get a glimpse of what we passed on today. This is not a I hate the Lee pick thread, because I am happy with his play and he is a Jet and Lynch is not.. I am just curious to see how Lynch does against Atlanta. I will reserve judgment on Hack until CS staff feels he is ready. Holding out hope for Petty and Hack. 

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, FTL Jet Fan said:

Well, I guess we will get a glimpse of what we passed on today. This is not a I hate the Lee pick thread, because I am happy with his play and he is a Jet and Lynch is not.. I am just curious to see how Lynch does against Atlanta. I will reserve judgment on Hack until CS staff feels he is ready. Holding out hope for Petty and Hack. 

I don't think the other thread was an "I hate the Lee pick" thread either, but that's how some took it.

I left the MetLife draft party this year trying desperately to convince myself that passing on Lynch wasn't a horrible idea.  It didn't work.

2 minutes ago, AFJF said:

I don't think the other thread was an "I hate the Lee pick" thread either, but that's how some took it.

I left the MetLife draft party this year trying desperately to convince myself that passing on Lynch wasn't a horrible idea.  It didn't work.

Definitely not an I hate the Lee pick thread. I wanted us to take Lynch and was sure we would, and I am still upset about it given the circumstances of our QB situation. I am hoping Hack is the guy but out of all the QB's he is the one I didn't want us to take, especially in the 2nd round. I hope I am wrong.

17 minutes ago, JiF said:

I will throw Darron Lee like a missile right at BigMac's face if Lynch is legit. 

Or wait, Todd hated him?  Either or I will throw the tiny linebacker at their faces.

Reading between the lines, we have Fitz and don't have Lynch because of Bowles... and Hack was a Mac move for the future to insulate the Petty selection.

It should tell you something that he wouldn't have gotten the start of simien did not get injured.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Just now, bealeb319 said:

It should tell you something that he wouldn't have gotten the start of simien did not get injured.

Good point. I guess we will find out today. I don't expect him to come in on his first start and light it up. He played well last week when he came in. 

I cannot talk sh*t, I didn't want Lynch.  I wanted Connor Cook, currently the forgotten #3 in Oakland.

It will look bad for Mack if Lynch is indeed quality, and worse if Hack doesn't make major development strides (you know, like playing in all of preseason and stuff).

/shrug

4 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

It should tell us something that John Elway opted to start Trevor Simien instead of signing Ryan Fitzpatrick

3 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

Basically If he's any good, It's Todd's and Macc's Job. NEVER Pass up a QB especially when you need one.

That's with the caveat both Petty and Hack are garbage.

Basically wrong.

You can't go off in Macc if Lynch is good. What if you fire Macc and Hack becomes a franchise QB? 

The obvious flaw is that the Broncos and the Jets are two separate situations. One is coming off a Super Bowl won with a dominant defense. The other is an underachieving team that needs to be rebuilt with young players.

Now if Lynch fell into the second round and was there when Hackenberg was taken, then I could see getting pissed.

Good point. I guess we will find out today. I don't expect him to come in on his first start and light it up. He played well last week when he came in. 

I was on the lynch train during the draft also but I have faith in macc for now.

47 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I cannot talk sh*t, I didn't want Lynch.  I wanted Connor Cook, currently the forgotten #3 in Oakland.

It will look bad for Mack if Lynch is indeed quality, and worse if Hack doesn't make major development strides (you know, like playing in all of preseason and stuff).

/shrug

I wanted Prescott or Brissett. I'm okay with Hack too.

Being a fan of this team is hard enough, don't need the added torment of lamenting every pick we didn't make.

48 minutes ago, Warfish said:

/shrug

I "mocked" Cook the Jets with Lynch being off the board.

Hack was too big a question mark for me.

1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

Reading between the lines, we have Fitz and don't have Lynch because of Bowles... and Hack was a Mac move for the future to insulate the Petty selection.

I don't read between the lines to come to that conclusion. He's the GM & if he really thought Lynch was a dramatically better prospect than Hackenberg he wouldn't have picked Lee then Hackenberg.

As likely, or more likely, reading between the lines (workouts, rumors, and the O'Brien connection from Houston) suggests that Maccagnan was obsessed with the idea of drafting Hackenberg: he felt he was getting a 1st round talent QB without having to burn a 1st round pick on him. Maccagnan made inquiries into trading up to #1/#2, but somehow I sense he really didn't want to do it because it would have meant passing on Hackenberg. Only way he was willing to trade up that high (yes, my opinion) is if he could get mid-high 1st round trade value for Mo, which simply wasn't happening. At the same time, simply inquiring about moving up suggests on paper he knows the value of a top QB.

That said, you may be right and theoretically it could be all on Bowles, but I don't think the GM takes orders from his underling (with a defense-only background) when it comes to assessing QB prospects. What the hell does Todd Bowles know about drafting or not drafting QBs? 

Until proven otherwise, this was Maccagnan's call. They may have both been in agreement on it, and I'll buy that, but no way MM thought Lynch was clearly the best QB he could get his hands on (after not trading up), in a ridiculously QB-driven league, and decided to draft an ILB instead. Looks to me he liked Hackenberg just as much, if not more so, and didn't want to let that one slip away.

1 hour ago, UnitedWhofans said:

The obvious flaw is that the Broncos and the Jets are two separate situations. One is coming off a Super Bowl won with a dominant defense. The other is an underachieving team that needs to be rebuilt with young players.

Now if Lynch fell into the second round and was there when Hackenberg was taken, then I could see getting pissed.

A quality QB is Priority#1 always. 

Incidentally, despite all my pessimism on him, I'm not saying Hackenberg's an obvious bust. I fully disclose I never watched the kid play in college and don't make long term opinions on such players based on rookie preseason games. All the pre-draft criticism suggests he was a reach, though.

That said, while it's certainly possible he turns it around in 2017, it looks pretty bad that this guy, whom the GM liked enough to pass on Lynch in the 1st, can't secure the #3 QB slot. First they keep Geno, then they don't put Petty on IR. It suggests he's not merely 4th string, but that there's a tremendous gap between him and the 2nd-year #3 QB that's never taken 1 snap in a regular season game.

Taking him in round 2 to me means he should look better than he has so far, even if he is a project. If they can totally tear him down to nothing and build him back up into a starting NFL QB in the next year or two, I'll be seriously impressed and won't give the tiniest of f**ks in what round he was taken.

1 hour ago, UnitedWhofans said:

The key is how the Jets board was situated.  The idea that was floated out here that Bowles didn't want Lynch is without substantiation.  

If the Jets had Lynch higher than Lee and Bowles said I don't want him would the narrative being bantied about out here be correct.  

It is evident that Mac didn't value the Lynch pick as highly as the Broncos. 

Was he wrong? Time will tell.  

But I highly doubt it was because Bowles went into the draft room and said I want Lee over Lynch, unless they were rated equally and that generally is not how draft boards are created.  

7 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I don't read between the lines to come to that conclusion. He's the GM & if he really thought Lynch was a dramatically better prospect than Hackenberg he wouldn't have picked Lee then Hackenberg.

As likely, or more likely, reading between the lines (workouts, rumors, and the O'Brien connection from Houston) suggests that Maccagnan was obsessed with the idea of drafting Hackenberg: he felt he was getting a 1st round talent QB without having to burn a 1st round pick on him. Maccagnan made inquiries into trading up to #1/#2, but somehow I sense he really didn't want to do it because it would have meant passing on Hackenberg. Only way he was willing to trade up that high (yes, my opinion) is if he could get mid-high 1st round trade value for Mo, which simply wasn't happening. At the same time, simply inquiring about moving up suggests on paper he knows the value of a top QB.

That said, you may be right and theoretically it could be all on Bowles, but I don't think the GM takes orders from his underling (with a defense-only background) when it comes to assessing QB prospects. What the hell does Todd Bowles know about drafting or not drafting QBs? 

Until proven otherwise, this was Maccagnan's call. They may have both been in agreement on it, and I'll buy that, but no way MM thought Lynch was clearly the best QB he could get his hands on (after not trading up), in a ridiculously QB-driven league, and decided to draft an ILB instead. Looks to me he liked Hackenberg just as much, if not more so, and didn't want to let that one slip away.

Have never been a draft nut. But having a kid getting recruited by admittedly lower level programs than PSU (and a different position than QB) , you see and hear a lot about players, programs and coaches. Not scientific, a lot of it amount to gossip and settling scores.. But what gave me great pause about the pick; despite a great frosh season, know from some college recruits that did some camps at PSU; Hackenberg is a complete douchebag to everyone and anyone at PSU.There's a lot of Jimmy Clausen comparisons, and that is not good.  I understand the offense got changed, but you make the best of it and deal with it. He didn't do that at all. Think of it; the guy was the starting QB for a storied Big 10 program; thats' the definition of having the world by the balls. He should have walked around with a smile on his face and a hot cheerleader on his arm 24/7. And he spent 3 years pouting and crying like a whiny little bitch. Unless he's an all world talent that can start very soon, would not want this guy anywhere near Florham Park. But it's done, and now the Jets have to make the best of it. 

2 hours ago, bealeb319 said:

it should tell you something that lynch was the back up and not buried in a red shirt year

3 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

I know that was the story but I am not buying it. Macc is clearing in charge of the roster. If he believed in Lynch, he needs to make that pick. Getting along with Bowles is less important than finding a franchise QB.

Archived