Jump to content

Thoughts On Todd Bowles: MERGED


j4jets
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, CotcheryifyouCan said:

i joked about les miles, but we need to get an offensive coach in here ( I know our d is terrible), but we have hired d coaches since i can remember. sean peyton maybe?

 

21 minutes ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

So who replaces him next year? Even though I would be suprised if he gets fired this year.

or dare i say josh mcdaniels. maybe dont give him any personnel moves

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, CotcheryifyouCan said:

i joked about les miles, but we need to get an offensive coach in here ( I know our d is terrible), but we have hired d coaches since i can remember. sean peyton maybe?

Just now, CotcheryifyouCan said:

 

or dare i say josh mcdaniels. maybe dont give him any personnel moves

I doubt he would even take it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Ex-Rex said:

The you don't know much about football, because this is a man's game where you impose your will. The Jets do not. I am not saying you ALWAYS run on 2nd ond 1 but he never does. He is from the Bruce Coslet school of offensive coaching.

He ran on 2nd and 1 earlier in the game I think. Got stuffed, and instead there were complaints like why on earth are they running it on 2nd & 1 like a bunch of 1970s-1980s era pussies?!?

Basically, any play call that doesn't work out gets second-guessed in hindsight. The thing that opens things up the most is not being limited by the QB, and for the receivers to not drop it on those times he actually gets it right. But he's a much bigger limiter to the offense than the OC. Far more than I think most realize. Most just see completion percentages and more importantly TD:INT ratios and make broader competence assumptions based on that. Well that's how we're in this mess with this stiff returning this year.

I'm not going off on you personally I'm just frustrated in general because i know they won't fire Bowles for at least a couple more seasons, and their biggest upside with him - in the future, not this year - looks to be one and done (if even that). And beyond Bowles, I'm far from convinced Maccagnan knows what he's doing either beyond finding a couple of late round prospects with good upside. Otherwise Leonard Williams fell into his lap, Lee is poor value for a 1st round pick on a team that should be targeting QBs when they're available or within reach, and he spends like a drunken Tannenbaum.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

He ran on 2nd and 1 earlier in the game I think. Got stuffed, and instead there were complaints like why on earth are they running it on 2nd & 1 like a bunch of 1970s-1980s era pussies?!?

Basically, any play call that doesn't work out gets second-guessed in hindsight. The thing that opens things up the most is not being limited by the QB, and for the receivers to not drop it on those times he actually gets it right. But he's a much bigger limiter to the offense than the OC. Far more than I think most realize. Most just see completion percentages and more importantly TD:INT ratios and make broader competence assumptions based on that. Well that's how we're in this mess with this stiff returning this year.

I'm not going off on you personally I'm just frustrated in general because i know they won't fire Bowles for at least a couple more seasons, and their biggest upside with him - in the future, not this year - looks to be one and done (if even that). And beyond Bowles, I'm far from convinced Maccagnan knows what he's doing either beyond finding a couple of late round prospects with good upside. Otherwise Leonard Williams fell into his lap, Lee is poor value for a 1st round pick on a team that should be targeting QBs when they're available or within reach, and he spends like a drunken Tannenbaum.

Macc built this team to contend now for a playoff spot it had about a 2 year window problem is the Head Coach is a fcuking moron. I'm fine with the 2nd and 1 what bothers me is how many times we threw the ball 20 and 30 yards down field on 3rd and short so far this year I think I can count 3 times. This is the worst coached team I have seen since .... Rex Ryan.

Steeler offense getting hot late in the game so we punt the ball back to them down 11 points with 7 minutes to play on 4th and short ...  like half a yard. How the fcuk can anyone justify that ?

How do you kick an extra point to go up by 6 points ?????? Who the Fcuk does that ?

How do you still not know how to use timeouts ? Or when to throw the red flag ?

Why does the man even wear a headset ? Does he ever talk into the god damn thing ?

If I were the GM of this football team Bowles would have been made aware of all his gaffs 2 weeks ago and his ass would have been on the street shortly after this game.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was optimistic about Bowles when we first hired him because of his background, his demeanor and his Parcell roots. But then the last game of the 2015 season happened and I started to have doubts. NFL coaches--even so-so Jets coaches--just don't lose games like that. One last game against a demoralized, injury-riddled Bills team to get into the playoffs, and your team comes out flat and uninspired? How is that possible? Herm Edwards was, I think we all can agree, an at-best average NFL coach. But even he was able to lift his team on that memorable day in December 2002 when the Jets, suddenly faced with a win-and-you're-in situation against the Packers, rose up and crushed them. I still remember the sight of Edwards marching up and down the sidelines that day urging on his team after the Miami loss opened the door for us. All I remember from the Buffalo game was Bowles standing around like a statue as his team pissed the game away.

But whatever, I came into this season hoping Bowles learned from the experience. I don't think he has and I'm not confident he ever will. It's not the 1-4 record -- it's the way we're losing. It's like a repeat of the Buffalo game ever week. Uninspired play, ultra-conservative playcalling and poor play by a defensive unit that is supposed to be one of the best in the league.

Playing like this with the team we have on paper is inexcusable. But I doubt Bowles will be fired at the end of the season no matter what happens. Woody Johnson likes to stick with decorum, so I'm sure he'd give him another year to straighten the mess out.

 

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

What does a comment like that have to do with should they have passed on 2nd and 1? 

Think if they ran on that one play he would have taken that comment back?

I'm looking at the big picture. Not one play. Gailey's play calling is bad, the gameplan is stale, and they aren't putting players in a position to succeed. Bilal Powell might be the best weapon on the offense and he can barely see the field until just these past two weeks. It's not good offense any way you slice it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

These last 3 games have been hard to watch and carbon copies of each other. Competitive 1st halves and then get trounced. Other teams seem to be adjusting and Bowles has no answers. He cant motivate, can't game plan, can't adjust. Fire him and his buddy Rodgers. Rex sucks, but at least his 6-10 and 4-12 teams with worse personnel didn't look this ill prepared and utterly dreadful for 3 straight weeks.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

Macc built this team to contend now for a playoff spot it had about a 2 year window problem is the Head Coach is a fcuking moron. I'm fine with the 2nd and 1 what bothers me is how many times we threw the ball 20 and 30 yards down field on 3rd and short so far this year I think I can count 3 times. This is the worst coached team I have seen since .... Rex Ryan.

Steeler offense getting hot late in the game so we punt the ball back to them down 11 points with 7 minutes to play on 4th and short ...  like half a yard. How the fcuk can anyone justify that ?

How do you kick an extra point to go up by 6 points ?????? Who the Fcuk does that ?

How do you still not know how to use timeouts ? Or when to throw the red flag ?

Why does the man even wear a headset ? Does he ever talk into the god damn thing ?

If I were the GM of this football team Bowles would have been made aware of all his gaffs 2 weeks ago and his ass would have been on the street shortly after this game.

You're asking me to defend Todd Bowles? A bit like asking you to defend Geno Smith, no?

"We" don't throw the ball 20-30 yards downfield on short yardage. The QB does. And if the downfield target isn't WIDE open he's supposed to throw it to someone else. He doesn't because he is like a dumb racehorse with blinders on. He did the same sh*t last year. Everyone isn't running these deep routes. If it isn't there, don't throw it there. This is what makes him a lousy QB. It affects and infects the whole offense.

That said, Bowles has no feel for the game. He has no ability to change on the fly, and frankly the simple elementary gaffes he's repeatedly committing suggest the reason why is he simply isn't smart enough. The guy has been in and around this game for decades and he still doesn't know when or why to go for it, use timeouts, forgo the below-the-waist frustration that leads to challenging obvious-outcome plays, or even get his team to act like they have a pulse.

But all that stuff is just a small # of specifics. It all points to the same thing: he was never qualified in the first place, and has no answers because he is in way too far over his head. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

I'm looking at the big picture. Not one play. Gailey's play calling is bad, the gameplan is stale, and they aren't putting players in a position to succeed. Bilal Powell might be the best weapon on the offense and he can barely see the field until just these past two weeks. It's not good offense any way you slice it. 

I think the biggest problem would be that Powell might be the best weapon on this team. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

I missed Bowles' presser.  Anything good?

Same BS about Fitz giving the best chance to win and he hasn't lost any confidence?

He was asked if part of the potential changes he talked about included the QB and instantly said "no" without blinking.

It appears Marshall will not be the only one that needs a life vest.  I have way more faith in Macc than I do Bowles.  This entire staff should get nuked and let Macc pick his own coach. 

  • Upvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The only young alternative that I would want if Bowles were fired would be Josh McDaniels... and that's not going to happen. Maybe Todd Haley would be somebody worth looking into.

With that said, Bowles will be here for next year at least. No way is he fired.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Was a big Todd Bowles supporter....but stupid ...old school...conservative decision-making...has no place in the modern game.

 

his decision to sit on the football with 41 seconds left in the half with a timeout remaining....was just stupid.

what has a greater chance of happening?  Jets move the ball 35-40 yards and try a FG?....or Fitz throws a pick and the Steelers score?   If you think the latter..(it's just not logical...even with Fitz)....you are very old school....and stupid..because you are ignoring percentages.

and he did it again in the second half. It's dumb on multiple levels.

i can't stand stupid football. I've had it.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

You're asking me to defend Todd Bowles? A bit like asking you to defend Geno Smith, no?

"We" don't throw the ball 20-30 yards downfield on short yardage. The QB does. And if the downfield target isn't WIDE open he's supposed to throw it to someone else. He doesn't because he is like a dumb racehorse with blinders on. He did the same sh*t last year. Everyone isn't running these deep routes. If it isn't there, don't throw it there. This is what makes him a lousy QB. It affects and infects the whole offense.

That said, Bowles has no feel for the game. He has no ability to change on the fly, and frankly the simple elementary gaffes he's repeatedly committing suggest the reason why is he simply isn't smart enough. The guy has been in and around this game for decades and he still doesn't know when or why to go for it, use timeouts, forgo the below-the-waist frustration that leads to challenging obvious-outcome plays, or even get his team to act like they have a pulse.

But all that stuff is just a small # of specifics. It all points to the same thing: he was never qualified in the first place, and has no answers because he is in way too far over his head. 

I posted this LAST YEAR and got 19 negs ...19.  A year later.....Going for 30.

We start 4-1 and many see Mac as the best thing since Pop Tarts.  We are now 5-5.  Is the truth surfacing? Is Mac (and Bowles) over their head?  Was it smart to spend zillions on an overaged, make shift secondary?  Was it smart to use a No.1 pick on another DLineman when DL was this team's strength?  Was it smart to not get a better option at QB other than Fitzy when you have the combustible Geno as your starter?  Was it smart to sign Revis to ALL that money knowing he is getting older fast and Cro having a history of being scorched? Was it smart to draft a wr in round 2 that showed nothing more than vertical speed in college and never ran another route in his life?  Was it smart signing Harris to a ALL that money?  The answer is a resounding NO.  I was totally against Revis and Harris signing for billions, bringing back Cro and giving Gilchrist all that money as well. Skrine I could see.  Relying on Smith to be your starting QB? Stupid. Signing Fitz as a back up plan wasn't exactly genius either.  Still, not much choice in the matter BUT he has to address this for 2016.  Petty is not even close to ready.  And the prior draft looks rather pedestrian.  I was hoping they would have taken Todd Gurrely. Risk aside, if it didn't pay off, so be it. But, if you hit on it, then you get the best RB the NFL has seen since AD (Peterson). Of course, Williams is a potential beast, but we needed offense.  Round 2 - Devin Smith - OMG this kid is nothing more than the reincarnation of Ted Ginn w/o the ability to return kicks or catch and occasional ball. What a waste.  Mauldin has been a nice find. Petty was worth the gamble.  Anyways, this mess falls squarely on Bowles and Mac, who I believe are both over their heads in their roles.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

First of all didn't Quinn choose Atlanta over us plus the Jets were better last year than Atlanta. The Falcons are having a good game today and we sucked. Look, only the Geno fans complained about him last year. If he made tactical mistakes they weren't magnified like they are so far this year with 3 bad games in a row. Most of us liked him. What concerns me mostly is the poor play of the secondary and the breakdowns and miscommunication. His supposed area of expertise. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

ughhh this is getting tiring....

 

at the start of the year we were all sure that wed take the afc east. ne was going down. miami who? buffalo who?

 

now we are not just in last place but maybe last place in the entire league. we just might get the #1 pick

Have no fear they'll screw it up even if they get the #1 pick. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

First of all didn't Quinn choose Atlanta over us plus the Jets were better last year than Atlanta. The Falcons are having a good game today and we sucked. Look, only the Geno fans complained about him last year. If he made tactical mistakes they weren't magnified like they are so far this year with 3 bad games in a row. Most of us liked him. What concerns me mostly is the poor play of the secondary and the breakdowns and miscommunication. His supposed area of expertise. 

Most of us who understand football knew that last season we played the weakest schedule in the NFL. Yes Fitzpatrick broke all kinds of Jets records (not that big of a deal to those of us who understand Jets football) We all knew those of us who understand football that we only beat 2 teams with winning records we saw Fitzpatrick fold in the big game like he has his entire career so when the Jets resigned him we called what was going to happen this year.  Dan Quinn light years ahead of Todd Bowels as a head coach in the NFL. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...