Time to switch QBs

Maxman

2 minutes ago, Maxman said:

I love 5 wide. But I also love a balanced offense. I wish we had fullbacks and tight ends. The thought of running the ball up the middle on 3rd and 1 makes me happy. Instead of doing weird option plays with non-running QBs.

They have four tight ends and the best one is a drunk. The red Zone playcalling is bad, pure and simple. There's no threat of a running game down there like there was last season and so they're asking Fitz to do too much. Khiry Robinson breaking his leg was a huge blow to this team, though the way Gailey deploys Powell it really makes me wonder if they'd use him at all. 

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"And no Fitz hasn't been the key problem ..."

Your QB has thrown NINE INTs in 3 games, has led all of ONE TD drive in the 3rd quarter of 5 games, and he's not a "key" problem?!!!

This notion that the lack of offense isn't the ROOT CAUSE of the Jets problems is silly and based on some sort of undeserved man crush people have for Fitzpatrick.

I mean, I guess, in reality, the ROOT CAUSE is the coaching staff wedded to this loser. but, ON THE FIELD Fitzpatrick is the reason.

1 hour ago, Maxman said:

@T0mShane said last year that Devin Smith is wasted if Fitz is the QB. I know he is hurt but it is a good point. The Steelers opened the game with a long TD to a burner. Not a high probability play, but that is never going to be an option with Fitz as the QB.

The same could be said for playing Anderson.  If the QB can't reach him he's pretty much wasted.

5 minutes ago, Maxman said:

I love 5 wide. But I also love a balanced offense. I wish we had fullbacks and tight ends. The thought of running the ball up the middle on 3rd and 1 makes me happy. Instead of doing weird option plays with non-running QBs.

the jets owned the redzone last year, but the league adjusted.  I noticed whenever powell is in the game its an automatic screen alert for the defense, they spy powell and are ready for it

defenses are waiting on the fade to brandon and the slant from decker.  bmarsh beasted on the TD today, but chan needs new tricks.  down there pick plays work, like the one that got Lee today

Just now, Larz said:

but chan needs new tricks

Um, there actually ARE other reads for every pass that Fitzpatrick has thrown to Marshall. They are actually open receivers other than the only WR Fitzpatrick seems capable of routinely looking to.

4 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

They have four tight ends and the best one is a drunk. The red Zone playcalling is bad, pure and simple. There's no threat of a running game down there like there was last season and so they're asking Fitz to do too much. Khiry Robinson breaking his leg was a huge blow to this team, though the way Gailey deploys Powell it really makes me wonder if they'd use him at all. 

They are so one dimensional with Powell. The league caught on to the inside screen late last year. I agree on Khiry, I thought he was going to make a difference this year.

6 minutes ago, phill1c said:

Probably not. But, c'mon, the Geno Smith who was a rookie won 8 games with dreck around him. So, you're saying there's no room for improvement?! To say that just means you're not accepting that anyone, even the dark skinned, immature brother, can grow.

In any event, watching Fitzpatrick waste another game seems silly and masochistic.

I look at the game with my eyes, not my heart.

Geno has never any shown ANY progression over the years...none.  Everyone that says Petty sucks or is unproven because he was playing against future used car salesmen fail to state why that isn't an issue considering Geno's fate even though he has 2 years experience as an NFL starting QB and looked worse.

I don't look at Geno's stats as much as I look at his decision making and appearance in the pocket...and he is not a long term answer for us.  Considering that, a 49+ page argument at this point as to why or why not Geno isn't playing is pissing in the wind.

Yes, Fitz is a problem.  No, starting Geno does not solve 1/10 of the Jets issues, and if he plays 'meh', only complicates the QB issue going forward., and even that is unlikely.

Petty plays when he's healthy and we move on unless Fitz gets injured.  Just my opinion.

7 minutes ago, phill1c said:

"And no Fitz hasn't been the key problem ..."

Your QB has thrown NINE INTs in 3 games, has led all of ONE TD drive in the 3rd quarter of 5 games, and he's not a "key" problem?!!!

This notion that the lack of offense isn't the ROOT CAUSE of the Jets problems is silly and based on some sort of undeserved man crush people have for Fitzpatrick.

I mean, I guess, in reality, the ROOT CAUSE is the coaching staff wedded to this loser. but, ON THE FIELD Fitzpatrick is the reason.

33 points in the last three weeks, all losses.

Time for a change.

2 minutes ago, greenwave81 said:

I look at the game with my eyes, not my heart.

Geno has never any shown ANY progression over the years...none.

Um, that's just not true. The last 4 games of his starting career, he finished with a perfect QB rating. that's not progress???

Look at the record. Or are you too lazy and prejudiced to do that?

32 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

No. Translation is they aren't keeping him no matter what. If he does meh they aren't re-signing him. If he does decently well he's going to want to go to another team for a fresh start.

It's pointless. 

You personally just don't want him back. Petty is the classic go too argument when all else fails. If Geno does well why wouldn't they want to keep him? Better yet where else can Geno start? If he finally gets a second chance why would he want to leave when he probably can't get a starting job elsewhere? 

I think we all agree that at some point the Jets will bench Fitz. The order coming off the bench logically should be Petty. Assuming Fitz is gone next year. Petty is the most experienced of the 2qbs on the roster next year and you have to see what he looks like against first stringers. Geno could come in if petty does not perform well.IF he does well the Jets should sign Geno to a contract similar to Fitz... to hold the fort. I doubt he wants to be here and would prefer to try to reguvinate his career elsewhere. However IMO the only teams that would take him are Cleveland and San Francisco and they will be getting their choice at the top 2 qbs in next year's draft.

It will be interesting how the Jets mover forward with Geno.

2 minutes ago, greenwave81 said:

The last FOUR games he had a perfect QB rating?  Really?

If so, we ain't having this conversation.  And I guess you didn't catch this PS.

He Improved. You said he had shown no improvement.

I saw this PS (if you meant preseason). He was no better or worse than Ryan Fitzpatrick. Only he has an arm and doesn't lock in solely on Brandon Marshall.

In any event, you were incorrect in saying he hadn't improved. I was wrong to say that he finished all 4 starts with a perfect record, only his last start was "perfect". in any event, there's virtually no way he could be as hard to watch as Fitzpatrick and certainly deserves a chance.

15 minutes ago, Joejet said:

The same could be said for playing Anderson.  If the QB can't reach him he's pretty much wasted.

Yes, I agree. I meant to add him in my original post but I got lazy. Definitely is the same thing though. A burner with potential that can stretch the field vertically.

39 minutes ago, greenwave81 said:

LOL...like Woody is so involved and put out about a decision to pay a QB who won 10 games last year $12 mill that he's gonna fire his GM and Coach?  Jeez...do you guys even think before you post?

Let's say he DIDN'T sign Fitz and the Jets are in the same boat right now....how would THAT sit with Woody?

Honestly, this is a lot less complicated then a lot on here are making it out to be....

Fitz won 10 games last year and was a FA;

Petty hadn't shown sh*t til this pre-season, and we have no idea if it was all smoke or the real deal but the Jets KNEW Geno was not a long-term answer;

Geno had all off-season with the 1's before Fitz signed and did nothing to negate his 2+ yrs of suckage to make signing Fitz unnecessary ;

Petty is hurt, Hack isn't an option so it's Fitz until he's either hurt or Petty is healthy....that was the plan all along.

My issue is, considering what has transpired this season to date, if they were that certain that Geno was going to be gone after this season, why did they play Petty in the 4th PS game?  I understand they wanted him to get some more reps etc., but if you're hell bent against Geno then he should have been playing in PS game 4, not Petty.

It didn't matter how Geno looked in camp whenever they were able to come to an agreement with Fitzpatrick he was going to be the starter. They weren't going to risk a PR nightmare with starting the season with Geno. If Geno was the starter and the team goes 1-4 the backlash would be 10x worse than it is now. 

3 minutes ago, phill1c said:

He Improved. You said he had shown no improvement.

I saw this PS (if you meant preseason). He was no better or worse than Ryan Fitzpatrick. Only he has an arm and doesn't lock in solely on Brandon Marshall.

In any event, you were incorrect in saying he hadn't improved. I was wrong to say that he finished all 4 starts with a perfect record, only his last start was "perfect". in any event, there's virtually no way he could be as hard to watch as Fitzpatrick and certainly deserves a chance.

The thing with Geno in the preseason was that he looked like he had little  to no confidence. He was playing to not make a mistake, that's concerning to me. Hopefully if/when he gets a shot he shakes that off. 

1 minute ago, August said:

It didn't matter how Geno looked in camp whenever they were able to come to an agreement with Fitzpatrick he was going to be the starter. They weren't going to risk a PR nightmare with starting the season with Geno. If Geno was the starter and the team goes 1-4 the backlash would be 10x worse than it is now. 

I agree...which is why I said Bowles had a Rex moment playing Petty in PS game 4, then he got injured.

And they only came to an agreement with Fitz cause Geno showed them no reason not to throughout the pre-season while taking 1st team reps.  Or at least, didn't show enough to give them confidence not to sign Fitz.

1 minute ago, August said:

The thing with Geno in the preseason was that he looked like he had little  to no confidence. He was playing to not make a mistake, that's concerning to me. Hopefully if/when he gets a shot he shakes that off. 

I totally agree.

I'm not suggesting that Geno Smith will be all that much better, but I do believe his talent will make him better than 7-point 3rd quarter Fitzpatrick.

1 minute ago, greenwave81 said:

I agree...which is why I said Bowles had a Rex moment playing Petty in PS game 4, then he got injured.

And they only came to an agreement with Fitz cause Geno showed them no reason not to throughout the pre-season while taking 1st team reps.  Or at least, didn't show enough to give them confidence not to sign Fitz.

Again, Geno could've looked like a prime Peyton Manning in OTA's and Mini Camp and they STILL would've tried to sign Fitzpatrick back. You know why? Because it's good PR. They couldn't risk starting the season with Geno and if the team starts off poorly with him out there, the fans and media would kill the team. 

3 minutes ago, phill1c said:

I totally agree.

I'm not suggesting that Geno Smith will be all that much better, but I do believe his talent will make him better than 7-point 3rd quarter Fitzpatrick.

If he regains his confidence then sure. I'd like to find out. 

9 minutes ago, August said:

He's looked like that his whole career...what makes you think that's gonna 'shake off'?

3 years into his 'career' and he still has 'no confidence'?  Maybe there's a reason for that.

Archived