Mo Wilkerson ~ ~ ~

kelly

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Larz said:

Or.....

Sent from my LGLS992 using JetNation.com mobile app

Come 2018 he could be cut to save 11mil in cap space.  There'd be a 9mil dead cap hit, but better than years of an underachieving guy ripping off the team.

Still hope last season was just about injury.  Maybe he was still recovering from 2016's injury and he'll play great this season and beyond.

However, if the team knows that's not the case and he was just being lazy, hell I'd consider cutting or trading him now.  Doubt we'd be able to trade or even give him away now with his contract, but maybe we could sweeten the deal somehow by shouldering like 20% of his contract or something.

Just accept it was dumb signing him and cut the losses.  It's not like it's worse than paying Fitz 12mil.  

Extend Sheldon and be done with it.

On 3/18/2017 at 2:54 PM, Freemanm said:

He's gotta make a few less trips to the Golden Coral Buffet.

dear freeman, hi !..just an fyi...  Wilk has Planted himself @ the " ALL u can eat Buffet "    :cry: 

cheers ~ ~ 

:beer:

Rich CiminiESPN Staff Writer

Responding to a recent newspaper story that described him as grossly overweight, New York Jets defensive end Muhammad Wilkerson posted a video Wednesday on his Instagram account in which he mocks the notion that he has a weight problem.

"They say I'm fat and out of shape? Haha," Wilkerson says on the video, laughing. "Keep sleeping on me. I'm telling you. I love it."Wilkerson's face is seen on the video, but not his body. He's sweating as he appears to be walking or running on a treadmill in a gym.

Quoting unnamed scouts, the New York Daily News reported Wilkerson looked "sloppy" and "absolutely terrible" while attending the Temple pro day as a spectator. (Wilkerson played football at Temple.) The newspaper didn't cite his current weight or provide any photographic evidence.Wilkerson was listed on the Jets' roster last season at 315 pounds. It was a disappointing year for the former Pro Bowl player, who amassed only 4.5 sacks after signing a five-year, $86 million contract before training camp.

The offseason program, which is voluntary, begins April 17. Wilkerson has been working out at a facility in Orlando, Florida, and in New Jersey.

>    http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/67714/jets-muhammad-wilkerson-claims-hes-not-fat-and-out-of-shape

1 hour ago, kelly said:
Rich CiminiESPN Staff Writer

Responding to a recent newspaper story that described him as grossly overweight, New York Jets defensive end Muhammad Wilkerson posted a video Wednesday on his Instagram account in which he mocks the notion that he has a weight problem.

"They say I'm fat and out of shape? Haha," Wilkerson says on the video, laughing. "Keep sleeping on me. I'm telling you. I love it."Wilkerson's face is seen on the video, but not his body. He's sweating as he appears to be walking or running on a treadmill in a gym.

Quoting unnamed scouts, the New York Daily News reported Wilkerson looked "sloppy" and "absolutely terrible" while attending the Temple pro day as a spectator. (Wilkerson played football at Temple.) The newspaper didn't cite his current weight or provide any photographic evidence.Wilkerson was listed on the Jets' roster last season at 315 pounds. It was a disappointing year for the former Pro Bowl player, who amassed only 4.5 sacks after signing a five-year, $86 million contract before training camp.

The offseason program, which is voluntary, begins April 17. Wilkerson has been working out at a facility in Orlando, Florida, and in New Jersey.

>    http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/67714/jets-muhammad-wilkerson-claims-hes-not-fat-and-out-of-shape

I think this is one of those rare occasions where Manish might have done jets and fans a small favor. Whether he is overweight or not he now needs to show up in shape and play hard.  Much like putting quotes up on locker room wall.

-- After landing a lucrative contract last offseason, Jets defensive end Muhammad Wilkerson struggled in 2016. But Jets coach Todd Bowles expects Wilkerson to return to his old form next season."Hopefully, if he's healthy, I expect him to be back to the Muhammad that he was normally," Bowles said Tuesday at the NFL owners meeting in Phoenix. 

Wilkerson broke his leg in the 2015 season finale. The lingering effects of the injury perhaps limited his production in 2016, when he had 4.5 sacks, compared to 12 in 2015. 

Why did Wilkerson's production dip last season ? 

"I'm sure he played hurt most of the year, and we had to give him some off days," Bowles said. "Usually, those things take about a year and a half to come back from. He came back early, gutted it out, showed the kind of warrior he is. Hopefully, he's gotten better, and he can go back to being himself."Wilkerson missed just one game last season, after playing a full season in 2015. He needs to produce more than he did last season, in order to prove he was worth that contract. 

He also needs to show up on time. He was benched for one quarter last season in Miami because of tardiness issues. Bowles was rather dismissive of those issues Tuesday.The Jets gave Wilkerson $36.75 million fully guaranteed upon signing last summer. His total guarantee will increase to $53.5 million if he remains with the Jets for 2018.But that's not a lock. The Jets will have a decision to make on Wilkerson after the 2017 season. His 2018 salary ($16.75 million) doesn't become fully guaranteed until next March.

If the Jets cut Wilkerson after 2017, they'd create $11 million in salary cap space, while eating a $9 million dead money figure. He would have a $20 million cap hit if he remains for 2018. Wilkerson will have an $18 million cap hit in 2017 -- the Jets' largest next season. 

>      http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2017/03/jets_todd_bowles_muhammad_wilkerson.html#incart_river_index

The New York Jets expect to see the 2015 version of Muhammad Wilkerson this season, not the slow-Mo who labored through a pedestrian 2016. Reputations are riding on it, mainly those of Wilkerson and general manager Mike Maccagnan, who signed him to that monster contract last July.

"Hopefully, if he's healthy, I expect him to be back to the Muhammad that he normally is," coach Todd Bowles said last week at the NFL owners meetings in Phoenix.

Wilkerson's health was a matter of debate last season. He played in 15 games and 81 percent of the defensive snaps, yet there was constant speculation on whether he was affected by his surgically repaired fibula. He managed only 4.5 sacks, his fewest since his rookie season (2011). Bowles, who downplayed the injury throughout the season, offered a revised take last week."I'm sure he played hurt most of the year," he said. "We had to give him some off-days. Usually, those things take about a year-and-a-half to come back from. He came back early and gutted it out. It shows the kind of warrior he is. Hopefully, he's gotten better and he can go back to being himself."

You might say this is a prove-it season for Wilkerson, whose five-year, $86 million contract currently contains no fully guaranteed money after 2017.The Jets can cut him next offseason without blowing up their salary cap. In fact, they can clear $17 million of his $20 million cap charge if he's designated as a June 1 cut. The decision must be made by the third day of the 2018 league year (early March). If he's still on the roster, his $16.75 million base salary becomes guaranteed.

Know this : If he struggles through another no-impact season, Wilkerson won't see that money.

This is a huge year for Wilkerson, who must prove 2016 was an injury-related aberration. There are no excuses. He needs to show up on time (an issue in the past) and be a dominant player, as he was in 2015. He's still only 27, so it's not like age is a factor.Maccagnan has a big stake in this as well because, let's be honest, he's not exactly crushing it when it comes to big deals. The three most noteworthy contracts in his first two years were Darrelle Revis ($39 million guaranteed), Ryan Fitzpatrick ($12 million) and Wilkerson ($37 million).

Revis and Fitzpatrick are gone after bad seasons, and Wilkerson is another bad year away from becoming an ex-Jet. A general manager doesn't get to keep spending his owner's millions unless he starts hitting on some of these deals.Despite some concern within the organization about Wilkerson's work habits, Maccagnan felt confident enough in the player's upside to hammer out a deadline deal literally only minutes before the negotiating window for franchise tags closed last summer.

Right now, it looks like another bad deal for the Jets, but Wilkerson has the power to change the perception. There should be no shortage of motivation.

>    http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/67912/jets-expect-muhammad-wilkerson-to-be-mo-better-in-17-or-else

• 2 weeks later...

Rich Cimini ESPN Staff Writer 

Jets DE Mo Wilkerson, who skipped last year's offseason program due to a contract dispute (unsigned franchise tender), reported early Monday morning for the start of this year's offseason. He has plenty of incentive -- a $250,000 workout bonus, part of the five-year, $86 million deal he signed last July. Players coming off surgery, including WR Eric Decker and QB Bryce Petty, also were in attendance.

>   http://www.espn.com/nfl/team/_/name/nyj/new-york-jets

• 4 weeks later...

As bad as things were for the New York Jets last season, most people think things are about to get even worse. But not Muhammad Wilkerson. He sees something different.

After a miserable 5-11 season, he sees the Jets on the way back up.

"The team will definitely be positive and do more things better than we did last year -- I can guarantee that," Wilkerson said on Tuesday night. "We'll have more wins than we did last year. That's a fact."

Granted, as far as guarantees go, vowing to hit the six-win mark isn't exactly going out on a limb. But with the Jets dumping veterans left and right and embarking on a near-total rebuilding job, positive outlooks are hard to fine.Wilkerson, speaking before the United Way Gridiron Gala at the Hilton in midtown Manhattan, said he's seen good things from his teammates during the first few weeks of the offseason program. He said they haven't let the housecleaning get them down.

"It's a lot of veterans that are gone, but it's just the way that we've been approaching this offseason thus far," Wilkerson said. "We've got a long way before the regular season kicks off. Just right now, what we've got going on in the locker room, and how guys are preparing right now during the offseason, shows that we'll definitely be successful come the regular season."Wilkerson put himself in that category, too. He had as bad a season as any Jet last year, as he struggled to regain his form after ankle surgery. He ended up with just 4 ½ sacks in 15 games, but he also had his attitude questioned and was suspended for one quarter of one game for being late to several team meetings.

Then, a report this offseason said Wilkerson was very out of shape, though that didn't appear to be the case at all Tuesday.

All in all, though, it has been a terrible start to the five-year, $86 million contract he signed last offseason. The struggles and criticisms have motivated Wilkerson heading into this year."People want to take shots. All that does is add fuel to my fire, put a spark under me," he said. "I'm going into my seventh year. I know what I need to do. I know what I'm capable of doing. Last year was last year. It didn't go my way as far as myself, my team. But I know what I need to do."And his teammates know what they need to do too, he said, no matter how dire the predictions are outside of the team.

"I'm pretty sure I can speak for most of my teammates, and we don't care what anybody says outside the building," he said. "It's about us, the Jets organization. So that's all that matters to us."

>       https://www.sny.tv/jets/news/wilkerson-guarantees-jets-will-win-more-than-five-games-in-2017/229275224

Jets defensive end Muhammad Wilkerson enters 2017 intent on proving doubters wrong.

He didn't play well in 2016, after getting a lucrative contract last summer. But he was also rehabbing from a broken leg he sustained in the 2015 season finale. Then again, Wilkerson didn't do himself any favors by having tardiness issues that resulted in him being suspended for the first quarter of the Jets' loss in Miami. 

Wilkerson said Friday, during an interview with ESPN New York radio, that he wants to prove he isn't just in it for the money -- after his sack total dropped from 12 in 2015 to 4.5 last year. "At the end of the day, I did have an injury," he said of his 2016 struggles. "I didn't use it as an excuse. Each and every week, I went out there and I did the best I could. I do have a chip on my shoulder. People feel that I was just money hungry - and I just took the money, and now I'm lazy. But I can prove to people that it's more than about money with me." 

Wilkerson also responded to an offseason report that he appeared out of shape, while saying he is motivated in 2017 to play like he did before 2016. 

"For me personally, it's a chip on my shoulder," he said. "Some stuff, like the whole weight situation, you've got some people who just blurt out stuff and put out stories for no reason. And there's no truth behind it. I guess that's the job. You have to write a story, if you want to say that."I'm a competitor. I know I didn't play well last year. I know what I need to do, and know how to play. That's why I have a chip on my shoulder, just to prove that I'm the same Mo that I've been playing [like] before last year." 

Earlier this week, at a charity event, Wilkerson said "shots" from critics "just add fuel to my fire." 

Wilkerson last summer got a five-year, $86 million contract from the Jets, with $36.75 million fully guaranteed at signing (the actual guaranteed money in his deal). His 2018 salary ($16.75 million) doesn't become fully guaranteed until next March.The Jets would create $11 million in salary cap space by cutting him after this season, with $9 million in dead money attached. He is scheduled to have a $20 million cap hit in 2018, if he remains with the Jets.

Will he play well again in 2017 and stick around for 2018? He has $16.75 million riding on that question. 

>     http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2017/05/jets_mo_wilkerson_wants_to_prove_big_contract_didn.html#incart_river_index

just thought I'd take a look to see what's going on during this downtime between seasons.

Just "Kelly" being Kelly.

Same ole stuff.

Close your eyes guys and wake up for the 2018 draft. Hopefully God help us and we will have top 1 2 0r 3 pick

Good nite

#SUCKFORSAM

On 5/14/2017 at 6:11 PM, BRONX DUDE said:

just thought I'd take a look to see what's going on during this downtime between seasons.

Just "Kelly" being Kelly.

Same ole stuff.

Close your eyes guys and wake up for the 2018 draft. Hopefully God help us and we will have top 1 2 0r 3 pick

Good nite

#SUCKFORSAM

hi b. dude !..  thanx for allowing me to..

7437540-22750.jpg

...sit down  :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

Todd Bowles expects Muhammad Wilkersonicon-article-link.gif to be back being himself and he’s not the only one.

“My leg is definitely feeling way better now than it did last year at this point,” Wilkerson said. “It feels great, so I’m definitely looking forward to being who I was before the injury.”

Wilkerson, who fractured his right fibula in the Jets’ 2015 finale vs. the Bills, had a long offseason of rehabilitation before the team’s 2016 training camp. After starting camp on the Active/Physically Unable to Perform list, Wilkerson appeared in 15 games last season while racking up 47 tackles and 4.5 sacks. Bowles acknowledge that Wilkerson “gutted it out” in 2016 and showed what kind of “warrior” he is.“That was my first major injury,” said Wilkerson. “I had never gotten injured like that playing football. I didn’t have the get-off and change of direction. Just running, I was sometimes in pain in the game.”But the pain has left the 6’4”, 315-pound Wilkerson. He has been a full participant on the field during OTAs and will not be limited when training camp has kickoff next month. The Jets’ defensive lineman is being mentored by a coach in Robert Nunn.

“He’s a great coach, his résumé speaks for itself,” Wilkerson said. “Right now, in OTAs he’s teaching us to go back to the basics, the fundamentals with hands, footwork, shedding off blocks and hand placement. I think it’s a great start for the season leading up to training camp and the season.”While some pundits expect a young Jets team to struggle in 2017, Wilkerson says the only opinions that matter are the ones inside the Atlantic Health Jets Training Center.“At the end of the day, it’s all about what’s in this building," he said. "Who cares what the naysayers and the outsiders say? We know what we need to do, we know what we’re capable of doing and we’re just going to go out there each and every Sunday and prove it to ourselves.”

A first-round selection of the Jets in 2011, Wilkerson is entering his seventh NFL season and he is the third-longest tenured player on the roster.

“I know guys look up to me and I still look up to David Harrisicon-article-link.gif,” he said with a laugh. “I’m learning things from him on how to be a great veteran, wise leader and I’m all for it. Definitely always willing to help out the young guys when I can.”The Jets will again possess one of the most talented defensive lines in football. Leonard Williamsicon-article-link.gif was the team’s MVP last season, earning a Pro Bowl invite after collecting 86 tackles and 7.0 sacks. Sheldon Richardsonicon-article-link.gif is a dynamic athlete who can take over a game at any point and Steve McLendonicon-article-link.gifprovides some veteran toughness. There are intriguing young players in the mix as well including Deon Simonicon-article-link.gif and Lawrence Thomasicon-article-link.gif.“I tell Leo and Sheldon that those guys push me. I want to get better every day,” Wilkerson said. “I tell them that’s what keeps me going. I know what I need to do as a pro, but those guys just push me along with Mac and all the young guys in the room. It makes it fun.”

Wilkerson wears a smile these days, knowing he has gotten over a major hurdle. Crediting the medical staff for helping him through his transition, Wilkerson sounds like a man intent on inflicting some damage  in 2017.“I’m itching. I’m pretty sure everybody in the locker room is itching,” he said. “It’s time to take baby steps and we’re learning every day just to get ready once it’s time to get things going.”

>      http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-7/How-Far-Has-Wilkerson-Progressed/2239af55-5c76-4a38-9d1e-016377e78ab4

http://nypost.com/2017/06/14/muhammad-wilkerson-explains-his-plan-for-domination/

Muhammad Wilkerson explains his plan for domination

June 14, 2017 | 2:22pm | Updated

Muhammad Wilkerson explains his plan for domination

Getty Images

Muhammad Wilkerson believes he is back.

Back from a disappointing 2016 season when the Jets defensive end was hindered by a leg injury.

“I want to pretty much have one of my best years ever,” Wilkerson told The Post on his expectations for the 2017 season. “I plan on being dominant.”

Dominance by Wilkerson is something Jets fans saw in 2015, when he had 12 sacks. But he broke his lower right leg in the season finale and spent the offseason recovering from surgery on it. Wilkerson and the Jets thought the leg was strong enough to play on last season, but the leg bothered him throughout the season.

Wilkerson finished the year with 4 ½ sacks and was not his usual disruptive self. That led to plenty of criticism.

“At the end of the day, nobody knew what I was going through,” Wilkerson said. “People can say what they want, but I couldn’t care less about what people say.”

SEE ALSO

Angry Mo Wilkerson trying to prove he's not out of shape

During the middle of last season, Wilkerson met with Dr. Robert Anderson, who performed his surgery months before. Anderson tested the leg and found an issue with a tendon in the surgically repaired leg that was preventing Wilkerson from exploding off the ball like he was used to.

Before the season, Wilkerson had signed a five-year, $86 million contract. His falloff in production led to critics questioning whether Wilkerson was mailing it in after landing the big money.

“I’m not using [the injury] as an excuse, but for those people who say that, I would tell them try playing football, banging up against 300-pound linemen week in and week out basically on one leg,” Wilkerson said. “It is what it is. People are entitled to their own opinion, but I know what I’m capable of doing.”

Wilkerson said the leg is now 100 percent, which has him expecting big things this season. He spent a portion of this offseason in Orlando working with well-known trainer Tom Shaw. Wilkerson appears to be in great shape, a few months after a report that he was out of shape. He said he is down a few pounds from last season. Wilkerson laughed off the report that he was in poor condition.

“People say what they want and make up stuff just to get stories out there,” he said. “If you don’t have nothing to say, you just make up something.”

SEE ALSO

Muhammad Wilkerson's season was ruined the first minute he played

Last season, Wilkerson made headlines for off-the-field behavior, too. After being late several times, Jets coach Todd Bowles benched Wilkerson and teammate Sheldon Richardson for the first quarter of a game in Miami in November. Wilkerson has vowed that won’t be a problem again.

“At the end of the day, I’m a professional,” Wilkerson said. “I have talked to coach Bowles and I spoke in front of my teammates. Last year is last year. Being late is not going to be an issue. We’re not going to bring that topic up. That was last year.”

Wilkerson said he is excited about getting to September for the start of the season. He is now the longest-tenured Jet on defense after the release of David Harris last week. Many people are writing off the Jets, but Wilkerson said the internal expectations remain high.

“It’s all about us right here in this building,” he said. “Who cares what the naysayers say? Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It’s easy for those guys to say we’re going to go 0-and-whatever or we’re only going to win a certain amount of games. We’re in here putting in the work and they’re just sitting in suits talking.”

• 4 weeks later...

Breaking down the New York Jets' roster unit by unit in preparation for training camp, which begins July 29:

Position: Defensive line

Projected starters: Leonard Williams, Steve McLendon, Muhammad Wilkerson.

Projected reserves: Sheldon Richardson, Deon Simon, Lawrence Thomas.

Notables on the bubble: Mike Pennel, Anthony Johnson.

Top storyline: This is the strongest position group on the team, yet it always leaves you expecting more. Except for a few games in 2015, the Williams-Wilkerson-Richardson troika hasn't dominated the way it should. This season will probably be its last chance to make a definitive statement. The goal in camp is to find the right position for each of the big three. It sounds easy, but it's not, because you're talking about three defensive tackles in a 3-4 base front.

Player to watch: Wilkerson followed his best season (a Pro Bowl year in 2015) with his worst to date, raising questions about his desire, ability to play hurt, conditioning, you name it. He sounds like he's ready to rebound, telling anyone with a notepad, "I plan on being dominant." He's 18 months removed from surgery to repair a fractured leg, so there's no excuse. This is a big year for Wilkerson because that five-year, $86 million contract he signed last July runs out of fully guaranteed money this season, providing the Jets with an easy escape next March if they so choose.

Wild card: For the first time in three years, Richardson can go to camp without a suspension hanging over his head. However, that doesn't mean he has found stability. Chances are he will remain on the trading block, where he has resided since last fall. He has been there so long he might have to start paying taxes. This is the final year of his contract, so motivation shouldn't be a problem. He's coming off his worst statistical season (1.5 sacks), but one opposing scout said, "I don't think his stats represent how disruptive he was. I thought he played well." The coaches hope to increase his production by using him more often in his natural position: the 3-technique tackle.

Training camp will be a success if ...: The Jets find a taker for Richardson, who doesn't fit into their long-term plans. It's a long shot, but maybe another team will suffer a key injury and get desperate. If the Jets are offered a third-round pick or better, they should take it. The Jets are also eager to see if Simon can push McLendon at nose tackle. If that happens, it could make McLendon, 31, expendable.

By the numbers: Oddly, the defense didn't play well when Williams, Wilkerson and Richardson -- arguably the unit's three most talented players -- were on the field at the same time. That occurred 51 percent of the time (513 snaps). On those plays, the Jets allowed 5.7 yards per play, higher than the team's season average (5.48), per ESPN Stats & Information. The touchdown pass-interception ratio was 19-2, compared to 11-6 on all other plays. Go figure.

>     http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/69472/challenge-for-jets-unlock-potential-on-talented-defensive-line

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

For two years, Muhammad Wilkerson chafed because he outplayed his rookie contract and wanted a new deal from the New York Jets. He finally got it and it was a whopper -- five years, $86 million. That changed things.When an athlete starts making top-of-the-market money, it raises expectations. Maybe it's not fair, but that's how it goes in our sports society. Wilkerson is making $22 million this year, second-highest among defensive ends, but he's not producing like a $22 million player.

Wilkerson has gone four straight games without a sack, his longest drought since the first five games of the 2012 season. That was his second year in the NFL, when he was a young pup. He has improved steadily over the years, becoming one of the better defensive linemen in the sport. He deserved the big contract, especially after a 12-sack season a year ago.Despite a shortage of impact plays (only 1.5 sacks), Wilkerson isn't playing poorly this season. Some people might look at his numbers and conclude that he has downshifted now that he has a ginormous bank account, but that would be unfair. He's playing at a solid level, just not an elite level. There are a couple of reasons why.

• He's overworked. Wilkerson has played in 299 out 309 defensive snaps, a ridiculously high number for a 300-pound defensive lineman. Coach Todd Bowles said the pass rush wore down Sunday against Ben Roethlisberger, who was sacked only once in his 380-yard, four-touchdown passing day. It's no wonder they got worn down. As usual, the Jets didn't rotate their linemen, which means they probably were on fumes by the fourth quarter.

• The scheme has changed. In case you haven't noticed, the Jets have played mainly 4-3 fronts, with Wilkerson at left end. Bowles has transitioned away from the 3-4 to accommodate the talent on the defensive line (and lack of talent at outside linebacker). As a result, Wilkerson is living on the edge -- literally. He has lined up 79 percent of the time at left end, according to ESPN Stats & Information.

A year ago, Wilkerson split his time between outside and inside, depending on the front and down/distance. He enjoyed the best of both worlds, as he was able to beat guards with his quickness and overwhelm tackles with his power. They're not maximizing his versatility as much as they did last season; offenses know where he's lining up.

In theory, Wilkerson should be thrilled with the scheme change because, traditionally, 4-3 ends produce more sacks than 3-4 ends. But I'm not convinced that applies here because he's not a natural edge rusher. He's a defensive tackle playing end. Basically, the Jets are playing with four defensive tackles on the line."He was doing a lot of the same things last year when he had 12 sacks," Bowles said. "That's not the issue at all. People are paying more attention to him. He's getting doubled a little more."

In Sunday's loss to the Pittsburgh Steelers, Wilkerson was double-teamed on 11 of 44 pass-rushing plays, by my count. He was chipped on another five plays. He was singled on 28 plays. Crunch the numbers, and you'll see that he drew extra attention on one-third of the passing plays -- not an overwhelming number.The most glaring example came on Leonard Williams' strip sack in the fourth quarter. The Steelers slid their protection to Wilkerson's side, doubling him. That left Williams singled up against the left tackle, and he bull-rushed him into Roethlisberger. Wilkerson indirectly affected that play.But there weren't enough of those plays. Roethlisberger's trigger was too quick for the Jets, as he exploited their overmatched secondary with a barrage of short passes. As a result, Wilkerson made little impact.

Still, the great players find a way, especially in clutch situations. They find a way to overcome double-team blocks and scheme changes and workload. Wilkerson hasn't done that, and he came up small on a pivotal play in Pittsburgh.At the start of fourth quarter, down by only four points, the Jets allowed Big Ben to hold the ball for more than three seconds on his 5-yard touchdown pass to Antonio Brown -- an eternity that close to the goal line. Wilkerson tried a spin move on third-string right tackle Chris Hubbard, a former undrafted free agent who made his first career start. Actually, it was his first game ever at right tackle.

Wilkerson's didn't get close to the quarterback. He was stoned by a nobody when his team needed a big play.

Four games and counting.

>     http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/63822/jets-mo-wilkerson-mired-in-longest-sack-slump-in-four-years-but-why

Jets defensive lineman Muhammad Wilkersonicon-article-link.gif has terrorized opposing backfields for six seasons, but this year he’s making his presence felt in a different way. Vocally.

“Pretty much get out of my comfort zone,” Wilkerson said of his new leadership role. “I’ve always been a leader on this team, but I haven’t been vocal. I had other guys who were leaders who were more vocal than I was. They’re no longer here, so I took it upon myself to step up and be more vocal.”

The 6’4”, 315-pounder broke down the team huddle before the Jets' first preseason matchup against the Titans, but the Temple product has been picking up his teammates’ spirits throughout the long, grueling days of training camp.“I have noticed that and I love it,” fellow lineman Leonard Williamsicon-article-link.gif said. “We talk to each other sometimes and if we see something happening, we bring it up together. He’s definitely being a great leader and stepping up. He’s helping out the team and making sure everyone is staying focused and in the right direction. He’s catching the little things when they happen and stopping it before it continues. I think that’s the most important part — not waiting for it to get too bad to where we have to say something, but nip something in the bud before it starts.”

Wilkerson said he’s in good health as he battled an ankle for the majority of last season. The 27-year-old and the rest of the defensive line have taken it upon themselves to set the tone for the rest of the defense in practices and games. During TV timeouts in the preseason opener, the unit ran sprints down the sideline for further conditioning. However, Wilkerson still has individual preseason goals he’d like to accomplish before the Jets travel to Orchard Park in Week 1. 

“Just work on the fundamentals, establish the line of scrimmage and take control of that,” Wilkerson said. “Get after the quarterback, do my job and be a leader. Make sure the defense is all together, all 11 guys locked in and doing what they’re supposed to do.”

>     http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-7/What-Is-DL-Muhammad-Wilkerson’s-New-Role/61f96a18-6cb3-4abf-b9d3-2ceb714ba0f7

• 1 month later...

Archived