If We Finish As I predict, Bowles Will Be Fired

Ken Schroy

5 hours ago, Harlemnite1 said:

Macc didn't hire Bowles, Woody did and forced Bowles on Macc. He's drafted better than any GM the Jets have had since Parcells. He whiffed on Hackenberg for sure but I think Burris, Jenkins, Peake,  Mauldin, Williams and his UDFA finds like Andersen, Marshall, Middleton will help this team. Nobody hits on all pick. I didn't like the Darron Lee pick from Day 1. We needed OL and not small, extremly light, tiny, out of position linebacker. I would stick with Macc and dump Bowles

I have to disagree about Macc's drafting better than any GM since Parcells.  First, Parcells drafts were absolutely terrible.  The one exception was 2000 when he had 4 #1 picks.

I agree with your assessment on Hack and Lee.  Based on your post, we both agree that Macc's been very good drafting 4th round and later, including UDFAs.  That's a great scout, not a GM.

Unfortunately, his first draft he was gifted Leo but then missed (so far) on D. Smith and Mauldin.

Then this past draft, the first with his staff, Lee and Hack have not met expectations and Jenkins is so far average at best.

GMs don't last too long in this league busting on the first two days of the draft unless they find a HOF QB on the third day.

Macc and Bowles are a package.  Give them both 2017.  My feeling is we have not bottomed out yet.  Let's finish the crash and hit the reset button with the top pick and a ton of cap space.  That's how you attract the top executives and coaches to the team.  We can get an experienced HC, experienced GM, and a legitimate QB prospect from Browner, Darnold, and Mahomes.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Pcola said:

I have to disagree about Macc's drafting better than any GM since Parcells.  First, Parcells drafts were absolutely terrible.  The one exception was 2000 when he had 4 #1 picks.

I agree with your assessment on Hack and Lee.  Based on your post, we both agree that Macc's been very good drafting 4th round and later, including UDFAs.  That's a great scout, not a GM.

Unfortunately, his first draft he was gifted Leo but then missed (so far) on D. Smith and Mauldin.

Then this past draft, the first with his staff, Lee and Hack have not met expectations and Jenkins is so far average at best.

GMs don't last too long in this league busting on the first two days of the draft unless they find a HOF QB on the third day.

Macc and Bowles are a package.  Give them both 2017.  My feeling is we have not bottomed out yet.  Let's finish the crash and hit the reset button with the top pick and a ton of cap space.  That's how you attract the top executives and coaches to the team.  We can get an experienced HC, experienced GM, and a legitimate QB prospect from Browner, Darnold, and Mahomes.

A little early to say they haven't met expectations, Hack hasn't even taken a snap yet.  Also don't minimize his later round and undrafted free agent pick ups.  Shell looks very promising and Robbie Anderson could be a starting caliber receiver among others.

On 10/11/2016 at 11:00 AM, Rangers9 said:

Look for six years Rex made plenty of mistakes in terms of clock management, etc. You don't fire a guy for that and it's just our opinion (I agree with you) that he should have gone for it. I've seen plenty of coaches over the years be more conservative. Marty Schottenheimer won a lot of games and was always conservative. We won a playoff game against him when he was with the Chargers because of that. We don't know what's going on behind the scenes and if things are operating ok. The only time you fire a coach this early in their tenure is when they lose the clubhouse and the entire operation is choatic. It doesn't look like that's the case. We have lost 3 in a row against good teams. And remember many of you predicted we were not going to win these games. I don't fire him. 

Then, a prophesy was spoken.....

Bowles has done little or nothing to suggest that bringing him back is the right move. Loss after loss he says there is "no explanation" for why the players continuously blow assignments, miss tackles and play with a listless 'effort' that can only be described as quitting. But, Todd I suggest that there IS an explanation for all of the above and that reason is you. Todd Bowles is a bad head coach, plain and simple. He may be the nicest guy in the world but nice guys finish last and that is where the Jets are right now. Blowout losses in three of the last four weeks have shown that the players will not play hard for this guy, who is lax with the rules and forces no one to play hard or be gone. Fitzpatrick and Wilkerson both had prolonged holdouts in the summer and neither worked hard to get ready for the season and it showed all year. Know why? Because they both know that Bowles would do nothing about it, NOTHING AT ALL.

1 hour ago, Rangers9 said:

I still wouldn't fire him. I give Bowles a third year. One good year followed by a poor year. Hopefully some smart roster moves, too. 

no wait

Same $hit different generation. I'll say it until I die, only losers accept losing. To bring this guy back guarantees a top 3 pick next season and 17 weeks of dull, uninspired, clueless, hideous losses which's sum could equal or top Kotite's 1-15 team.

1 hour ago, ASH1962 said:

no wait

Same $hit different generation. I'll say it until I die, only losers accept losing. To bring this guy back guarantees a top 3 pick next season and 17 weeks of dull, uninspired, clueless, hideous losses which's sum could equal or top Kotite's 1-15 team.

You're probably right

3 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

I still wouldn't fire him. I give Bowles a third year. One good year followed by a poor year. Hopefully some smart roster moves, too. 

One good year followed by an abominable year where he was severely outcoached on a weekly basis and lost his own locker room.  Coaches NEVER come back from that,  He needs to be fired one minute after the season ends.

Just now, ChuckkieB said:

One good year followed by an abominable year where he was severely outcoached on a weekly basis and lost his own locker room.  Coaches NEVER come back from that,  He needs to be fired one minute after the season ends.

I just don't see what it is that he actually does that makes people think he deserves another season.  

Defensive playcalling?  Crap.

Offensive coaching?  Knows even less than Rex and that's been reported

In-Game Adjustments?  Non-existent

Ability to motivate?  Non-existent

Clock-management? Laughable

55 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

Yes, no jets player, coach, or owner can come back from a poor performance.

He's in his second year, there are lessons to be learned, certainly. That's what the third year is for. Bowles did us all a favor, lose!!! Lose, and lose with the notion that anything other than a complete rebuild is necessary. I definitely didn't see the growth or signs of maturing as a head coach, but, to be fair, I'M GLAD this team has sucked as badly as it did. So I have to give him this next season to show SOME SORT of improvement.

What is really striking is that there are ZERO effective leaders on offense or defense. I mean, it's cool that Old Man Harris and his professional and intelligent presence is STILL indispensable to the running of this defense. But he ain't making plays really. Nobody else seems to have the character to lead OR the production. Sad, really. Until the Jets have GOOD players who can really lead, they will be lost.

Anyway, Bowles deserves this next season because that's what a 'fair shot' would be.

45 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

If two terrible years in a row you might have a point. And not everything coaching wise was as bad as you state. Ok we had a lot of games when the team came out flat. In some of those games the team played well in the 2nd half. In other words the CS made half time adjustments. Also most starter injuries in the NFL. Last week they said during the broadcast 11 starters on IR. Most people in NFL respect Bowles. But most importantly you don't want players and other coaches in the league to think we're an hs org who fires people all of the time and won't give a coach a reasonable period of time to coach a team. 

7 hours ago, JetsFanatic said:

How do you know he whiffed on Hackenberg as he hasn't even played yet? The kid is only 21 years old. I'm glad Bowles is starting Fitz against the Bills as I believe we have to give Hackenberg every chance to succeed.  This team is so banged up and bad, lets Fitz mop up and work with Hackenberg in the off season so he may be ready to challenge for the job in 2017. 

Did you not see see Hack under hand throw in preseason? If he was even mediocre he would have seen the field this year. But he hasn't and that is abad sign. He's not Aaron Rodgers waiting on Favre to leave. You draft a QB its for him to play. Do you hold CB back for 2 years? How bout WR's? The days of grooming a QB for 3 years are over. If your philosphy is that then your GM and coach will not be around to see it. Case in point Todd Bowles, he will have a pink slip and Hackenberg will be holding a clipboard his whole career.

Just one more thing. While I blame Bowles for problems on defense. First allowing star players like Wilk and Sheldon to not follow team rules. Lack of a consistent pass rush with adequate talent. And a terrible scheme in the secondary, Todd's specialty. Dbs not just getting beat but being nowhere near the play. The dysfunction on offense to me was more because of the FO and probably Woody. It started after the team was optimistic after a very good year in 2015 and hopes for 2016. They decided to bring back Fitz which to me was the right move. But instead of just signing him and giving the team stability they for some reason stupidly got into a protracted holdout with Ryan that went into late July.  All the momentum we had from 2015 seemed to fizzle esp with woes on defense. The org and owner did not give Bowles and the team their best chance to win. 

4 hours ago, Pcola said:

Ok let's go a little recent Idzik. He had 20 picks in 2 years how many are still on the team starting? Macc has UDFA playing significant minutes for the Jets. Idzik drafter Milliner and where is he? How bout Geno? Yeah he's gone as soon as the season is over. Pryor played awful this year and will probably be gone. I would give Macc another 2 years, Bowles I would showthe door. One you don't want to be tied to Bowles as he is not a good head coach and Macc probably has a better idea of the type of coach that is needed. If you get rid of both no coach or GM will take this job (not ne worth anything). That is how we got Idzik. All the top GM candidates turned the Jets down.

42 minutes ago, Harlemnite1 said:

Did you not see see Hack under hand throw in preseason? If he was even mediocre he would have seen the field this year. But he hasn't and that is abad sign. He's not Aaron Rodgers waiting on Favre to leave. You draft a QB its for him to play. Do you hold CB back for 2 years? How bout WR's? The days of grooming a QB for 3 years are over. If your philosphy is that then your GM and coach will not be around to see it. Case in point Todd Bowles, he will have a pink slip and Hackenberg will be holding a clipboard his whole career.

He is a 21 year old rookie.  While I do not know how he will turn out, I certainly am not writing him off.  Mac obviously feels he can be our QB as he drafted him in the 2nd round. Hopefully they will do for him what the previous regime did not do for Sanchez, give him every chance to succeed.  Hopefully drafting o- lineman or offensive playmaker in the early rounds.

2 hours ago, ChuckkieB said:

Name one coach that didn't

Desperate franchises press the panic button. There is no reason for us to be desperate

1 hour ago, Harlemnite1 said:

Ok let's go a little recent Idzik. He had 20 picks in 2 years how many are still on the team starting? Macc has UDFA playing significant minutes for the Jets. Idzik drafter Milliner and where is he? How bout Geno? Yeah he's gone as soon as the season is over. Pryor played awful this year and will probably be gone. I would give Macc another 2 years, Bowles I would showthe door. One you don't want to be tied to Bowles as he is not a good head coach and Macc probably has a better idea of the type of coach that is needed. If you get rid of both no coach or GM will take this job (not ne worth anything). That is how we got Idzik. All the top GM candidates turned the Jets down.

The problem is that by firing Bowles, who is going to want this job?  Very impatient owner, no QB and no apparent options for next year,  and a GM that has already earned the hot seat he is on.  I get that there are only 32 of these jobs but if you are a legitimate candidate you don't jump at the first chance you get if its an un winnable situation.  This job will be a lot more attractive if we have the number 1 pick and a ton of cash next year.  

1 minute ago, Pcola said:

The problem is that by firing Bowles, who is going to want this job?  Very impatient owner, no QB and no apparent options for next year,  and a GM that has already earned the hot seat he is on.  I get that there are only 32 of these jobs but if you are a legitimate candidate you don't jump at the first chance you get if its an un winnable situation.  This job will be a lot more attractive if we have the number 1 pick and a ton of cash next year.  

That's it.

On 1/1/2017 at 0:13 AM, Pcola said:

Thousands would want this job. Its the job of a lifetime and if you win you can own New York. Just look at Joe Namath. He can get a free meal from one end of New York to the other.  That is the lure. Plenty of coach both college and professional would jump on it. The trick is getting the right one.

On 10/11/2016 at 10:33 AM, Ken Shroy said:

Jets @ Cards  Loss

Jets vs Ravens  Loss 

Jets @ Browns  Win  If the Browns don't have a QB, we win, if they do.....

Jets @ Fins  Loss

Jets vs Rams  Win  Close one but we win, maybe

Jets vs Pats  Loss

Jets vs Colts Loss

Jets @ 49ers  Loss

Jets vs Fins  Loss  Close game but we lose

Jets @ Pats  Loss

Jets vs Bills  Loss    Idiot Rex could be trying for a Wildcard spot and we will lay down like dogs regardless

So I am predicting 3-13. I don't think Bowles will survive this. Get him out and hire an EXPERIENCED OFFENSIVE MINDED COACH.

wrong .

7 hours ago, Harlemnite1 said:

Thousands would want this job. Its the job of a lifetime and if you win you can own New York. Just look at Joe Namath. He can get a free meal from one end of New York to the other.  That is the lure. Plenty of coach both college and professional would jump on it. The trick is getting the right one.

Absolutely, thousands of "coaches" would want the job.  There is probably less than 10 that could come here and be a long term success.  Of this ten, the owner wouldn't be patient enough with more than half of them.  So the remaining five or so HCs that are big enough to force Woody's patience and have the ability, professionalism, and experience to turn this franchise around don't want to risk their reputation and careers coming here when they could go to another situation, where they can get paid just as much and a better roster, better ownership, and a fan base that won't buy a billboard the first time things don't go right.

Just now, Scott Dierking said:

This means that you choose to be a fan of a bunch of morons. Take that for what it is worth

Worth nothing fans don't control the operations that result in failure year after year my comments are strictly about management and coaching. 

7 hours ago, Pcola said:

Absolutely, thousands of "coaches" would want the job.  There is probably less than 10 that could come here and be a long term success.  Of this ten, the owner wouldn't be patient enough with more than half of them.  So the remaining five or so HCs that are big enough to force Woody's patience and have the ability, professionalism, and experience to turn this franchise around don't want to risk their reputation and careers coming here when they could go to another situation, where they can get paid just as much and a better roster, better ownership, and a fan base that won't buy a billboard the first time things don't go right.

They only did that for the GM. Never ran a coach out of town. The better roster is coming with Macc in charge. The better coaching isn't until Bowles leaves.

31 minutes ago, Harlemnite1 said:

They only did that for the GM. Never ran a coach out of town. The better roster is coming with Macc in charge. The better coaching isn't until Bowles leaves.

You may be overrating Macc a bit.  Yes, he and his staff uncovered a couple of gems in Peake, J. Marshall, and Anderson.  They will solidify the back end depth at WR. 

But it looks like he completely missed on D. Smith and Mauldin.  Lee and Jenkins hopefully will improve but Hack is a disaster.

On our big free agent splurge two years ago: Revis and Gilchrist are likely gone and Skrine will only stay because most of his salary next season is guaranteed.  On his high risk/high reward signings have all been failures (Clady and Henderson).

I haven't given up but between Macc and his previous bosses in Houston, neither knows sh*t about drafting and developing a QB.  And neither has shown any competency as to signing a free agent QB either.

7 minutes ago, Pcola said:

Hack is a disaster.

On our big free agent splurge two years ago: Revis and Gilchrist are likely gone and Skrine will only stay because most of his salary next season is guaranteed.  On his high risk/high reward signings have all been failures (Clady and Henderson).

LOL - guy hasn't taken a snap and he is a disaster; love it. Mac said he was going red-shirt him; he did; but yeah - a disaster

As far as his splurge - Yep didn't work out; they will be let go thanks to some smart contracts; he had to spend money and fill some holes - he did and he did.

Again, he will need to splurge again as we still have holes to fill that won't all be filled by another draft.

When you have holes and no depth it takes a while to build through the draft; you supplement with FAs so you can pick BPA and not have to reach. Hopefully, in 2 years, when we purge the FAs, hopefully we won't need to sign as many.

9 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

LOL - guy hasn't taken a snap and he is a disaster; love it. Mac said he was going red-shirt him; he did; but yeah - a disaster

As far as his splurge - Yep didn't work out; they will be let go thanks to some smart contracts; he had to spend money and fill some holes - he did and he did.

Again, he will need to splurge again as we still have holes to fill that won't all be filled by another draft.

When you have holes and no depth it takes a while to build through the draft; you supplement with FAs so you can pick BPA and not have to reach. Hopefully, in 2 years, when we purge the FAs, hopefully we won't need to sign as many.

LOL.  Yea the 51st pick in the draft was only active one game and that was due to catastrophic injuries to two other QBs.  Let's just admit, when your team sucks at the position and has no future what so ever at the position, you cannot afford to use a premium draft pick on a guy that is two years away from MAYBE being a back up.  This is the type of risk you take when you have a franchise QB already winning games for you.

Lets add that a rookie is in line to take his team to the SB.  So the joke is really on all the Jets fans that are incredibly impatient with the HC but patient enough to wait four years to call a bust a bust.

Archived