Jets' Mo Wilkerson mired in longest sack slump in four years, but why?

Gas2No99

12 hours ago, MaxAF said:

Not sure if the ran a 4-3 in week 1 with Richardson suspended. But whatever the scheme was in that game should be the staple. It worked and worked well, why would Bowles move from that success. Since Richardson came back the pressure was gone and the sacks disappeared.. I'm not blaming Richardson but you go with what works until it doesn't work anymore. That's the way we played and that's the way I coached on a high school level. I think a professional coach would have a little more on me. We have this speedy LBer. Why doesn't he blitz. Mauldin had some success last year. I'm miffed at this point.

McClendon rocked vs. the Bengals subbing for Richardson. Since then, Bowles has Sheldumb out of position again.  

Sheldon at OLB again, short passing and playing to much 4-3 without actually having a 4-3 End on the Roster. 300 pound D-tackles don't bend the edge very well. Why pound the rock up the middle when you can throw 70 yard bombs for TD's every game.

I blame Bowles and Kacy Rogers.

Think I'd sooner have Roy Rogers, or Casey Kasem..

That's not what happened in Pittsburgh. Ben was dropping back 5-7 steps and in shotgun all day. No pressure.

I would agree with this...which is why this week was somewhat bothersome. Granted, Ben is a different animal back there, almost as large as the guys rushing him...but the lack of anyone getting even close to him? Inexcusable.

17 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

When the team is constructed from the DL back, with 3 first rounders on the DL... it is the DL that is supposed to make the secondary look good, not the other way around. I agree that they are complementary groups, but disagree with the idea that the secondary is where it begins... given how we're built.

With Rex, is was built from the secondary forward, which helped the DL. 

Yeah, but the D-line is doing its job when it comes to pushing the pocket, collapsing it, and stopping the run. The one thing they are missing is actually generating sacks out of it. And from what i have seen, its evident that opposing QBs are successfully getting rid off the ball quickly on short underneath routes and actually gaining big chunks of yards at times. They seem to also be able to simply bomb the ball deep- successfully. Normally, it takes time to get the ball deep to your receiver. But on a 'go' route you can simply float one up deep.

So while I agree with you that the investment has been made on the D-line (and there is nothing wrong with that-IMO) and they are supposed to make the secondary look good, its really not that simple in this case. The D-line HAS looked good, except for the sacks.   

29 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Yeah, but the D-line is doing its job when it comes to pushing the pocket, collapsing it, and stopping the run. The one thing they are missing is actually generating sacks out of it. And from what i have seen, its evident that opposing QBs are successfully getting rid off the ball quickly on short underneath routes and actually gaining big chunks of yards at times. They seem to also be able to simply bomb the ball deep- successfully. Normally, it takes time to get the ball deep to your receiver. But on a 'go' route you can simply float one up deep.

So while I agree with you that the investment has been made on the D-line (and there is nothing wrong with that-IMO) and they are supposed to make the secondary look good, its really not that simple in this case. The D-line HAS looked good, except for the sacks.   

This is another way of saying, unfortunately, that this D is overall poorly constructed if its strength can be defeated so easily.

24 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Ben had waaaaaaaay too much time on sunday.  

25 minutes ago, PepPep said:

I'm not clamoring for sacks. 

I disagree with the notion that they are doing the bold consistently. Yeah, they can stuff the run, but QBs are getting 3-5 seconds to scan the field. Especially on 3rd and long. QBs are standing back there like statues, and even a great secondary couldn't cover for this long. There is no pass rush, unless there are blitzes, and even then they don't get to the QB soon enough.

17 hours ago, bitonti said:

let's not mince words here Mo, Sheldon and Leonard are all DT's. We can call them 3-4 DE or whatever else but we've seen they aren't effective pass rushing in the 9 gap outside edge, it's just too far for a 300-pound man to run. 

And this is why I felt that giving Wilk JJ Watt money wasn't the right move. You don't pay a guy almost 90 million and he isn't a game changing talent. 

15 hours ago, greenwave81 said:

Interesting fact:  Even if paid in $100 bills, $22 million would weigh 464 lbs.

That's some serious weight to be carrying around.

And it's a shame that our top 3 signings are not working out. 

Revis, Fitz, Wilk. 

I can understand the Revis signing, but the Fitz and Wilk signing in relation to the amount was just ridiculous.

20 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

And it's a shame that our top 3 signings are not working out. 

Revis, Fitz, Wilk. 

I can understand the Revis signing, but the Fitz and Wilk signing in relation to the amount was just ridiculous.

I actually think if Revis moves to Free Safety it would be a huge help to our defense.  We haven't had a safety who could cover or ballhawk since Victor Green

Fitz is gone after this year

Mo we are stuck with

Archived