Todd Bowles Will Trick Jets Fans and Be Back in 2017

Jack Straw

Todd Bowles’ coaching acumen has come under fire in the first five weeks of the season, and rightly so. He’s shown no ability to out-scheme opposing head coaches and no ability to make halftime adjustments, with his team consistently folding like cheap lawn chairs in the second half of games.

Despite his quarterback throwing interceptions at a historic rate, he has scoffed at any suggestion that he’d be willing to sit him. And the question is, why? Why, when he has four quarterbacks on his roster, is he so married to a journeyman quarterback who has performed so terribly?

Because despite the fact that Todd Bowles has shown to be clueless on Sundays, he knows what’s on his schedule after the Jets fly to Arizona for their game against the Cardinals. The Jets schedule after next week features games against the Dolphins (x2), Bills, Browns, Rams, Colts, 49ers, and Ravens.

Finding seven wins in that group isn’t hard to imagine, which would put their season total at 8. Bowles knows that if he can muster up 7 or 8 wins, then he can control the narrative in the media at season’s end.

“It’s not how you start, it’s how you finish.”

“Despite a tough start, our team showed resiliency, and that’s the mark of a good team.”

“Our arrow is pointing up, and we’re going to regroup and be ready to go in 2017.”

You get the idea. He’s simply buying himself time.

He knows that Ryan Fitzpatrick’s entire career has been earned on the back of the weak. Fitzpatrick has made his money by accumulating passing yards, touchdowns, and wins against the bottom-feeders of the NFL. His 0-25 record when facing teams with winning records on the road proves this point beyond a reasonable doubt. Bowles knows this stat. Fitzpatrick knows this stat. They’ve both lived it, together. But the both of them also know that Fitzpatrick isn’t bad enough to lose against the worst of the worst in this league.

Bowles knows that as long as Fitzpatrick can continue to do what he’s always done against the weakest teams in the NFL, that he’ll live to see another day, and another season. And that’s why he refuses to bench his starting quarterback after a brutal start.

Going 7-9 or 8-8 will be enough to convince enough Jets fans (and therefore Woody Johnson) that Todd Bowles is the right man to lead the Jets going forward. But I will not be duped. Not again. Not after years of Herm, Mangini, and Rex. I’ve seen enough to know that you can fool some of us, sir, but you will not fool me.

Fire Todd Bowles.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am not defending Bowles and I agree with what you said but who the hell is going to come into this sh*t show and do any better? Unless we get Gruden to get off his ass or some other high flying past time coach I don't see anyone turning this trainwreck around any time soon.

Just now, jdeacon said:

I am not defending Bowles and I agree with what you said but who the hell is going to come into this sh*t show and do any better? Unless we get Gruden to get off his ass or some other high flying past time coach I don't see anyone turning this trainwreck around any time soon.

Woody Johnson needs to clean house let the new GM choose the head coach send a message Woody get rid of them all cut Fitzpatrick while your at it as well. 

Jets fans who want a winner will be dancing in the streets. 

Just now, RoadFan said:

"Finding seven wins in that group isn't hard to imagine?"  Are you watching the same team I am? The Jets will be favored in 2, maybe 3 of those games.  This team reeks of  5-11.

The way they are playing and coached I find it hard to believe they win another game!

2 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Woody Johnson needs to clean house let the new GM choose the head coach send a message Woody get rid of them all cut Fitzpatrick while your at it as well. 

God I hope you are right but I have been a jets fan for a long time, assuming you have been as well we both know this will never happen...

1 minute ago, jdeacon said:

God I hope you are right but I have been a jets fan for a long time, assuming you have been as well we both know this will never happen...

Hell no we will lock up Bowles for 5 more years and sign Fitzpatrick to a longterm deal its how we roll. 

Everybody loved him and Mac last year. After a 1-4 start now he's the worst coach in football and needs to be fired. Let's see how the season plays out fellas.

Bowles will be here for AT LEAST next season after this one. He'd have to lose out to get fired.. and the Jets could finish right around .500. The schedule softens up considerably after the next 2 weeks and although everybody wants to kill the Jets like they're a 1-15 team.... they're not. They're a middle of the road team, much like last year. Only the schedule is tougher.

The team is talented. We do not have a quarterback. That's the big one.

20 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

"Finding seven wins in that group isn't hard to imagine?"  Are you watching the same team I am? The Jets will be favored in 2, maybe 3 of those games.  This team reeks of  5-11.

LOL. Where are these wins? Other teams can't wait to play us.

29 minutes ago, Jack Straw said:

Todd Bowles’ coaching acumen has come under fire in the first five weeks of the season, and rightly so. He’s shown no ability to out-scheme opposing head coaches and no ability to make halftime adjustments, with his team consistently folding like cheap lawn chairs in the second half of games.

Despite his quarterback throwing interceptions at a historic rate, he has scoffed at any suggestion that he’d be willing to sit him. And the question is, why? Why, when he has four quarterbacks on his roster, is he so married to a journeyman quarterback who has performed so terribly?

Because despite the fact that Todd Bowles has shown to be clueless on Sundays, he knows what’s on his schedule after the Jets fly to Arizona for their game against the Cardinals. The Jets schedule after next week features games against the Dolphins (x2), Bills, Browns, Rams, Colts, 49ers, and Ravens.

Finding seven wins in that group isn’t hard to imagine, which would put their season total at 8. Bowles knows that if he can muster up 7 or 8 wins, then he can control the narrative in the media at season’s end.

“It’s not how you start, it’s how you finish.”

“Despite a tough start, our team showed resiliency, and that’s the mark of a good team.”

“Our arrow is pointing up, and we’re going to regroup and be ready to go in 2017.”

You get the idea. He’s simply buying himself time.

He knows that Ryan Fitzpatrick’s entire career has been earned on the back of the weak. Fitzpatrick has made his money by accumulating passing yards, touchdowns, and wins against the bottom-feeders of the NFL. His 0-25 record when facing teams with winning records on the road proves this point beyond a reasonable doubt. Bowles knows this stat. Fitzpatrick knows this stat. They’ve both lived it, together. But the both of them also know that Fitzpatrick isn’t bad enough to lose against the worst of the worst in this league.

Bowles knows that as long as Fitzpatrick can continue to do what he’s always done against the weakest teams in the NFL, that he’ll live to see another day, and another season. And that’s why he refuses to bench his starting quarterback after a brutal start.

Going 7-9 or 8-8 will be enough to convince enough Jets fans (and therefore Woody Johnson) that Todd Bowles is the right man to lead the Jets going forward. But I will not be duped. Not again. Not after years of Herm, Mangini, and Rex. I’ve seen enough to know that you can fool some of us, sir, but you will not fool me.

Fire Todd Bowles.

What if the JETS are included in the worst of the worst? Just saying.

Bowles was never getting fired in the first place so this long waste of bandwidth is moot.

You don't fire coaches every 2 f*cking years.  That's how you end up like the Browns, Titans, Jaguars, Rams, Lions, etc.  

I'll present you the same question I presented someone else yesterday that they couldn't answer.  Who do YOU want that you think will be a significant improvement OP.  No Gruden, Coughlin, Conger since they're not coming out of retirement, especially not for an organization who, in this hypothetical solution, would have fired a young coach after 2 years.

Gimme names.  Don't b*tch just to b*tch.  Back your complaints up with a solution. 

8 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

Everybody loved him and Mac last year.

Not true.  Macc maybe, but not Bowles.  There were some doubting his ability due in large part to rolling with Fitz all season.

We figured the wins vs crap teams were misleading.

31 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

We need to find a way to get rid of Woody also .

7 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Not true.  Macc maybe, but not Bowles.  There were some doubting his ability due in large part to rolling with Fitz all season.

I hate Fitzpatrick, but sticking with him last year was the right move.  There were no complaints from anyone knowledgeable about rolling with a guy who was having the best season of a Jets QB ever.

This year it's different, but I've already stated a million times why I believe he hasn't changed the QB yet.

1 minute ago, Mogglez said:

I hate Fitzpatrick, but sticking with him last year was the right move.  There were no complaints from anyone knowledgeable about rolling with a guy who was having the best season of a Jets QB ever.

Value your opinion, but imo, you're wrong.

3 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

And how are the Jets different from those teams?

Well a Super Bowl ring compared to most of those teams for one.  Winning seasons in the last decade too.

Your gonna need bigger bait to catch this fish TX ???.

14 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Bowles was never getting fired in the first place so this long waste of bandwidth is moot.

You don't fire coaches every 2 f*cking years.  That's how you end up like the Browns, Titans, Jaguars, Rams, Lions, etc.  

I'll present you the same question I presented someone else yesterday that they couldn't answer.  Who do YOU want that you think will be a significant improvement OP.  No Gruden, Coughlin, Conger since they're not coming out of retirement, especially not for an organization who, in this hypothetical solution, would have fired a young coach after 2 years.

Gimme names.  Don't b*tch just to b*tch.  Back your complaints up with a solution. 

Tom Coughlin interviewed for the Eagles head coaching job six months ago, so don't tell me for a second that he wouldn't come out of retirement for a position with the Jets. With that said, I'm no fan of Coughlin as HC, but I wouldn't hesitate for a second to give him a position as President or something of the like. This team needs leadership from the top down and it hasn't had that since Parcells abandoned the franchise.

At this point, I'd offer Jim Harbaugh whatever he wants. I'd give him a freaking ownership stake if that's what he wanted. Same with Gruden and Cowher. I have zero faith that we'd be able to attract top talent like that, but from the coordinator side, I'd try to look into Todd Haley, Jim Schwartz, Josh Mcdaniels, etc. None of these guys are A-list, but all more competent than Bowles.

3 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Value your opinion, but imo, you're wrong.

Fair enough.  Always fine with agreeing to disagree.  I think you know me enough to know how much I wanted to see Fitz benched last year at times.  Just got to a point where I accepted that it wasn't happening and couldn't complain much because they were winning and he was on fire.  My personal opinion may have differed from the general consensus, but I understand why they stood with Fitzpatrick and can't find much fault with it....for last year at least.

All that being said, If I don't see any Petty this year and we're still a trainwreck by seasons end, I may start going off on people.

54 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

+1 I was  concerned after the week 17 game last year with lack of adjustments and was told to relax, it was just a product of his being a rookie coach 

18 minutes ago, Jack Straw said:

Tom Coughlin interviewed for the Eagles head coaching job six months ago, so don't tell me for a second that he wouldn't come out of retirement for a position with the Jets. With that said, I'm no fan of Coughlin as HC, but I wouldn't hesitate for a second to give him a position as President or something of the like. This team needs leadership from the top down and it hasn't had that since Parcells abandoned the franchise.

At this point, I'd offer Jim Harbaugh whatever he wants. I'd give him a freaking ownership stake if that's what he wanted. Same with Gruden and Cowher. I have zero faith that we'd be able to attract top talent like that, but from the coordinator side, I'd try to look into Todd Haley, Jim Schwartz, Josh Mcdaniels, etc. None of these guys are A-list, but all more competent than Bowles.

Haley - Disaster in KC whose players hated him.

Jim Schwartz - Utter trainwreck in Detroit who had some of the most undisciplined and underperforming teams in the last decade with incredible talent on the D-Line, WR, and QB.  A poor man's Wade Phillips.

McDaniels - Another young arrogant prick hated by his players who decided Tim Tebow was an excellent choice in the first round and got rid of the face of Denver for Kyle Orton.  Siiiiiick.

Coughlin said himself that he was never serious about taking the Philly job.  Also, he's done absolute d*ck to warrant a "President" position.  Jim Harbaugh wouldn't leave Michigan if he got his d*ck sucked 24/7 by the flight crew so forget that.  Cowher and Gruden are comfy.

You know what?  At least you gave me names.  They may suck big slimey dog turds, but at least they're names.  NONE of those guys are better than Bowles. Also, your point of none of them be A-List is EXACTLY what is wrong with you people.  You don't move on from something unknown for PROVEN mediocrity.

11 minutes ago, Jack Straw said:

Todd Haley couldn't run away fast enough the last time he was approached about joining the Jets . Maybe it was as coordinator though. Perhaps a HC offer might be different 

23 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

This year it's different, but I've already stated a million times why I believe he hasn't changed the QB yet.

+1

It's Fitz until we are mathematically eliminated (hopefully not for a while). Then it's Petty.

3 minutes ago, Xtina said:

Todd Haley couldn't run away fast enough the last time he was approached about joining the Jets . Maybe it was as coordinator though. Perhaps a HC offer might be different 

Was OC. We hired MM over him. I don't even think we offered him anything.

53 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Was OC. We hired MM over him. I don't even think we offered him anything.

No, we hired Tony Sparano over him. We still interviewed Haley after hiring Sparano to see if he'd be willing to be Co-OC with Sparano.

2 hours ago, RoadFan said:

You'd think so. However, we know the Jets will find a couple of miracle wins to get to 7 or 8 wins and destroy draft position and hope

Archived