Looking ahead with some optimism!

hokiejetfan92

So the Jets do suck right now, and things are terrible. But the next five games are against the Cardinals, Ravens, Browns, Dolphins and then Rams.

The cardinals have been playing lackadaisical all year so maybe beating them could be a turning point. Then we play the Ravens who have been terrible at offense all year and now they have our flame out Marty calling the plays. The Browns are the Browns, Tannehill is actually playing worse than Fitz, and the Rams might have Goff in or be in complete rebuilding mode at that point.

Just saying the Jets could go 4-1 or 5-0 over the next five games and that could drastically change the season. Woooooo lets do it boys! This is what Brandon Marshall was talking about. 1-4 is where we need to be right now.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While I will admit I was being a little facetious in the first post, I think the season may not be entirely over yet. The major storyline from our 4 losses to former playoff teams is we can't hang with the big boys, but if we are truly a middle of the pack team then we should have a decent chance to win at least 4 of the next 5. I am not saying they will, but the schedule gives the Jets a little bit of hope.

They really need to beat the Cards this week so they have the ability to drop one of the four games after ARZ and still be alive. And they should be favorites/pick em for the four games after Zona.

It does suck rooting for a potential wild card team, but this is what we signed up for when we signed a FA 33 year old journeyman QB to a 1 year deal on what was supposed to be a solid roster otherwise. I am frustrated and angry about how poor this team has looked, but I don't think it is time to completely give up on the season.

8 hours ago, SAR I said:

So long as the Jets locker room doesn't implode and Bowles doesn't make a knee-jerk quarterback move at 1-6, we'll be 7-7 going into Christmas Eve.

SAR I

And that is a good thing?  Not IMHO.  I want a shot at the post season or a shot at developing one of our untried QB.  7-7 with Sixpatrick under center is the worst case scenario.

It doesn't give me pleasure to make the following statements.

It's in our best interest to lose the rest of our games (or almost all of them). Unless Petty takes over and does great...then the rest of this post is moot.

I agree with the premise that this team has talent. I also agree that the team could win about 5-6 more games since we have some games against bad competition later in the year.

More importantly, however, this teams needs a "rebirth."

Bowles needs either to be let go, or to learn a ton about coaching by the end of this year. The list of his mistakes is too long to write on my phone. But we all know.

Personality-wise, Fitz is one of my favorite players in this league. He's borderline short for the position. His arm is weak. But he is passionate when he plays. And he has huge balls. But he's not performing well enough to win a championship (putting it lightly).

Many players are sluggish out there. The D-line has sucked. Do our safeties ever give help down the field? Did forte get worn out by those first two games? Can he sprint? 

Its gross watching this team. Truly.

We need new young players. And we need one at QB.

As of now there are 3-4 guys I have seen on mocks who are supposedly first round talents.

Watson, Kizer, Kaaya, Kelly.

I can't tell you who is the guy, but I am rooting for one of them to be our next qb.

As long as Fitz is playing, I'm rooting for competitive losses.

6% of teams make the playoffs starting 1-4.

Interestingly enough, 2 teams from the AFC did it last year. Houston started 1-4 and KC started 1-5.

It's not out of the realm of possibility to salvage the season.  The issues are the offense sucks, the defense sucks, the head coach is an abomination and I have a bad feeling this team has checked out on this season and given up on Todd Bowles. 

57 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Again, for us to have a legitimate shot at a wildcard spot, we need to go 9-2 from here on out.  Good luck.  We're done.

Yup, I agree. I mean, you never know. But you really gotta think the Jets need to be 10-6 to sneak into the playoffs. With 4 losses already, they can only really afford 2 more- and even though the schedule eases up considerably, the Jets still have to play the Pats twice. Now, it's possible the Jets can get in at 9-7. It's wide open right now simply b/c its so early. 

But I DO believe it is crucial for the Jets to go on a run going into the bye. They can beat the Cardinals- definitely. Finally they are facing a team without a legit starting QB. After that they have Ravens, Browns, Dolphins, Rams. They can win ALL of those games, and for a shot at the playoffs its critical that they do. They will then have some confidence going into the bye so they can heal up and prepare for the Pats game AT HOME. If they are somehow able to beat the Pats at home after a bye (not completely unheard of considering they always play them tough), they will be able to lose the second game to the Pats (away), and another game (possibly the Bills in week 17? and still get in. Or maybe they lose both to the Pats and beat the Bills, Colts, Niners, Dolphins? I mean, there's a number of ways things could turn out allowing the Jet to get in the playoffs. But they really have to start winning games NOW, and stringing wins together...and it starts with the Cards.     

One game at a time. The season is slipping away fast but the Jets need to win the next 3 going into the bye week. 

Monday night is the toughest game, Arizona is tough and desperate. Baltimore is an OK football team that the Jets could definitely handle and the Browns are the Browns.

4-4 is possible but it starts this week.

1 minute ago, PepPep said:

Yup, I agree. I mean, you never know. But you really gotta think the Jets need to be 10-6 to sneak into the playoffs. With 4 losses already, they can only really afford 2 more- and even though the schedule eases up considerably, the Jets still have to play the Pats twice. Now, it's possible the Jets can get in at 9-7. It's wide open right now simply b/c its so early. 

But I DO believe it is crucial for the Jets to go on a run going into the bye. They can beat the Cardinals- definitely. Finally they are facing a team without a legit starting QB. After that they have Ravens, Browns, Dolphins, Rams. They can win ALL of those games, and for a shot at the playoffs its critical that they do. They will then have some confidence going into the bye so they can heal up and prepare for the Pats game AT HOME. If they are somehow able to beat the Pats at home after a bye (not completely unheard of considering they always play them tough), they will be able to lose the second game to the Pats (away), and another game (possibly the Bills in week 17? and still get in. Or maybe they lose both to the Pats and beat the Bills, Colts, Niners, Dolphins? I mean, there's a number of ways things could turn out allowing the Jet to get in the playoffs. But they really have to start winning games NOW, and stringing wins together...and it starts with the Cards.     

I applaude your optimism.  I just don't see us winning any more than four or five games.

I agree! As stated earlier though they NEED to beat the Cards, I can see a win at home against the Ravens and man the Browns?? If we cant beat them we have issues. Those wins alone put as at 4-4 midway. Lets face it we play in the Division with one of the most legendary teams of all time. We were always fighting for a wildcard and Im just fine with that. This fan base needs to ENCOURAGE the team until we are technically eliminated, then you can go on your bitch sessions.

I don't think we're going to crash and burn but obviously we're not going to the playoffs this year. I think in terms of the players it will reach a point where they are just fed up with inferior play and will amp it up and play a good game. It could even be Monday night. Best case scenario for the Jets in 2016 is an 8-8. As for next year they will have to get rid of the guys who didn't perform and keep the guys who did. So there will be job openings in 2017 but not the head coach.  The Jets have spent a lot of money on the secondary and that's been the worst part of the team. We might also be in the market for a new DC .

The problem with being too cynical at this point of the season about the Jets' chances is we simply do not know how well this roster could/would do down the stretch and, if they made it, in the playoffs.  I would be equally skeptical as some here if I thought the talent level was, and will remain, as low as the results so far might be indicating.  But I am not convinced the problems are essentially irreparable. 

After all teams can and do turn it around over the course of the season, or conversely turn to crap after a good start.  For the former look at the Chiefs last year.  It happens.

It's just too early to completely throw in the towel.

The problem is that unless the team gets white hot the rest of the season all wins do is take us further away from good draft position. I do not support intentionally tanking the season but I also recognize all wins are hollow if we don't have a meaningful shot at the playoffs. It's hard to imagine this team--or any team--can get such a hot hand that a real shot at the playoffs exist. We would be competing for a spot with at least CIN and KC who are both teams that beat us so we lose out on the head to head. We would have to have a better record than at least one of those teams plus every other team in the wildcard hunt (which will likely be at least OAK, BUF, IND/HOU).

How can the Jets turn it around?

Defensive schemes in passing situations.  It's not a silver bullet, but I think one thing to help is to use more press coverage to get teams out of this quick timing passes short.  This will require better play from the safeties, to be sure, but they just might have it in them.  I also wish there was a simple answer to having to play M Williams too much.  Revis's return will help, but maybe this Roberts kid can move above Williams on the depth chart.

For the linebackers, the Jets are stuck with their current roster, but I would hope there's some way to not rely on Harris defending the pass.

DL? sigh.  Mabye someone else has an idea.

OL.  Nothing is going to help here unless Mangold returns healthy.  But if he does then they should be okay.  Here's hoping Carpenter is getting better from that early injury and returns to last season's form.

RB.  Others have noted the Jets need to employ sets more often including both Forte and Powell.

TE.  use the new guy more, it's as simple as that.  Probably the best thing to come out of the Steelers game was seeing A S-J catching passes, even if it was just a couple.  Until Decker is back, this is an obvious measure to take.

I think the D is fixable if they can rely less on M Wiliams, but on O nothing is going to happen good unless the Jets can get more run production.  They simply can't expect to win with Fitz throwing it too often.

10 hours ago, SAR I said:

So long as the Jets locker room doesn't implode and Bowles doesn't make a knee-jerk quarterback move at 1-6, we'll be 7-7 going into Christmas Eve.

SAR I

They need to lock Fitz up long term so they can build on this next year. Maybe they can extend Revis and Harris to free up some cash now.

Yea for the playoffs we need to go 9-2 and we have basically two more or less guaranteed losses to the Pats who are a significantly better more talented football team who are capable of putting 35+ on us.  Maybe we get lucky late in the season if they've already locked up home field.

In other words, we no longer have the luxury of losing to inferior and mid level teams from this point on.  It's just brutal.

im worried about the last Buffalo game, the Cards and the Ravens in particular.

3 hours ago, LIJetsFan said:

And that is a good thing?  Not IMHO.  I want a shot at the post season or a shot at developing one of our untried QB.  7-7 with Sixpatrick under center is the worst case scenario.

This season was never going to be a good thing so I don't know what you're hung up about.  There was nothing to indicate we were going to be a playoff team this year and if the first 5 games haven't taught you that I really don't know what to say.

7-7 with 2 to play against the Patriots and Bills with the Jets rebounding from a tough start and playing spoiler is all your season is about right now.  If that doesn't get you excited, the Rangers face off in their season opener tomorrow.

SAR I

11 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

Great, getting excited to face teams that are either underachieving or no good.

Sorry, but this is the life of a rebuilding team without a franchise quarterback.

Someone should start a thread called "Who The Hell Gave You The Impression That This Was Some 12 Win Team?"

SAR I

1 hour ago, Maxman said:

They need to lock Fitz up long term so they can build on this next year. Maybe they can extend Revis and Harris to free up some cash now.

You kid, but if  Bryce Petty can't be validated this year and we aren't in a position to draft or trade for a bonafide franchise prospect/quarterback, Ryan Fitzpatrick might not be a bad alternative for 2017.

SAR I

1 hour ago, Maxman said:

The Mets also need to sign Bobby Bonilla to an extension. 

5 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Sorry, but this is the life of a rebuilding team without a franchise quarterback.

Someone should start a thread called "Who The Hell Gave You The Impression That This Was Some 12 Win Team?"

SAR I

Do you really think things would be that much  different we if we had Aaron Rodgers and the same players. The only game we won Fitz had to have an almost perfect game and still had to bring us from behind several times. And they were within a TD at the end. 

3 minutes ago, SAR I said:

You kid, but if  Bryce Petty can't be validated this year and we aren't in a position to draft or trade for a bonafide franchise prospect/quarterback, Ryan Fitzpatrick might not be a bad alternative for 2017.

SAR I

Ok, now you're just f*cking with us.

2 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

You know it and I know it. If Fitzpatrick is anywhere near this team next year, the Jets won't be able to give away tickets.

Archived