Francesa

UnitedWhofans

3 hours ago, Big Blocker said:

I often agree with you, but not this time.  The secondary is playing worse and the DL is not getting it done. 

To take an example of the most recent game, yeah I agree that Pitt is one of the tougher teams in the league.  But the OL is not particularly strong for them, what with Wilk playing opposite a 3rd stringer. I can't think of a single game last year where the DL was so ineffective, and this year all expectations were they would be better what with Williams coming on, a year older and all.

I also don't recall a TD like the one M Williams gave up in that same game in any of the losses last year.

Those to me are not cherry picked situations.  They are emblematic of the problems the D is having.  It's not all on quality of the opponent.

While I respect that we disagree on this topic, would you not say that a strong-armed accurate quarterback and a stalwart offensive line are the two hallmarks of an elite team?

I believe that our early season struggles are due to the fact that elite teams can pick at our glaring weaknesses whereas weak teams cannot.  Elite teams have the personnel to out run our safeties and push our DL back, weak teams do not.

We'll see in a few weeks.  Cleveland may suddenly cure all of our woes and make us feel good again.

SAR I

3 hours ago, SAR I said:

While I respect that we disagree on this topic, would you not say that a strong-armed accurate quarterback and a stalwart offensive line are the two hallmarks of an elite team?

I believe that our early season struggles are due to the fact that elite teams can pick at our glaring weaknesses whereas weak teams cannot.  Elite teams have the personnel to out run our safeties and push our DL back, weak teams do not.

We'll see in a few weeks.  Cleveland may suddenly cure all of our woes and make us feel good again.

SAR I

A WFAN caller earlier today said Francesa said the Jets "got it right" w/ hiring Bowles.  The caller asked if Francesa still thinks that way.  Francesa said he has no reason not to think that way.  The Jets were underdog in all their losses and favorite in their 1 win.  He also said the team won 10 games last year and that he expected a tough start this year due to the toughest schedule in the league.  He also said to give it a few more weeks and see where the team is at.

3 minutes ago, DetroitRed said:

Caught some of the show and he had some great points and critiques. The one I agreed with the most is to stop playing people out of position. Get Richardson and everyone else in to places were they excel

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

That's right - I forgot he mentioned that about Richardson.  It was a good point.

It's funny to me. When we suck there's always a thread about Francesa and how everything he says is right. When we're decent there's always a thread calling him an a$$hole for essentially saying the same thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

A WFAN caller earlier today said Francesa said the Jets "got it right" w/ hiring Bowles.  The caller asked if Francesa still thinks that way.  Francesa said he has no reason not to think that way.  The Jets were underdog in all their losses and favorite in their 1 win.  He also said the team won 10 games last year and that he expected a tough start this year due to the toughest schedule in the league.  He also said to give it a few more weeks and see where the team is at.

I called him in July saying the same thing, at the time his response was that the Jets had to focus on starting 3-3 to have a legitimate shot at the playoffs.  That's something I think most of us in here agreed with.

He is right in saying that we weren't favored (and won't be favored) in our first 6 games this year due to level of competition, being on the road, etc.  The Cincinnati game is what ruined our chance at a salvageable season.  Week 1 must-win.  Didn't happen.

SAR I

1 hour ago, Snell41 said:

It's funny to me. When we suck there's always a thread about Francesa and how everything he says is right. When we're decent there's always a thread calling him an a$$hole for essentially saying the same thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't stand Francesa either way tbh.  He's an interesting figure to me though because he's almost famous for being pompous. Francesacon is a complete mockery of him. Russo at least has a sense of humor. Francesa thinks he has a loyal following of people who love him. I think it's more accurate to say he has a loyal following of people who love to mock him. It's a very unusual dynamic.  

6 hours ago, SAR I said:

I called him in July saying the same thing, at the time his response was that the Jets had to focus on starting 3-3 to have a legitimate shot at the playoffs.  That's something I think most of us in here agreed with.

He is right in saying that we weren't favored (and won't be favored) in our first 6 games this year due to level of competition, being on the road, etc.  The Cincinnati game is what ruined our chance at a salvageable season.  Week 1 must-win.  Didn't happen.

SAR I

The Cincy game was emblematic of Bowles thinking his team was better than it is. He still doesn't seem to KNOW their weaknesses or cover them up. Up 7-0, crowd into it going nuts, 4th & 1/2 yard on the goal line & he goes total pussy.

FG gets blocked, it was like the air went out. I HATED that decision & the reason is not hindsight, the reason is we HAD TO WIN THAT GAME! Bowles had to take every TD opportunity in that game. Hey, we might have gotten stuffed, but we had 7 sacks that day, who's to say we wouldn't have gotten a safety & the ball back? 

All summer we talked about how big that 1st home game was because of our schedule, it's like Bowles didn't get the message but the fans did. Bowles needed to have a WWBBD (what would Bill Belichick do) moment.

Thats when you base your decision on MOMENTS in games when the coach says, "will we get to the 1/2 yard line again?". Here is a team, with 3 first round picks on the Dline & Bowles is worried about Cincy maybe having the ball on the 1/2 yard line backed up in their own endzone, with the entire MetLife stadium pumped out of their minds OPENING DAY!

Sorry, IDIOT!

10 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

The jets were always underdogs when kottie was here. Guess that makes him a good coach too? ?

Its the way we have lost games.  We implode in the fourth quarter.   That's what has me frustrated at least.  

If we could make it to 5-5 when we play the Patriots on November 27th and they are 7-3 I figured at least we play a game with meaning but the way this team falls apart at the end of games I'm not even sure we beat the Dolphins or Rams.  

8 minutes ago, Lot K Tailgaters said:

Its the way we have lost games.  We implode in the fourth quarter.   That's what has me frustrated at least.  

If we could make it to 5-5 when we play the Patriots on November 27th and they are 7-3 I figured at least we play a game with meaning but the way this team falls apart at the end of games I'm not even sure we beat the Dolphins or Rams.  

That's the point. 

14 hours ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

Certainly everyone here would agree that the QB-type you mention and a strong OL go a long way to making an elite team.  But staying on the Steelers as an example, a team I do consider elite right now and usually in that category, I don't think their OL is all that great.  They reach elite status by supplementing their elite Qb with great receivers and an above average D.

Archived