Inside Mike Maccagnan's Process

UnitedWhofans

10 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

This 100%

I really believe that our DC Rogers is the main problem.  Bowles is having to spend extra time on the defense because the secondary has been putrid when it shouldn't be.  Rogers is an empty suit out there and what I mean is, not that he is an awful coach, I'm sure that he is quite a good coach.  The problem is Rogers is not a good DC!

Bowles can't ask to change schemes when the guys are doing stupid stuff out of their base defense and it is embarrassing. 

At the end of the day HCs who end up coaching the coaches leads to HCs getting fired

Bowles selected this guy. I've been bitching about it since it was announced, you don't give the keys to a Porsche to a rookie driver.

Both of them are failing at their jobs, respectively. It's not one or the other. 

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, JiF said:

Nothing about this team or about Mac's approach was in the vein of a rebuild.  Stop making excuses for something that is really simply put; This team is underachieving, big time. This wasnt a band-aid to be competitive while they rebuild.  This was an all in season to make the playoffs and it failed.

That's ok.  They tried.  They tried poorly but they tried.  But acting like there was/is a bigger picture is just a farce.  

They went all in this season and they're 1-4.  That's reality.

Excuses? That's opinion based on facts.

You have given no evidence to support your claim. 

Why do you think Macc is scoutIng Kizer and Watson?

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

Whatever his plan is won't matter if his picks do not turn out really good.

We really have gotten little out of last years draft to help the team so far.

Lee, has speed but is still raw and has made his share of mistakes.  Hackenbourg, just an awful pick considering how much of a project he is,  I like the Jenkins pick but he gets hurt and now the team has decided they are a 4-3 team thus making jenkins and mauldin poor fits and affecting Lee as well.  Burris was a good pick, trading up for Shell doesnt look great right now but that is where you take developmental guys.  Our three WR covers us in that evenb if one turns out well long term it is a success (Peake, Anderson Marshall)  The punter was a great pick.

So an average draft. Some good, some bad. The only questionable not in hindsight decision that he has made is drafting Hackenberg when he did. 

13 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Excuses? That's opinion based on facts.

You have given no evidence to support your claim. 

Why do you think Macc is scoutIng Kizer and Watson?

The facts are obvious and completely support my claim.  Mac spent a fortune on a vet secondary, traded for a vet WR, traded vet QB, signed a LT, DT and RB.  His draft was nothing but supplemental picks to fill holes. See no further than reaching for an ILB in the first round as they couldnt land one in FA and had to fill the loss of Davis.  And he dumped nearly all the young talent from the other regime to make way for this veteran led playoff bound team.

Everything Mac has done is a win now approach.  Everything.

I think Mac could be scouting any number of players from ND and Clemson.  I also think he was held hostage by Ryan Fitzpatrick and drafted the least NFL ready QB in the draft in the 2nd round and is currently carrying 4 sh*tty QB's.  So there is a great chance he has no ******* clue how to handle the QB position.

24 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

So an average draft. Some good, some bad. The only questionable not in hindsight decision that he has made is drafting Hackenberg when he did. 

The problem is that it could be a better than average one if not for the cork in the bottle that being richardson.  Mauldin, 5 sacks last year in limited snaps and Jenkins looked great in camp are twiddling their thumbs and Lee is being exposed to non ideal situations due to some kind of loyalty to richardson.  Terrible coaching.

21 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

The problem is that it could be a better than average one if not for the cork in the bottle that being richardson.  Mauldin, 5 sacks last year in limited snaps and Jenkins looked great in camp are twiddling their thumbs and Lee is being exposed to non ideal situations due to some kind of loyalty to richardson.  Terrible coaching.

Jenkins is playing now, mainly because he was hurt. 

Richardson will be gone after this year so all of that concern goes down the drain.

30 minutes ago, JiF said:

The facts are obvious and completely support my claim.  Mac spent a fortune on a vet secondary, traded for a vet WR, traded vet QB, signed a LT, DT and RB.  His draft was nothing but supplemental picks to fill holes. See no further than reaching for an ILB in the first round as they couldnt land one in FA and had to fill the loss of Davis.  And he dumped nearly all the young talent from the other regime to make way for this veteran led playoff bound team.

Everything Mac has done is a win now approach.  Everything.

I think Mac could be scouting any number of players from ND and Clemson.  I also think he was held hostage by Ryan Fitzpatrick and drafted the least NFL ready QB in the draft in the 2nd round and is currently carrying 4 sh*tty QB's.  So there is a great chance he has no ******* clue how to handle the QB position.

Who develop into starters once the older players leave. Getting the picture?

And what do you mean they couldn't lad a LB in FA. Does the name Erin Henderson mean anything to you? Bruce Carter come to mind?

And most of those veterans are on short term deals that will be off the boards in 1-2 years, not hampering future cap or draft picks.

All of your "evidence" fits my narrative too. 

Your agenda is showing. 

25 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I agree. That's on Bowles, not Maccagnan.

I thought Bowkes was gonna be an outstanding coach that we lucked out to get. He's made some alarming mistakes, very worrying. But coaches and gm's around the league have been praising him for the last few years, so maybe he's better than this and time will tell. I have turned on him faster that I usually do on coaches. But I even remember Bellichecj saying after Nee England's loss to us last year that the Jets "are well coached." Something I rarely hear him say specifically about another team or coach. 

We were all sold fools gold on this roster from last years 10-6. I'm pretty sure SAR I and a lot of other posters were preaching how overrated we and our season was last year. I bought into thinking this team could contend. We have a lot of holes to fill. If this season gets out of hand though, I can see Bowles getting fired. I hope Bowles turns it around, learns and is as good as adverised. Mac will be our gm for awhile, his sear doesn't deserve to be hot.

22 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Who develop into starters once the older players leave. Getting the picture?

And what do you mean they couldn't lad a LB in FA. Does the name Erin Henderson mean anything to you? Bruce Carter come to mind?

And most of those veterans are on short term deals that will be off the boards in 1-2 years, not hampering future cap or draft picks.

All of your "evidence" fits my narrative too. 

Your agenda is showing. 

He's starting. 

Henderson was already on the roster.  Has Bruce Carter played a down?

What agenda, honey?  I wasnt aware I had one.  I'm just calling it like I see it and It's clear as day this regime had playoff expectations by every single move Mac made.

Just now, JiF said:

He's starting. 

What agenda, honey?  I wasnt aware I had one.  I'm just calling it like I see it and It's clear as day this regime had playoff expectations by every single move Mac made.

Playoffs, no. Compete, definitely. Because even if they make the playoffs, what then?

It just feels you have a bit of an agenda because I see the same facts you see but I can infer. I don't know

1 minute ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Playoffs, no. Compete, definitely. Because even if they make the playoffs, what then?

It just feels you have a bit of an agenda because I see the same facts you see but I can infer. I don't know

What is my agenda? Explain.

Fluff story. The Jets are weaker at RB. Just signed a decent TE (he has issues though). 4 DT's starting on the DL . No speed rusher DE or LB. went from 3/4 to 4/3 without the right roster in place. Signed Fitz who is playing worse than any QB, probably even on this roster.

The Jets did improve at WR yet the QB play has been horrific. Makes that position of WR difficult to evaluate. Always better to get on with the youth movement than to keep a veteran 1 year too long limo. 

Not ready to throw in the towel on either TB or Macc. Mistakes are always made. It is how you manage them.

4 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Reps are requisite to development. At any position. So, I'm puzzled that if the plan is to complete in the near-term, but also develop the roster, why is there such an aversion to trusting inexperienced players in the fold with the veterans?

At what point in the plan do you flip the switch from being veteran-reliant to being young-reliant in this "process"? You see teams around the league with a healthy blend of youth and veterans and they are competing. You see us, and if it weren't for injuries, it would be a starting lineup full of veterans and the young players are just taking up space on the roster.

Good article. I just question how in-sync Bowles is with Mac's vision. 

Macc is watching the same Head Coach we are and if he's not totally dumbfounded at how Bowles is running this team then he's got real issues.

I think Macc is going to be a very good long tern GM for this team but he has to pick his own Head Coach and move on quickly IMHO.

24 minutes ago, JiF said:

He's starting. 

There is no doubt this team had playoffs written all over it.

We were supposed to have a monster DL

We signed and drafted fast LB's which has been a weakness for quite some time.

Rebuilding teams do not sign 30+ year old players teams that think they can win now do. Unfortunately our Head Coach is a moron and has no clue how to deal with the personnel he's been given and it glaringly obvious. I really think this guy is getting close to losing this locker room as well as the players on the field

15 minutes ago, Jetdawgg said:

Fluff story. The Jets are weaker at RB. Just signed a decent TE (he has issues though). 4 DT's starting on the DL . No speed rusher DE or LB. went from 3/4 to 4/3 without the right roster in place. Signed Fitz who is playing worse than any QB, probably even on this roster.

The Jets did improve at WR yet the QB play has been horrific. Makes that position of WR difficult to evaluate. Always better to get on with the youth movement than to keep a veteran 1 year too long limo. 

Not ready to throw in the towel on either TB or Macc. Mistakes are always made. It is how you manage them.

Mauldin and Lee can be classified as speed rushers if used correctly but Mauldin does not see the field much as of late and Lee is still getting comfortable in this crappy ass defense we run. After 5 games Bowles still can not see that his corners need some help over top since teams are burning us weekly and they are doing it the exact same way with no adjustment from the Jets.

Physically and talent wise this team was in every game this year but when you cant coach and adjust you simply cant win

As I posted in another thread...

3 hours ago, j4jets said:

1. We are not in a rebuild season. You don't pay a never-has-been QB $12mil when you had 3-4 mil cap space. 

2. I don't know where the $30-40 mil figure is coming from. By my calc, maybe we let go of Giac (4.5mil saving - should've sent him packing this year), David Harris (6.5mil saving), Henderson (2.7mil) Revis (7.3 mil) and Mangold (9mil). Thats the $30mil. I highly doubt we will cut Revis and Mangold. Saving $7 mil on Revis isn't worth it when our #1 corner would be Buster...Buster?? Puke! And Mangold isn't going anywhere either. So that leaves us back down to about 13 mil of space with three starting positions yet to cover, rookies and whatnot. Can they create more space by restructures? Of course, but thats what win-now teams do, not the ones in rebuild mode. Rebuilding is all about saving up on cap while giving a prolonged chance to rookies and such with a few veteran presence.

Just now, Matt39 said:

This is what people who dont know what they're doing do. Jets need to accumulate picks.

This year was supposed to bring us 2-3 comp picks. But Mac the Great picked up a bunch of JAGs in the FA that mostly don't contribute. I was hoping Denver would sign Fitz but they passed, rightfully so. 

Just now, j4jets said:

This year was supposed to bring us 2-3 comp picks. But Mac the Great picked up a bunch of JAGs in the FA that mostly don't contribute. I was hoping Denver would sign Fitz but they passed, rightfully so. 

It's pretty amazing. He gave up free draft picks to sign Jarvis Jenkins, who never gets on the field, and Matt Forte, who's a sh*ttier Bilal Powell.

25 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

It's pretty amazing. He gave up free draft picks to sign Jarvis Jenkins, who never gets on the field, and Matt Forte, who's a sh*ttier Bilal Powell.

That BS. Forte has had a very good year. I don't know where the hate is coming from.  

As I said, it depends on performance of the players to asses comp picks

4 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Whatever his plan is won't matter if his picks do not turn out really good.

We really have gotten little out of last years draft to help the team so far.

Lee, has speed but is still raw and has made his share of mistakes.  Hackenbourg, just an awful pick considering how much of a project he is,  I like the Jenkins pick but he gets hurt and now the team has decided they are a 4-3 team thus making jenkins and mauldin poor fits and affecting Lee as well.  Burris was a good pick, trading up for Shell doesnt look great right now but that is where you take developmental guys.  Our three WR covers us in that evenb if one turns out well long term it is a success (Peake, Anderson Marshall)  The punter was a great pick.

I agree that execution of the picks is key. And so far Macc has outexecuted Idzik and post 2009 Tanny.

6 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

That BS. Forte has had a very good year. I don't know where the hate is coming from.  

As I said, it depends on performance of the players to asses comp picks

In all fairness, yes, he's been fine. His skills are also redundant with Powell's, who's younger and cheaper, and considering his position and his age, it made no sense to give up a draft pick for him.

Archived