2016-17 New York Rangers thread

shawn306

Here we go folks. Opening Night against the Islanders. Hopefully with a better ending.

Forwards

# Pos Sh Ht Wt Born Birthplace
89 LW L 6' 2" 193 Apr 17, 1995 Cherepovets, RUS
19 RW R 6' 0" 190 Dec 2, 1991 Nassjo, SWE
40 RW L 6' 1" 185 Oct 5, 1987 Villach, AUT
13 RW L 6' 5" 215 May 8, 1992 Dorchester, MA, USA
86 RW R 6' 1" 197 Jul 14, 1990 Burlington, ON, CAN
20 LW L 6' 3" 228 Apr 30, 1991 Boxford, MA, USA
24 C L 6' 1" 202 Oct 29, 1991 Skellefteå, SWE
10 C L 6' 1" 206 Mar 14, 1993 East Palestine, OH, USA
61 LW L 6' 4" 212 Jun 16, 1984 Brampton, ON, CAN
73 C L 6' 0" 186 Apr 10, 1991 Toronto, ON, CAN
21 C R 6' 0" 196 Jun 18, 1990 Hastings, MN, USA
26 LW L 6' 3" 207 May 26, 1993 Boston, MA, USA
93 C R 6' 2" 215 Apr 18, 1993 Huddinge, SWE
36 RW L 5' 7" 179 Sep 1, 1987 Oslo, NOR

Defense

# Sh Ht Wt Born Birthplace
4 R 6' 0" 196 Oct 26, 1992 Niagara Falls, NY, USA
5 R 6' 1" 212 Apr 29, 1984 Welland, ON, CAN
22 L 6' 4" 214 May 15, 1987 St. Albert, AB, CAN
8 R 6' 1" 206 Dec 13, 1984 Kitchener, ON, CAN
27 L 6' 1" 216 Jun 13, 1989 St. Paul, MN, USA
6 R 6' 5" 236 Apr 20, 1992 Winnipeg, MB, CAN
76 L 6' 3" 211 Mar 26, 1994 Lakeville, MN, USA
18 L 6' 4" 209 Jan 13, 1987 Thunder Bay, ON, CAN

Goalies

# Ht Wt Born Birthplace
30 6' 1" 188 Mar 2, 1982 Are, SWE
32 6' 0" 195 May 12, 1989 Rauma, FIN

* = Injured reserve

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, SMC said:

Chris Kreider finally making a leap!

You just hope that he can do that for the entire season. If he plays like that the Rangers become a very dangerous team. 

It also is good to see Staal playing well.

I love the youth of this team. Krieder, Miller, Vesey, Skjei, Zibanejad. If Hayes gets back to his 2015 form and Lindberg steps up. Oh Baby !!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Really nice start to the year.

What's to like;

Vesey, Kreider, Miller, Pirri, McDonagh, Staal, Grabner, Nash, Hayes and Zibenejad.

Forwards who can put the puck in the net on a breakaway!

Nash seems revitalized by the line around him

In general the Blue line has been solid so far but can it last?

Niggling concerns

Hopefully Buchnevich joins the party soon.

Derak Stepan seems to be invisible

I have felt that Hank was in decline for the last year or so.  Nothing I have seen so far this year is making me want to change my opinion on that.

On 10/31/2016 at 8:01 AM, shawn306 said:

A very sweet 6-1 over the Lightning. I love what I am see so far. The Rangers look faster, their defense looks alot better and the younger players are stepping in nicely.

Maybe this team won't be as bad as alot of people thought.

It was especially nice to see Bishop take that drubbing....

7 hours ago, EM31 said:

Really nice start to the year.

What's to like;

Vesey, Kreider, Miller, Pirri, McDonagh, Staal, Grabner, Nash, Hayes and Zibenejad.

Forwards who can put the puck in the net on a breakaway!

Nash seems revitalized by the line around him

In general the Blue line has been solid so far but can it last?

Niggling concerns

Hopefully Buchnevich joins the party soon.

Derak Stepan seems to be invisible

I have felt that Hank was in decline for the last year or so.  Nothing I have seen so far this year is making me want to change my opinion on that.

Lundqvist looks ordinary. Seems to give up a soft goal every game early. But the offense has been the best in the NHL so far. This group of forwards is fantastic. 

Stepan is still technically the #1 center but wonder if he's trade bait for a puck-moving defenseman. Miller could step into that slot without any difference and their depth at forward could cover that. 

Biggest improvements this year.

Face-off W/L percentage - It has been an article of faith for years among Rangers fans that we were going to lose the face-off battle no matter who we were playing an that we were probably going to lose it by an even bigger margin in the playoffs.  All of a sudden this year we are 8th as a team against 23rd last year and 28th the tear before that  Great work by somebody on this.

Team passing - I thought Mats Zuccarello was head and shoulders our best passing player the last few years and I still think he is our most talented passer.  The difference this year is the improvements that can be seen in Miller, Hayes, Kreider and a bunch of others who seem to be making Zuc-like passes every night.  Great stuff

On 11/2/2016 at 4:40 PM, EM31 said:

Anyone else just a bit concerned that all of this is coming together just a little too early?

Not really

The season is 82 games. Every team is going to have its ups and downs and the Rangers will have their's at some point in the season. Especially the young guys.

As the season goes in the January and Feburary and March it will be interesting how some of the older guys (Girardi, Staal) hold up. Right now they are playing better than last year.

They look so much faster and more fluid than last year it is not even funny. Guys are stepping up left and right right now. 

I am enjoying the hell out of this. 

On ‎10‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 8:11 AM, faba said:

Only  a small sample but good sign is all the team creating opportunities and scoring balanced

So far so good!

The NYR are rolling, as they prepare for their Canadian West Coast trip.

18 hours ago, EM31 said:

No overlooking weaker opponents because of the big Penguins home and home next week.

I totally agree with this.

The Rangers have been nothing short of spectacular to start the season. 2-0 to start the western Canada swing with Vancouver coming up tonight. They are going to need Krieder and Buchnevich back really fast with the the Penguins coming up next week.

Everything looks good so far.

The Krieder injury is concerning and AV being cryptic about it is not helping.

Great road trip and they scored 7 goals in a slog, which was impressive.

They skate four lines deep which has been the key to their ridiculous goal differential and high scoring output.  I still want to see them score a lot a goals in high scoring games, because that has been their bugaboo in the the past.  If an opponent scores over 3 goals they looked toast before.  Now let's see them win 5-4, 6-5 games.  I think they can, but they have to prove it.

On 11/7/2016 at 11:18 AM, SMC said:

When was the last time the Rangers led GFPG at any time?  It's refreshing to see them force the action rather than rely on Hank to bail them out as they did in his prime.

It's crazy, I've been watching all season thinking that if Hank was in his prime, this team would be unstoppable.

7 hours ago, SMC said:

The Krieder injury is concerning and AV being cryptic about it is not helping.

Great road trip and they scored 7 goals in a slog, which was impressive.

They skate four lines deep which has been the key to their ridiculous goal differential and high scoring output.  I still want to see them score a lot a goals in high scoring games, because that has been their bugaboo in the the past.  If an opponent scores over 3 goals they looked toast before.  Now let's see them win 5-4, 6-5 games.  I think they can, but they have to prove it.

Yeah, I'm anxious about how he is. Don't mind AV being tight lipped tho, he's just not gonna divulge it even if it's minor.

I wanna see Kreider back out there ASAP and join Miller and Hayes as young guys who have matured and advanced.....so far.

Definitely good news on Kreider, but now a tough loss of Zibanejad for 2 months. This will be a telling stretch for the Rangers.

It also annoys me that the Rangers don't just shoot the puck and play the rebounds.  Hayes had a prime chance in OT and I know the puck was dancing around, but "Just shoot!" (I yell that so many times in games).  Good things happen when the puck is around an opposing goalie.  But it seems the Rangers wait for the perfect pass or perfect scoring opportunity before shooting.

Archived