Some Good QB News

CrazyCarl40

12 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

This would certainly make sense, but Petty has gotten basically no reps. Smart money is they hold onto Fitz three games too long, then go to Geno the rest of the season.

Meh.  depends where they are with the won lost record.  If by mid November the Jets are still in a realistic scenario for the playoffs, then they will hold onto Fitz as long as they are even if the number of games for Petty to play diminishes more and more.  The playoffs are what will drive this. Conversely if the Jets have no realistic shot at that point, they will play Petty and see what he can do.

The problem that too many here hoping the Jets play Petty sooner than later are forgetting is the situation of the veteran players.  As long as the Jets have a shot at the playoffs, that is the more important thing than seeing how Petty might fit into the plans for next year and beyond.  That's how the players themselves will see it.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

This forum is going to get uglier than normal when the jets lose a couple more games, are pretty well mathematically out of the playoffs and they are still going with Fitz.

I hope the fans that still show up to home games make sure the organization knows it is time for Petty if they do this.  Loudly.

13 minutes ago, Big Blocker said:

Meh.  depends where they are with the won lost record.  If by mid November the Jets are still in a realistic scenario for the playoffs, then they will hold onto Fitz as long as they are even if the number of games for Petty to play diminishes more and more.  The playoffs are what will drive this. Conversely if the Jets have no realistic shot at that point, they will play Petty and see what he can do.

The problem that too many here hoping the Jets play Petty sooner than later are forgetting is the situation of the veteran players.  As long as the Jets have a shot at the playoffs, that is the more important thing than seeing how Petty might fit into the plans for next year and beyond.  That's how the players themselves will see it.

While true, the players are the ones that requested the Jets re-sign this stiff for at least $12M/year in the first place. The two most vocal were the two he stared down and threw to some 300x between them. Pardon me if I don't give a crap what they want.

Just now, Sperm Edwards said:

While true, the players are the ones that requested the Jets re-sign this stiff for at least $12M/year in the first place. The two most vocal were the two he stared down and threw to some 300x between them. Pardon me if I don't give a crap what they want.

I am sorry, but it is not about what you want or I want.  The point is the CS and FO are not going to give up on this season until the Jets are out of any realistic shot at the playoffs, and the players would view benching Fitz for Petty as an experiment for next year and thereafter, and not as trying their hardest to win this year.  And, they will take that into account.

If Fitz plays himself out of his job, which he has not done already, then yeah that could change things.   But I am reasonably confident no change at Qb will be made until the Jets are realistically out of the playoffs.  Which as of now they are not.

At 1-5?  Not yet. 1-6?  Yeah.  2-6?  Close.  3-6?  Nope.

2-7?  Yep.  4-7?  Nope.

8 losses?  Yep.

1 hour ago, rex-n-effect said:

If Petty shows at a game suited up then that will be about as good of a sign as it gets that Geno is the backup in name only. 

petty took one hit and missed 2 months.  after fitz has the starters reps and geno takes the back up reps and splitting the scraps with hack, petty is looking at like 5 reps a week

until he gets back up reps during practice, he is the 3rd stringer and not going to play this year

46 minutes ago, Big Blocker said:

The veteran players can go piss up a rope. If they don't like us tanking, they shouldn't have started the season 1-4.

1 hour ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

That would be so, so Jets.

Yes because then they would be obligated to bring in another "veteran" next year (Fitz and Geno are gone barring a miracle) thereby delaying ascertaining whether or not we have a decent QB on the roster!!!

Utter madness!!

56 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

The truth is once Fitz is sat down that is it.  There is no coming back to him if Bowles makes a major move like that. 

IMO that is what made the decision not to sit Fitz dwon for a few series so concerning in that 6 pic game.................

imagepng

1 hour ago, Lupz27 said:

I agree with this, but don't agree with the Jets doing this.

first, petty has to beat out geno with limited reps, then bowles has to show the balls to promote petty on the depth chart and give him the back up reps

I really doubt that happens.  

this year is fitz/geno, next year is petty/hack 

2 minutes ago, Larz said:

first, petty has to beat out geno with limited reps, then bowles has to show the balls to promote petty on the depth chart and give him the back up reps

I really doubt that happens.  

this year is fitz/geno, next year is petty/hack 

Geno has no future as a Jet. It makes no sense to play him at all. 

4 hours ago, j4jets said:

Try inserting the $12mil into the equation. You arguing over this and saying Petty should start is dumb as a doorknob. 

The $12 mil is a testament to how badly the coaches didn't want to start Geno BEFORE the 6 int. The fact Geno still isn't starting is your dodo brain logic.

You suck at this.

once we have lost 6 games I think we are out; once we pass the Ravens the defense isn't so bad; conclusion, if petty practices the next few weeks and we drop another game or two, when the season is over and the opponent is a little weak, we play Petty. Not before. Maybe even after the bye

3 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

The $12 mil is a testament to how badly the coaches didn't want to start Geno BEFORE the 6 int. The fact Geno still isn't starting is your dodo brain logic.

You suck at this.

Not really. 12mil is why Fitz is starting. The only thing worse than Fitz' play right now is your dumb argument. Like I said, carry on. Your boy Petty ain't starting this year, honey. 

44 minutes ago, j4jets said:

Not really. 12mil is why Fitz is starting. The only thing worse than Fitz' play right now is your dumb argument. Like I said, carry on. Your boy Petty ain't starting this year, honey. 

Geno is why Fitz got 12 mil, and why Fitz is still starting. The assertion that coaches don't want to look bad for the contract holds zero credibility, since nothing in the NFL looks worse than losing.

If they thought Geno could stop the bleeding, he'd be playing. History of the league has proven this time and again.

The round and round you're pursuing just means you're wrong exponentially.

3 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

Petty is not playing this year. This guy just didn't practice since August. He apparently is as soft as Romo. Relax, its gona be Geno if its anyone.

Lol, 1st injury, one we don't know how,severe it was, and you've got his injury history figured out.

Which med school did you graduate from Dr? 

2 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Geno is why Fitz got 12 mil, and why Fitz is still starting.

Not really.

The assertion that coaches don't want to look bad for the contract holds zero credibility, since nothing in the NFL looks worse than losing.

Wrong again. when you spend 6 months and finally bend over to sign a journeyman to that garbage deal, you have to play him. If you back out, you become the bigger laughing stock. As is, it's the team that's the laughing stock.

If they thought Geno could stop the bleeding, he'd be playing. History of the league has proven this time and again.

Wrong as to why Geno isn't starting. Geno is clearly better than Fitz. You can cut your nonsense.

The round and round you're pursuing just means you're wrong exponentially.

Not pursuing anything but since you brought it up, I'm guessing the same wouldnt hold true for your opinion cuz why?

6 hours ago, Big Blocker said:

I am sorry, but it is not about what you want or I want.  The point is the CS and FO are not going to give up on this season until the Jets are out of any realistic shot at the playoffs, and the players would view benching Fitz for Petty as an experiment for next year and thereafter, and not as trying their hardest to win this year.  And, they will take that into account.

If Fitz plays himself out of his job, which he has not done already, then yeah that could change things.   But I am reasonably confident no change at Qb will be made until the Jets are realistically out of the playoffs.  Which as of now they are not.

At 1-5?  Not yet. 1-6?  Yeah.  2-6?  Close.  3-6?  Nope.

2-7?  Yep.  4-7?  Nope.

8 losses?  Yep.

Fitz has played himself out of a job. Pride, stubbornness, stupidity, and fear are the reasons he's in there. He just isn't good. But then, neither are the people who've put him in this position. 

The season is over. There is a 0% chance of a Super Bowl. 

petty

Bryce Petty returned to the practice field on Thursday. He was injured in the Jets final preseason game when he threw a 44 yard touchdown pass to Robby Anderson. It ended a preseason for Petty in which he saw his stock rise with several impressive performances and an overall QBR of 95.9%.
petty

Todd Bowles was asked about Petty’s recovery and in typical fashion, he didn’t add much.

He’s in practice now. He had a full practice. He practiced full. I didn’t mention him. He was in the full practice.

This was Petty’s first full practice since getting injured. With the Jets sitting at 1 and 4 and Ryan Fitzpatrick having twice as many interceptions (10) as he does touchdowns (5), it seems inevitable that a QB change is coming.
Coach Bowles discussed how the the reps are divided up for the QBs at practice.

It depends on how many passes. Geno (Smith) gets a lot of first-team reps too, because you never know. If Fitzpatrick goes down, somebody is going to have to play, so Geno has been getting all of those reps, too. You kind of divide them up between (Christian) Hackenberg and Petty.

Many are speculating that the Jets don’t want to switch to Geno Smith since he isn’t under contract for next season. So could a move to Bryce Petty be in the Jets future. You can read more about the NY Jets QB situation in our forums.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
w6eg73cnFfQ

Click here to read the full story...

9 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Logic.

#2 QB is better than #3 QB, becaue #3 QB hasn't taken #2 QB's job.

Coming from the same guy that argues that hte #2 QB is better than the #1 QB, even though the #2 QB hasn't taken the #1 QB's job.

You can't make up this level of stupid.

Nope you're right.  This is legit stupidity.  I got a front row seat Wednesday how bad it really is.  Guy loves himself some Geno Smith. 

1 hour ago, j4jets said:

Not really.

Wrong again. when you spend 6 months and finally bend over to sign a journeyman to that garbage deal, you have to play him. If you back out, you become the bigger laughing stock. As is, it's the team that's the laughing stock.

Wrong as to why Geno isn't starting. Geno is clearly better than Fitz. You can cut your nonsense.

Not pursuing anything but since you brought it up, I'm guessing the same wouldnt hold true for your opinion cuz why?

Yes really.

No. No he isn't.  I almost hope that we see Geno so you can just shut up already with this nonsense, but it would be far better for Petty to get the reps.  Plus, the Geno fans will sh*t their Depends over him not starting which, if anything, would be hilarious during this nightmare of season.

Archived