Some Good QB News

CrazyCarl40

9 hours ago, dbatesman said:

This would certainly make sense, but Petty has gotten basically no reps. Smart money is they hold onto Fitz three games too long, then go to Geno the rest of the season.

Yeah. The elephant in the room is that Smith is still the best chance that next year's starter is already on the roster. Obviously this speaks ill of the alternatives rather than well of him, but there it is. 

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Logic.

#2 QB is better than #3 QB, becaue #3 QB hasn't taken #2 QB's job.

Coming from the same guy that argues that hte #2 QB is better than the #1 QB, even though the #2 QB hasn't taken the #1 QB's job.

You can't make up this level of stupid.

Hahahahahahahahahahaha

3 hours ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

Yeah. The elephant in the room is that Smith is still the best chance that next year's starter is already on the roster. Obviously this speaks ill of the alternatives rather than well of him, but there it is. 

Haha. No. Geno's contract is done after this season and they aren't bringing him back. And if he has any personal self awareness or worth, he doesn't want to come back either. He's as good as gone. 

4 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Haha. No. Geno's contract is done after this season and they aren't bringing him back. And if he has any personal self awareness or worth, he doesn't want to come back either. He's as good as gone. 

Haha. Yes. These things are all true and the other options are still less likely. Petty because blind stupid hope is not a plan.

8 hours ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

Watch the Jets franchise him. 

20 minutes ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

Haha. Yes. These things are all true and the other options are still less likely. Petty because blind stupid hope is not a plan.

So Petty because decent looking play and marked improvemnet in the offseason and preseason is blind, stupid hope?

9 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Yes really.

No. No he isn't.  I almost hope that we see Geno so you can just shut up already with this nonsense, but it would be far better for Petty to get the reps.  Plus, the Geno fans will sh*t their Depends over him not starting which, if anything, would be hilarious during this nightmare of season.

latest?cb=20160621193547

51 minutes ago, Big Blocker said:

After Petty was put on the PUP list, what was the earliest they could have brought him back?

After week 6, but apparently, if you practiced during the camp, you become ineligible for the PUP. Another poster pointed it out. I wasn't aware of that rule, however.

2 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

So Petty because decent looking play and marked improvemnet in the offseason and preseason is blind, stupid hope?

Yes. We're talking about practice and you don't know what you're looking at anyway. Bryce Petty is a fourth round draft pick. If he were to come in next year and play at about the level Smith did in his two seasons as a starter, that would be a > 50% outcome. Again, this whole Petty hasn't played so we don't know for sure he can't therefore super bowl crap is more loser Jets fan syndrome stuff. If you guys don't serious up then neither will they.

23 minutes ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

Yes. We're talking about practice and you don't know what you're looking at anyway. Bryce Petty is a fourth round draft pick. If he were to come in next year and play at about the level Smith did in his two seasons as a starter, that would be a > 50% outcome. Again, this whole Petty hasn't played so we don't know for sure he can't therefore super bowl crap is more loser Jets fan syndrome stuff. If you guys don't serious up then neither will they.

I don't know what I'm looking at? How did you come to that conclusion? I'm not sure if Petty is the answer. I know Geno isn't. Let's see what Petty has while the Jets are throwing this season down the tubes anyway. Unless you have a better idea, but I doubt that.

59 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

I don't know what I'm looking at? How did you come to that conclusion? I'm not sure if Petty is the answer. I know Geno isn't. Let's see what Petty has while the Jets are throwing this season down the tubes anyway. Unless you have a better idea, but I doubt that.

Wouldn't it make sense to play Petty this season to see what we've got Fitzpatrick isn't getting the job done or anything near playing decent he's toast. 

Start Petty from here on in evaluate the situation instead of waiting another year and then installing Petty in the NFL system. 

We need to make a drastic move for a QB if Petty and Hack arent the answers.

4 hours ago, Big Blocker said:

After Petty was put on the PUP list, what was the earliest they could have brought him back?

They couldn't put him on the pup list, he didn't qualify.  You have to be injured and not practice the whole preseason.

We aren't going to start Petty until he is ready (at least a week or two to practice fully); we aren't going to start him against the Cardinals (3rd ranked passing defense) and the Ravens (5th ranked passing, 2 overall) while Fitz is still healthy; we likely aren't going to start him while we are in the hunt (which will be over soon). I would imagine if the Jets drop the next 2, you will set Petty against Cleveland; if not, after the bye.

2 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

We aren't going to start Petty until he is ready (at least a week or two to practice fully); we aren't going to start him against the Cardinals (3rd ranked passing defense) and the Ravens (5th ranked passing, 2 overall) while Fitz is still healthy; we likely aren't going to start him while we are in the hunt (which will be over soon). I would imagine if the Jets drop the next 2, you will set Petty against Cleveland; if not, after the bye.

Why do we coddle our rookie QB's then expect them to step up and be franchise QB's.

Geno Smith has proven that he is not the future franchise QB of the Jets and the jury is out regarding Bryce Petty and Christian Hackenberg.  That being said, whenever Fitz is removed as the starting QB of the Jets (hopefully sooner rather than later), either Petty or Hackenberg needs to get the starting job, not Geno. As dumb as this franchise has historically been regarding starting and developing QB's, surely they realize that starting Geno Smith at any point this year would be at the height of stupidity for this franchise.

3 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Why do we coddle our rookie QB's then expect them to step up and be franchise QB's.

Why throw them in if they aren't ready? So that they can take a beating? So they can learn bad habits? Look what happened to RGIII. If you don't spend the farm on him and you have a starter, why rush them? If he was the #2 and Fitz got hurt, you put him in because you don't have any choice. But he is not (and he isn't).

i supposed that when you learned to ride a bike it was in a big hill with a ton of traffic? You teach a kid to ride a bike on a flat area in a quiet safe place. But I guess that is coddling, huh?

If the CS thought he had a better chance at winning against the Cardinals, he would play. But, yeah, sure, let's throw him out there against a great defense with the playoffs still on the line; wtf - the fans are impatient. And when the next FO comes it (and it would after that) we can start all over and then wait another 2 years. Rinse, Repeat

Just now, bostonmajet said:

Why throw them in if they aren't ready? So that they can take a beating? So they can learn bad habits? Look what happened to RGIII. If you don't spend the farm on him and you have a starter, why rush them? If he was the #2 and Fitz got hurt, you put him in because you don't have any choice. But he is not (and he isn't).

i supposed that when you learned to ride a bike it was in a big hill with a ton of traffic? You teach a kid to ride a bike on a flat area in a quiet safe place. But I guess that is coddling, huh?

If the CS thought he had a better chance at winning against the Cardinals, he would play. But, yeah, sure, let's throw him out there against a great defense with the playoffs still on the line; wtf - the fans are impatient. And when the next FO comes it (and it would after that) we can start all over and then wait another 2 years. Rinse, Repeat

Hands on experience is the only way to learn in the NFL other teams do it all the time but the jets have this great formula of success of grooming QB's LMFAO 

1 minute ago, joewilly12 said:

Hands on experience is the only way to learn in the NFL other teams do it all the time but the jets have this great formula of success of grooming QB's LMFAO 

Yeah, and he will get that experience - once he has practiced healthy for more than a day - once the team is likely out of the playoffs - once the schedule gets lighter, maybe after the bye. He can start the last 6 games, play against mostly easier teams, and still get a TON of experience. But you are right, the past 2 FO approaches to grooming by throwing the guy out there when he wasn't ready, not making him earn the starting job, sink or swim have worked out REALLY WELL ... 

28 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Carson Wentz and Dan Prescott comes to mind.

2 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

I don't know what I'm looking at? How did you come to that conclusion? I'm not sure if Petty is the answer. I know Geno isn't.

The fact that you think that this is a valid premise means you don't know much of anything. Geno is not good enough to be a starting quarterback in the NFL, but he is at least in the ballpark. There is no actual reason to think that Petty is even close. It's only unconsidered hope. I don't consider what you think you know and don't know to be much of a barometer for anything.

15 minutes ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

The fact that you think that this is a valid premise means you don't know much of anything. Geno is not good enough to be a starting quarterback in the NFL, but he is at least in the ballpark. There is no actual reason to think that Petty is even close. It's only unconsidered hope. I don't consider what you think you know and don't know to be much of a barometer for anything.

Geno was the worst starting QB of all QBs in 2013 and 2014. I'm not sure what ballpark that is, but it isn't one I would like my favorite team to be playing in. He's done as a Jet. He's not going to be here much longer and there is absolutely no good to come from him playing.

There are reasons to think Petty could at least be serviceable. He looked better than Geno did in all of the preseason games. There's no reason why he cannot be a solid NFL QB. He has the arm and it seems like he's getting better as he learns and progresses.

And you're "I know better than you because I said so" diatribes wear thin. You don't know any better or different than anyone else here.

Oh, and you still didn't offer a viable alternative QB solution for the team.

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

True as far as it goes, but I think the key variable is how to maximize experience while making it a good experience. A bad experience is one where the Qb in question in effect has his confidence undermined.

People think of losing self confidence too often in stoic terms, by which I mean it is simply a question of will power to overcome a lack of self confidence.  Even in the face of adversity, and losing, one can overcome that through the sheer power of your will.

There's certainly truth to that.  But only up to a point. In the real world bad experiences leading to bad results can "teach" us that just maybe we can't simply overcome through will power.  What do we really think of people who try hard and despite their best efforts fail?  Should they keep trying? At what point stop?

There's no one answer for everyone.  Not everybody who gets to play Qb I the NFL succeeds, and of those who fail not all could have overcome what held them back through sheer will power.

I think the key then is to get them the experience, but hopefully without such distractions as feeling like rookie mistakes put the whole season for your teammates on the line.

Even a guy like Wentz was playing for a team that many projected to have a losing season no matter who the Qb was.  That can be liberating, and to his credit he's making the most of it. 

Says here that there's a good reason not to put Petty in until as a practical matter the playoffs are unrealistic and out of reach.

1 hour ago, Big Blocker said:

True as far as it goes, but I think the key variable is how to maximize experience while making it a good experience. A bad experience is one where the Qb in question in effect has his confidence undermined.

People think of losing self confidence too often in stoic terms, by which I mean it is simply a question of will power to overcome a lack of self confidence.  Even in the face of adversity, and losing, one can overcome that through the sheer power of your will.

There's certainly truth to that.  But only up to a point. In the real world bad experiences leading to bad results can "teach" us that just maybe we can't simply overcome through will power.  What do we really think of people who try hard and despite their best efforts fail?  Should they keep trying? At what point stop?

There's no one answer for everyone.  Not everybody who gets to play Qb I the NFL succeeds, and of those who fail not all could have overcome what held them back through sheer will power.

I think the key then is to get them the experience, but hopefully without such distractions as feeling like rookie mistakes put the whole season for your teammates on the line.

Even a guy like Wentz was playing for a team that many projected to have a losing season no matter who the Qb was.  That can be liberating, and to his credit he's making the most of it. 

Says here that there's a good reason not to put Petty in until as a practical matter the playoffs are unrealistic and out of reach.

Playoffs are currently unrealistic and out of reach.  The only thing left to figure out is whether or not Petty needs to shake some rust off at practice.

6 hours ago, bostonmajet said:

Bortles Carr Bridgewater.

44 minutes ago, Kleckineau said:

Bortles Carr Bridgewater.

Well Bortles and Bridgewater sat a few games and Carr got in due to an elbow injury to Schaub, while simultaneously showing that he is the exception, not the rule.  All three also came from more pro ready systems compared to Petty and were far less abused and not in need of a reset like Hack.

The only comparable situation to those three that we've had in the last 5 years was Geno and look how that worked out.

11 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

Clearly they were ready; and their teams didn't have anything better.

Sanchez, RGIII, Leaf, Russell, and on....

Sitting clearly didn't hurt Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady...

Sitting behind Brett Favre and Drew Bledsoe way different than sitting behind Ryan Fitzpatrick

Archived