The History of Todd Bowles' Gaffes

Jack Straw

Bowles coaches like a coward afraid to loose. Reminds me of Herm Edwards and the playoff game with the steelers in early 2000s. If I recall the kicker missing 1st 50 plus field goal late in the game. NY jets offense gets ball back..hey lets run right up the middle three straight times and have the kicker try another 50 plus yard field goal. Next coach should have this interview question asked. Do you coach scared.

1 minute ago, xboxjets said:

Bowles coaches like a coward afraid to loose. Reminds me of Herm Edwards and the playoff game with the steelers in early 2000s. If I recall the kicker missing 1st 50 plus field goal late in the game. NY jets offense gets ball back..hey lets run right up the middle three straight times and have the kicker try another 50 plus yard field goal. Next coach should have this interview question asked. Do you coach scared.

2004 season, January 2005.  BIg Ben was a rookie.  THAT game was a knife in my eye. 

Bowles seems even worse than Herm if that's possible. 

3 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

You can't just blitz every down & essentially make blitzing the base defense. 

Sure you can just ask Rex he's excellent at that.

But you could sub David Harris out with an extra DB on blitz packages. Even if it all sounds stupid something needs to be tried. The HCs job is to fit his scheme with the players he is given. Something needs to be done to try and salvage 2016. If we lose Monday night the season is over.          

10 minutes ago, Reynolds1029 said:

Sure you can just ask Rex he's excellent at that.

But you could sub David Harris out with an extra DB on blitz packages. Even if it all sounds stupid something needs to be tried. The HCs job is to fit his scheme with the players he is given. Something needs to be done to try and salvage 2016. If we lose Monday night the season is over.          

Perhaps I should have added the word "successfully" to my post. I thought it was implied. 

The thing is that sub out is more or less required on every down. 

Yes the HC's job is to fit his scheme to the players and not the other way around, and I right now have a pretty low opinion of Bowles as a HC, but this is not a well put together roster. It's a bunch of players that have (or used to have) talent, but they really don't go together. Not until/unless the opposition is in obvious running situations, for which we're nicely built.

Not to beat a dead horse but watching Atl @ Sea and seeing the second half adjustments made by Quinn and his staff and I'm almost stunned.

I guess just add this to the long list of should of, would of, could of.

Kenny O over Marino, Coslet over Holmgrem, Nagle instead of making the move to get Favre, K. Brady over Sapp.  There's just too many to count.  That needs to be its own offseason thread.

4 hours ago, Pcola said:

Not to beat a dead horse but watching Atl @ Sea and seeing the second half adjustments made by Quinn and his staff and I'm almost stunned.

Kenny O over Marino, Coslet over Holmgrem, Nagle instead of making the move to get Favre, K. Brady over Sapp.  There's just too many to count.  That needs to be its own offseason thread.

No... would be too depressing....

4 hours ago, Pcola said:

Holmgrem can't be blamed on the Jets. Steinberg wanted him but Holm wanted to stay in the West coast. Coslett was a terrible choice no doubt,  but it wasn't Coslett over Holmgren

1 hour ago, billo83 said:

Holmgrem can't be blamed on the Jets. Steinberg wanted him but Holm wanted to stay in the West coast. Coslett was a terrible choice no doubt,  but it wasn't Coslett over Holmgren

Also just because we get a great coach dosent equal success. Need a good GM and scouting team along with it.

14 hours ago, billo83 said:

You are about that.  But looking back on it, he chose to go to GB where they ended up with our HC, the QB we wanted, and our HOF DE in White.  

On ‎10‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 6:02 PM, JetsFanatic said:

While I agree that Bowles has made some head scratchers, I think it's to early to give up on him.

Normally I would agree, but tell me, what has he done to give anyone hope here? I honestly have not seen one single glimmer of hope in that light. The real harsh truth is, Todd Bowltite does nothing well! What is/are his strengths? Defense? Joke. Motivation? Please. Game management? Personnel use? Offense? ST's?

Tell me, what do we hang our collective hopes on that this guy can take us where we so desperately want to go?

1 hour ago, ASH1962 said:

Normally I would agree, but tell me, what has he done to give anyone hope here? I honestly have not seen one single glimmer of hope in that light. The real harsh truth is, Todd Bowltite does nothing well! What is/are his strengths? Defense? Joke. Motivation? Please. Game management? Personnel use? Offense? ST's?

Tell me, what do we hang our collective hopes on that this guy can take us where we so desperately want to go?

Don't forget how passionate he is on the sideline.

Seriously, seeing that same stupid look on his face bad play after bad play is pissing me off. How about he at least show some fire? It won't cover his ineptitude, but at least he could pretend to care. 

• 10 months later...

Todd Bowles does not coordinate the offense or the defense.

He does not call plays. 

He is responsible for morale, depth chart, and coaching staff. 

He does decide the broad strokes on offense and defense. He could also take over play calling if he wanted to.

He does decide to take a knee with 30 seconds left in the half, and he always does.

He does decide when to speed up the offense and when to open up the passing game, and he always waits too long.

He does decide when to go for 2.

He does decide when to punt down by 2 scores with 4 min on the clock, and he always does.

44 minutes ago, Jack Straw said:

I will be updating this list to reflect Todd Bowles' decision to punt on 4th and 8 while down 9 with 4 minutes to go against the Bills. This guy is such a joke.

The worst kind of joke.  A stubborn imbecile that fails to learn from his mistakes.

On 10/13/2016 at 5:11 PM, peebag said:

I don't blame him on the 2 point conversions - more than likely he's old school where the adage is "only go for 2 points when you have to".

Why did he go for two down 2 with 5 min left in the 3rd quarter? That really could have come back to bite him if he had played the rest of the game properly. 

When we got the ball at the end of the half I left the room and told my girl that he was going to take a knee. then I told her he would go for two and explained why you don't start chasing points in the 3rd quarter. 

When we got more than half the yardage back on 3rd down with 5 min left I told her we were going to punt and once again left the room. 

I showed her how we were taking 40 seconds between plays. Just taking our time, running up the middle and still throwing most passes behind the los when we had 9 min left down by 2 scores. 

She had been mad at me about my attitude on the coach but she now understands and agrees he needs to go.

Loss of possession at the half. At least 2 possessions lost due to lack of urgency in the 4th quarter. 

Loss of another possession from punting away. That's 5 chances to score just squandered.

If the HC has no confidence in the team how will they have any in themselves or him.

If I feel this way then how do you think the team does? 

It could be argue he's in on tanking. Hell, in the 2nd half after getting stuffed on 1st down and again on 2nd down, from around our own 20 and down 2 scores, we ran it up the gut yet again on 3rd & 7.

Granted it worked, because Buffalo is also bad in their own right, but that is not the playcalling (or "ok'ing" of the playcalling) by someone who seriously wants to convert a 1st down. It was a lower-percentage play call than one of our usual short passes on 3rd & long.

2 hours ago, NYs Stepchild said:

Todd Bowles does not coordinate the offense or the defense.

He does not call plays. 

He is responsible for morale, depth chart, and coaching staff. 

He does decide the broad strokes on offense and defense. He could also take over play calling if he wanted to.

He does decide to take a knee with 30 seconds left in the half, and he always does.

He does decide when to speed up the offense and when to open up the passing game, and he always waits too long.

He does decide when to go for 2.

He does decide when to punt down by 2 scores with 4 min on the clock, and he always does.

Actually he does call the def plays and did so last year.  You may have missed it but you could see form some of the TV shots he was calling the Def plays.... 

2 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

It could be argue he's in on tanking. Hell, in the 2nd half after getting stuffed on 1st down and again on 2nd down, from around our own 20 and down 2 scores, we ran it up the gut yet again on 3rd & 7.

Granted it worked, because Buffalo is also bad in their own right, but that is not the playcalling (or "ok'ing" of the playcalling) by someone who seriously wants to convert a 1st down. It was a lower-percentage play call than one of our usual short passes on 3rd & long.

7 minutes ago, SOJ said:

Actually he does call the def plays and did so last year.  You may have missed it but you could see form some of the TV shots he was calling the Def plays.... 

I'm pretty sure Rodgers calls the plays and Bowles okays them. He does have a chart, gives input, and can veto but does not actually call the plays as far as I know. 

I know he says he doesn't call the plays. 

11 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

I'm pretty sure Rodgers calls the plays and Bowles okays them. He does have a chart, gives input, and can veto but does not actually call the plays as far as I know. 

I know he says he doesn't call the plays. 

I said "or okaying" the call. I'm quite sure Bowles doesn't make 1 offensive play call for this team, though he may give a general directive (run vs pass, or conservative/short pass vs deep pass) while Rodgers calls which specfic play it is.

Archived