Win or lose, aging Jets headed toward offseason makeover

Gas2No99

8 hours ago, LIJetsFan said:

Here's an interesting fact thru the first 5 games: 

Rookie LB  Darron Lee  has been racking up some nice numbers through his first five games as a pro. Lee, not  David Harris  for a change, leads the Jets in tackles — 32 from the coaches' video breakdown, 28 from pressbox stats. He's notched a half-sack, three tackles for loss, three more for no gain. And he got his first pro pass defense last Sunday on a third-quarter Ben Roethlisberger throw from the Jets 29.

http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-randylangefb/Inside-the-Numbers-Give-D-Lee-the-PD/c7637376-1064-4bb5-b99e-db075ec6ba7c

Lee might end up DROY

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Forget the fact that Harris ranks second on the squad with 25 solo tackles this season, he’s the quarterback of the unit. He’s the MIKE of the defense whose responsibility is to receive calls in his headset and make sure his men are lined up in the appropriate spot on every play.

He’s been the rock of New York’s defense since his rookie season of 2007.

Conventional thought aside, it’s not all doom and gloom for the Jets. Interestingly enough, Harris’s absence may benefit the Jets onMonday Night Football.

David Harris, while he can still plug holes and run stuff with the best of them, struggles mightily in the passing game. Actually, that statement alone doesn’t do his pass coverage justice. Harris could very well be the worst pass covering starting linebacker in the league.

The Jets entered Week 6 ranking 31st in the NFL in pass defense (303 yards per game). Against the run — after Sunday’s afternoon games had completed and Ezekiel Elliot had torched the Packers in Green Bay — New York now leads the league in run defense (68.4).

Those numbers just feel off, right? I mean, how could a defense be so bad against the pass yet so dominant against the run with a less than stellar 1-4 record?

The reason boils down to coaching.

Todd Bowles has continued his madness of ancient defensive philosophies that always overloads defensive personnel against the run and leaves the pass as a secondary thought. It’s something that simply cannot be done in today’s NFL, yet Bowles continues to throw an older Harris out there in sub situations.

Now that Harris won’t be available on Monday night, perhaps Bowles starts throwing dime and quarter looks on the field when it makes sense.

This is the hope. This is what we’ve been calling for all season long.

Instead of obsessively matching up with two linebackers against all 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 RB looks, Harris’s absence could force Bowles to leave Darron Lee, and only Darron Lee as the only nickel linebacker on the field.

read the whole article here:  http://elitesportsny.com/2016/10/16/new-york-jets-david-harris-injury-may-positively-impact-defense/

28 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

Forget the fact that Harris ranks second on the squad with 25 solo tackles this season, he’s the quarterback of the unit. He’s the MIKE of the defense whose responsibility is to receive calls in his headset and make sure his men are lined up in the appropriate spot on every play.

He’s been the rock of New York’s defense since his rookie season of 2007.

Conventional thought aside, it’s not all doom and gloom for the Jets. Interestingly enough, Harris’s absence may benefit the Jets onMonday Night Football.

David Harris, while he can still plug holes and run stuff with the best of them, struggles mightily in the passing game. Actually, that statement alone doesn’t do his pass coverage justice. Harris could very well be the worst pass covering starting linebacker in the league.

The Jets entered Week 6 ranking 31st in the NFL in pass defense (303 yards per game). Against the run — after Sunday’s afternoon games had completed and Ezekiel Elliot had torched the Packers in Green Bay — New York now leads the league in run defense (68.4).

Those numbers just feel off, right? I mean, how could a defense be so bad against the pass yet so dominant against the run with a less than stellar 1-4 record?

The reason boils down to coaching.

Todd Bowles has continued his madness of ancient defensive philosophies that always overloads defensive personnel against the run and leaves the pass as a secondary thought. It’s something that simply cannot be done in today’s NFL, yet Bowles continues to throw an older Harris out there in sub situations.

Now that Harris won’t be available on Monday night, perhaps Bowles starts throwing dime and quarter looks on the field when it makes sense.

This is the hope. This is what we’ve been calling for all season long.

Instead of obsessively matching up with two linebackers against all 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 RB looks, Harris’s absence could force Bowles to leave Darron Lee, and only Darron Lee as the only nickel linebacker on the field.

read the whole article here:  http://elitesportsny.com/2016/10/16/new-york-jets-david-harris-injury-may-positively-impact-defense/

Isnt nickel a pass defense?

I just hope we keep Marshall and Mangold. Even with the drops Marshall is a great receiver who is a young QB’s best friend due to his height and toughness. He’s a receiver whose 6’4 and you know by the way he plays. Nothing infuriates me more then watching tall receivers play like they are 5’10. Stephen Hill use to drive me crazy by doing that. Justin McCariens as well. I think he is a vital part of this team moving forward, even at his age. He seems to be a good influence on the younger players as well. Bet we never thought we’d be saying that…

On ‎10‎/‎15‎/‎2016 at 7:55 PM, joewilly12 said:

So Carl tell us how was Macc's off season was we are 1-4 the team is in disarray it seems we didnt really do much to improve from last  year right,remember Carl we were 10-6 you were dancing goosing your neighbors you were growing a beard and wearing a #14 Fitzpatrick jersey my how a year has changed us huh Carl. 

What an awful post.  There's so many things wrong with it. 

22 hours ago, LIJetsFan said:

Hey, coincidently, Harris is doubtful this week with a hamstring.  Let's see how the D does w/o him.       

I was thinking the same think when they listed Harris as doubtful.  We shall see.  And yes I am if not optimistic, not pessimistic either about him being out. 

So watch the Jets prove me wrong. 

Part of the problem with the Jets right now seems to be a lack of leadership by certain vets.  Marshall is clearly a leader, and I sort of give Mangold cred for leading by example (as I did Ferguson despite his declining level of play his last couple of years).  But other vets?

Harris I agree is not lazy, and so I should give him cred for that sort of leading by example.  But as others have noted Harris is also the middle linebacker, and I don't see much of what is needed leadership from him in that role.  The linebacker corps was supposed to be one where there was going to be addition by subtraction with Davis gone and an aging Pace in effect forced to retire.  Those moves leaving room for Mauldin to improve and the two rookies brought in.  It hasn't worked out that way.  Yes, Harris is the constant and that is a problem.

Revis used to lead by example, but he's less of an example now, too. 

Breno is probably the worst situation among the vets right now, though.  He's overpaid, he's not playing, he's not a vet leader, what does he add?  The FO probably wsa concerned that both of Qvale and Ijalana would not add up to a decent RT.  But at this point I don't know what they think Breno adds.

Clady I think has been quietly going about his job, and staying healthy.  Other than Marshall I think Clady is probably the vet mentioned above I like most right now.  Will they ask him to redo his contract?  Maybe, but he's not the first person by a long shot I would look at.

Revis stays. I don't think the Jets re-structure him. It would be nice if he agreed to a short term deal, less money, less guarantees, etc. But he won't. So the Jets keep him for 1 more year. That way, they can release him after 2017 when his dead money drops from 8mil to 1.6 and his salary drops from 15.3 to 10.8. It also gives them a bit more time to find another top CB and develop their secondary. 

Mangold stays. I see Mangold as a Jet for life. I think he wants to be here. I think, if anyone, he would take a cap friendly deal. I think he is still playing at a high level. And I think the Jets still really need him. 

Clady needs to stay. He has played great and stayed healthy. Jets have nobody to replace him. If anything, the Jets need to make sure they hold on to Clady. It's critical to have a vet, Pro Bowl caliber LT for a young QB (Hack, Petty). 

D.Harris needs to restructure or be released as a cap casualty. I think the Jets would not mind keeping him but at a much lower cap hit. But they may also just want to cut him and his 6.5 mil cap hit and sign a FA replacement. 

Breno is gone. This is the easiest decision to make. 

B.Marsh is a tough one. He's still very productive and a mismatch for almost any CB. He's still a very important part of this offense. I think you want to keep him around and see how Petty or Hack do with the dangerous Decker-B.Marsh duo. There's nobody who can really take his place. The Jets could release him and sign another top WR via FA, but it won't be cheap, it will cost more. B.Marsh is a point in his career where he probably won't ask for an insane contract. I think you re-sign him with front loaded guaranteed $ so the Jets can release him in a couple of years without taking on a lot of dead money. Kind of like what they did with Revis, but at a cheaper rate.

Macc is good at making these kind of deals where he brings in/back vet players that are critical to the core of the team without committing a lot of guaranteed money long term.    

Archived