Dennis Byrd dies in tragic car crash...

Mogglez

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

RIP Dennis, just terrible news.  So sad.

The accident was the fault of a 17 year old driver who drove in the wrong lane:

"The 17-year-old driver veered into the left lane while driving southbound on the highway, striking Byrd's vehicle, a collision report states."

http://www.tulsaworld.com/homepagelatest/former-jets-football-player-dies-after-collision-on-oklahoma-north/article_f73f4b24-1a50-58c2-9e9e-51c9b3a634dd.html

SAR I

4 minutes ago, SAR I said:

RIP Dennis, just terrible news.  So sad.

The accident was the fault of a 17 year old driver who drove in the wrong lane:

"The 17-year-old driver veered into the left lane while driving southbound on the highway, striking Byrd's vehicle, a collision report states."

http://www.tulsaworld.com/homepagelatest/former-jets-football-player-dies-after-collision-on-oklahoma-north/article_f73f4b24-1a50-58c2-9e9e-51c9b3a634dd.html

SAR I

Horrible.  Absolutely horrible.

Updated details:

A former NFL star was killed Saturday in a Rogers County crash.

OHP officials said Dennis Byrd was killed and two minors were injured in a crash Saturday in Rogers County.

A 17-year-old male driving a 2000 Ford Explorer traveled left of center and struck a 2004 Hummer H2. The teen was taken to the hospital with injuries to his head, trunk, arms and legs.

Byrd was driving the Hummer and pronounced dead at the scene.

A 12-year-old passenger of Byrd's vehicle was also taken to the hospital with multiple injuries.

Byrd played for the New York Jets from 1989-1992.

SAR I

The Byrd-Merserau collision was one of the formative experiences of my youth. I still remember the way they both collapsed onto the turf, the way Byrd went limp and bounced off Merserau's chest. It was instantly horrible and profound. Byrd was a billboard gorgeous dude, a really good player, and a really nice guy on what was an otherwise sh*tbag team, and watching him get carted off like that was the end of a bunch of good things the Jets had us believing they could be--not just on the field (because, come on), but on a grander scale. Like, we weren't supposed to have players like Byrd. He cared. He played hard. He wanted to win. He took pride in being there, in that ******* retarded uniform, in that ungrateful, booing, half-filled sh*thole stadium. Think about how many Jets you can say that about. How many Jets, in your lifetime, cared, that you could be proud of. I admired Byrd for his courage and positivity after the accident, and legitimately was in tears when he walked out to the 50 after all the work he put in to do it. It was the first time I witnessed someone who was a true believer get rewarded for being so. This news sucks. RIP, Byrd. 

17 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Updated details:

A former NFL star was killed Saturday in a Rogers County crash.

OHP officials said Dennis Byrd was killed and two minors were injured in a crash Saturday in Rogers County.

A 17-year-old male driving a 2000 Ford Explorer traveled left of center and struck a 2004 Hummer H2. The teen was taken to the hospital with injuries to his head, trunk, arms and legs.

Byrd was driving the Hummer and pronounced dead at the scene.

A 12-year-old passenger of Byrd's vehicle was also taken to the hospital with multiple injuries.

Byrd played for the New York Jets from 1989-1992.

SAR I

was the kid on drugs or alcohol?

My God I just read the news 5 minutes ago and my heart immediately sank. I was 13 when the incident happened and the name Dennis Byrd would forever be in my memory from that day forward. I'm not one for blind athlete worship but this one is really hard to take.

RIP Warrior.

I can't believe this, so sad and way too young.

I was at the game when he got hurt with my Father. I remember holding back tears that day. I remember praying for him after that and being so inspired by his recovery. I wasn't as successful in holding back the tears today, just unbelievably tragic.

Rest In Peace Dennis. Not sure why you were called home but you live an amazing life and were so inspirational to so many. I pray for you and I pray for your entire family. May God Bless always Dennis.

That sucks. A good man gone way too soon. Byrd was a man of deep faith. But when a guy so young with so much life left to live is taken, tell you, it causes doubt. Thing like this makes you wonder if there is some higher power, simply we're an accident of evolution.

May his passenger recover completely and his family find some solace. RIP. 

Archived