BIG Bowles Test Tonight

kevinc855

Tonight we will see what kind of HC Todd Bowles truly is. With a national audience and the Jets season on the line, we will see how Todd Bowles has prepared this team. Will they have an innovative offensive plan? Will the Defense scheme work well and bring pressure against Palmer? Will the Jets come out playing fast and hitting hard, with a sense of urgency. All these questions I laid out lay in coaching. I have defended Todd through this 1-4 start and am no way calling for him to be fired if we lose tonight. However I will learn a lot by the man by the way HIS TEAM plays tonight. If there is the lazy old Jets acting like they are at a scrimmage, with weird timeouts, drops, no sense of urgency and questionable play calling then consider my faith broken in Todd. As one of the most loyal Jet fans on this board who consistently seeks the positive I'm interested in seeing how they play tonight. I'm a believer but I'm also a realist, and need to see something from Todd tonight to continue to defend him and this team. We will see....................Lets go Jets!

10 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Tonight we will see what kind of HC Todd Bowles truly is. With a national audience and the Jets season on the line, we will see how Todd Bowles has prepared this team. Will they have an innovative offensive plan? Will the Defense scheme work well and bring pressure against Palmer? Will the Jets come out playing fast and hitting hard, with a sense of urgency. All these questions I laid out lay in coaching. I have defended Todd through this 1-4 start and am no way calling for him to be fired if we lose tonight. However I will learn a lot by the man by the way HIS TEAM plays tonight. If there is the lazy old Jets acting like they are at a scrimmage, with weird timeouts, drops, no sense of urgency and questionable play calling then consider my faith broken in Todd. As one of the most loyal Jet fans on this board who consistently seeks the positive I'm interested in seeing how they play tonight. I'm a believer but I'm also a realist, and need to see something from Todd tonight to continue to defend him and this team. We will see....................Lets go Jets!

This is what I'll be looking for the most.  They seem to be very lethargic and lack urgency.

4 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Really? They've played better in the first half than the second half this season. Under Rex it was the opposite

What does Rex have to do with it?  And who cares what half they are good in.  It seems to me they've been playing soft, lacking hustle, not finishing plays. Do you not see that?

It's certainly possible me being jaded has skewed my view point.

45 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

+1 This is a team Bowles knows well having been the DC in 2014..He should know and exploit any weakness that he knows may exist and the D should have a good day against a pocket guy like Palmer..

4 minutes ago, shawn306 said:

If the Jets don't get to Palmer who is basically a statue and is turning the ball over alot when pressured then they are dead.

Get back to Pounding the Rock and not throwing it all over the lot. 30+ carries to Forte tonight is a must.

I think Todd is scared to Blitz with how poorly his secondary has performed

I used to think that Bowles' sideways grimace on the sidelines during games was just his game day poker face. Now I realize it's his clueless face. Stupid timeouts, not going for two against the Bills when you're up 36-24 with a lot of time left in the 4q, not going for it on 4th and inches late in the game against the Steelers, etc. I realize every new HC needs a learning curve, but he has to speed up his or Fans will be calling for his head. What better team to do it against than his old team. If he can't come up with a competent game plan against them, he should be fired

I actually thought that Seattle and Pitt were the "show me what you got, Bowles" games. And we saw the results. I'm not big on moral victories, but considering the competition I would have been remotely satisfied with games that came down to the wire win or lose.

By now, as seen in Pittsburgh this team is planning off season vacations.

If he comes out trying to man up vs. the deep vertical speed, I'm going to lose my mind.  No team likes the long ball more than the Cardinals, if he can find a way to make Palmer have to think an extra second longer where to go with the ball while not losing coverage, our DL should be able to get home. Palmer is a statue.  

Then all you have to worry about is David Johnson running wild. And a ball hawking secondary but I wont get into that. 

41 minutes ago, August said:

Arizona has a good coach coming off a mini bye (played last Thursday) playing at home. I don't like our chances but anything is possible. 

I get the unhappiness with Bowles right now, but it's not all on him just like it's not all on Fitz.  Fact is the Cards may have had some hangover from losing the Champ Game last year.  But they've got a real running game, and Larry is still a great player, with Brown getting chunks of yards.  They've got a good NT.  They are playing at home.  Arians is a good HC.  I don't see the Jets winning this one, no matter how bad they need it.

26 minutes ago, shawn306 said:

If the Jets don't get to Palmer who is basically a statue and is turning the ball over alot when pressured then they are dead.

Get back to Pounding the Rock and not throwing it all over the lot. 30+ carries to Forte tonight is a must.

I kind of disagree. Sure, if the run is successful, keep running it. But I don't think the Jets will be able to run the ball effectively against Arizona. They will truly have to have a meticulously crafted game plan going up against this defense. They will have to throw the 'kitchen sink' at it, if you ask me. That includes taking shots deep, going over the middle, screens, spreading out the defense with 4 WR formations, getting Enunwa in motion, and of course, running the ball (which has to also include giving Forte opportunities to break it outside and fined lanes outside the tackles, not just running between the tackles for 2-3 yrds). That's not an easy task, but I think it's what they will need in order to put enough points on the board to get a win. 

As far as the defense. Well, it's the same problems we have been needing to fix all season. The Jets need to limit the big plays deep. It seems every game they get beat deep at least once for a TD. They have to limit the underneath passing game. It seems like every teams' 'go to' play is some sort of throw underneath to a TE, RB or WR on a slant. They have been good against the run, and that is simply b/c of the stout D-line with, essentially, a NT and 3 D-tackles. But you can't ignore D.Johnson as he has been shredding defenses all year.

Going up against Palmer, if the Jets secondary can step it up and force him to hold on to the ball a bit longer, the D-line should be able to collapse the pocket and get to him, or at worst, push the pocket and make him uncomfortable all game. That doesn't mean Bowles will get away without blitzing. You HAVE to blitz in this league and Bowles needs to start coming up with some better blitzing schemes that generate pressure. I say Bowles because I have completely lost faith in K.Rodgers and it's time for Bowles to start getting more involved in this defense.   

Huge task. A lot to ask of a struggling team but a great way to get out of this funk for the Jets is to go out and beat a good team on the road in a national televised game.

The level of urgency needs to be really high. The Jets need to look at this as a must win, a do or die game, even though its not.

Of course, I think the Jets can win this game, but if they lose this game in awful fashion there is potential at 1-5 for this team to implode. If they show up and play well but lose, it may be enough confidence for them to go on a run as the schedule eases up a bit. 

7 minutes ago, Big Blocker said:

I get the unhappiness with Bowles right now, but it's not all on him just like it's not all on Fitz.  Fact is the Cards may have had some hangover from losing the Champ Game last year.  But they've got a real running game, and Larry is still a great player, with Brown getting chunks of yards.  They've got a good NT.  They are playing at home.  Arians is a good HC.  I don't see the Jets winning this one, no matter how bad they need it.

And the Panthers are 1-5 is that a Bowl loss hangover??:)

13 minutes ago, JiF said:

If he comes out trying to man up vs. the deep vertical speed, I'm going to lose my mind.  No team likes the long ball more than the Cardinals, if he can find away to make Palmer have to think an extra second longer where to go with the ball while not losing coverage, our DL should be able to get home.  Palmer is a statue.  

Then all you have to worry about is David Johnson running will. And a ball hawking secondary but I wont get into that. 

Running the ball will lead to quick play action slants and swing routes. Nothing we have been able to cover.  The deep cover will break down but hopefully Palmer not able to extend the play with his legs will afford us a couple sacks.  Doesn't really matter if the offense can't put up more than 20 points. A defensive or special team Score would help but we all know that's not very likely. 

I want to be positive on this one tonight but.....

Peterson will be on Marshall tonight so Fitz best not stare down his receivers. I don't know if he's capable of that. He seems to get his pre snap reads and turns a blind eye to everything else that's going on. Peterson may neutralize Marshall which means Enunwa and the rookies need a big night.

Forte has not been good. I'd like to see more of Powell sharing the run game.

The D-Line needs to get to Palmer. They should have opportunity tonight considering Palmer's mobility but don't think that Ariens isn't prepared for pressure and will have alot of quick passes and play action early to set up the deep ball later.

Secondary....I don't know what to say other than they need to get their sh!T together. Fitzgerald may have a big night.

I think one of the biggest problems Bowles has had is 2nd half adjustments. One of the main  reasons the Jets stink in the 2nd half of each game IMO is his failure to do this. Our opponents have made 2nd half moves that eat the Jets up. Bowles continues to fail in this area. 

There's so much that needs to be fixed on this team. Cards are desperate for a win. They are home. Jets traditionally don't do well on the West coast.

If they pull this one out I may not make it to work tomorrow.

1 hour ago, Rangers9 said:

Basically the Jets have to prove they can win in the NFL this season. And Arizona has the same test. Both teams are beatable. 

I will be watching Rangers-Sharks / Indians - Blue Jays, F the loser Jets, we all know what is going to happen tonight. I think the Rangers could be pretty good this year. I was impressed with their first 2 games so far even in the loss to STL, they outplayed one of the NHL's elite on their rink.

5 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Running the ball will lead to quick play action slants and swing routes. Nothing we have been able to cover.  The deep cover will break down but hopefully Palmer not able to extend the play with his legs will afford us a couple sacks.  Doesn't really matter if the offense can't put up more than 20 points. A defensive or special team Score would help but we all know that's not very likely. 

Oh yeah, they've got to score at least 24pts tonight to win, probably more.

Fitz is going to have to be sharp tonight.  They're going to need to control the clock and not turn the ball over. 

4 minutes ago, ASH1962 said:

I will be watching Rangers-Sharks / Indians - Blue Jays, F the loser Jets, we all know what is going to happen tonight. I think the Rangers could be pretty good this year. I was impressed with their first 2 games so far even in the loss to STL, they outplayed one of the NHL's elite on their rink.

I watched parts of those games but I'm more into football and baseball right now. I think the Jets win tonight and I predict you will be watching the Jets. Come on, you know you will. :lol:

3 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

I watched parts of those games but I'm more into football and baseball right now. I think the Jets win tonight and I predict you will be watching the Jets. Come on, you know you will. :lol:

LOL you know me well....Yeah I enjoy reruns of the move "Titanic" which is what we will see tonight when the SS Bowltite sinks in the desert.

4 minutes ago, ASH1962 said:

LOL you know me well....Yeah I enjoy reruns of the move "Titanic" which is what we will see tonight when the SS Bowltite sinks in the desert.

I don't know you bro, but I know myself. And I'm a glutton for punishment. Over the years a lot of punishment. But I think we can compete tonight. Maybe our players are tired of mediocrity. It's been a very inconsistent season for a lot of teams. One week they play great and the next week they suck. 

1 minute ago, Rangers9 said:

I don't know you bro, but I know myself. And I'm a glutton for punishment. Over the years a lot of punishment. But I think we can compete tonight. Maybe our players are tired of meritocracy. It's been a very inconsistent season for a lot of teams. One week they play great and the next week they suck. 

When was the week we played great? The last time was 1998 I think

Archived