Jump to content

I think we saw enough of Geno. Time for petty


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

He's just as bad as I remember. Maybe worse. Start petty, who will suck as well but at least its a new suck

Give geno a full week as starter. Let Petty get ready. And go from there

Looks like Geno still hasn't found that pocket awareness.

8 hours ago, SAR I said:

  myherofitz_zpskqsrjojk.jpg

For all the crap we give Ryan Fitzpatrick, just look at Geno Smith's numbers.

SAR I

To be fair, Fitz numbers drop when he is trying to pull it out in 2 minute down by a ton. Also, the numbers are skewed by the INT with just 6 throws. I am NOT a fan of Geno, but it isn't a completely fair shot. Either way, he is not our future, time to move on.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The correct thing to do is to begin to set the job up for Petty to take over in a few weeks. Get him ready though, don't just throw him out there next week. Huge mistake. Let him practice for a few weeks and get some first team reps. In the meantime let Geno or Fitz play. Doesn't really matter at this point. But take some time before you go to Petty.

The season is basically over. Nobody cares if Fitz or even Geno can rally this team to 7 wins. It least if Petty goes in and plays well the fans, coaching staff, and players will have some hope for the future. It's the best the Jets can do at this point.

But make sure he's as ready as he can be before you put him in. Don't just throw him in there.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, August said:

Fine but then if (going by the logic) you are going to skip him for the 3rd stringer if the season is lost then why keep him? Can't be "not an awful option at backup" if you feel he needs to be skipped over without getting a chance.

 

 

 

We've been wondering the same thing since the Summer.  Geno is blocking Petty's path needlessly.  If Petty was too hurt to play for the first few weeks, he should have been placed on IR and come available Week 9.  Carrying 4 QB's was a sign of this regime not having a clue what they are doing. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Obrien2Toon said:

Give geno a full week as starter. Let Petty get ready.

And go to the nearest bar from there

Fixed. Im a huge WV fan and wanted Geno to do well.   Go from there?  I simply dont think he is NFL starting material.

Sort of like when your kid stops playing. At some point...  they hit their wall.  Geno, I think, hit his.  

Lets play him but it will just help us know he wasnt the answer.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jack48 said:

Keep Fitz, cut Geno, start Petty, dress Hack.   Geno is starting to run his mouth.  Things are bad enough.  Fitz is a backup, let's make him one.

Actually Geno was excellent in his post game interview, and none of the Jets took the bait and criticized Geno for wanting to get in the game. I do not think Geno is the answer, but cut Fitz today, and give Geno a couple starts with Petty as his backup. If he fails start Petty. It is literally the only logical thing to do at this point. Seeing Geno 25 points down is not the same as in a game where he has had a week to prepare and the offense is tailored to him. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Actually Geno was excellent in his post game interview, and none of the Jets took the bait and criticized Geno for wanting to get in the game. I do not think Geno is the answer, but cut Fitz today, and give Geno a couple starts with Petty as his backup. If he fails start Petty. It is literally the only logical thing to do at this point. Seeing Geno 25 points down is not the same as in a game where he has had a week to prepare and the offense is tailored to him. 

Geno is a whiney little bitch and shouldn't even be here anymore !!

  • Thumb Down 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

 

We've been wondering the same thing since the Summer.  Geno is blocking Petty's path needlessly.  If Petty was too hurt to play for the first few weeks, he should have been placed on IR and come available Week 9.  Carrying 4 QB's was a sign of this regime not having a clue what they are doing. 

Logically they should've cut Geno if going by the logic that they have no faith in Geno. Why keep him? Let Petty get Geno's reps in practice to help his development and Hackenberg would get all the 3rd string reps. 

  • Thumb Down 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd like to see Geno with a full weeks worth of practice reps.  Not thrown in the game when it was already over trying to make plays.

At this point, it should be the Geno show until Petty is ready.  They already wasted the season with the Fitz fiasco, at least salvage it now by treating the QB positoin the right way. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, no psls said:

Geno is a whiney little bitch and shouldn't even be here anymore !!

Geno's frustration is understandable. But Jets fans hatred of him is incredibly strong.. No arguing the fact that Geno is dramatically more talented than Fitz and teams will have to defend the Jets differently if he plays. Or if Petty does. Fitz should be cut today to send a message. Want to talk whiny bitch? Watch Fitz's douchbag post game interview where he has the balls to claim the only thing that matters is whether the teammates "believe in the QB". He is an arrogant talentless tool that is a cancer to this team. F*ck him. He is one of the worst things to ever happen to the Jets, setting us back 3 years. Fitz deserves the hate at this point, not our backup QBs

  • Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Obrien2Toon said:

Give geno a full week as starter. Let Petty get ready.

And go from there

This is 100% the formula.  There literally isnt a single question in its logic.  Which is why the Jets will do the exact opposite and keep trotting Fitz back out there because people like him.

This should be Geno's team till Petty is ready.  Fitz should be inactive on game days and sit with Hack so he can learn what not to be in the NFL.  He's a complete waste of a roster spot. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Actually Geno was excellent in his post game interview, and none of the Jets took the bait and criticized Geno for wanting to get in the game. I do not think Geno is the answer, but cut Fitz today, and give Geno a couple starts with Petty as his backup. If he fails start Petty. It is literally the only logical thing to do at this point. Seeing Geno 25 points down is not the same as in a game where he has had a week to prepare and the offense is tailored to him. 

This.  But it wont happen because our Head Coach is a ******* moron.  The Geno haters will poopoo the idea but it's 100% the right call.  

They have nothing to lose.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Actually Geno was excellent in his post game interview, and none of the Jets took the bait and criticized Geno for wanting to get in the game. I do not think Geno is the answer, but cut Fitz today, and give Geno a couple starts with Petty as his backup. If he fails start Petty. It is literally the only logical thing to do at this point. Seeing Geno 25 points down is not the same as in a game where he has had a week to prepare and the offense is tailored to him. 

That fumble was so Geno, though.  I do not care about a 4th an 11 interception too much.  I just wish this little demon wouldnot keep popping up when he is out there.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, JiF said:

This.  But it wont happen because our Head Coach is a ******* moron.  The Geno haters will poopoo the idea but it's 100% the right call.  

They have nothing to lose.  

I do think Bowles will want to go back to Fitz but the tone was much different and Gruden knew that Geno was going to come in last night if Fitz was terrible again. I suspect Bowles is not getting the support on keeping Fitz out there any more from Woody Mac and Gailey. But Bowles is uber stubborn.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, jack48 said:

That fumble was so Geno, though.  I do not care about a 4th an 11 interception too much.  I just wish this little demon wouldnot keep popping up when he is out there.

Fumble was bad, BUT he was in a situation where he had to try and make a play and the OL was beat badly. Impossible to judge him without giving him a game or 2 as the guy with a week to prepare, build some chemistry and have the offense tailored to him. He threw several really nice balls last night. Even the pick to be honest, it was just good situational football by Tyrann

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Geno's frustration is understandable. But Jets fans hatred of him is incredibly strong.. No arguing the fact that Geno is dramatically more talented than Fitz and teams will have to defend the Jets differently if he plays. Or if Petty does. Fitz should be cut today to send a message. Want to talk whiny bitch? Watch Fitz's douchbag post game interview where he has the balls to claim the only thing that matters is whether the teammates "believe in the QB". He is an arrogant talentless tool that is a cancer to this team. F*ck him. He is one of the worst things to ever happen to the Jets, setting us back 3 years. Fitz deserves the hate at this point, not our backup QBs

lol, I'm sorry... I have to laugh, you don't have to embellish Geno's skillset in order to make the case that Fitz is bad. Geno isn't good. He may be a refreshing alternative to Fitz, given the circumstances, but he's not talented. He's a terrible football player. 

Fitz is bad. He played average football the past 2 years, but this year he hit rock bottom. No reason to ever send him back out there. Geno isn't going to "fix" anything though. The defense is still going to be awful, and Geno is still going to be a turnover-prone QB, with no pocket-awareness. All we're doing is shifting the ways in which we fail around. 

Let's be clear about one thing, if Rex and Tanny/Idzik had used the ridiculous amount of time and resources they were given to find a QB, then Fitz never happens. None of this happens. 

Rex is the cause. Fitz is the effect. Geno is also the effect. 

Anyway, I don't need to be told who I can "hate on". I think they are 2 of the worst QBs in the league. I'll hate on both of them as I see fit. :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, johnnysd said:

Actually Geno was excellent in his post game interview, and none of the Jets took the bait and criticized Geno for wanting to get in the game. I do not think Geno is the answer, but cut Fitz today, and give Geno a couple starts with Petty as his backup. If he fails start Petty. It is literally the only logical thing to do at this point. Seeing Geno 25 points down is not the same as in a game where he has had a week to prepare and the offense is tailored to him. 

I keep reading this like we're supposed to give Geno something for winning the post-game interviews or like because he's an unprofessional tool there's surprise his colleagues aren't also.

 

49 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Fumble was bad, BUT he was in a situation where he had to try and make a play and the OL was beat badly. Impossible to judge him without giving him a game or 2 as the guy with a week to prepare, build some chemistry and have the offense tailored to him. He threw several really nice balls last night. Even the pick to be honest, it was just good situational football by Tyrann

This excuse reads like the best thing Geno could do in that moment was fumble the ball. 

  • Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, JiF said:

This.  But it wont happen because our Head Coach is a ******* moron.  The Geno haters will poopoo the idea but it's 100% the right call.  

They have nothing to lose.  

Nah, Geno should start next week, just to neutralize the situation. Petty hasn't practiced in over a month. He's only in year 2. I think letting him get ready and comfortable is ideal, then put him in. Petty has to get at least 4 starts, imo, so we can evaluate. 

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, JiF said:

I'd like to see Geno with a full weeks worth of practice reps.  Not thrown in the game when it was already over trying to make plays.

At this point, it should be the Geno show until Petty is ready.  They already wasted the season with the Fitz fiasco, at least salvage it now by treating the QB positoin the right way. 

dont look like that is going to happen though...

 

“It was like a relief pitcher if the starting pitcher isn’t doing it this game, this day, you put in a relief pitcher. Fitz will be back next week,” Bowles said.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, JetBlue said:

Because we were smart enough to realize they never should have signed him and said so.  

Yeah, this is what you Smith Fans are all about.  Told you so.  Well your boy sucked out there even worse.  Told you so, too. 

At least you're on board to start Petty.  That's I view a tactical question meaning when will he get enough practice in to throw him out there with an OL that can't do shyte right, and for that matter who are the receivers?  The week after the bye looks like a good candidate.  That's my vote.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Fumble was bad, BUT he was in a situation where he had to try and make a play and the OL was beat badly. Impossible to judge him without giving him a game or 2 as the guy with a week to prepare, build some chemistry and have the offense tailored to him. He threw several really nice balls last night. Even the pick to be honest, it was just good situational football by Tyrann

Geno has been publicly lobbying for the job for weeks now, undermining the coaching staff in the process, so one would assume that he'd have been "prepared" last night. He had a moment to change hearts and minds, and looked like the same stupid QB he showed himself to be for 2 years. He's not good.

He should be the bridge, for a game or so, from Fitz to Petty... but you guys really need to stop deluding yourselves with all the excuse-making.  This post is shameful.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Nah, Geno should start next week, just to neutralize the situation. Petty hasn't practiced in over a month. He's only in year 2. I think letting him get ready and comfortable is ideal, then put him in. Petty has to get at least 4 starts, imo, so we can evaluate. 

 

While you have certainly been on the Fitz side of the debate, I dont take you for someone who cant see how easy of a decision this is.  There isnt really any reason for discussion. It's that simple. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

There's alot wrong with this team from top to bottom but there has to be a QB change. Bowles will have to go through the progressions. Geno is next. He should start a game fresh and give him a game or 2 and see if he steps up or if it's same ol Geno. If he stinks then Petty should finish up the year. At that point it won't matter. Not that it matters at this point but Petty needs first team reps and Fitz should ride out the season on the bench. Fitz had his shot and proved he's not the answer to this team's QB disasters.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, whodeawhodat said:

dont look like that is going to happen though...

 

“It was like a relief pitcher if the starting pitcher isn’t doing it this game, this day, you put in a relief pitcher. Fitz will be back next week,” Bowles said.

I honestly dont think Todd Bowles is an intelligent man.  I know that's harsh and I'm not typically one to go there.  But legit, I dont think he's all there. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Actually Geno was excellent in his post game interview, and none of the Jets took the bait and criticized Geno for wanting to get in the game. I do not think Geno is the answer, but cut Fitz today, and give Geno a couple starts with Petty as his backup. If he fails start Petty. It is literally the only logical thing to do at this point. Seeing Geno 25 points down is not the same as in a game where he has had a week to prepare and the offense is tailored to him. 

You had me except for the "if he fails" part. If he does kinda well the Jets still aren't extending him. Put him in next week for only one reason: Petty has been too sloppy/rusty to start yet, and Bowles feels he simply can't leave Fitz in there. 

Look I think Fitz is awful, never wanted him re-signed as starter, and never bought into this fairytale "he gives us the best chance to win" idiocy. There was never a serious chance at the playoffs with him (absent exceeding 2015's miracle conditions), and we'd learn nothing that helps the team's future.

That said, the only thing I'm interested in now is the fastest route to seeing live a QB that the Jets are keeping in 2017. That's not Fitz and it's not Geno. If a few decent games from Geno delays Petty's entry by even 1 game, I'm against it. 

The time to start Geno in relief of Fitz was 3 weeks ago. Not in week 7, when it's really the next man up after him that's useful to see on the field (for better or worse).

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, JiF said:

While you have certainly been on the Fitz side of the debate, I dont take you for someone who cant see how easy of a decision this is.  There isnt really any reason for discussion. It's that simple. 

I've been on the logical side of the debate, more than anything else. Which is why I just agreed with you. I want what's best for this team. The veteran QB that just came off a personal best season, that the entire offense wanted back, was the logical choice. Now, logic says, start Geno to see what we have in him, declare the QB situation "open competition" and eventually lead to Petty getting real reps.

It's possible to agree that Geno should start next week, without manufacturing falsehoods about his skill level, or making excuses for his horrid play. I'm in that camp. He should start, but he's trash. Pure trash... but it would be irresponsible to put Fitz back out there, and forgo confirmation of Geno's ability, and the chance to use Geno as a segway to Petty.

Fitz should not take another snap for this team.

Once we start down this path, the imperative becomes identifying what's wrong with the defense.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Any QB needs time to find the receiver and throw.  The current Jets O-line is not giving that time to the QB so it won't matter who is back there.  Having said that I still would like to see someone other then Fitz start.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, SAR I said:

  myherofitz_zpskqsrjojk.jpg

For all the crap we give Ryan Fitzpatrick, just look at Geno Smith's numbers.

SAR I

Meh, not comparable.  One guy started the game with a chance to win it.  The other guy came in at mop up time.  Both suck.  Both have no future here.  But what happen last night has no bearing on that.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, MaxAF said:

There's alot wrong with this team from top to bottom but there has to be a QB change. Bowles will have to go through the progressions. Geno is next. He should start a game fresh and give him a game or 2 and see if he steps up or if it's same ol Geno. If he stinks then Petty should finish up the year. At that point it won't matter. Not that it matters at this point but Petty needs first team reps and Fitz should ride out the season on the bench. Fitz had his shot and proved he's not the answer to this team's QB disasters.

I agree with this. Give Geno one final shot, if he shows you something then fine you make a decision in the off-season. If he sucks you move on to Petty. What Bowles is doing is flat out irresponsible.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Geno proved 100% for sure once again that he is what he is and will never change.  Looks just great his 1st few throws, looks like a real Qb then is unaware of the pressure for a strip sack and then throws a pic moments later.  The player is so damn frustrating because when he is not playing brain dead he looks good.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Starting smith at this point actually has little value to the Jets.  

He won't be back next year.  I'm sure he doesn't want to be back, and the CS/FO has made it pretty clear they don't want him back.

Petty has only had 2 days practice in the last 6 weeks.  Not a good idea to start him next week.  IMO if the Jets are smart they give Fitz one more start against the Ravens, also give Petty one more  week to get caught up.    The following week the Bryce Petty era should begin.

By the end of the season Fitz will be gone, smith will be gone, and they will have a good feel if Petty has anything worth being hopeful about.  if not.............Move on 

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...