I think we saw enough of Geno. Time for petty

funaz

10 hours ago, Obrien2Toon said:

Give geno a full week as starter. Let Petty get ready.

And go from there

I've watched the "Geno is the starter" movie before.  I'll pass on watching it again.  You have to play Petty or Hackenberg.  Since Hackenberg probably isn't ready, let's see Petty.  Starting Geno does NOTHING for the team.  He's not the long term answer here.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Starting smith at this point actually has little value to the Jets.  

He won't be back next year.  I'm sure he doesn't want to be back, and the CS/FO has made it pretty clear they don't want him back.

Petty has only had 2 days practice in the last 6 weeks.  Not a good idea to start him next week.  IMO if the Jets are smart they give Fitz one more start against the Ravens, also give Petty one more  week to get caught up.    The following week the Bryce Petty era should begin.

By the end of the season Fitz will be gone, smith will be gone, and they will have a good feel if Petty has anything worth being hopeful about.  if not.............Move on 

I can live with this...  it may be more fair to Petty to give him another week.

44 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Fumble was bad, BUT he was in a situation where he had to try and make a play and the OL was beat badly. Impossible to judge him without giving him a game or 2 as the guy with a week to prepare, build some chemistry and have the offense tailored to him. He threw several really nice balls last night. Even the pick to be honest, it was just good situational football by Tyrann

Geno can actually throw a very nice ball. It is his pocket presence and wh he throws the ball to that really is the issue

50 minutes ago, JiF said:

This.  But it wont happen because our Head Coach is a ******* moron.  The Geno haters will poopoo the idea but it's 100% the right call.  

They have nothing to lose.  

It's true from a pure football standpoint but our situation is far from pure. Let's say Geno lights it up and plays great? Do you think we sign him next year to a multi year deal?  With the history here? This situation has been handle beyond bad by this administration.    No right answer. Just SOJ

10 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

It's true from a pure football standpoint but our situation is far from pure. Let's say Geno lights it up and plays great? Do you think we sign him next year to a multi year deal?  With the history here? This situation has been handle beyond bad by this administration.    No right answer. Just SOJ

Oh yeah, Todd Bowles ****ed this team on Jan 16th when he proclaimed Fitz the starter of the New York Jets for 2016 while he wasnt even under contract.  Or you could really point to where he decided to stick with Fitz last year too but I digress. 

It was all down hill from there.  This should have been the season of Geno and Bryce.  Instead, it was a total waste and it has now set the franchise back and it sounds like we're only about to get even more stuck because Bowles is a ****tard. 

17 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Geno proved 100% for sure once again that he is what he is and will never change.  Looks just great his 1st few throws, looks like a real Qb then is unaware of the pressure for a strip sack and then throws a pic moments later.  The player is so damn frustrating because when he is not playing brain dead he looks good.

Exact same Geno we've seen for the past several years. No awareness and completely crumbles once any pressure is applied. This OL can't give him the space he needs to play the position. Not sure any OL out there can give him what he needs, but this one definitely can't.

If Fitz starts next week the coaching staff are fools. I'd rather see Micky Mouse out there than Fitz next week. But I'll take Geno for now. Got to make the change!!!  Fitz has 11 INT's and 5 TD's this season. In the last 3 games they have scored an average of 2.3 points/game in the second half. Last in the NFL. They have averaged 1.2 points/game in the 3rd quarter. Are these coaches living in a vacuum? I don't care how good or sh!tty a coach you are. You make a change. It's not working. It's the elephant in the locker room.  Bowles said Geno was the relief pitcher for the game last night. Maybe he should try and coach baseball because he is embarrassing himself sticking with Fitz.

4 minutes ago, JiF said:

Oh yeah, Todd Bowles ****ed this team on Jan 16th when he proclaimed Fitz the starter of the New York Jets for 2016 while he wasnt even under contract.  Or you could really point to where he decided to stick with Fitz last year too but I digress. 

It was all down hill from there.  This should have been the season of Geno and Bryce.  Instead, it was a total waste and it has now set the franchise back and it sounds like we're only about to get even more stuck because Bowles is a ****tard. 

Todd Blowes. 

Geno is the backup. Like it or not he is a better option than Petty or Hack. He deserves more of a chance than going into a game with a team looking already defeated down by over 20 points in the 4th quarter. He deserves better than that with what he has put up with and what he has put in last season and this offseason watching from the sidelines.

Geno will play until its obvious he's not any good and the Jets are still losing games. Maybe they give him a shot until the Jets are mathematically out of contention. Petty will be the backup- so he WILL play of Geno gets hurt. And we may see Hack the last few games if the season is completely over with no hope of salvaging it.   JMHO

Until the bald gnome sells this team, and a focused, business and football savvy ownership/management team assumes control, there is no hope for this franchise

Frankly, I cringe when I see this little man hanging around the team in the locker room after games or on the field during presentations to honor the likes of the late Jets great Dennis Byrd, or dragging the Jets name by association into the political arena (with those inappropriate fund raising efforts of his: memo to Woody, keep politics out of it, please), or embarrassing us with his lamentable family antics over the years.

My take on this guy is that he is a complete lightweight. It's as if he is a little insecure Richie Rich kinda guy who has pumped himself at our expense for over a decade and a half, thanks to granddaddy's money, by trying to feed his ego with some kind of parasitical reflected glory from the armies of athletes and mostly inept coaches he had hired over the years to fulfill his championship fantasies, which IMHO will never be realized.

We aren't really allowed to talk about this, here, in an open way, as I just have (and will probably get banned or something for this post), for fear of internecine warfare breaking out, and Jetnation maybe suffering as a bulletin board from all the subsequent insults and recriminations, so I will leave it at this: Woody has far too many limitations in terms of natural or acquired football aptitude for the Jets ever to become a successful franchise under his ownership. Period.

If he has not learned anything useful about constructing winning football teams by now, he never will -- not at his advanced age. After 16 years of unequivocal failure (bar a couple of seasons under Rex), Woody should try to find something that he is actually good at doing, whatever that may be: like being a shill for deeply unpleasant political candidates. But then again, Woody is not about to change at this late stage in life.

In his defense, you can say that his $600 (give or take) million investment in the Jets, which on paper has appreciated at around a 6 to 10 per cent clip annually, makes him a smart business man -- until you realize that any one of us here, with $600 million in spare change from some inheritance, would have accomplished exactly the same result. As a football owner, whether you are talking about stadium strategy, management hires, and player decisions, Woody has probably made ever possible bone-headed unfortunate mistake there is to make, and yet this team is still worth over 3 times his initial investment during these deeply inflationary times.

Woody as an owner brings nothing to the table except a checkbook, If he truly were a real Jets fan, the way most of us here are, especially those of us who have been Jets fans for a very long time, as I (and many others here) have, he should step aside and sell the team to dynamic younger ownership that will take the aggressive steps necessary to start from scratch and completely rebuild this sorry franchise from top to bottom over a period of 3 - 4 years, this in order to become a legitimate contender.

But Woody will never sell, unless NFL viewership starts to dip to levels where his investment begins to hemorrhage value (unlikely) and /or season ticket holders start to punish him in a serious way (equally unlikely). In the meantime, some us will remain stuck with watching the inferior sports entertainment product this clueless doofus has produced for over a decade and a half (for the most part), while others, such as myself, who like to watch quality football, will avail themselves of other options, thanks to Direct TV.

If players can move from team to team, without thinking twice about it, why can't we? The nature of football has completely changed since the days when Namath played, although fan loyalty has remained mostly a constant -- which is what allows clueless football owners such as Woody to hang on to their franchises.

When I started watching this team, being a Jets fan meant you were an AFL rebel against the hidebound, boring NFL. That vision is what an owner like Sonny Werblin brought to the table as a (part) owner. I don't remember seeing Woody anywhere near Shea stadium in those years, so I doubt he has the remotest idea of what I'm talking about, or what it means to be a forward looking football owner who gets the job done.

Cash out, man. You won't be missed.

9 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Your trolling has become seriously tiresome. Fitz is complete shiit. Geno was brought into a no win situation yer you want to defend the weakest armed and least accurate POS QB in the NFL.

You realize I troll Geno trolls, right?  There are a few of us, we neutralize the place from Myhero's.  It's not like we can just let them get away with their nonsense, it requires counter-trollism.

SAR I

The amazing thing was how just a handful of plays gave us the entire spectrum of Geno -- live arm, athletic ability, mindless throws, lack of awareness and apparently zero football smarts.  The condensed stench was overpowering.  No need whatsoever for any Geno appearances going forward.

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

You had me except for the "if he fails" part. If he does kinda well the Jets still aren't extending him. Put him in next week for only one reason: Petty has been too sloppy/rusty to start yet, and Bowles feels he simply can't leave Fitz in there. 

Look I think Fitz is awful, never wanted him re-signed as starter, and never bought into this fairytale "he gives us the best chance to win" idiocy. There was never a serious chance at the playoffs with him (absent 2015's miracle conditions), and we'd learn nothing that helps the team's future.

That said, the only thing I'm interested in now is he fastest route to seeing live a QB that the Jets are keeping in 2017. That's not Fitz and it's not Geno. If a few decent games from Geno delays Petty's entry by even 1 game, I'm against it. 

The time to start Geno in relief of Fitz was 3 weeks ago. Not in week 7, when it's really the next man up after him that's useful to see on the field (for better or worse).

So what happens if you start Petty right away and he's horribly rusty , do you give up on him and then start Hack . You give Geno  2-3 games and see what happens  , it also gives Petty time to get more practice reps and for the CS to start game planning to Petty's strengths. Worst/Best case scenario Geno lights it up and he's resigned here next year to compete with Petty & Hack.

2 hours ago, bostonmajet said:

To be fair, Fitz numbers drop when he is trying to pull it out in 2 minute down by a ton. Also, the numbers are skewed by the INT with just 6 throws. I am NOT a fan of Geno, but it isn't a completely fair shot. Either way, he is not our future, time to move on.

Of course.  Geno's numbers just made for a convenient counter-troll measure against the Geno trolls.

I think all this stuff ends soon anyway.  One would think the Geno trolls will mind their manners now that he's been exposed as the fraud the rest of us always knew he was.

SAR I

1 hour ago, The Crusher said:

Meh, not comparable.  One guy started the game with a chance to win it.  The other guy came in at mop up time.  Both suck.  Both have no future here.  But what happen last night has no bearing on that.  

Agreed.

SAR I

46 minutes ago, FlaJetsFan said:

Until the bald gnome sells this team, and a focused, business and football savvy ownership/management team assumes control, there is no hope for this franchise

Frankly, I cringe when I see this little man hanging around the team in the locker room after games or on the field during presentations to honor the likes of the late Jets great Dennis Byrd, or dragging the Jets name by association into the political arena (with those inappropriate fund raising efforts of his: memo to Woody, keep politics out of it, please), or embarrassing us with his lamentable family antics over the years.

My take on this guy is that he is a complete lightweight. It's as if he is a little insecure Richie Rich kinda guy who has pumped himself at our expense for over a decade and a half, thanks to granddaddy's money, by trying to feed his ego with some kind of parasitical reflected glory from the armies of athletes and mostly inept coaches he had hired over the years to fulfill his championship fantasies, which IMHO will never be realized.

We aren't really allowed to talk about this, here, in an open way, as I just have (and will probably get banned or something for this post), for fear of internecine warfare breaking out, and Jetnation maybe suffering as a bulletin board from all the subsequent insults and recriminations, so I will leave it at this: Woody has far too many limitations in terms of natural or acquired football aptitude for the Jets ever to become a successful franchise under his ownership. Period.

If he has not learned anything useful about constructing winning football teams by now, he never will -- not at his advanced age. After 16 years of unequivocal failure (bar a couple of seasons under Rex), Woody should try to find something that he is actually good at doing, whatever that may be: like being a shill for deeply unpleasant political candidates. But then again, Woody is not about to change at this late stage in life.

In his defense, you can say that his $600 (give or take) million investment in the Jets, which on paper has appreciated at around a 6 to 10 per cent clip annually, makes him a smart business man -- until you realize that any one of us here, with $600 million in spare change from some inheritance, would have accomplished exactly the same result. As a football owner, whether you are talking about stadium strategy, management hires, and player decisions, Woody has probably made ever possible bone-headed unfortunate mistake there is to make, and yet this team is still worth over 3 times his initial investment during these deeply inflationary times.

Woody as an owner brings nothing to the table except a checkbook, If he truly were a real Jets fan, the way most of us here are, especially those of us who have been Jets fans for a very long time, as I (and many others here) have, he should step aside and sell the team to dynamic younger ownership that will take the aggressive steps necessary to start from scratch and completely rebuild this sorry franchise from top to bottom over a period of 3 - 4 years, this in order to become a legitimate contender.

But Woody will never sell, unless NFL viewership starts to dip to levels where his investment begins to hemorrhage value (unlikely) and /or season ticket holders start to punish him in a serious way (equally unlikely). In the meantime, some us will remain stuck with watching the inferior sports entertainment product this clueless doofus has produced for over a decade and a half (for the most part), while others, such as myself, who like to watch quality football, will avail themselves of other options, thanks to Direct TV.

If players can move from team to team, without thinking twice about it, why can't we? The nature of football has completely changed since the days when Namath played, although fan loyalty has remained mostly a constant -- which is what allows clueless football owners such as Woody to hang on to their franchises.

When I started watching this team, being a Jets fan meant you were an AFL rebel against the hidebound, boring NFL. That vision is what an owner like Sonny Werblin brought to the table as a (part) owner. I don't remember seeing Woody anywhere near Shea stadium in those years, so I doubt he has the remotest idea of what I'm talking about, or what it means to be a forward looking football owner who gets the job done.

When your owner says He would rather have a candidate become President of the US  than his team win the Super Bowl, you don't really have an owner. Agree with you 100%.

I am at a bigger loss as to how anyone in their right mind wants to start Geno. What possible reason do we start Geno who is going to walk at the end the year.

It's ridiculous to even suggest. Geno is by far the worst wb weve had in 30 years.

Get petty and hack in there

Sent from mTalk

6 hours ago, FlaJetsFan said:

I unfortunately agree with this post.  I have had this feeling for years, and I will say a feeling that fits with my perception of what is going on, that the Jets will never win a VLT as long as Woody is the owner.  Never will.

I also agree with your AFL point.  That carried forward for decades, but as of now I think it is dead.  So the franchise no longer has that to its credit either, Joe Namath on ESPN last night not to the contrary.

For myself I have not made any decisions on the being a Jet fan part, other than that I am really considering it.  With Woody the owner it's hard to feel good about fandom for this team.  It's not just his inherited wealth and lack of personal accomplishment.  Although those are significant.  It's the lack of faith in him going forward.

The league is having issues in general, but I still love the game.  Maybe the answer in the short run is to watch more of the national games, at least the competitive ones.

4 hours ago, funaz said:

I am at a bigger loss as to how anyone in their right mind wants to start Geno. What possible reason do we start Geno who is going to walk at the end the year.

It's ridiculous to even suggest. Geno is by far the worst wb weve had in 30 years.

Get petty and hack in there

Sent from mTalk

I guess the same reason why anyone thought Ryan Fitzpatrick was an NFL QB and would help this team.

6 hours ago, JiF said:

You are dead wrong.

It was January 4th.

6 hours ago, 56mehl56 said:

So what happens if you start Petty right away and he's horribly rusty , do you give up on him and then start Hack . You give Geno  2-3 games and see what happens  , it also gives Petty time to get more practice reps and for the CS to start game planning to Petty's strengths. Worst/Best case scenario Geno lights it up and he's resigned here next year to compete with Petty & Hack.

I already said, if he's horribly rusty you give Fitz one more week. I don't want to see Geno steal 2-5 of his starts so we enter 2017 with the same questions about Petty we had entering 2016. Find out whether he's good, bad, or isn't truly good yet but has real promise.

Geno is not re-signing here. It will never happen. Never. Either he will perform so poorly the team simply doesn't want him anymore, or he will perform well enough to test the free agency waters but not well enough for the team to franchise tag him. Literally the only way he re-signs is if he is franchised, which would require him getting the nod and, for the next 10 starts he looks like a lighter-footed, regular season Peyton Manning. 

Archived