Should we start making trades?

Shadetree

2 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Trades rarely happen but I'd def be up for trading Sheldon.  I'm sure we'll get pennies on the dollar though.  Not that I know of course but it feels like that situation was completely mishandled.

The SNY guys made two points last night that I think were legit. 1) Geno starts rest of year, with Petty #2   2)Formally switch to 4-3 so Sheldon plays to his strengths.

Just now, section314 said:

The SNY guys made two points last night that I think were legit. 1) Geno starts rest of year, with Petty #2   2)Formally switch to 4-3 so Sheldon plays to his strengths.

Both of those are bad ideas. I won't get into the QB thing because there are plenty of threads for that and it's obvious how it should be handled. Sheldon was at his best as a 3-4 DE. The 4-3 is basically what they're playing now and it doesn't benefit any of the DL to be running that as a defense. It all goes back to roster mismanagement by Mac. The linebackers aren't good enough no matter the style of defense, so it only makes sense to play to the DL strength and revert to the 3-4 and stop messing around with sheldon at any position besides DE. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Both of those are bad ideas. I won't get into the QB thing because there are plenty of threads for that and it's obvious how it should be handled. Sheldon was at his best as a 3-4 DE. The 4-3 is basically what they're playing now and it doesn't benefit any of the DL to be running that as a defense. It all goes back to roster mismanagement by Mac. The linebackers aren't good enough no matter the style of defense, so it only makes sense to play to the DL strength and revert to the 3-4 and stop messing around with sheldon at any position besides DE. 

So who sits, McClendon?

Just now, section314 said:

So who sits, McClendon?

No. He would be the NT. You rotate the others at the two DE spots. I mean if they're going to play Sheldon at MLB or OLB, he may as well not even be on the field. Rotating the lineman is the only way to make this defense work. They made it work last year. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, section314 said:

I saw that and agreed with both points. Moving Sheldon to ilb was perhaps the dumbest coaching decision that Bowles has made so far, and he's made some very dumb ones already this year. 

2 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

No. He would be the NT. You rotate the others at the two DE spots. I mean if they're going to play Sheldon at MLB or OLB, he may as well not even be on the field. Rotating the lineman is the only way to make this defense work. They made it work last year. 

That's assuming the Jets stick with the nonsensical 3-4 base, which they don't even have the players to make work

I agree. You play McLendon and for run D and you rotate in Sheldon situationally. And yes, you stay open to the possibility of trading him.

good point.

last year, they got away with it. I honestly don't know how this defense could work at all. they have 4 defensive tackles and no linebackers. I agree, they play a lot, if not mostly a 4 man front. I also agree that they need to go back to a standard 3 man front and rotate the defensive ends. the jets are much, much more suited to play a 3-4. going to a 4-3( or continuing to play in 4-3 alignments) is the definition of square peg-round hole. they should have traded Wilkerson and then after sheldons 5th year option, should be looking to trade him as well. if they did this, they would have 3 drafts too find both defensive ends replacement, saved a bunch of cash, wouldnt have the square peg-round hole problem, not to mention an early draft pick or 2.

3 hours ago, SR24 said:

If Bowles is going to keep playing Sheldon at LB then trade him. He's our best player hopefully we can find a way to keep him. Team needs to switch to a 4-3 and let the strength of our defense do damage 

And people talked about Rex's wacky ideas and playing guys out of position and stuff...

• Upvote 1

Just now, joewilly12 said:

We draft poorly its the main reason why we arent that good. 

I agree. Though I think the last two drafts were an improvement. Still there are only around 12 guys on this team that were on the team in 2014. That says volumes about what they had to start with.

2 minutes ago, RSJ said:

I agree. Though I think the last two drafts were an improvement. Still there are only around 12 guys on this team that were on the team in 2014. That says volumes about what they had to start with.

Way too many 1st and 2nd round busts payers that should be helping this team win games we can probably field a team of 1st round draft picks no longer with the team. 

Just now, joewilly12 said:

Way too many 1st and 2nd round busts payers that should be helping this team win games we can probably field a team of 1st round draft picks no longer with the team. 

I agree. I think there are 12 players from the 2014 roster that are still on the team. That is pathetic.