Jets Passing Offense Film Review – Week 6 (Cardinals) Bad Magic

JetNation

week-6-fitzpatrick-bad-magic-12

Ryan Fitzpatrick did not have a good game against the Cardinals, and was promptly benched in the fourth quarter.  We have found out now that Geno Smith will be the starter for the next game against the Ravens.  While Fitzpatrick did make some good throws, as we alluded to in the Fitzmagic article, he was not able to lead the offense to consistent points.  Let’s examine some of the bad throws:

Bad Magic:

1) week-6-fitzpatrick-bad-magic-1

The defense comes out in a single high safety look, while the Jets counter with four receivers and a running back out of the backfield.  The first problem of this play is that Fitzpatrick is staring down Charone Peake the entire time on this pass,  The second aspect is that Fitzpatrick steps right into the defensive line causing him to get hit.  By moving up, he ran right into the defensive line.  It’s probably a good thing this throw is off line, because the line backer Deone Bucannon is reading Fitzpatrick’s eyes the whole way and waiting to jump the route.  Notice Robby Anderson to the right of the formation running deep with a step on his defender as well, but he’s completely ignored.

2) week-6-fitzpatrick-bad-magic-2

If you felt Robby Anderson wasn’t open enough on the last play to take a shot down the field, he widened the gap this time.  The only problem is that Fitzpatrick has decided to throw this ball to Brandon Marshall from the onset of this play.  Marshall is well covered on this play, especially because the corner has safety help over the top, and the ball isn’t anywhere near Marshall to catch.  This is just a horrible read and throw by Fitzpatrick.  The Cardinals did switch to a two deep safety look at the last minute, so the read was correct in going to the right side of the formation.  However, both Charone Peake (short) and Robby Anderson (deep) were open on this play, yet Fitzpatrick picked the worst option.

3) week-6-fitzpatrick-bad-magic-3

If the Steelers had drafted Robby Anderson, he might be a star by now.  He gets behind the defense again, although this time it’s still decent coverage.  However, this is a third and six play, so Fitzpatrick does choose wisely to take the shorter route for a completion and conversion.  However, this is just a horrible throw on the run.  Again, Fitzpatrick is locked into Marshall the entire way, but Brandon does a good job of getting open.  Unfortunately, Fitzpatrick throws this pass at the ground essentially, leading to an incomplete pass.  This is just a horrible throw, and on the outside, Charone Peake is open as well for a brief period.

4) week-6-fitzpatrick-bad-magic-4

The person most happy about the Fitzpatrick benching has to be Robby Anderson.  The Cardinals are playing about seven yards off the line with Anderson on this play, and he still runs by the defender.  He’s about to be two steps out in front of the defender, when Fitzpatrick under throws this pass to the defensive back’s helmet.  While Anderson does get his hands on the ball, this is a pass that has to go further and lead the receiver.  This is probably one of the biggest reasons why teams don’t respect the deep pass against the Jets this year because Fitzpatrick has consistently failed to connect on these passes.

5) week-6-fitzpatrick-bad-magic-5

This is a third and one play in the second quarter, and Fitzpatrick essentially gives away the audible by motioning to Brandon Marshall on this play.  As soon as Fitzpatrick communicated with Marshall, the linebackers pointed it out, and then proceeded to run after Forte on this pass.  Also, notice the cluster of defenders in the area, which means that getting someone open to the right of the formation has less probability.  The pre-snap read on this play shows that the defender on Enunwa is a good six yards off the line of scrimmage, so a quick pass there is an almost guaranteed completion.  This is just a bad job by Fitzpatrick reading the defense before the snap, and then a low throw as well from him.  Forte doesn’t do him any favors by not catching this pass, but he wasn’t going anywhere even if he caught it.   On most third down and short plays, the defense is expecting a run, so it’s understandable to go away from the play as a form of surprise.  However, since the defense is expecting a run, they are most likely dedicating at least one person to defend the running back, which reduces the effectiveness of a screen pass.

6) week-6-fitzpatrick-bad-magic-6

This is a false start penalty on a QB from the shotgun.  How often does it happen?  8 times total for false starts from the QB last year in the entire league?  5 times the year before.  These numbers don’t differentiate between shotgun or under center snaps. Why is Fitzpatrick backing out before even getting the ball?

7) week-6-fitzpatrick-bad-magic-7

Fitzpatrick tries to get the ball to Robby Anderson, and fails again.  This is another play, where the pass is just predetermined from the onset.  While it looks like Anderson stopped on the play, he is going to be pushed out of bounds, so he slows down to stay on the field, but by then the ball is in the air.  This is the drive before the half, trying to get into field goal range.  The pass to Peake was available on this play with good timing, but Fitzpatrick goes for the deep pass and is lucky it’s not intercepted.  This isn’t even a play where Fitzpatrick is pressured into making a quick decision as he has a clean pocket to work with.   Unfortunately, this is one of the downsides of having a weak arm, because you have to make up your mind earlier about throwing this ball.  For a stronger armed QB, they have the luxury of waiting to see if the route develops just a bit further.

8) week-6-fitzpatrick-bad-magic-8

This is another play, while trying to get into field goal range at the end of the half.  This is just a wild throw, as it doesn’t matter if Peake makes a clean turn to the outside, because the ball is about seven foot above his head.  The sad part about this play is that Brandon Marshall is working his way open across the middle but the Jets were out of time outs (partially because of the injury to Carpenter).  This has to be a better throw from Fitzpatrick, because this gives no shot to the receiver on this play.

9) week-6-fitzpatrick-bad-magic-10

The Jets have five receivers and the Cardinals rush four guys on this play.  Notice Brandon Marshall on the right side of the formation, and how far back the defender is playing him.  Fitzpatrick exits the pocket to the side, has a wide open Brandon Marshall, and elects to try to throw it into traffic with Charone Peake, who proceeds to get lit up by one of the defenders.  There was a wide open option, directly in the path of Fitzpatrick, and he decided to ignore it.

10)  week-6-fitzpatrick-bad-magic-11

This is a good read, good anticipation, but a bad throw.  For as open as Jalin Marshall is on this play, you have to complete this pass.  Fitzpatrick throws this ball high and Marshall can’t bring it in.  This is just a missed throw by Fitzpatrick.

11) week-6-fitzpatrick-bad-magic-12

Quite possibly the last pass of Fitzpatrick’s Jets career, and it is an interception.  This is a third and seven play, so the Jets need to get to where Robby Anderson is standing wide open on this play to convert a first down.  However, Fitzpatrick is locked into Marshall on this play and the safety reads his eyes.  Notice how the safety jumps the route for Fitzpatrick even before Brandon Marshall runs the route.  Even Jalin Marshall is open in the back of the end zone but Fitzpatrick decides to ignore the option for Brandon Marshall.  This play pretty much captures Ryan Fitzpatrick, locking into receivers, safeties reading his eyes, and because his star wide receiver can’t bail him out, an interception.

Conclusion:

Another bad performance by Ryan Fitzpatrick, and he was rightfully benched.  The offense looked lost under his guidance and made far too many mistakes.  If you go by pre-snap reads, there were plenty of opportunities to gain yardage in this game but the Jets refused to take advantage.

Fitzpatrick Grade: D

Forum Questions:

A)  Since Geno Smith is starting now, what should the name for bad Geno plays be called, similar to Bad Magic?

B)  How many yards does Robby Anderson have next week?

C)  Why do you think Enunwa has regressed?

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
mTWdmnRhv-8

Click here to read the full story...

Thanks bro. I just cannot imagine how difficult this is to do. Particularly seeing how bad your favorite team is. Your effort here is once again most appreciated.

Robby Anderson will get over 70 yards this week as Geno can make the deep pass. His feet move so much more quickly than the defenders. 

The Q is doing very well when targeted. It is unfortunate that Fitz peers onto BM and forgets about everyone else. It almost seems like Fitz does not know where his WR's are to be located on the plays. I certainly don't want to think that. 

Very happy that Fitz is benched now. Once Petty gets healthy he should be cut. Let these young men play QB.

@win4ever thanks again.  You know I love these.  It shows that Gailey outside of a few stupid shovel pass calls in a couple of games, has really has been solid this year.  WR's open everywhere!  I really dont get it.  How can someone go from having a career year to literally some of the worst QB play I've ever seen.  And this dude has been in the league 12 years!!!

A. I'm not good with nicknames.  Ge-No! throws?  

B. Who knows?  It's not like anyone really knows what they're going to get from Geno.  I think we know Anderson will be open.  He's open every single game.  Balt. is actually pretty good vs. the pass but they have let up a few long balls.  I think they have 2 75+ yards passes on the year vs. them.  I'd love to see Robbie break out this game.  It's clear on the film, the kids has the goods...he can get open, no matter what coverage he's seeing.

C. This is the problem with having Fitz as your QB...has Q really regressed?  Or is it that he's not an easy read anymore with Decker out so it requires Fitz to actually go through progressions, which clearly he's not capable of doing.  2 or 3 plays in this thread showed Q, wide open and the ball went elsewhere (more than likely the place that Fitz decided he was  going to throw in the huddle).

3 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

the encouraging thing is that these young guys are getting open.  devin smith will also benefit once petty and hack are there.  

Yup.  Looking forward to seeing what the offense can do with an NFL caliber QB over the next few weeks.  The whole field will be available.

On the surface it directly benefits the speed guys, but it's gonna go much further than that.  Marshall, Quincy and potentially even Jenkins will have much room in the middle.  And ultimately it should be Forte and Powell who benefit most.

Minus Fitz, the offense can still be great.

Which will then make like much easier on the defense.

It's about time we have something to cheer for.  May take a few weeks for Geno, Gailey and the guys to adjust, but things are looking up.

1 hour ago, Mike135 said:

Yup.  Looking forward to seeing what the offense can do with an NFL caliber QB over the next few weeks.  The whole field will be available.

On the surface it directly benefits the speed guys, but it's gonna go much further than that.  Marshall, Quincy and potentially even Jenkins will have much room in the middle.  And ultimately it should be Forte and Powell who benefit most.

It's about time we have something to cheer for.  May take a few weeks for Geno, Gailey and the guys to adjust, but things are looking up.

Can we see how Geno does before we declare him an NFL caliber QB? Nothing he has done to date qualifies him as that. I mean, yeah, we all hope he really is, but until he shows it, he hasn't.

8 minutes ago, Cap'nObvious said:

Can we see how Geno does before we declare him an NFL caliber QB? Nothing he has done to date qualifies him as that. I mean, yeah, we all hope he really is, but until he shows it, he hasn't.

Fair enough.  Maybe it would have been better to say "NFL caliber arm".

6 minutes ago, Cap'nObvious said:

Yes, he definitely has that, he throws a great ball. But there are plenty of QB's who have NFL caliber arms who cannot play QB.

Right.  Still better than a guy who doesn't have the arm and also cannot play QB.

(Hint...  I'm referring to Ryan Fitzpatrick.)

Just now, Mike135 said:

Right.  Still better than a guy who doesn't have the arm and also cannot play QB.

(Hint...  I'm referring to Ryan Fitzpatrick.)

I'd rather not debate whose crap smells worse...... it does not really interest me that much. Until I see otherwise, they both suck, and neither have any future on this team, so until we are playing a QB who may have a future on this team, its all crap.

9 minutes ago, Cap'nObvious said:

I'd rather not debate whose crap smells worse...... it does not really interest me that much. Until I see otherwise, they both suck, and neither have any future on this team, so until we are playing a QB who may have a future on this team, its all crap.

Disclaimer:  This post expresses no political viewpoint.  It is only used as a reference to a pop culture icon expressing that something is incorrect.  No need to delete the post.

2 hours ago, Mike135 said:

Geno an NFL caliber QB lol lol lol lol 2 years back to back worst QB rating lol lol lol ? ? 

5 minutes ago, Powpow said:

Careful. You might use them on yourself when you ultimately realize Geno is NOT the answer to the Jets QB situation. 

Actually while I'd certainly be somewhat disappointed, it wouldn't be a surprise.  I'd say odds are below 50% he is "the answer".  But at least we're looking for an answer.  And will then move on to Petty if Geno is not.  

Fitz was a complete waste of time, cap space and most likely at 1-5 now...  the season.

3 hours ago, JiF said:

@win4ever thanks again.  You know I love these.  It shows that Gailey outside of a few stupid shovel pass calls in a couple of games, has really has been solid this year.  WR's open everywhere!  I really dont get it.  How can someone go from having a career year to literally some of the worst QB play I've ever seen.  And this dude has been in the league 12 years!!!

B. Who knows?  It's not like anyone really knows what they're going to get from Geno.  I think we know Anderson will be open.  He's open every single game.  Balt. is actually pretty good vs. the pass but they have let up a few long balls.  I think they have 2 75+ yards passes on the year vs. them.  I'd love to see Robbie break out this game.  It's clear on the film, the kids has the goods...he can get open, no matter what coverage he's seeing.

C. This is the problem with having Fitz as your QB...has Q really regressed?  Or is it that he's not an easy read anymore with Decker out so it requires Fitz to actually go through progressions, which clearly he's not capable of doing.  2 or 3 plays in this thread showed Q, wide open and the ball went elsewhere (more than likely the place that Fitz decided he was  going to throw in the huddle).

we are now playing real football teams, not the cupcake schedule we had last year

17 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Actually while I'd certainly be somewhat disappointed, it wouldn't be a surprise.  I'd say odds are below 50% he is "the answer".  But at least we're looking for an answer.  And will then move on to Petty if Geno is not.  

Fitz was a complete waste of time, cap space and most likely at 1-5 now...  the season.

More like .05% Geno is the answer and even then what's the question. Which is why starting him is nothing more than Mac trying to save his face for his ass. Whether Geno even mildly succeeds it's a futile proposition to go forward with him.  Mac is just a scardy ? going with Geno at this juncture. A few meaningless wins by a mediocre QB that won't be resigned shows no guts whatsoever. Why won't he start Petty or Hack NOW. What do you have to lose?  Mac is just trying to look good here. If he starts Petty or Hack and they look incompetent, if falls directly on him.  Geno is the safe option because it protects his image at this point. 

6 hours ago, Jetdawgg said:

Thanks bro. I just cannot imagine how difficult this is to do. Particularly seeing how bad your favorite team is. Your effort here is once again most appreciated.

Robby Anderson will get over 70 yards this week as Geno can make the deep pass. His feet move so much more quickly than the defenders. 

The Q is doing very well when targeted. It is unfortunate that Fitz peers onto BM and forgets about everyone else. It almost seems like Fitz does not know where his WR's are to be located on the plays. I certainly don't want to think that. 

Very happy that Fitz is benched now. Once Petty gets healthy he should be cut. Let these young men play QB.

Thanks.  This was particularly hard to do because I was under the weather, so the descriptions were shorter, lol.  I didn't feel like typing "single high safety, wide receiver open on the other side of the field" over and over again.   

Yeah, I think he's a real sleeper.  I've heard that the Ravens have been having trouble with deep passes lately, so it'll be interesting to see how he does.  

Fitz, to me atleast, seemed like a one read QB to me where he already has his mind made up when he's doing his drop back.  Unfortunately, when the defense takes that option away, he doesn't do well in trying to improvise to other options.  

Yeah, anyone but Fitz honestly.  I'm way more excited about next week's game because I just have a reason to watch in real time again.  I would be happy to see anyone with potential to be honest, we could pick up a young guy off the street tomorrow and I'd be more excited to see him than Fitz.  

5 hours ago, JiF said:

Thanks.  

Gailey has been good with his play calling, but Fitz has not taken advantage.  On the 3rd and 1 screen pass to Forte that failed, the other side of the field had an easy throw to Enunwa for an almost sure-fire first down, but Fitz went with a screen pass to a loaded side.  I argued all of the off season that Fitz may or may not be better than Geno (both of them have their faults) but Fitz is certainly not $8 million (at the time) better than Geno.  I've been wanting to go see the Accountant, so I'm theorizing that Fitz just goes from team to team, and cooks their books, and as a form of money laundering they pay him to play QB.  

Yeah, I'm drawing a blank on the nicknames.  The Ge-No works for the bad ones, but the good ones, I can't think of anything good.  I thought of ones like Geno-sis (a play on genesis) or Geno-ious (a play on genius) but both sound off to me.  

They seem to struggle with the deep pass, so it'll be interesting to see if we take advantage of that.  I'm curious to see Devin Smith, Marshall, Anderson, Peake, Enunwa on the field together at some point, because four of those guys have legit top end speed and the other is a No. 1 WR.  I like to see how teams defend that.  

It's quite possible, although he hasn't been nearly as open as in the first couple of games.  Part of it has to do with Decker, but teams are also focusing in on him more even when Decker was in the game.  

5 hours ago, YankeeJet22 said:

name for bad Geno

GenoJet

GenoJest

Ge-No is probably the leader in the clubhouse now for the bad Geno throws, because it's somewhat simple.  

Need something for good ones and assistant failures.  I figure Sidekick power can remain the same because it had no ties to Magic.  

5 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

the encouraging thing is that these young guys are getting open.  devin smith will also benefit once petty and hack are there.  

I'm really excited to see Smith, Peake, and Anderson together, and see what the defenses do in terms of speed.  I'm guessing they would have to play two deep safety, which should open up the underneath lanes.  

5 hours ago, Mike135 said:

Yeah, it should definitely be interesting to see how they do with the deep pass back in play again.  The fumble by Geno was set up to be a deep pass to Marshall but the defender got there just a hair early, but it would have been interesting to see how that throw would have went.  

I don't know if Baltimore is the team for it, but I expect Geno to run more.  If the defense is spread out, these defense are trying to rush the outside and leave the middle of the field open, so he should have more chances to run up the middle.   

I think there won't be much of an adjustment for Geno or Gailey.  With the pre-snap reads, Geno picked the easier side multiple times on that drive, so to me it looks like he has a good grasp of the playbook and defensive reads.  

4 hours ago, Cap'nObvious said:

He still needs to prove he can be good, I'm just excited to watch anything with potential.  

3 hours ago, Mike135 said:

Fair enough.  Maybe it would have been better to say "NFL caliber arm".

Geno definitely has the arm to succeed, and the tools.  It really boils down to his ability to read defenses, which remains to be seen.  

3 hours ago, j4jets said:

@JetNation Could you do one for the 6 Geno passes? Would be nice. 

It's already up in the film review section. 

3 hours ago, Mike135 said:

I think I mentioned this earlier, but the Geno vs. Fitz debate is interesting.  Both of them have their highs and lows.  I think most fans would admit that neither of them are surefire franchise QBs.  The part that irks me is that, there is no way Fitz is worth millions of dollars more than Geno, when we could have used that money for other parts of the team.  

2 hours ago, jetfan39 said:

we are now playing real football teams, not the cupcake schedule we had last year

Yeah, these have been tough defenses, although there were opportunities to take advantage and we failed.  

Archived