Fitz not happy about being benched

JustInFudge

New York Jets quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick (14) reacts after being benched in the fourth quarter against the Arizona Cardinals at University of Phoenix Stadium. The Cardinals defeated the Jets 28-3. Mark J. Rebilas-USA TODAY Sports
New York Jets quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick (14) reacts after being benched in the fourth quarter against the Arizona Cardinals at University of Phoenix Stadium. The Cardinals defeated the Jets 28-3. Mark J. Rebilas-USA TODAY Sports

Jets quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick, now the team's backup, told reporters Wednesday that he will respect the decision to start Geno Smith made by head coach Todd Bowles, although he is not pleased with it. 

Fitzpatrick struggled again in Monday night's loss to the Cardinals, throwing his 11th interception of the year and failing to throw a touchdown. 

"I mean, I don't like it," Fitzpatrick said. "I'm disappointed that we're making the change, but disappointed in my play this year as well. The competitor in me really wants to be out there. The guy that was the leader of this team last year and the beginning of this year wants to be out there, but it's the decision that Todd (Bowles) made and I have to respect his decision, but I don't have to like it."

After the team's fourth consecutive loss, Bowles said Wednesday the Jets' offense was "stagnant" and it was time for a change, which will hopefully lead to better production. Fitzpatrick agreed, but hoped it would not come down to a change in quarterbacks. 

"We're 1-5, so something has got to change," Fitzpatrick said. "And the way that we played on offense the last four weeks, something had to change. So I guess I was the change."

Fitzpatrick added that he didn't know a change was coming after Sunday's game.

"I didn't know," he said. "I've been around and been at it long enough to know that when you're 1-5, usually good things aren't happening and it's not all smiles in the building. I don't want to say that I expected it, but it's not shocking to me that they wanted to change things up in some regard."

Smith will start Sunday's matchup with the Ravens, his first start since Week 17 in 2014 against the Dolphins. 

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"I mean, I don't like it," Fitzpatrick said. "I'm disappointed that we're making the change, but disappointed in my play this year as well. The competitor in me really wants to be out there. The guy that was the leader of this team last year and the beginning of this year wants to be out there, but it's the decision that Todd (Bowles) made and I have to respect his decision, but I don't have to like it."

No one to blame but yourself Fitzy.

Maybe that long offseason holdout was a bad idea, eh?  Maybe, just maybe, you should have accepted less and showed up, and worked all offseason.

Take a seat and STFU.  You had your chance, and you blew it.

Fitz is a complete tool. He needs to be cut ASAP. And if he can't be cut, tell him to just screw off and stay home. He really is a pretentious arrogant douche. This loser actually said his conttol of the huddle was more important than performance. I guess it is just a bitch being screwed up the ass like he f#cked us the first 6 games. The only thing he is a leader of is his own personal personality circle jerk. At least stubborn Bowles finally saw the light.

Fitz seems to be a decent guy. Apparently he really knows this game, Chan's system, and is articulate and smart; he just doesn't have the arm to play at a level that matches his understanding of the game. If so, and he is actually a team player, I hope he does everything in his power at this final stage of his career to help Petty turn into our franchise QB. Should that happen, the $6MM would be money well spent. Imagine if we had a young QB with a great attitude, a tremendous work ethic, a cannon of an arm, pinpoint passing accuracy, and the ability of a wily veteran (such as Fitz) to dissect opposing defenses. Now that would be something.

Just now, FlaJetsFan said:

Fitz seems to be a decent guy. Apparently he really knows this game, Chan's system, and is articulate and smart; he just doesn't have the arm to play at a level that matches his understanding of the game. If so, and he is actually a team player, I hope he does everything in his power at this final stage of his career to help Petty turn into our franchise QB. Should that happen, the $6MM would be money well spent. Imagine if we had a young QB with a great attitude, a tremendous work ethic, a cannon of an arm, pinpoint passing accuracy, and the ability of a wily veteran (such as Fitz) to dissect opposing defenses. Now that would be something.

Fitzpatrick is no mentor or leader keep him far away from our young QB's 

44 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

This is how every single player who is benched and gives even the slightest bit of sh*t about football feels.  Hardly surprising "news".

Sure.  I just remember this thread and thought it would be funny to see the reactions to this comment from Fitz.

I'm not happy that every week for the last month I've had to explain to my 12 year old that our team sucking in football is ok and he shouldn't let him bum him out.  I'm also not happy that I've had to say "oh jeez" or "man we suck" in a calm voice rather than screaming the obscenity laced tirade I'd be doing if he wasn't in the room with me.

Take that Rubix Cube and shove it straight up your ass.  Don't care that you think you don't suck.  You do.  Congrats on swindling NFL teams for millions upon millions of dollars.  No one said you were dumb.

Without Ivory opposing defenses drop the LBs into the coverage zones within Fitz's range.  The team back built is not designed to work with Fitz' skill set.   That is why they keep calling Forte on running plays-because the zones where he could catch the call are covered.  The OL is also not good enough to control the opposing DL, which also allows the LBs to play back a bit.

Thus, the Jets need to play a QB who can throw the ball farther and faster.  Its really that simple.  With the tall and fast WRs on the roster, a QB with an arm can change the offense completely, so long as we get some pass-blocking.

I don't know where this ends up for Geno but I don't know why people think Petty can play.  he is just back from a shoulder injury.  He has not played for 6 weeks.  He cannot step in.  

Macc was building the team he wanted for the long term-Fitz was a last minute signing.  He was likely forced on him by Woody.  Then Bowles played him because he was being played 12mm.  The result was foredestined.

So let Geno play and see what he can do.  Hopefully we can see how the other guys play.  If Geno is extended, which hopefully does not happen, it should not be for Fitz 2016 money.

1 hour ago, JiF said:

No, you were not the leader. You were a recipient of a good fortune. Leaders don't sh*t themselves. 

That was a really terrible statement. Proclaiming himself a leader. Leader to what? a 1-5 record? Then sure. 

7 minutes ago, drsamuel84 said:

To be fair, the subject of this thread is a little misleading.  Of course he's not happy about being benched, why would he be?  But if you read the rest of the story he's taken responsibility for his poor play and is backing Geno.  Really a non story. 

Have  you seen the stories on Geno? Everything goes under the microscope. 

4 minutes ago, Cap'nObvious said:

He admits his play was bad, and that its his fault. He is a good dude, just not a good QB. Let it go. This isnt Geno who would not admit that his own actions contributed to him not starting, and was instead pissed off at everyone else.

Yeah, Smith wasn't exactly "pissed off at everyone else" last year. This year, at 1-5, who wasn't pissed off at the team? Why would one NOT be pissed off? 

5 minutes ago, j4jets said:

Yeah, Smith wasn't exactly "pissed off at everyone else" last year. This year, at 1-5, who wasn't pissed off at the team? Why would one NOT be pissed off? 

Agenda driven post as usual.  Bowles praised Geno for how he handled the situation last year and Geno himself said, he learned a lot from Fitz and from the adversity he experienced.   Remember the guy lost his job because he was assaulted, not because Fitz beat him out of the job in direct competition. 

Bryce Petty wants to play

EAST RUTHERFORD, NJ - AUGUST 11: Bryce Petty #9 of the New York Jets in action against the Jacksonville Jaguars  during an NFL preseason game at MetLife Stadium on August 11, 2016 in East Rutherford, New Jersey. (Photo by Rich Schultz/Getty Images)Getty Images

With Ryan Fitzpatrick benched and Geno Smithstarting, it’s only a matter of time before Geno Smith is benched and another Jets quarterback gets the ball.

Bryce Petty wants that to be him.

Shoot, I want game action,” Petty told Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News. “I think that’s what everybody in this locker room wants . . . is to get an opportunity. That’s all you can ask for in life in general, much less in this game. So, I definitely want an opportunity. . . . My plan is to go in and prepare like I am and then just wait for my number to be called and just jump on that opportunity. I’ve been in this league a short amount of time, but what I have learned is that when you do get your opportunity, you got to jump on it. Because they’re quick and few and far between.”

Petty’s chance could be coming quickly, if Geno Smith plays like he previously has.

Of course, Petty’s chance could quickly end, too. At some point, the Jets will want to see what they have in rookie Christian Hackenberg — especially if they’re going to be in position to draft yet another quarterback in 2017.

If they play their cards right, the Jets could be in position to draft the first quarterback in 2017.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/10/20/bryce-petty-wants-to-play/

21 minutes ago, j4jets said:

Yeah, he was pissed off at the situation, never once accepted any responsibility for the situation, just declared he was pissed at it. Fitz is a bad QB, but is at least admitting he caused this. He could have blamed the Oline, or the WR's running bad routes, or bad playcalls, he blamed himself. Geno should take a page from Fitz's book, and then apply his golden arm to it.

16 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

Agenda driven post as usual.  Bowles praised Geno for how he handled the situation last year and Geno himself said, he learned a lot from Fitz and from the adversity he experienced.   Remember the guy lost his job because he was assaulted, not because Fitz beat him out of the job in direct competition. 

The only agenda driven posts are those from the blind Geno loyalists, who claim nothing has ever been his fault, he was always the misfortune recipient of bad luck, and he is so badly treated, and so unfairly portrayed by the media, and the fans, and his teammates, and on and on. The way Geno acted on the sidelines showed he has not changed one bit, and the Geno loyalists say hey, look at that passion, oooooooh, sooooo much passion. 

Archived