Fitz not happy about being benched

JustInFudge

Bryce Petty is going to get his shot to quarterback the Jets, and he can’t wait for it 

Manish Mehta
NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Thursday, October 20, 2016, 11:32 AM
Bryce Petty has leadership qualities that the Jets should encourage.

Bryce Petty has leadership qualities that the Jets should encourage.

(MARK TENALLY/AP)

The Jets quarterback quandary will wind through Geno Smith before the inevitable next stop during this lost season: Bryce Petty's time is coming.

The second-year quarterback offers this star-crossed franchise some hope for the future. The temporary transition from Ryan Fitzpatrick to the erratic Smith is doomed to fail. Petty will be next in line to show team decision makers that he deserves serious consideration to compete for the starting job in 2017.

"To this point, I've been taking advantage of the checks," a candid Petty told the Daily News. "I want to contribute. I want to compete. But that's everybody in this locker room. So, I just have to continue to get better and study that book and study the gameplans and be ready to rock n' roll. That part hasn't changed since Day One…. So, definitely, yeah, I'm ready to play."

Petty might have already had his chance if not for a shoulder injury suffered in the preseason finale in Philadelphia that prompted him to miss five weeks of practice. He displayed poise, pocket presence and a cannon arm during a promising preseason that opened plenty of eyes within the organization. He was far from perfect, but he flashed enough to make decision makers wonder about the possibilities.

Going to Geno Smith is a panic move that's destined for failure

Although Todd Bowles said that Petty, who returned to practice on a full-time basis last week, needs to "practice a good bit and get reps," before becoming a serious option to start, don't be fooled. Petty will get a chance when the 1-5Jets lose their eighth game (signaling the unofficial official end to any flickering playoff hopes), if not sooner.

Outside of his preseason performance, Bryce Petty has shown a dedication in practice

Outside of his preseason performance, Bryce Petty has shown a dedication in practice

(HOWARD SIMMONS/NEW YORK DAILY NEWS)

"Shoot, I want game action," Petty said about getting a chance to play at some point this season. "I think that's what everybody in this locker room wants… is to get an opportunity. That's all you can ask for in life in general, much less in this game. So, I definitely want an opportunity. … My plan is to go in and prepare like I am and then just wait for my number to be called and just jump on that opportunity. I've been in this league a short amount of time, but what I have learned is that when you do get your opportunity, you got to jump on it. Because they're quick and few and far between."

Petty's work ethic is commendable. He is literally the first quarterback to arrive at the facility at 5:30 each morning, according to people other than Petty. He has been a willing learner for the better part of the past year and a half. He has never complained, whined or tweeted cryptic messages about a lack of playing time. He is authentically humble. He has leadership qualities that should be cultivated.

The organization's decision to draft Christian Hackenberg in the second round prompted him to elevate his game. He entered the preseason unsure whether he'd even make the Week 1 roster. He responded by outplaying Smith and Hackenberg before getting hurt.

Best and worst of Geno Smith’s time with the Jets

The preseason success emboldened him.

Bryce Petty will likely lean on Ryan Fitzpatrick for advice, and Fitzpatrick is eager to continue to play the role of team leader despite his reduced playing time.

Bryce Petty will likely lean on Ryan Fitzpatrick for advice, and Fitzpatrick is eager to continue to play the role of team leader despite his reduced playing time.

(NORM HALL/GETTY IMAGES)

"The biggest thing is the confidence level," Petty said. "When I was in the game, I was so much more comfortable than I was (last year). In the last two weeks on scout team… it's a totally different feel. I've built a foundation now from OTAs this past year to camp to preseason to where it's like, 'Man, you can play. You can do this.' And that's huge for the quarterback position. You got to be confident with your abilities. Last year was a whirl-wind like 'Man, this is a lot.' Now it's like, 'I can do this.'"

Petty will lean on Fitzpatrick for guidance as always. Fitzpatrick is still the team leader even though his job description has changed. He's always willing to help.

"Well, I still am," Fitzpatrick told The News about being the team leader. "I still am going to be looked at as that. I still have to go about my business that way, but it's hard because it's in a different capacity. But that just doesn't go away. … The respect that guys have for me just doesn't go away because I'm not out there playing."

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Cap'nObvious said:

The only agenda driven posts are those from the blind Geno loyalists, who claim nothing has ever been his fault, he was always the misfortune recipient of bad luck, and he is so badly treated, and so unfairly portrayed by the media, and the fans, and his teammates, and on and on. The way Geno acted on the sidelines showed he has not changed one bit, and the Geno loyalists say hey, look at that passion, oooooooh, sooooo much passion. 

No you said he blamed everyone last year and you were wrong. Just own dude it and move on.  It is okay to not like the guy but no need to make sh*t up.

Nothing Petty's said has suggested he's still on the mend or rusty. No, "I think I'm just about ready, but I just got back here and expect it'll take a week before my timing's back where it was," before giving the usual blah blah blah about supporting the guys who are out there, etc. Would be a good out for his ego/pride about not getting this start over Geno.

His failing to allude to it doesn't mean he isn't rusty, but it's just something I was looking for since he was talking. 

1 minute ago, JetBlue said:

No you said he blamed everyone last year and you were wrong. Just own dude it and move on.  It is okay to not like the guy but no need to make sh*t up.

If you are going to accuse me of making sh*t up, you should at least get what I say correct. I never once said he blamed everyone else. Its really the least you can do.

16 minutes ago, Cap'nObvious said:

Yeah, he was pissed off at the situation, never once accepted any responsibility for the situation, just declared he was pissed at it. Fitz is a bad QB, but is at least admitting he caused this. He could have blamed the Oline, or the WR's running bad routes, or bad playcalls, he blamed himself. Geno should take a page from Fitz's book, and then apply his golden arm to it.

Hold your horses there, buddy. He was sucker punched. You don't expect to be sucker punched over $600 by a guy making half a mil and risking it all. And Fitz doesn't have any leg to stand on if he blames the OL, WR or bad playcalling. And no, Geno shouldn't take a page from Fitz' book. I hope nobody takes a page from his book. Pretty obvious your post is "agenda driven", like @JetBlue called you out. 

Just now, j4jets said:

Hold your horses there, buddy. He was sucker punched. You don't expect to be sucker punched over $600 by a guy making half a mil and risking it all. And Fitz doesn't have any leg to stand on if he blames the OL, WR or bad playcalling. And no, Geno shouldn't take a page from Fitz' book. I hope nobody takes a page from his book. Pretty obvious your post is "agenda driven", like @JetBlue called you out. 

LOL, you really are sensitive, just remember, my shoulder is your shoulder.

19 minutes ago, Cap'nObvious said:

Yeah, he was pissed off at the situation, never once accepted any responsibility for the situation, just declared he was pissed at it. Fitz is a bad QB, but is at least admitting he caused this. He could have blamed the Oline, or the WR's running bad routes, or bad playcalls, he blamed himself. Geno should take a page from Fitz's book, and then apply his golden arm to it.

f0e69e802ec40bfe3b935249c63a55c6.jpg

51 minutes ago, Cap'nObvious said:

He admits his play was bad, and that its his fault. He is a good dude, just not a good QB. Let it go. This isnt Geno who would not admit that his own actions contributed to him not starting, and was instead pissed off at everyone else.

Your Exact Quote.

6 minutes ago, Happy Clouds said:

Uh oh. How long before we start hearing that Fitzy is getting "antsy" about not playing? He better not start stomping around on the sideline throwing water cups and clipboards everywhere, showing his frustrations.

Lol I doubt we see that. 

I was just waiting to see if he was even going to hint about doing what he can to help the other QBs on the team now that he's been demoted. Nothing about, "Well I had my chance and didn't do very well. I can still help this team win, though, by giving Geno and Bryce all the guidance & support I wanted when I was a young QB."

Closest I came to reading that was a writer editorializing that Petty will be able to lean on him, but nothing from his own mouth other than wanting to start (which every QB should of course want).

17 minutes ago, Cap'nObvious said:

The only agenda driven posts are those from the blind Geno loyalists, who claim nothing has ever been his fault, he was always the misfortune recipient of bad luck, and he is so badly treated, and so unfairly portrayed by the media, and the fans, and his teammates, and on and on. The way Geno acted on the sidelines showed he has not changed one bit, and the Geno loyalists say hey, look at that passion, oooooooh, sooooo much passion. 

Yeah, we are 1-5. I don't expect any player to be happy about it. Especially not a QB who lost the job to a backup due to an injury and when that same QB started playing like he always has in his entire career and your dumb hc still doesn't make a switch, its time we blame the HC, not the QB. So yeah, the agenda here is "Geno sucked as a rookie and he sucked without a WR. Lets ignore his last 4 games of 2014 when he had two half decent WRs because no reason. He deserves no other opportunity". Yeah, we get it. 

8 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Nothing Petty's said has suggested he's still on the mend or rusty. No, "I think I'm just about ready, but I just got back here and expect it'll take a week before my timing's back where it was," before giving the usual blah blah blah about supporting the guys who are out there, etc. Would be a good out for his ego/pride about not getting this start over Geno.

His failing to allude to it doesn't mean he isn't rusty, but it's just something I was looking for since he was talking. 

translation, they'd rather him play cleveland.

1 minute ago, j4jets said:

Yeah, we are 1-5. I don't expect any player to be happy about it. Especially not a QB who lost the job to a backup due to an injury and when that same QB started playing like he always has in his entire career and your dumb hc still doesn't make a switch, its time we blame the HC, not the QB. So yeah, the agenda here is "Geno sucked as a rookie and he sucked without a WR. Lets ignore his last 4 games of 2014 when he had two half decent WRs because no reason. He deserves no other opportunity". Yeah, we get it. 

giphy cry.gif

2 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

translation, they'd rather him play cleveland.

Mentally I've prepared myself for Geno getting 4 starts, then the last change is made over the bye, then Petty gets the last 6 starts. I think it sucks, but I think that's what is going to happen. That is, unless Geno is helpful enough to melt down soon, but not so soon that they have to trot Fitz back out there.

1 minute ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Mentally I've prepared myself for Geno getting 4 starts, then the last change is made over the bye, then Petty gets the last 6 starts. I think it sucks, but I think that's what is going to happen. That is, unless Geno is helpful enough to melt down soon, but not so soon that they have to trot Fitz back out there.

you're probably right given all the time petty has missed.  the question is, when petty is the starter, do they ever dress hack?  bowles keeps saying he's not ready and he probably isn't.  but does that mean he shouldn't get any garbage time just to experience it?

Just now, Augustiniak said:

you're probably right given all the time petty has missed.  the question is, when petty is the starter, do they ever dress hack?  bowles keeps saying he's not ready and he probably isn't.  but does that mean he shouldn't get any garbage time just to experience it?

I don't think Hackenberg sees 1 snap this year. I think they go back to Fitz before that happens.

Kid apparently needs some serious work, and Gailey blurted out that they don't have time to address it until after this season's over. I mean, no sense in hiring a 2nd QBC just for him (or him & Petty both) while Fitz was still starting. What a waste of time.

5 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Let's see how many times he fumbles the ball in the pocket--a Geno specialty

1 hour ago, Pac said:

I'm not happy that every week for the last month I've had to explain to my 12 year old that our team sucking in football is ok and he shouldn't let him bum him out.  I'm also not happy that I've had to say "oh jeez" or "man we suck" in a calm voice rather than screaming the obscenity laced tirade I'd be doing if he wasn't in the room with me.

Take that Rubix Cube and shove it straight up your ass.  Don't care that you think you don't suck.  You do.  Congrats on swindling NFL teams for millions upon millions of dollars.  No one said you were dumb.

Waaaah. We've been doing that for 40 years. Tell him to be a Steelers fan.

1 minute ago, jack48 said:

Let's see how many times he fumbles the ball in the pocket--a Geno specialty

It's infuriating. Of course it was infuriating watching someone else cough it up 5x himself in his 6 starts. 

Truth is we were never going anywhere this year. Any hope in the preseason was false hope, and this team's best chances were really the collapses and injuries of others we faced (like in 2015). 

22 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I don't think Hackenberg sees 1 snap this year. I think they go back to Fitz before that happens.

Kid apparently needs some serious work, and Gailey blurted out that they don't have time to address it until after this season's over. I mean, no sense in hiring a 2nd QBC just for him (or him & Petty both) while Fitz was still starting. What a waste of time.

Todd basically confirmed that.  And when asked why?  Because he doesnt get enough reps in practice.  lmfao.  I wonder why? 

3 minutes ago, JiF said:

Todd basically confirmed that.  And when asked why?  Because he doesnt get enough reps in practice.  lmfao.  I wonder why? 

it's a slow process to have to demonstrate to the rest of the team that the 1st and 2nd stringers suck and shouldn't get practice reps.

35 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Mentally I've prepared myself for Geno getting 4 starts, then the last change is made over the bye, then Petty gets the last 6 starts. I think it sucks, but I think that's what is going to happen.

I think that's a reasonable prediction.

44 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

I think the key is to see if he interacts on the sideline and actively tries to help out Geno. And cares more about winning the game rather than (like Geno) himself. 

Helps out?  LOL hasnt he helped enough already 1-5 leads the NFL in INT's LOL helps out who needs his help. Give it a rest its over!

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

It's infuriating. Of course it was infuriating watching someone else cough it up 5x himself in his 6 starts. 

Truth is we were never going anywhere this year. Any hope in the preseason was false hope, and this team's best chances were really the collapses and injuries of others we faced (like in 2015). 

coludn't agree more.  we ain't that good.

Archived