Jump to content

How Todd Bowles attacks Jets' slump: Jordan, Wooden and video at 4:30 a.m.


Gas2No99
 Share

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

the whole thing is intended to portray bowles as a hard worker, it's all he has left.  his defense sucks, his coaching sucks.  since he can't fix this obviously, all he can do is portray himself as a hard worker.  there is no other reason for him to talk about how hard he works.  there was no discussion of this last year when they were winning (and as you said, they all already knew).

He's not going anywhere this year.  You know he's getting this season and all of next.  If the team sucks in 2017 his job isn't going to saved by a Cimini article in Oct 2016 talking about the hours he keeps.  This isn't intended to save his job.  He's an NFL coach, I would have been shocked only if h didn't work really hard, no reason to talk about it.  As I said the point wasn't that he gets in at 4:30" it's that he now uses every second to find reasons and solutions to the season. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Jet Nut said:

He's not going anywhere this year.  You know he's getting this season and all of next.  If the team sucks in 2017 his job isn't going to saved by a Cimini article in Oct 2016 talking about the hours he keeps.  This isn't intended to save his job.  He's an NFL coach, I would have been shocked only if h didn't work really hard.

i don't doubt he works very hard.  never did.  there are plenty of losing teams with crappy coaches in all of college and pro sports where the coaches work very hard.  but they don't go around telling people how hard they work until they're losing and getting bashed in the media.  bowles is concerned about his reputation, if/when he gets canned he'll need to get a DC job somewhere else.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Wonder if that is where he makes his adjustments. Because he does adjust game to game. He just hasn't shown consistently the ability to adjust in game. He has made some little adjustments in game but not with consistency

Not sure getting worse week to week can be considered an adjustment. If the team eventually improves then we can consider that.  Right now he should probably go back to working out to help with the obvious stress he is under. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

i don't doubt he works very hard.  never did.  there are plenty of losing teams with crappy coaches in all of college and pro sports where the coaches work very hard.  but they don't go around telling people how hard they work until they're losing and getting bashed in the media.  bowles is concerned about his reputation, if/when he gets canned he'll need to get a DC job somewhere else.

This is pointless, you think he's going around on a PR tour selling his work ethic.  I see no proof that he went out of his way to sell this.  Cimini just brought it up, probably asked what he's doing differently and he told him he's not working out.

i don't look for conspiracys or agendas in normal conversation. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Jet Nut said:

This is pointless, you think he's going around on a PR tour selling his work ethic.  I see no proof that he went out of his way to sell this.  Cimini just brought it up, probably asked what he's doing differently and he told him he's not working out.

i don't look for conspiracys or agendas in normal conversation. 

you're not the one who's being bashed relentlessly in the media and whose reputation is on the line.  but you're right, this is pointless.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, KRL said:

People need to stop the hypocrisy:

- If Bowles said nothing people would say he's not working hard enough

- Bowles said something and people say he's putting on a front

Which way do you want it?  Both I'm sure

 

Bowles is not going anywhere.  I would like smarter in game decisions, sure.  But I am more worried about players not playing up to their level.  MO, Sheldon, Revis, Gilchrist, not that they are all on the same level.  Fact is our lesser players are not playing at last year's level.  I wonder if the clubhouse is a problem.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Augustiniak said:

you're not the one who's being bashed relentlessly in the media and whose reputation is on the line.  but you're right, this is pointless.

He's not really getting bashed.  This is nothing close to a bashing.  Only a handful of brain dead fans are talking about firing Bowles

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, UnitedWhofans said:

The people who say he's putting on a front are dumb. You think he created a routine out of thin air to tell Cimini?

Ridiculous

Bowles should be helping the locker room guys pack up for the impending team move to st. Louis LOL.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

 


The next in-game adjustment Bowles makes will be his first in 2 years.
 

 

I heard he is struggling so much on this that even BB felt bad enough for him to give him some pointers... of course the involve cheating, but still it was a nice thing to do - I guess he is getting soft.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Watching film 24/7 for 365 days a year won't teach a head coach not to punt on 4th and 2 with 8 minutes left down by two scores. Film won't teach him to go for two instead of kicking an XP. Film won't teach him to not kneel on the ball with 90+ seconds left and three timeouts before halftime.

This is a nice fluff piece, but film study isn't my concern with Bowles.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Reasons for losing hope are obvious and apparent to us all.

Reasons for hope:

- Won 10 games with an overrated and old roster.

- Is a first time head coach and takes time to learn.

- This point is most important, just about everybody who has chimed in about him as a head coach over the last few years has lauded him to no end. I have actually never seen so much praise from well respected football people, we're not talking about Stephen A. Smith/Skip Bayless praise. And the praise always seemed absolute. He's a football genius, will be an amazing heach coach etc. I've rarely heard so much praise about a first time head coach from a variety of sources.

Usually you find this stuff only from the last head coach the coordinator workes for. Dan Quinn, the only thing I heard was Pete Carroll saying he'd be great. Going back to Mike Tomlin they didn't say much about that hire at the time, etc.

This universal praise has me hoping....cautiously, impatiently.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

 


Why "adjust" him into the position in the first place?

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out it would never work.

Just dumb.

 

I'm at a lost.  Can't imagine Bowles could be this bad.  Good coordinator, good pedigree and did very well last year.  Of course against an easy schedule but still the offense and defense both very respectable.  You can just put so much on Fitz being a jag And  Revis  becoming s lard ass. Both sides of the ball are bottom 5 bad.  Maybe Bowles  needs a catscan or some sort of sports psychologist . Like he has had some kind of incident that is creating deficits in the football part of his brain. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, The Crusher said:

I'm at a lost.  Can't imagine Bowles could be this bad.  Good coordinator, good pedigree and did very well last year.  Of course against an easy schedule but still the offense and defense both very respectable.  You can just put so much on Fitz being a jag And  Revis  becoming s lard ass. Both sides of the ball are bottom 5 bad.  Maybe Bowles  needs a catscan or some sort of sports psychologist . Like he has had some kind of incident that is creating deficits in the football part of his brain. 

Me thinks the lack of talent on defense is showing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm at a lost.  Can't imagine Bowles could be this bad.  Good coordinator, good pedigree and did very well last year.  Of course against an easy schedule but still the offense and defense both very respectable.  You can just put so much on Fitz being a jag And  Revis  becoming s lard ass. Both sides of the ball are bottom 5 bad.  Maybe Bowles  needs a catscan or some sort of sports psychologist . Like he has had some kind of incident that is creating deficits in the football part of his brain. 


Here's what I don't get Crush.

Bowles was a damn good DC with the Cards, but where is that transition to the Jets?

As poorly as Fitz has played this year, the Jets defense is a much bigger disappointment because of all the high expectations.

That's all on Todd Bowles.


  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

 


Here's what I don't get Crush.

Bowles was a damn good DC with the Cards, but where is that transition to the Jets?

As poorly as Fitz has played this year, the Jets defense is a much bigger disappointment because of all the high expectations.

That's all on Todd Bowles.

 

 

Bowles is reasons #1, 2 and 3 why we have sucked so far.  the D was expected to be top 5 and is bottom 5.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Hey. they would be better for it. St. Louis is a great sports town. Unfortunately, politics gets in the way

This has nothing to do with politics. The Jets were started in NY, so they play in NY.

Economics gets in the way possibly because no owner is going to lose 700 million in value for their team by doing the move you suggested. I am still assuming that you are joking about that. Well I am hoping anyway lol.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Maxman said:

This has nothing to do with politics. The Jets were started in NY, so they play in NY.

Economics gets in the way possibly because no owner is going to lose 700 million in value for their team by doing the move you suggested. I am still assuming that you are joking about that. Well I am hoping anyway lol.

Well we've seen a team basically creep out of a town in the middle of the night without expectation, so I don't put anything past an owner.

The basic premise is this. The Jets have always suffered from insecurity because the Giants have always been top dog in town. That's why they make these PR moves to drum up interest. So if they moved to a place where they were the top dog, there would be no reason to make the moves. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Really? So you are ok with Bowles not preparing the team on a weekly basis and for failing to make adjustments during the game his stupid decisions that he does make and those pressers ughhhhhh

His pressers make zero difference to me and they are no different that the vast majority of head coaching press conferences. 

Bowles' team is absolutely failing currently and is playing below their talent level... but this happens to teams (see Arizona who is struggling) and I think Bowles is the kind of coach that will get it figured out and fix things. He did last year after the Houston game.

He is widely regarded and respected around the league for a reason. I think he's going to get this team moving in the right direction and be here for a little while.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, BigRy56 said:

His pressers make zero difference to me and they are no different that the vast majority of head coaching press conferences. 

Bowles' team is absolutely failing currently and is playing below their talent level... but this happens to teams (see Arizona who is struggling) and I think Bowles is the kind of coach that will get it figured out and fix things. He did last year after the Houston game.

He is widely regarded and respected around the league for a reason. I think he's going to get this team moving in the right direction and be here for a little while.

Hell see Carolina. Went to the SUper Bowl last year. They are now 1-5.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Jets made a huge change this week, benching starting quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick in favor of Geno Smith. But it might not be the only changes they make.

Coach Todd Bowles has said several times this week that he may make changes on defense as well. He would not reveal any personnel changes yet, but he said he is working different players at practice and could make lineup moves.

“I kind of want to see how the matchups look later in the week,” Bowles said. “Everyone’s getting reps and I’ll decide who goes where.”

Bowles’ search for answers is an indication of how disappointing the defense has been this season. Fitzpatrick’s struggles were surprising, but not shocking considering his history. But this defense was expected to be one of the NFL’s elite. Instead, they enter Sunday’s game with the Ravens ranked 23rd overall, 28th against the pass and 25th in scoring defense.

The biggest problem?

“Mistakes,” cornerback Darrelle Revis said. “Right now we’re in a place where everything that we do gets magnified times 10. That’s where we’re at. We’re playing close, tight games or we’re maybe behind, so that one play can blow up to be something bad on top of being down. Right now, we have to play sharp. We have to execute every down to being a nearly perfect play because of where we’re at and what the stakes are. That’s where we sit right now.”

With Smith at quarterback this week, the defense can give him a big assist by returning to the form they showed last year — when they finished No. 4 in yards allowed. If the defense can give the offense the ball in good field position, it can help out Smith.

The Jets can create that field position by forcing turnovers, something they have been unable to do this year. Through six games, they have just four takeaways, the second-fewest in the NFL (the Giants have three). Last year, the Jets had five takeaways in the season opener against the Browns and finished the season with 30.

“We’ve got to get our hands on more balls, whether it’s tipped pass, turnovers, anything,” Bowles said. “Last year we got a bunch of turnovers. This year we haven’t gotten them yet.”

Bowles likes to say turnovers “come in bunches,” but even he seems to be getting impatient waiting for those bunches to arrive.

“You try everything either blitzing, dropping back in coverage,” Bowles said. “You practice turnovers until you’re blue in the face. I’ve practiced a ton of them where they haven’t worked. I’ve practiced a ton of them where they have worked. It’s just a matter of them coming in bunches and us keep working at it.”

Modal Triggerwilkerson.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&w=177
Muhammad WilkersonPhoto: Bill Kostroun

Defensive end Muhammad Wilkerson said he believes the Jets can do a better job forcing those turnovers.

“They’re going to come when they come, but we have to make plays,” Wilkerson said. “When the ball’s in the air, it has to be ours. We have to win our one-on-ones up front, got to get to the quarterback, cause disruption, strip-sacks. There’s many different ways we can do that.”

The Jets have failed to get to the quarterback too much this season. They had seven sacks in Week 1 against the Bengals but have had just five since. Bowles has been relying on his front four to get to the quarterback, going away from blitzing as much as he did last season because he does not trust his secondary, which has given up eight passes of 40 yards or more, second only to the Raiders.

The Jets have blitzed on 36.4 percent of dropbacks this year, according to Pro Football Focus, as compared to a league-high 46 percent last year. This year’s percentage jumped this week when they blitzed the Cardinals on 72.5 percent of their dropbacks.

Against the Cardinals, the usually stout run defense even showed cracks. David Johnson busted a 58-yard touchdown in the first quarter and the Cardinals ran for 171 yards, the first time the Jets allowed more than 100 rushing yards this season.

So, the Jets not only are counting on a turnaround this week at quarterback, they also need one on defense.

“We’ve put ourselves in this hole,” Revis said. “To get out of it, we have to be smarter in all situations.”

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, JiF said:

The Jets made a huge change this week, benching starting quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick in favor of Geno Smith. But it might not be the only changes they make.

Coach Todd Bowles has said several times this week that he may make changes on defense as well. He would not reveal any personnel changes yet, but he said he is working different players at practice and could make lineup moves.

“I kind of want to see how the matchups look later in the week,” Bowles said. “Everyone’s getting reps and I’ll decide who goes where.”

Bowles’ search for answers is an indication of how disappointing the defense has been this season. Fitzpatrick’s struggles were surprising, but not shocking considering his history. But this defense was expected to be one of the NFL’s elite. Instead, they enter Sunday’s game with the Ravens ranked 23rd overall, 28th against the pass and 25th in scoring defense.

The biggest problem?

“Mistakes,” cornerback Darrelle Revis said. “Right now we’re in a place where everything that we do gets magnified times 10. That’s where we’re at. We’re playing close, tight games or we’re maybe behind, so that one play can blow up to be something bad on top of being down. Right now, we have to play sharp. We have to execute every down to being a nearly perfect play because of where we’re at and what the stakes are. That’s where we sit right now.”

With Smith at quarterback this week, the defense can give him a big assist by returning to the form they showed last year — when they finished No. 4 in yards allowed. If the defense can give the offense the ball in good field position, it can help out Smith.

The Jets can create that field position by forcing turnovers, something they have been unable to do this year. Through six games, they have just four takeaways, the second-fewest in the NFL (the Giants have three). Last year, the Jets had five takeaways in the season opener against the Browns and finished the season with 30.

“We’ve got to get our hands on more balls, whether it’s tipped pass, turnovers, anything,” Bowles said. “Last year we got a bunch of turnovers. This year we haven’t gotten them yet.”

Bowles likes to say turnovers “come in bunches,” but even he seems to be getting impatient waiting for those bunches to arrive.

“You try everything either blitzing, dropping back in coverage,” Bowles said. “You practice turnovers until you’re blue in the face. I’ve practiced a ton of them where they haven’t worked. I’ve practiced a ton of them where they have worked. It’s just a matter of them coming in bunches and us keep working at it.”

Modal Triggerwilkerson.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&w=177
Muhammad WilkersonPhoto: Bill Kostroun

Defensive end Muhammad Wilkerson said he believes the Jets can do a better job forcing those turnovers.

“They’re going to come when they come, but we have to make plays,” Wilkerson said. “When the ball’s in the air, it has to be ours. We have to win our one-on-ones up front, got to get to the quarterback, cause disruption, strip-sacks. There’s many different ways we can do that.”

The Jets have failed to get to the quarterback too much this season. They had seven sacks in Week 1 against the Bengals but have had just five since. Bowles has been relying on his front four to get to the quarterback, going away from blitzing as much as he did last season because he does not trust his secondary, which has given up eight passes of 40 yards or more, second only to the Raiders.

The Jets have blitzed on 36.4 percent of dropbacks this year, according to Pro Football Focus, as compared to a league-high 46 percent last year. This year’s percentage jumped this week when they blitzed the Cardinals on 72.5 percent of their dropbacks.

Against the Cardinals, the usually stout run defense even showed cracks. David Johnson busted a 58-yard touchdown in the first quarter and the Cardinals ran for 171 yards, the first time the Jets allowed more than 100 rushing yards this season.

So, the Jets not only are counting on a turnaround this week at quarterback, they also need one on defense.

“We’ve put ourselves in this hole,” Revis said. “To get out of it, we have to be smarter in all situations.”

So we dont have the worst secondary in the NFL. Hm.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...