Stars Have Aligned for Geno to Shine

JetNation

1 minute ago, AFJF said:

In all fairness, it's possible to root against a player but for the team.  

When Jason Taylor was a Jet, I wanted him to get steamrolled on every play, but only if there was going to be somebody in the vicinity to prevent any damage.

Its not like we've seen in past weeks with people celebrating losses...that's a totally different thing IMO.

Exactly. Hope the Jets play well, and Geno sprains his thumb putting on his wrist band and is unable to move play until 2017 with his next team The Canadian  Canooks. Petty comes in and throws 5 td's. Jets win and a star is born. ⭐️ 

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

And back to the point, he's a Jet and I want them to win.  Not to lose just because I hate a player.  Doesn't make you smarter, more loyal or a better fan to root against him.  Don't see people rooting against Rothlisberger.  Guess winning douchbags are tolerable

BTW, there isn't a chance in hell you have been a fan longer.

Oh yea so who was the first QB you remember seeing play for the Jets? BTW Rapeburger was milliseconds from being thrown out of Pitt by their owners for his behavior and is despised by many in NFL circles.

12 minutes ago, AFJF said:

When Jason Taylor was a Jet, I wanted him to get steamrolled on every play, but only if there was going to be somebody in the vicinity to prevent any damage.

Its not like we've seen in past weeks with people celebrating losses...that's a totally different thing IMO.

Ironic considering all the shït you gave the fans that weren't stupid enough to believe that ryan fitzpatrick was responsible for the jets going 10-6 last season

7 minutes ago, cant wait said:

Ironic considering all the shït you gave the fans that weren't stupid enough to believe that ryan fitzpatrick was responsible for the jets going 10-6 last season

He was, same team.  Fitz played great last year, 10-6  He plays bad this year, the team nose dives, pretty clear correlation there.

12 minutes ago, Powpow said:

Oh yea so who was the first QB you remember seeing play for the Jets? BTW Rapeburger was milliseconds from being thrown out of Pitt by their owners for his behavior and is despised by many in NFL circles.

Ben wasn't close to being out.  They made Holmes the bad guy and beat there chests while tossing him out for smoking weed.

i remember every QB.  I sat in Randles Is, etc, to Shea watching in person.  Changes nothing 

3 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

He was, same team.  Fitz played great last year, 10-6  He plays bad this year, the team nose dives, pretty clear correlation there.

the team did well. If you knew what you were watching, it was obvious that fitz was not playing "great" in those games

9 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Ben wasn't close to being out.  They made Holmes the bad guy and beat there chests while tossing him out for smoking weed.

i remember every QB.  I sat in Randles Is, etc, to Shea watching in person.  Changes nothing 

You saw them as the Titans?

1 hour ago, Powpow said:

I feel like throwing up after reading this dribble. Blaaaaugh. Feel better. First off, Geno does not have the strongest arm. Petty and Hack easily have stronger arms.   And in his four years, which really have been 2 years and one game last year, Smith has shown he has little grasp of any offense. And neither is he accurate or able to buy time in the pocket. With the schedule softening from here on, the Jets should compile a few more wins but it's pretty much irrelevant. This season is done and I'd prefer to see Petty get playing time rather than this albatross. 

Petty and Hack do have better arms, but Geno is still way above average, so what was said is not wrong.

Geno has seen 2 games since 2014, both times coming into situations where had to press, and did not have any preparation.

With practice reps and Gailey tailoring the offense to Geno there is a chance he breaks out. People forget how decently he played at the end of 2014.

I would rather start Petty and think Geno will likely come up short, but there is a chance he puts it together and creates a tough decision for the Jets. Also remember what a weak schedule did fir Fitz and our,remaining schedule us not difficult. It is also possible he plays mediocre but puts up good looking stats which would be bad 

1 minute ago, August said:

Translation I hope he plays poorly

Nope....just saying that if he does, you can't fairly evaluate his performance.  He has no control over the elements.

Geno is in a no loose situation. First of all, the Jets are already past the most difficult part of the schedule. If he plays well he is a hero. If he plays poorly (most likely cannot be as bad as Fitz has been) then it is because the OL sucks, the running games sucks, and Decker is out. He will never hear the end of why it wasn't his fault because look how be Fitz did.

Sadly, my big problem with this is that I want to see Petty get at least 4 games of experience and to see how far he has come. I would prefer a bigger window than that so he has a shot to be the starter next year. It would be great to let him play against Cleveland. My fear is that if Geno plays well enough to beat these bad teams, Petty may not get to start.

Geno is in a no loose situation. First of all, the Jets are already past the most difficult part of the schedule. If he plays well he is a hero. If he plays poorly (most likely cannot be as bad as Fitz has been) then it is because the OL sucks, the running games sucks, and Decker is out. He will never hear the end of why it wasn't his fault because look how be Fitz did.
Sadly, my big problem with this is that I want to see Petty get at least 4 games of experience and to see how far he has come. I would prefer a bigger window than that so he has a shot to be the starter next year. It would be great to let him play against Cleveland. My fear is that if Geno plays well enough to beat these bad teams, Petty may not get to start.

Bingo.

But the Genophiles will be aroused.

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

I really have no clue what to expect but there are many, many QBs that have come through this league that were not very GOOD in their 1st three years but continued on to have very long careers in the NFL.

Some of them for a miriad of different reasons. Lack of talent around them, bad coaching, injuries, too many OCs & new systems to learn.

Hmmmm ... sounds like a certain bearded QB we all know and love / hate (delete as applicable). :D 

If you want to talk about lack of play makers as an excuse for Geno in 2014 well we are now starting 3 rookie Wrs. Two UFAs and a 7th rounder. Our best TE just arrived off of a DUI and has hardly played, I might be wrong but I didn't see him on the field on Sunday. We don't have a power Rb like we did last year and in 2014 to give us help on the goal line. But no excuse for Fitz either. A starting Qb has to play with the hand he is dealt and Clyde Gates, Nelson etc had more experience than these guys. And probably were better. So let Geno do the job of a starting qb and make chicken salad out of chicken s. And how's about no excuses if he doesn't. And remember he had most of the first team reps during any team practices and activities from Jan to late July. 

3 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

If you want to talk about lack of play makers as an excuse for Geno in 2014 well we are starting 3 rookie Wrs. Two UFAs and a 7th rounder. Our best TE just arrived off of a DUI and has hardly played, I might be wrong but I didn't see him on the field on Sunday. We don't have a power Rb like we did last year and in 2014 to give us help on the goal line. But no excuse for Fitz either. A starting Qb has to play with the nand he is dealt and Clyde Gates, Nelson etc had more experience than these guys. And probably were better. So let Geno do the job of a starting qb and make chicken salad out of chicken s. And how's about no excuses if he doesn't. And remember he had most of the first team reps during any team practices and activities from Jan to late July. 

These WRs might not have the experience of Gates, Nelson, Salas but there is no way on gods green earth you'll convince me that the youngsters we have now aren't more talented! Gates sucked, so let's get that out of the way. Gates was also puny.

Peake & Anderson are more talented. Smith was WAY MORE talented than any of those players if & when he gets back. These guys are going to make mistakes but I guarantee you they are very excited to get playing time with a QB who they know CAN get the ball out of ahead of them. Every throw from Fitz was an adventure. If Geno can get the ball out on time (I know a big IF), but if he can you'll see a lot more YAC on Sunday from all of these WRs. It could actually be exciting every now & then, lol.

2 hours ago, Powpow said:

I feel like throwing up after reading this dribble. Blaaaaugh. Feel better. First off, Geno does not have the strongest arm. Petty and Hack easily have stronger arms.   And in his four years, which really have been 2 years and one game last year, Smith has shown he has little grasp of any offense. And neither is he accurate or able to buy time in the pocket. With the schedule softening from here on, the Jets should compile a few more wins but it's pretty much irrelevant. This season is done and I'd prefer to see Petty get playing time rather than this albatross. 

Hack has a stronger arm than Geno, but Petty doesn't.  As far as arm strength goes: 1) Hack 2) Geno 3) Petty 4) Fitzpatrick.

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

Yeah, same team . . . you know, except for Decker and Ivory.  Marshall, Decker and Ivory were the entire offense last year.  Two of those guys are not here right now.  Same team my ass.

Isn't it amazing how Fitz looked pretty good the first two games of the year, with a healthy Decker?

33 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

IMO, unless Geno wins 7 or 8 in a row, we'll see Petty at some point.

Decker being out hurts, but it still leaves Geno with a set of the most offensive talent that he's ever had. No excuses.

7 minutes ago, Jetster said:

These WRs might not have the experience of Gates, Nelson, Salas but there is no way on gods green earth you'll convince me that the youngsters we have now aren't more talented! Gates sucked, so let's get that out of the way. Gates was also puny.

Peake & Anderson are more talented. Smith was WAY MORE talented than any of those players if & when he gets back. These guys are going to make mistakes but I guarantee you they are very excited to get playing time with a QB who they know CAN get the ball out of ahead of them. Every throw from Fitz was an adventure. If Geno can get the ball out on time (I know a big IF), but if he can you'll see a lot more YAC on Sunday from all of these WRs. It could actually be exciting every now & then, lol.

You're right.  Peake, Anderson, and Smith are much more talented than those guys.  They just need playing time and a QB who can actually get the ball down the field.  

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

Pretty hard to root for your team when your rooting against the QB.

1 hour ago, Powpow said:

Exactly. Hope the Jets play well, and Geno sprains his thumb putting on his wrist band and is unable to move play until 2017 with his next team The Canadian  Canooks. Petty comes in and throws 5 td's. Jets win and a star is born. ⭐️ 

Be careful what you wish for . If Geno gets hurt we're getting subjected to more Fitz at least for this week and possibly a few more.

Fitz needed to be benched, but the timing has put the organization in a weird position.

I don't doubt that there are no current 2017 plans that include Geno - so what if he goes out and plays reasonably well, winning a few games? Do the Jets continue to trot him out there, keeping Petty on the bench? Do the Jets consider offering him a deal for 2017? As Jets fans, do we really want either scenario? And if he is playing decent, do we have any assurances that the coaching staff will pull him regardless and give Petty a shot?

And what's the alternative - he falls on his face and they do bring Petty in? In a way, that's what most fans want - so what's the  point in rooting for him to look good? Make no mistake, I'll be rooting for him..but other than the 'I root for the Jets' rational, I'm not sure exactly why..

9 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Devon Smith did nothing last year. Salas is underrated he's a good reserve receiver. I wish we still had him .  Schillens and Nelson were legit NFL receivers with experience before they came here.  So far these 3 guys have dropped balls but looked better last Sunday. But this is not a great roster of playmakers.

27 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

If you want to talk about lack of play makers as an excuse for Geno in 2014 well we are now starting 3 rookie Wrs. Two UFAs and a 7th rounder. Our best TE just arrived off of a DUI and has hardly played, I might be wrong but I didn't see him on the field on Sunday. We don't have a power Rb like we did last year and in 2014 to give us help on the goal line. But no excuse for Fitz either. A starting Qb has to play with the hand he is dealt and Clyde Gates, Nelson etc had more experience than these guys. And probably were better. So let Geno do the job of a starting qb and make chicken salad out of chicken s. And how's about no excuses if he doesn't. And remember he had most of the first team reps during any team practices and activities from Jan to late July. 

And this years offensive cast is still lightyears better than back in 2014.

Archived