Stars Have Aligned for Geno to Shine

JetNation

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I appreciate this article.

They're quite right, Geno has a very strong arm.  An arm capable of making any and all throws.

Therefore there is no excuse if the big-armed "howitzer" QB fails to make and connect on those big-armed-throws.

One less route for excuses.

You heard the man Geno.....lets see those big "Sports Center" throws you're capable of making.

Just now, jfmckenna said:

You've been in Geno's jock the whole time. Latched onto his sack like a some kind of gay Pleco.

You got your wish.

Enjoy it.

Correction.  I've been on anyone-but-Fitz jock.  Was I wrong?

But I rooted for him to throw 5 TDs every game this year.

44 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Devon Smith did nothing last year. Salas is underrated he's a good reserve receiver. I wish we still had him .  Schillens and Nelson were legit NFL receivers with experience before they came here.  So far these 3 guys have dropped balls but looked better last Sunday. But this is not a great roster of playmakers.

Smith was a star in college & just getting his feet wet last year. He also missed a lot of camp. It's not that easy to learn routes without practice, he's still an unknown but showed WAY MORE talent in big time college program than Gates, Salas, Nelson ever showed, way more pedigree. Yes, it's potential & we know the saying, but he's far from the bust yet that fans are labeling him with. Marshall alone makes Genos chances better than 2014. It would be nice to get ASJ rolling, that could help tremendously as an outlet for Geno. Be tough to cover both Forte & ASJ underneath.

3 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

there is no way geno has a stronger arm than hack.  no way.

they all have strong arms ..lets wait and see if any of them have any accuracy at all. So one guy has a little stronger arm than the other guy it means nothing if you can't get the ball to your WR's  I mean are we trying to throw a ball through a brick wall or play football ?

1 minute ago, Smashmouth said:

they all have strong arms ..lets wait and see if any of them have any accuracy at all. So one guy has a little stronger arm than the other guy it means nothing if you can't get the ball to your WR's  I mean are we trying to throw a ball through a brick wall or play football ?

Think we can talk Vinnie into coming out of retirement?

1 minute ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

I can't believe how much arguing, name calling, bitching, and fighting is going on over two QB' who probably won't be on this team next year. One of the many reasons I appreciate this site. 

especially when the entire team is playing horribly.

31 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Smith was a star in college & just getting his feet wet last year. He also missed a lot of camp. It's not that easy to learn routes without practice, he's still an unknown but showed WAY MORE talent in big time college program than Gates, Salas, Nelson ever showed, way more pedigree. Yes, it's potential & we know the saying, but he's far from the bust yet that fans are labeling him with. Marshall alone makes Genos chances better than 2014. It would be nice to get ASJ rolling, that could help tremendously as an outlet for Geno. Be tough to cover both Forte & ASJ underneath.

The thing is you don't start 3 rookie Wrs and only one was a draft pick a 7th rounder. You have to  have better vet depth than that. 

8 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

While I agree with that sentiment, have you looked at how opposing defenses have been playing against the Jets this season.  They are literally begging the Jets to throw deep and outside the numbers. The box is stacked and the secondary is funneling everything to he middle of the field. The only passes Fitz is hitting is quick one-read patterns. Even if Geno/Petty/Hack complete 20% of their passes downfield it will certainly loosen the quagmire at the LOS and allow more options in the run game and dump offs to RB's. 

The limitations of Fitz and the DC's gameplanning for that have really handcuffed Gailey and the offensive game plans. I don't expect a dramatic improvement with Geno , at least until he proves he can hit some deep passes , but at least it plants a seed of caution into the DC's head. 

13 minutes ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

I can't believe how much arguing, name calling, bitching, and fighting is going on over two QB' who probably won't be on this team next year. One of the many reasons I appreciate this site. 

If anything else it proves most of us here are passionate about the team.

1 minute ago, 56mehl56 said:

While I agree with that sentiment, have you looked at how opposing defenses have been playing against the Jets this season.  They are literally begging the Jets to throw deep and outside the numbers. The box is stacked and the secondary is funneling everything to he middle of the field. The only passes Fitz is hitting is quick one-read patterns. Even if Geno/Petty/Hack complete 20% of their passes downfield it will certainly loosen the quagmire at the LOS and allow more options in the run game and dump offs to RB's. 

The limitations of Fitz and the DC's gameplanning for that have really handcuffed Gailey and the offensive game plans. I don't expect a dramatic improvement with Geno , at least until he proves he can hit some deep passes , but at least it plants a seed of caution into the DC's head. 

Deep passes are completed at a rate of about 10 % in the NFL..this is not about deep passes since Fitz had plenty of 20 and 30 yard passes completed he was actually leading the NFL in that category. This team has NO running game and the scheme we are using not only lacks the players to block in the running game but it lacks the speed at the position. The Jets run 4 wide and have no fullback and our TE's block like sh*t. This is a one dimensional team and defenses play us accordingly. They drop players in coverage take away the shorter passing lanes and make it very difficult for us to do much at all in the passing game.

What Idiot runs between the Tackles in a 4 WR formation ? Forte should have been brought here to help in the passing game underneath the coverage instead we are running him up the middle and nothing is there. He's not a banger anymore at the age of 31 and he is being used wrong. In the first 3 games of the season I think Powell was getting about 5-7 touches a game and Forte was a workhorse with 25 +. Once again how much of that makes sense over the long haul ? Fitz did well last year with a good running game teams had to respect Ivory and late in the season when Powell was going off  they had to respect him. Who do they respect in the running game now ? Teams are dropping into coverage and Fitz is accommodating them by forcing the issue. Plenty of blame to go around other than just Fitz 

1 hour ago, 56mehl56 said:

And this years offensive cast is still lightyears better than back in 2014.

OF COURSE!!!!

Brandon Marshall alone improved the WR corp and the entire offense at least 65%!!!

How anyone can compare the WR corp we have now to the one in 2014 is absolutely beyond me!!!

I'm not sure I'd say the "stars have aligned".  The team is 1-5.  His 2nd best receiver is out for the season and the run game is completely non-existent. 

He's getting his chance in not the most ideal scenario but if there was any uncertainty with his career...he's now got a chance to salvage it.

3 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

Deep passes are completed at a rate of about 10 % in the NFL..this is not about deep passes since Fitz had plenty of 20 and 30 yard passes completed he was actually leading the NFL in that category. This team has NO running game and the scheme we are using not only lacks the players to block in the running game but it lacks the speed at the position. The Jets run 4 wide and have no fullback and our TE's block like sh*t. This is a one dimensional team and defenses play us accordingly. They drop players in coverage take away the shorter passing lanes and make it very difficult for us to do much at all in the passing game.

What Idiot runs between the Tackles in a 4 WR formation ? Forte should have been brought here to help in the passing game underneath the coverage instead we are running him up the middle and nothing is there. He's not a banger anymore at the age of 31 and he is being used wrong. In the first 3 games of the season I think Powell was getting about 5-7 touches a game and Forte was a workhorse with 25 +. Once again how much of that makes sense over the long haul ? Fitz did well last year with a good running game teams had to respect Ivory and late in the season when Powell was going off  they had to respect him. Who do they respect in the running game now ? Teams are dropping into coverage and Fitz is accommodating them by forcing the issue. Plenty of blame to go around other than just Fitz 

Throwing deep passes and being able to burn a secondary for a quick strike TD are two different things. Fitz can throw deep but it often looks like a punt and more often than not ends up being at best a 50-50 ball where our wr either has to stop or come back and fight for the ball. Marshall alone saved Fitz about a dozen int's last year in this exact scenario.  The team has no running game because the box is stacked.

This offense is one dimensional because Dc's have done their homework, they've scouted Fitz and the Gailey gamefilm, they know they can eliminate chunks of the field in coverage, their jobs have been made easy through our limitations. 

I agree Forte is being misused but again teams are clogging that portion the field the dumpoffs, screens, quick hitters to the RB has been neutralized by all the traffic 5-10 within the LOS.  With stronger armed QB's the team will be able to stretch out the field , which loosens up those intermediate areas, making the Forte type plays viable again.

How exactly is Geno going to hit a deep ball when guys like Anderson and Peake can't get open ? 

Look I am not the biggest Geno Smith fan in the world but I don't see the Oline getting any better and without a running game and a healthy Decker I can't see the Jets winning this Sunday.

I just want Geno to go out and play a smart game. If they lose so be it.

10 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Throwing deep passes and being able to burn a secondary for a quick strike TD are two different things. Fitz can throw deep but it often looks like a punt and more often than not ends up being at best a 50-50 ball where our wr either has to stop or come back and fight for the ball. Marshall alone saved Fitz about a dozen int's last year in this exact scenario.  The team has no running game because the box is stacked.

This offense is one dimensional because Dc's have done their homework, they've scouted Fitz and the Gailey gamefilm, they know they can eliminate chunks of the field in coverage, their jobs have been made easy through our limitations. 

I agree Forte is being misused but again teams are clogging that portion the field the dumpoffs, screens, quick hitters to the RB has been neutralized by all the traffic 5-10 within the LOS.  With stronger armed QB's the team will be able to stretch out the field , which loosens up those intermediate areas, making the Forte type plays viable again.

Well Fitz had all the same limitations last year and went on a 13 TD 1 Int roll late in the season with a 5 game winning streak. I don't subscribe to the Fitz bad arm theory I think his arm is fine I do however think he was forcing the Issue at an alarming rate this year causing most if not all of his problems. In most games we came out slinging the football and that's not the game plan wee should be running I think we can all agree on that. Fitz was supposed to be a solid game manager not a gun slinger. Yet we did nothing to fortify our running game other than dump our FB, push out TE's who cant block, and run 4 WR sets. This is not a winning formula and I think it takes away from what Fitz was actually supposed to be in the first place

Archived