Jump to content
SMC

Your 2016-2017 New York Knicks Thread!!!

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Begley also reported yesterday that Melo is confident he's going to Houston. Third team will definitely have to be involved as Houston will have to move Anderson and Mills is refusing a 1-for-1. I don't know who the hell is going to take on Anderson's deal because that is one of the worst contracts in the league, but stranger things have happened.

Morey loves Melo. Always has. They put that big poster up of him in a Rockets jersey (the one where they gave him Lin's number and then Lin got all pissed) when Morey was pitching him as a FA and Morey never made any secret of any of this. The fact that Paul is there now and the Rockets are trying to load up to challenge GS makes Houston the most logical partner, even more than Cleveland.

None of this is cryptic. It's been all out in the open. Just a matter of if they can find a third team at this point.

I'm hearing a three way trade with the Bulls.  Rockets get Melo, we get Rondo and bulls get Ariza and another player

 

I'll take that deal.  Just pls no more trading draft picks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, thadude said:

I'm hearing a three way trade with the Bulls.  Rockets get Melo, we get Rondo and bulls get Ariza and another player

 

I'll take that deal.  Just pls no more trading draft picks

Rondo is a free agent. Bulls waived him 2 weeks ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Rondo is a free agent. Bulls waived him 2 weeks ago.

It would be a sign and trade the Knicks can only offer Rondo $4.3 mil as a free agent

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, thadude said:

It would be a sign and trade the Knicks can only offer Rondo $4.3 mil as a free agent

 

 

The only way that works is if the Bulls agree to take on Ryan Anderson's crazy contract which has 3/60 left on it.  Rockets can't do a deal for Melo without getting rid of Anderson because they're up against the cap.

In any deal between Rockets and Knicks, a third team has to be involved.  Bulls work because they are so far under the cap and have a $15M trade exception for Butler.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Steve mills as president???allan Houston as gm?? Why does this "organization" always have a laggard from the past regime that prevents us from ever truly cleaning house? Herb Williams, Allan Houston, Steve mills, isiah Thomas, Kurt rambis....we are never able to really hit the reset button

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think the money for the Baker contract is outrageous at all.  2 years $8.9 mil is chump change in today's NBA where JAG's are getting close to max deals and JJ Reddick is getting $20+ million.  Baker was actually decent last year and probably will end up as the starting pg 

 

What I do not get is Baker having a player option after next season.  Baker is going to be good next season and he will get a big offer if he hits the market next summer as UFA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

This Baker contract. Oh my god.

I am starting to think Mills doesn't understand the CBA. We are ******* doomed.

Yeah, the Baker contract number is nuts, but I don't understand people's criticism of the player option.  It's not 2 years plus an option.  It's 1 year and the second year is an option if Baker picks it up.  Same for Timmy.

The reason they gave Baker a player option is that they get his full Bird's rights next year if he opts out because he's been on the team for 2 consecutive seasons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, SMC said:

Yeah, the Baker contract number is nuts, but I don't understand people's criticism of the player option.  It's not 2 years plus an option.  It's 1 year and the second year is an option if Baker picks it up.  Same for Timmy.

The reason they gave Baker a player option is that they get his full Bird's rights next year if he opts out because he's been on the team for 2 consecutive seasons.

The reason they gave Baker a player option is Mills is stupid and Baker's agent isn't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, SMC said:

Yeah, the Baker contract number is nuts, but I don't understand people's criticism of the player option.  It's not 2 years plus an option.  It's 1 year and the second year is an option if Baker picks it up.  Same for Timmy.

The reason they gave Baker a player option is that they get his full Bird's rights next year if he opts out because he's been on the team for 2 consecutive seasons.

Come on man. A 2 year deal with a player option is the worst contract you can possibly hand out and you know it. They play well, they opt out and leave and get paid market value for more. They play poorly, they opt in and take the money.  There is no benefit to the team in this signing given the structure of the contract. The Hardaway and Baker deals show that Mills doesn't know anything about cap space or how the CBA works at all. You build a team by having players on contracts that are cheaper than the results they give you on the court. Why the **** does Ron Baker get a player option? Ron Baker? Seriously?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And keep in mind, if the Melo deal falls through, the cap flexibility that we had at the beginning of the summer is now gone for the next few years, and we used that on Tim Hardaway and Ron Baker. WHAT.

Also, for reference, KP and Baker are going to be making the same amount of money this year. Let that sink in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

And keep in mind, if the Melo deal falls through, the cap flexibility that we had at the beginning of the summer is now gone for the next few years, and we used that on Tim Hardaway and Ron Baker. WHAT.

Also, for reference, KP and Baker are going to be making the same amount of money this year. Let that sink in.

Seems about right, honestly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SMC said:

Yeah, the Baker contract number is nuts, but I don't understand people's criticism of the player option.  It's not 2 years plus an option.  It's 1 year and the second year is an option if Baker picks it up.  Same for Timmy.

The reason they gave Baker a player option is that they get his full Bird's rights next year if he opts out because he's been on the team for 2 consecutive seasons.

So you think 2 years $8.9 mil for Baker is "nuts" but to use the Bird exception to give him another, much bigger contract next summer after he gets starter minutes next season makes sense

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

And keep in mind, if the Melo deal falls through, the cap flexibility that we had at the beginning of the summer is now gone for the next few years, and we used that on Tim Hardaway and Ron Baker. WHAT.

Also, for reference, KP and Baker are going to be making the same amount of money this year. Let that sink in.

The Hardway deal was retarded but Baker getting $4 mil salary is not outrageous at all.  The dumb part is giving Baker an opt out

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Come on man. A 2 year deal with a player option is the worst contract you can possibly hand out and you know it. They play well, they opt out and leave and get paid market value for more. They play poorly, they opt in and take the money.  There is no benefit to the team in this signing given the structure of the contract. The Hardaway and Baker deals show that Mills doesn't know anything about cap space or how the CBA works at all. You build a team by having players on contracts that are cheaper than the results they give you on the court. Why the **** does Ron Baker get a player option? Ron Baker? Seriously?

Baker is going to get starter minutes next season and be quite productive.  This is Jeremy Lin part 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Come on man. A 2 year deal with a player option is the worst contract you can possibly hand out and you know it. They play well, they opt out and leave and get paid market value for more. They play poorly, they opt in and take the money.  There is no benefit to the team in this signing given the structure of the contract. The Hardaway and Baker deals show that Mills doesn't know anything about cap space or how the CBA works at all. You build a team by having players on contracts that are cheaper than the results they give you on the court. Why the **** does Ron Baker get a player option? Ron Baker? Seriously?

I don't mind the player option.  Baker walks, he walks.  I have a problem with the $4 mil salary.  That's too much for 1 year or middling production.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

The reason they gave Baker a player option is Mills is stupid and Baker's agent isn't.

That's an explanation as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, thadude said:

So you think 2 years $8.9 mil for Baker is "nuts" but to use the Bird exception to give him another, much bigger contract next summer after he gets starter minutes next season makes sense

If he gets the Bird exception it means he's earned it.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, thadude said:

The Hardway deal was retarded but Baker getting $4 mil salary is not outrageous at all.  The dumb part is giving Baker an opt out

Actually, Hardaway's deal was market, but Knicks didn't game it right by seeing if they could pay him less to just above what Hawks would match.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, SMC said:

Actually, Hardaway's deal was market, but Knicks didn't game it right by seeing if they could pay him less to just above what Hawks would match.

Hardaway is a streaky shooter who is a mediocre defender.  JR Smith minus the attitude problems. Even if they get rid of Melo we still have Lee and Kuzminskas as wing players plus Dotson killed it in the summer league and already looks ready.  Nktilina can also play some at the 2

 

The Hardaway contract is how I know Isiah is in charge again

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, SMC said:

Actually, Hardaway's deal was market, but Knicks didn't game it right by seeing if they could pay him less to just above what Hawks would match.

Giving him an option and a trade kicker was market? Stop it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JOJOTOWNSELL said:

all this Melo talk and we sorta have no clue who/what we are going to get back......anyone have a clue?

Nothing.  We should try to trade him in February instead

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Giving him an option and a trade kicker was market? Stop it.

Yes, I was talking about money being the market.  The option and trade kicker was likely for RFA purposes.

BTW, Ian Begley is reporting that the Knicks are negotiating with Scott Perry to be the new GM.  He's a long-time NBA executive who worked in Detroit under Dumars, OKC, Orlando and Sacramento.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now




×