Your 2016-2017 New York Knicks Thread!!!

SMC

5 hours ago, SMC said:

No, more important stat: Real Plus Minus

Real plus minus is neither important nor a stat. But that doesn't really matter. Just put the whole argument about the respective merits of the various metrics that seek to boil performance down to a single number off to the side. Looking at the basic per minute and shooting numbers for Porzingis doesn't tell you anything that should massively conflict with what you're watching.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Matt39 said:

This is aggressive

You don't really understand what it is to be a Knicks fan.

There's no need to be cautious for fear that Porzingis won't be that good.  No, he's going to be THAT good.  The fear is that he'll be that good and in 3 years be fed up with the Knicks and sign with the Lakers to play along side Russell and Ingrim under Coach Walton.

9 hours ago, SMC said:

You don't really understand what it is to be a Knicks fan.

There's no need to be cautious for fear that Porzingis won't be that good.  No, he's going to be THAT good.  The fear is that he'll be that good and in 3 years be fed up with the Knicks and sign with the Lakers to play along side Russell and Ingrim under Coach Walton.

Melo, Noah, Lee, and Thomas are on the books for 66M in 18/19. Nine years to get back to where we were in 2010 and all we will have had to show for it is one real run with Kidd and Chandler plus whatever Porzingis turns into. And that's if we don't get way ahead of ourselves and decide he's already there which is only gonna lead to more dumb sh*t.

5 hours ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

Melo, Noah, Lee, and Thomas are on the books for 66M in 18/19. Nine years to get back to where we were in 2010 and all we will have had to show for it is one real run with Kidd and Chandler plus whatever Porzingis turns into. And that's if we don't get way ahead of ourselves and decide he's already there which is only gonna lead to more dumb sh*t.

Well the Knicks are making the playoffs this season and have a future all-pro on the roster but whatevs u say

Important stretch of games over the next 2 and a half weeks. 6 of their next 9 are at home followed by a long west coast trip; which doesn't consist of the toughest stretch of opponents (Denver, Phoenix, Kings...etc), but with how brutal these guys are on the road it would be a big plus if they could head out for that a few games over .500. They have back to back games coming up against Minny, which should be a fun couple of nights because him and Towns seem to like going at it.

All in all it looks like they're on pace for at least 20 wins by the break, which is right where I figured they'd be. Key differences as I see if from when the season began are Kristaps' meteoric sophomore leap and Jennings, who has been way better than I expected. This roster is still such a work in progress but it really does look like they run a much more efficient offense when he's out on the floor and he's emerging as a nice little leader in the locker room. Great signing.

• Upvote 1

Jennings needs to convert more, better at the rim and his jumper.  That's the Knicks scoring issue right now although, overall, their O is fine (although Lee needs to shoot less and be his efficient career self).  They can ride Melo and KP all season.  Defensive commitment and consistency is the key.

KP's leap is comparable to what other superstars have done early in their careers either between their rookie and sophomore season, or sophomore and 3rd season.  LeBron went from 20.9 ppg as a rookie to 27.2 ppg, Wade went from 16.2 ppg to 24.1 ppg, Durant went from 20.3 ppg to 25.3 ppg, and Anthony Davis went from 13.5 ppg to 20.8 ppg. Westbrook made the leap between his 2nd and 3rd seasons, going from 16.1 to 21.9 and Melo also between 2nd and 3rd 20.8 to 26.5.  Each of the above improved their shooting percentage, as KP has as well.  Right now, KP went from 14.3 to 20.2 while improving his shooting % from .421 to .495.

1 hour ago, SMC said:

Jennings needs to convert more, better at the rim and his jumper.  That's the Knicks scoring issue right now although, overall, their O is fine (although Lee needs to shoot less and be his efficient career self).  They can ride Melo and KP all season.  Defensive commitment and consistency is the key.

KP's leap is comparable to what other superstars have done early in their careers either between their rookie and sophomore season, or sophomore and 3rd season.  LeBron went from 20.9 ppg as a rookie to 27.2 ppg, Wade went from 16.2 ppg to 24.1 ppg, Durant went from 20.3 ppg to 25.3 ppg, and Anthony Davis went from 13.5 ppg to 20.8 ppg. Westbrook made the leap between his 2nd and 3rd seasons, going from 16.1 to 21.9 and Melo also between 2nd and 3rd 20.8 to 26.5.  Each of the above improved their shooting percentage, as KP has as well.  Right now, KP went from 14.3 to 20.2 while improving his shooting % from .421 to .495.

Jennings has been much better than Rose. He should really be starting.

LeBron's WP48 went from .060 as a rookie to .238 his second season. Wade went from .128 to .166 to .250 his first three years. Durant -.011 to .141 to .235. Davis was a beast right out of the gate, .190 as a rookie. Westbrook is really just hitting his stride, not having performed at a star level over a full season until 14/15. Carmelo is and always has been a flaming bag of dogsh*t with only one meaningfully above average season in his whole career.

So far Porzingis is .039 to .102. Meaning we're on track for the breakout next year, not that it's already happened. And again, it's not hard to see where the improvement needs to come. Better shot selection (less long twos) to compensate for the positive variance that's inflating his TS% together with rebounding, blocks, and fouls at least returning to last year's levels and he's solidly above average. Add in such growth and development as can reasonably be expected to come with a little more experience and he'll be a real star. He's already as good a one-dimensional scorer as Carmelo is at his very best, so it's understandable that people who think that makes a star feel like he's already arrived.

4 hours ago, SMC said:

The thing is I'm not sure how to even evaluate any of this yet. I caught a bunch of yesterday's game and they look like a completely different team from the first few games with how they're running the floor because I don't think anyone on that staff expected Porzingis to be this good this soon. So now they're caught in this weird spot where the vets are trying to learn the intricacies of each other and centering the offense around Porzingis more than they initially expected. This is going to be a different team week-to-week and month-to-month until probably around February.

4 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

The thing is I'm not sure how to even evaluate any of this yet. I caught a bunch of yesterday's game and they look like a completely different team from the first few games with how they're running the floor because I don't think anyone on that staff expected Porzingis to be this good this soon. So now they're caught in this weird spot where the vets are trying to learn the intricacies of each other and centering the offense around Porzingis more than they initially expected. This is going to be a different team week-to-week and month-to-month until probably around February.

Knicks are just better when Noah doesn't play.  Noah is too slow, O'Quinn and Hernangomez play much better defense and are more dynamic offensively while Noah can't put the ball in the ocean.  O'Quinn even his a legit jump shot

12 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I change my mind. i watched Josh Jackson play tonight. Let's tank this bitch for that guy.

LOL, there's too many awful teams in NBA in order to get in the top 5 range to have a shot and the right ping pong bounce.  Phil had to gut the team and that only got them as high as 4th.  Thankfully the Basketball Gods blessed them for actually trying and winning 2 of their last 3 to finish the season and blow the chance at the top pick.  Remember, the Knicks were the only team to drop in that lottery that year.  

1 hour ago, SMC said:

LOL, there's too many awful teams in NBA in order to get in the top 5 range to have a shot and the right ping pong bounce.  Phil had to gut the team and that only got them as high as 4th.  Thankfully the Basketball Gods blessed them for actually trying and winning 2 of their last 3 to finish the season and blow the chance at the top pick.  Remember, the Knicks were the only team to drop in that lottery that year.  

Porzingis/Jackson 2020. Make the Garden Great Again.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Larz said:

I enjoyed that game.  good brand of ball for the most part, close game, good finish

What does that even mean, good brand of ball? I've seen better defense in all-star games. It's nice to get a win when Carmelo has one of his trademark crapfests but Portland is kind of awful and this is really not a game that should be close at home. Porzingis shot the lights out again but he can't stand around and watch on defense like this when Noah is out.

35 minutes ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

What does that even mean, good brand of ball? I've seen better defense in all-star games. It's nice to get a win when Carmelo has one of his trademark crapfests but Portland is kind of awful and this is really not a game that should be close at home. Porzingis shot the lights out again but he can't stand around and watch on defense like this when Noah is out.

htr

11 hours ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

Guess you never played

It's ok, not judging you

On 11/23/2016 at 11:25 AM, RutgersJetFan said:

I think they're better off bringing Noah off the bench for now. That's a pair of wins without him on the court and Hernangomez looks legit for sure.

I agree.  Noah is still a productive player with his rebounding but O'Quinn should start with Hernangomes being primary backup.

14 hours ago, SMC said:

I've always liked Rose.  He's a tragic figure now.  If he's still a good player and can stay healthy (even if not MVPesque) I hope they re-sign him

I would resign him at a one year deal but he will probably be able to get a multi-year deal on the open market.  

14 hours ago, SMC said:

I've always liked Rose.  He's a tragic figure now.  If he's still a good player and can stay healthy (even if not MVPesque) I hope they re-sign him

Rose is terrible and we're already past the point of having any hope that anybody figures it out. Fourteen goddamn games in and already we need something to save the Knicks from themselves. Most likely another injury, maybe he's fake-good enough to fool somebody else into pricing us out. This season is going pretty much as badly as it possibly could in terms of the long-term impact.