Your 2016-2017 New York Knicks Thread!!!

SMC

12 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Portland just traded Crabbe to Brooklyn for Andrew Nicholson. According to Woj, they will stretch and waive his $12 million. Clears up a lot of cap room, hopefully for Anderson. I wonder if they're keen on taking Lee also.

I sincerely hope we don't get suckered into taking on Leonard.

I dont think Portland is looking to take on salary.  They were due to pay something like 48 million in luxury taxes before they traded crabbe.  Now its down like 5 million.  

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Matt39 said:

I dont see how this doesnt end in a buyout. Assuming Melo wanting out at all costs is true.

Knicks aren't buying out Melo.  Jeesh.  Get it through your skull.  That's a financial decision NOT basketball decision.

Satan just fired Phil to pay him $24 mil so they wouldn't have to buyout Melo's $54 mil.  He's paying Mills more money and also is paying Perry's salary. And now you still think he's going to buyout Melo's $54 mil?

I have no idea what's going to happen to Melo, but buying him out is not an option.  Mills said point blank in their press conference that a buyout isn't happening.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, gqxluvx said:

I dont think Portland is looking to take on salary.  They were due to pay something like 48 million in luxury taxes before they traded crabbe.  Now its down like 5 million.  

Spot on.  The Portland move saved them a ton in luxury taxes.  They can't take on any more salary and they don't have the space to bring in Anderson, whom no one wants.

2 hours ago, SMC said:

Knicks aren't buying out Melo.  Jeesh.  Get it through your skull.  That's a financial decision NOT basketball decision.

Satan just fired Phil to pay him $24 mil so they wouldn't have to buyout Melo's $54 mil.  He's paying Mills more money and also is paying Perry's salary. And now you still think he's going to buyout Melo's $54 mil?

I have no idea what's going to happen to Melo, but buying him out is not an option.  Mills said point blank in their press conference that a buyout isn't happening.

Here's the thing. Melo isnt worth anything trade wise. The media and the general public still thinks he is. There's a massive gap there. It's a PR nightmare. The Knicks probably arent going to consent to a trade that will get them publicly flogged(well, with the Knicks anything is possible I guess). The best you are going to get for Carmelo is Anderson. It's either that, a buyout, or a sh*tstorm he'll throw if the Knicks dont buy out the contract. Either way, the Knicks are screwed.

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

Here's the thing. Melo isnt worth anything trade wise. The media and the general public still thinks he is. There's a massive gap there. It's a PR nightmare. The Knicks probably arent going to consent to a trade that will get them publicly flogged(well, with the Knicks anything is possible I guess). The best you are going to get for Carmelo is Anderson. It's either that, a buyout, or a sh*tstorm he'll throw if the Knicks dont buy out the contract. Either way, the Knicks are screwed.

Regardless of what you think of Melo's value, Mills and multiple news reports have debunked the idea that the Knicks would buy him out.  It's an idiotic idea to begin with.  HE HAS AN OPT OUT AFTER THE SEASON.  It makes absolutely zero financial sense to buy him out.  Heck, it makes zero financial sense to take on Anderson's deal ($60 mil for 3 years) when they'll be rid of Melo's salary after this season.  

I have no idea why you keep going back to this buyout idiocy.  It's not a matter of being "screwed."  They make a bad deal, so be it.  But they're not buying him out at $54 mil when he is only due $27 mil this season and has an opt out.

7 minutes ago, SMC said:

Regardless of what you think of Melo's value, Mills and multiple news reports have debunked the idea that the Knicks would buy him out.  It's an idiotic idea to begin with.  HE HAS AN OPT OUT AFTER THE SEASON.  It makes absolutely zero financial sense to buy him out.  Heck, it makes zero financial sense to take on Anderson's deal ($60 mil for 3 years) when they'll be rid of Melo's salary after this season.  

I have no idea why you keep going back to this buyout idiocy.  It's not a matter of being "screwed."  They make a bad deal, so be it.  But they're not buying him out at $54 mil when he is only due $27 mil this season and has an opt out.

Because there's no deal on the table that's going to have a better return than just ripping the bandaid off via the buyout. The Knicks would get killed publicly if they traded Melo for Anderson, way more so than negotiating a buyout. Melo is worth nothing, get that through your head. He is worth nothing. The gap between his actual value vs morons like Stephen A is massive.

Melo wants to go to Houston. If he's not sent there we're looking at a Marbury situation x 10000. He will go full nuclear. The Knicks will ultimately cave, like they always do.

On July 26, 2017 at 10:39 PM, SMC said:

Just keep Melo.  Seriously.  Lebron is leaving Cleveland next summer.  I doubt he goes to the Lakers he has it too easy in the west. He does want to play with Melo.  If not, Melo is off the books in 2 years anyway

On July 27, 2017 at 0:43 AM, Matt39 said:

Lebron wants to play with Melo and Kyrie wants to come here.  So he is worth that

I'm not a huge Kyrie fan.  Shoot first pg with no D he's another Marbury.  If we don't have to give up any picks fine

On 7/26/2017 at 9:41 PM, Matt39 said:

Because there's no deal on the table that's going to have a better return than just ripping the bandaid off via the buyout. The Knicks would get killed publicly if they traded Melo for Anderson, way more so than negotiating a buyout. Melo is worth nothing, get that through your head. He is worth nothing. The gap between his actual value vs morons like Stephen A is massive.

Melo wants to go to Houston. If he's not sent there we're looking at a Marbury situation x 10000. He will go full nuclear. The Knicks will ultimately cave, like they always do.

Avoiding getting "killed publicly" is not worth $54 million.  Again, you're living in a fantasy world.

The Knicks may cave on a trade, but they're not going to buy Melo out because that is out of Mills and Perry's hands.  That's purely a financial decision which the MSG accounts have to deal with. That's why buying Melo out was dead in the water.  That's why Phil got fired for pushing for it.

On 7/31/2017 at 4:00 AM, thadude said:

Lebron wants to play with Melo and Kyrie wants to come here.  So he is worth that

I'm not a huge Kyrie fan.  Shoot first pg with no D he's another Marbury.  If we don't have to give up any picks fine

Both Kyrie and Marbury won championships.  Just sayin'

2 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

?

@ Lincoln?  

Maybe I just don't get the jokes in the basketball forum.

In China!  

marbury12s-1-web.jpg

They even made him a statue

marbury-statue.jpg

He won 3 championships in the Chinese Basketball Association (2012, 2014 and 2015) and will likely go to the HOF because of his Chinese exploits.

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, SMC said:

Avoiding getting "killed publicly" is not worth $54 million.  Again, you're living in a fantasy world.

The Knicks may cave on a trade, but they're not going to buy Melo out because that is out of Mills and Perry's hands.  That's purely a financial decision which the MSG accounts have to deal with. That's why buying Melo out was dead in the water.  That's why Phil got fired for pushing for it.

The opt-out is at least as certain not to happen. Free agency is gonna be a slaughterhouse for the players next year. He doesn't want any part of that. All the talk revolving around Anderson is pretty much a dead giveaway that the secret is out on Carmelo. He's going to play out the whole deal unless something somehow lines up with the cap for 19-20 so his expiring deal has value to a contender that everybody can pretend is his value as a player and save some face.

13 hours ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

The opt-out is at least as certain not to happen. Free agency is gonna be a slaughterhouse for the players next year. He doesn't want any part of that. All the talk revolving around Anderson is pretty much a dead giveaway that the secret is out on Carmelo. He's going to play out the whole deal unless something somehow lines up with the cap for 19-20 so his expiring deal has value to a contender that everybody can pretend is his value as a player and save some face.

Poor Melo is going to miss the banana boat again, then.

16 hours ago, thadude said:

At first I was outraged by this contract but the more I thought about I realized we got the steal of offseason free agency

THJ can ball.  The outrage was purely anti-Knicks driven.  It was a market contract and he's getting paid less than lesser players like Crabbe. 

14 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Do you think he honestly gives a sh*t? He's got the Knicks by the balls.

Yes and yes.  Yes, he gives a sh*t because he's stated repeatedly that he wants to play with LeBron, Wade and Paul.  So Team Banana Boat is important to him.  And, yes, he has the Knicks by the balls if they want to trade him because of the stupid NTC.  Thanks, Phil

On 8/2/2017 at 8:23 AM, SMC said:

THJ can ball.  The outrage was purely anti-Knicks driven.  It was a market contract and he's getting paid less than lesser players like Crabbe. 

JR Smith was a big reason THJ couldn't blossom here.  He clearly got a lot better in ATL

On 8/3/2017 at 10:45 AM, SMC said:

Yes and yes.  Yes, he gives a sh*t because he's stated repeatedly that he wants to play with LeBron, Wade and Paul.  So Team Banana Boat is important to him.  And, yes, he has the Knicks by the balls if they want to trade him because of the stupid NTC.  Thanks, Phil

Stated wow you don't say. And repeatedly! Yeah, he'll probably leave a cool 28 on the table for what the (still basically stupid) market will bear. Because words. You seriously need to make your peace with the notion that there are two years left on this deal.

19 hours ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

Stated wow you don't say. And repeatedly! Yeah, he'll probably leave a cool 28 on the table for what the (still basically stupid) market will bear. Because words. You seriously need to make your peace with the notion that there are two years left on this deal.

Just keep Melo and only play him 20 minutes a night so he and KP aren't on the floor together   Knicks actually have a legitimate shot at Lebron next summer when he opts out from Cleveland

On 8/4/2017 at 2:28 PM, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

We'll see what Melo does next summer. If he plays out the 2 years so be it. If he opts out you'll be wrong again and either disappear again for a protracted period of time or change your name again