Is this one of the more mystifying lost seasons?

Dcronin

A lot of you have been fans of this team longer than I have.

Every lost season I can remember were either nail biters until the end, which the Jets blew, like last year, or were ones you could see a mile away (the year Vinny went down, the year Sanchez went down.)

Other than a tough schedule staring us in the face, did anyone see evidence that this season would drift away into the mist like this, with barely a sound?

Very odd. I simply can't get over the fact that we are near the bottom of the league in pass defense. We are practically Colts level bad this year.

DC

16 minutes ago, Dcronin said:

Every lost season I can remember were either nail biters until the end, which the Jets blew, like last year, or were ones you could see a mile away (the year Vinny went down, the year Sanchez went down.)

Other than a tough schedule staring us in the face, did anyone see evidence that this season would drift away into the mist like this, with barely a sound?

Very odd. I simply can't get over the fact that we are near the bottom of the league in pass defense. We are practically Colts level bad this year.

DC

When we cut Miliner, McDougle, and EVERYONE else except Marcus Williams and Skrine, I feared the secondary could expose us. But NOT to the degree it has shown itself to be. Our REAL achilles heal is that we don't have a legit #2 CB and safties that can't cover the deep portion of the field. Poor receiver coverage and quick passes by opposing teams relegates our DLine pass rush from irrelevant to nonexistent. 

deja vu ?:blink:

1 minute ago, Gas2No99 said:

When we cut Miliner, McDougle, and EVERYONE else except Marcus Williams and Skrine, I feared the secondary could expose us. But NOT to the degree it has shown itself to be. Our REAL achilles heal is that we don't have a legit #2 CB and safties that can't cover the deep portion of the field. 

To be fair no pass rush does help either. 

3 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

To be fair no pass rush does help either. 

True. I went back and clarified my point. you have to factor that teams ADJUSTED into quick 3 step drops to get the ball out quickly and that results in the DLine being rendered obsolete. More pressure on the coverage of DBs to maintain so DLine can get there but it's NOT happening. Arz game was a PERFECT example of Palmer dink & dunking to avoid Jets pass rush and BARRAGE of ineffective blitzes.

I don't think it's completely mystifying. There are some real head scratching things going on. Most people knew that there would be some regression to the mean on Fitz, no one honestly thought the pendulum would swing so far in the other direction that he's now been benched for a player that won't even be a Jet next season. I don't think anyone could foresee the sharp decline in the performance of the running game and the defense to bottom of the league performances. There was hope that even with the shortcomings of the quarterback, that the weapons on offense and the solid play of the defense could balance that equation. It hasn't happened. There have. Even failures on every level of this team from the owner on down. But I don't think it's a big shock to anyone. 

This is the Jets after all. 

41 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

When we cut Miliner, McDougle, and EVERYONE else except Marcus Williams and Skrine, I feared the secondary could expose us. But NOT to the degree it has shown itself to be. Our REAL achilles heal is that we don't have a legit #2 CB and safties that can't cover the deep portion of the field. Poor receiver coverage and quick passes by opposing teams relegates our DLine pass rush from irrelevant to nonexistent. 

There are those that would say we don't have a legit #1 corner either.

31 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

I don't think it's completely mystifying. There are some real head scratching things going on. Most people knew that there would be some regression to the mean on Fitz, no one honestly thought the pendulum would swing so far in the other direction that he's now been benched for a player that won't even be a Jet next season. I don't think anyone could foresee the sharp decline in the performance of the running game and the defense to bottom of the league performances. There was hope that even with the shortcomings of the quarterback, that the weapons on offense and the solid play of the defense could balance that equation. It hasn't happened. There have. Even failures on every level of this team from the owner on down. But I don't think it's a big shock to anyone. 

bowles is to blame for the runnin ggame. the idiot took an old running back who was injured last year and fed him the ball 30 something times a game and killed the dude. there was no reason for it since we have a decent rb in powell. bowles is a major problem for the team and needs to go. granted we need to fix the roster too (qb is a major problem if hack stays sh*tty) but that can't be done in one season. head coach can be replaced in one off-season. macaggnan should be on a short leash at this point.

5 minutes ago, neckdemon said:

bowles is to blame for the runnin ggame. the idiot took an old running back who was injured last year and fed him the ball 30 something times a game and killed the dude. there was no reason for it since we have a decent rb in powell. bowles is a major problem for the team and needs to go. granted we need to fix the roster too (qb is a major problem if hack stays sh*tty) but that can't be done in one season. head coach can be replaced in one off-season. macaggnan should be on a short leash at this point.

According to Bowles himself he has nothing to do with the offense and the playcalling. 

Just now, kevinc855 said:

Through 6 games Fitz had 0 touchdowns and 11 interceptions in the 2nd half. If you told me thag before the season I chuckle at you and tell you to stop being dramatic. Then it happened for real. Yea lucky to have to one w in the bank

Second yr from Fitz is usually bad. Marshall is never as good as his first yr. Why the are both fringe players. Ferguson retiring was a huge lost. Everybody on defense seems 1/2 step slower and playing w/o passion. Forte was a hope signing and we need powell to carry the load

DC

I saw this coming a mile away. I don't know how you could look at Fitzpatrick's entire 11 years in the league and not think last year was just a flash in the pan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Then why be a fan why root for failures?  There are 31 other NFL teams you can be a fan of where maybe the players and the owner isn't a failure. 

Turnaround is fair play Carl. 

At 1-5 the season is far from over we need to have faith in the NY Jets. 

25 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Then why be a fan why root for failures?  There are 31 other NFL teams you can be a fan of where maybe the players and the owner isn't a failure. 

Turnaround is fair play Carl. 

At 1-5 the season is far from over we need to have faith in the NY Jets. 

I'm not rooting for failures. I just know when to expect them. 

And it's turnabout not turnaround. 

8 hours ago, flgreen said:

This is all around the worst performing  team since the Rich Kotite era. Not necesiliary the least talented.   That may be a clue as what it will take to fix it

No way this team is as bad as the 4 win Rex team. 

13 minutes ago, LionelRichie said:

I didn't expect a great team, but I had no idea that the defense would be this bad.  

This is one of the worst defenses in the past decade.  If Bowles doesn't talk to the offense all week and the defense is historically bad, what exactly does he bring to the table then?

Nothing. He brings nothing. We were all so hopeful and fell head over heals simply because we mistook his dumb silence for strong silence since we were just so sick of Rex. 

But as to being surprised? Hell no! Dissapointed...yet again. But surprised? Lol they are still owned by woody and are still the jets.

Archived