Jump to content

Leonard Fournette + Petty: The combo of the future?


jetscrazey
 Share

Recommended Posts

We could easily be on our way to a draft pick high enough to get Fournette. If Petty impresses whenever he gets his inevitable audition later this season, which I think he can definitely do as his arm can take advantage of guys like Anderson and Devin Smith, it could give him the inside track on the starting job next season.  Marshall will probably still be in the picture too and hopefully Decker.  Combine Fournette's running ability with Petty's downfield arm and now we're talking about an offense with potential that can be hard to defend.  All this assuming Petty is mentally competent to handle the position, of course.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm going to take a guess and say Fournette goes into the 10-15 range.

I don't think he's quite the game changer Gurley or even Elliott is, and I also think he'll get hurt a lot- he's a pounder, takes a lot of shots.

 And also think Hack is the only potential franchise qb we have, not petty

  • Thumb Down 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, Obrien2Toon said:

I'm going to take a guess and say Fournette goes into the 10-15 range.

I don't think he's quite the game changer Gurley or even Elliott is, and I also think he'll get hurt a lot- he's a pounder, takes a lot of shots.

 And also think Hack is the only potential franchise qb we have, not petty

Fournette has the ability to be upp there with both the names you just mentioned. Petty didn't just have an 'pretty good' preseason. People often look past how comfortable he was in the pocket and the calm posied presence he showed the entire time leading up until he got hit in the shoulder. He went through progressions, stood in the pocket and threw a bomb to Anderson. He even further confirmed it in the article I posted a few days ago on his comfort level being sky high in game time. Anyway..if Petty develops nice in his audition then this duo would not only be great but it's something we need. A leading front of young players that one day automatically come to mind when you think 'Jets' such as Mangold and Revis did. Bring it in Mac!

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Fournette has the ability to be upp there with both the names you just mentioned. Petty didn't just have an 'pretty good' preseason. People often look past how comfortable he was in the pocket and the calm posied presence he showed the entire time leading up until he got hit in the shoulder. He went through progressions, stood in the pocket and threw a bomb to Anderson. He even further confirmed it in the article I posted a few days ago on his comfort level being sky high in game time. Anyway..if Petty develops nice in his audition then this duo would not only be great but it's something we need. A leading front of young players that one day automatically come to mind when you think 'Jets' such as Mangold and Revis did. Bring it in Mac!


Wow, revisionist history at its finest. Petty did not play that well. I watched every game and Petty made a lot of poor decisions and wild throws. He played the best out of all our QB's, but that ain't saying much at all. If Petty can become a solid franchise starter it would defy just about all NFL odds. He was a 4th round QB, and 99% chance his ceiling is a good backup. He's going to get his chance to prove the 1% this year, but no need to talk about drafting the team around him next year. The talk should be about drafting the QB who replaces him and all these hacks on our roster.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I definitely think we should draft a 20 year old power running back who is already breaking down. I think that would be a good use of resources. Perhaps we can add a left tackle with nerve damage in his lower back in the second. Then in the third we use a pick to draft Len Bias.

Either that, or trade all those picks to Cleveland for Josh Gordon.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'd love this idea, if we had no other holes I'm sorry but we need to upgrade our Oline and secondary before grabbing a running back. Petty could be the future and that'd be great but if there's even a question about his long term ability to compete at a high level Mac needs to use this high draft pick on a qb

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, jetscrazey said:

We could easily be on our way to a draft pick high enough to get Fournette. If Petty impresses whenever he gets his inevitable audition later this season, which I think he can definitely do as his arm can take advantage of guys like Anderson and Devin Smith, it could give him the inside track on the starting job next season.  Marshall will probably still be in the picture too and hopefully Decker.  Combine Fournette's running ability with Petty's downfield arm and now we're talking about an offense with potential that can be hard to defend.  All this assuming Petty is mentally competent to handle the position, of course.

I love the idea, but this only works with a top offensive line, something the Jets won't have.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Fournette has the ability to be upp there with both the names you just mentioned. Petty didn't just have an 'pretty good' preseason. People often look past how comfortable he was in the pocket and the calm posied presence he showed the entire time leading up until he got hit in the shoulder. He went through progressions, stood in the pocket and threw a bomb to Anderson. He even further confirmed it in the article I posted a few days ago on his comfort level being sky high in game time. Anyway..if Petty develops nice in his audition then this duo would not only be great but it's something we need. A leading front of young players that one day automatically come to mind when you think 'Jets' such as Mangold and Revis did. Bring it in Mac!

Gurley was there and should have been the pick. SMH.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Snell41 said:

 


Wow, revisionist history at its finest. Petty did not play that well. I watched every game and Petty made a lot of poor decisions and wild throws. He played the best out of all our QB's, but that ain't saying much at all. If Petty can become a solid franchise starter it would defy just about all NFL odds. He was a 4th round QB, and 99% chance his ceiling is a good backup. He's going to get his chance to prove the 1% this year, but no need to talk about drafting the team around him next year. The talk should be about drafting the QB who replaces him and all these hacks on our roster.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

 

99% oblivious to 1% reality. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Gurley probably not the example you want to make.  Hes gone jeremy hill/trent richardson where after a great rookie year, hes become dreadful.  Gurley is averaging less then 3 yards a carry this year.  Ouch.

If rb is what we want to do, id rather get oline w/ the 1st pick and then take a back in the 2nd or 3rd round.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Snell41 said:

 


Wow, revisionist history at its finest. Petty did not play that well. I watched every game and Petty made a lot of poor decisions and wild throws. He played the best out of all our QB's, but that ain't saying much at all. If Petty can become a solid franchise starter it would defy just about all NFL odds. He was a 4th round QB, and 99% chance his ceiling is a good backup. He's going to get his chance to prove the 1% this year, but no need to talk about drafting the team around him next year. The talk should be about drafting the QB who replaces him and all these hacks on our roster.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

 

OK, he may not have played "well," but he was head and shoulders the best QB we had in preseason.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

At this point I don't care what we draft as long as its not dline. If it's safety, corner, rb, wr, te, whatever position it is, we need playmakers. Someone who is going to make big plays game in and game out, Someone other teams actually have to game plan for.

Not a good draft for WRs or TEs.

Fournette, Cam Robinson, a QB, or a CB, 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

OK, he may not have played "well," but he was head and shoulders the best QB we had in preseason.  


I didn't argue that. I argue the idea of building a franchise around him. Building the franchise starts with replacing him and every QB on the roster.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Link to comment
Share on other sites

At this point I don't care what we draft as long as its not dline. If it's safety, corner, rb, wr, te, whatever position it is, we need playmakers. Someone who is going to make big plays game in and game out, Someone other teams actually have to game plan for.


No, we need a QB. We haven't had one since Namath.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Link to comment
Share on other sites

At this point I don't care what we draft as long as its not dline. If it's safety, corner, rb, wr, te, whatever position it is, we need playmakers. Someone who is going to make big plays game in and game out, Someone other teams actually have to game plan for.


No, we need a QB. We haven't had one since Namath.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Look, I hope Petty is a player. But there's 2 things seriously wrong with your premise.

1) If we're drafting that early, it would be foolish to draft a RB in the current state of this league. Its not a premium position any longer

2) The state of our offensive line would not allow for success of a RB. We're not the Cowboys. Not close. This will not be an elite offense until we clean up the QB and offensive line. We better do it quick though. Marshall and Decker arent spring chickens.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, jetscrazey said:

We could easily be on our way to a draft pick high enough to get Fournette. If Petty impresses whenever he gets his inevitable audition later this season, which I think he can definitely do as his arm can take advantage of guys like Anderson and Devin Smith, it could give him the inside track on the starting job next season.  Marshall will probably still be in the picture too and hopefully Decker.  Combine Fournette's running ability with Petty's downfield arm and now we're talking about an offense with potential that can be hard to defend.  All this assuming Petty is mentally competent to handle the position, of course.

If we're in a position to draft Fournette, Petty most likely isn't the future. 

  • Thumb Down 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, SR24 said:

I'd love this idea, if we had no other holes I'm sorry but we need to upgrade our Oline and secondary before grabbing a running back. Petty could be the future and that'd be great but if there's even a question about his long term ability to compete at a high level Mac needs to use this high draft pick on a qb

Agreed; you can often find a decent RB in the lower rounds where finding an LT or #1 CB in other rounds is much more rare. Besides, make a better line, and an avg. RB looks good. A great RB doesn't help with pass protection. And, unless he turns out to be the next AP, he isn't going to run with a weak OL and everyone stacking the box against us.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I definitely think we should draft a 20 year old power running back who is already breaking down. I think that would be a good use of resources. Perhaps we can add a left tackle with nerve damage in his lower back in the second. Then in the third we use a pick to draft Len Bias.

It actually sounds better then some of our resent Drafts in round 1 and 2.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Snell41 said:

 


I didn't argue that. I argue the idea of building a franchise around him. Building the franchise starts with replacing him and every QB on the roster.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

 

Well let's look at the 2017 options. Cousins is a FA and will cost $20M+ and draft pick comp.. Keenan and Hoyer are the stop gap options, neither is going to excite the vets on this team or incoming free agents.  There's always the Glennon option and to be honest, if he was any good, some team would have made a move to get him.  And if we're "lucky" enough to pick in the top 2, neither Kizer or Watson will be anywhere near ready to play next year.

So I assume that Petty and Hack are going to get the opportunity to be the guy next year.  Petty's audition will be in 2016.  The improvement I saw in Petty over the past 12 months leads me to believe he is the best option.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, bostonmajet said:

Agreed; you can often find a decent RB in the lower rounds where finding an LT or #1 CB in other rounds is much more rare. Besides, make a better line, and an avg. RB looks good. A great RB doesn't help with pass protection. And, unless he turns out to be the next AP, he isn't going to run with a weak OL and everyone stacking the box against us.

I agree that you can find great backs in the later rounds but I have to admit that all the hype on Dak is because teams have to load the box against Elliot.  Same thing with Gurley.  A lot of the RBs picked late that end up being great is because they have legitimate QBs/WRs that prevent D's from keying on them.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Tired of everyone saying drafting a running back round one is a mistake. Yes, you can find good ones in the later rounds....so how many have we found? Alright then. The last great running backs to come out are both early 1st rounders by teams who weren't scared to draft at that position early and they are now seeing the benefits of that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well let's look at the 2017 options. Cousins is a FA and will cost $20M+ and draft pick comp.. Keenan and Hoyer are the stop gap options, neither is going to excite the vets on this team or incoming free agents.  There's always the Glennon option and to be honest, if he was any good, some team would have made a move to get him.  And if we're "lucky" enough to pick in the top 2, neither Kizer or Watson will be anywhere near ready to play next year.
So I assume that Petty and Hack are going to get the opportunity to be the guy next year.  Petty's audition will be in 2016.  The improvement I saw in Petty over the past 12 months leads me to believe he is the best option.


We need to draft our future. No more stopgap FA's. We need a top 10 level franchise QB that starts for us for the next 12-15 years. Until we find a QB at that level everything is a waste of time.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I definitely think we should draft a 20 year old power running back who is already breaking down. I think that would be a good use of resources. Perhaps we can add a left tackle with nerve damage in his lower back in the second. Then in the third we use a pick to draft Len Bias.

^^Meant to be sarcastic but really no worse than the  Jets current drafting strategy. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I definitely think we should draft a 20 year old power running back who is already breaking down. I think that would be a good use of resources. Perhaps we can add a left tackle with nerve damage in his lower back in the second. Then in the third we use a pick to draft Len Bias.

Too soon, Tom.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Fournette has the ability to be upp there with both the names you just mentioned. Petty didn't just have an 'pretty good' preseason. People often look past how comfortable he was in the pocket and the calm posied presence he showed the entire time leading up until he got hit in the shoulder. He went through progressions, stood in the pocket and threw a bomb to Anderson. He even further confirmed it in the article I posted a few days ago on his comfort level being sky high in game time. Anyway..if Petty develops nice in his audition then this duo would not only be great but it's something we need. A leading front of young players that one day automatically come to mind when you think 'Jets' such as Mangold and Revis did. Bring it in Mac!

Right on petty looked like a leader of men with talent! Geno showed today he has no pocket presence, he's the same old stiff. When Fitz got in game he was throwing downfield at least! I felt petty was best qb preseason,

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



×
×
  • Create New...