Geno TORE ACL

Gas2No99

5 minutes ago, August said:

He held the ball long on two plays that he should've just gotten rid of it. But he also got the ball out quickly on other plays as well. He read the defense fine on Sunday by the way. 

just by your own admission he made the same mistake. he did not read the defense fine because he could not get rid of the ball and had taken the sack instead of getting rid of the ball or god forbid changing out of the play. The defense baited him and he fell into his same habits. that is not growing as a player that is staying the same. I read it takes something like 1000 snaps to break a bad habit with foot work or motion. I wonder how many it takes to grow and not make the same mental mistakes that geno makes. And you expect mistakes we are all people but not the same mistake 50% of the time

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply
49 minutes ago, August said:

If you thought he looked the same as he did in '13 and '14 albeit a small sample size, then there was nothing positive Geno could ever do to convince you otherwise. His pre snap reads improved, he went through progressions and made quick accurate throws. 

Lol his ACL says otherwise 

37 minutes ago, August said:

So he wasn't going through progressions at all? Stepping up in the pocket, etc? He held the ball on two plays. You had your mind made up and you're just nitpicking now.

I had my mind made up after the Oakland game last year.  He came into camp and lo and behold he looked very good to start but as usual his play faded badly.  He got into his game vs Balt and the same stuff, some nice throws, bad awareness leads to bad things.  No improvement at all.  If there was improvement Geno would be the starting Qb for the Jets right now instead of rehabbing.

I don't hate Geno, he simply is not the answer at all, he has proven it.  I'm sure there will be many teams clamoring for his services next year and giving him a chance to start.

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

I had my mind made up after the Oakland game last year.  He came into camp and lo and behold he looked very good to start but as usual his play faded badly.  He got into his game vs Balt and the same stuff, some nice throws, bad awareness leads to bad things.  No improvement at all.  If there was improvement Geno would be the starting Qb for the Jets right now instead of rehabbing.

I don't hate Geno, he simply is not the answer at all, he has proven it.  I'm sure there will be many teams clamoring for his services next year and giving him a chance to start.

I don't hate geno the person but geno the player....just utterly confounding it is time to move on

1 hour ago, rammagen said:

just by your own admission he made the same mistake. he did not read the defense fine because he could not get rid of the ball and had taken the sack instead of getting rid of the ball or god forbid changing out of the play. The defense baited him and he fell into his same habits. that is not growing as a player that is staying the same. I read it takes something like 1000 snaps to break a bad habit with foot work or motion. I wonder how many it takes to grow and not make the same mental mistakes that geno makes. And you expect mistakes we are all people but not the same mistake 50% of the time

The problem is trying to make a play when nothing was there. We can agree on that. The problem is ignoring the positives that he did in that game. If you thought he looked EXACTLY like he did in '13 then you have your mind made up, and there is nothing else we can discuss and we should agree to disagree. 

28 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

How did his play "faded"? I don't see your point there.

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

He looked the exact same.   If by throwing to his 1st read you mean quick decisive throws then you are right.  Last game, the very play that resulted in his injury was a microcosm of his career.  First read not there, flushed out, either quickly run and get out of bounds or throw the ball away.  Instead he gets caught, (no situational awareness) and gets hurt as a result.

Exact same player, excellent in about 1/3 of the things you need to be a Qb in this league, average in about 1/3 and dreadful with no improvement in the last 3rd.

Huh?

The QB drops back

Sets his feet

(Pressure from the right!)

Slides up and left

Goes to set his feet again

(Now pressure directly in front of him!!)

The injury is more about both Tackles on that play doing HORRIBLE jobs.....than QB awareness. The QB was AWARE of down (3rd) and distance and was trying to keep the drive alive. If EITHER of those Tackles does their job as designed, the QB hits the crossing route around the 50yd line.

Week-7-Geno-Smith-Bad-Geno-2.gif

9 minutes ago, thatboyjack said:

Huh?

The QB drops back

Sets his feet

(Pressure from the right!)

Slides up and left

Goes to set his feet again

(Now pressure directly in front of him!!)

The injury is more about both Tackles on that play doing HORRIBLE jobs.....than QB awareness. The QB was AWARE of down (3rd) and distance and was trying to keep the drive alive.

The ball should have been out of his hands and in the 5th row as soon as he was out of the tackle box since the receiver on that side was double covered.  He also took an angle towards the line of scrimmage instead of parallel or backwards.  He ran towards the pressure.

5 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

The ball should have been out of his hands and in the 5th row as soon as he was out of the tackle box since the receiver on that side was double covered.  He also took an angle towards the line of scrimmage instead of parallel or backwards.  He ran towards the pressure.

So the right Tackle completely missing his block and the left tackle getting blown back 5 yards on his block...are insignificant?

"He also took an angle towards the line of scrimmage"....the QB climbed the pocket

"He ran towards the pressure."....the pressure was from the QB's right. The QB moved left. The left tackle then gets DESTROYED...so the QB moved further left. The QB was eventually sacked by the defender who pressured him from the right because the right tackle TOTALLY whiffed on his assignment.

11 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

He did not run towards the pressure.  Pressure didn't come from the sideline.  

We're that desperate that we're making a sack on Geno out Tom be the worst play ever? Because it's so much worse than sacks that Brady, Rodgers, etc have taken through their careers?  

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

He did not run towards the pressure.  Pressure didn't come from the sideline.  

We're that desperate that we're making a sack on Geno out Tom be the worst play ever? Because it's so much worse than sacks that Brady, Rodgers, etc have taken through their careers?  

The guy who who forced him towards the sidelines?  Yeah that is the guy he was slanting towards and had to veer suddenly to the left and back.  The ball should have been gone then, instead he holds it tries to out run pressure whom he didn't seem aware of and got taken down.

15 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

The guy who who forced him towards the sidelines?  Yeah that is the guy he was slanting towards and had to veer suddenly to the left and back.  The ball should have been gone then, instead he holds it tries to out run pressure whom he didn't seem aware of and got taken down.

Shlt, he was sacked and injured.  Every Geno sack gets over analyzed and scrutinized looking for reasons to blame it on Geno.  He was sacked, that's it. It indicates nothing, it's a sign of nothing.  You want to argue it is along with he looked like the same QB we saw a rookie, fine.  It's total nonsense but fine

6 hours ago, August said:

The problem is trying to make a play when nothing was there. We can agree on that. The problem is ignoring the positives that he did in that game. If you thought he looked EXACTLY like he did in '13 then you have your mind made up, and there is nothing else we can discuss and we should agree to disagree. 

I agree to disagree because in 4 yrs of development he never developed. He was sacked because he can not feel pressure in the pocket and makes poor choices with the ball and held onto to the ball too long trying to make something happen when the best bet is to throw it away and line up again. It is not over analyzing, and it amazes me how people can defend a qb who should have developed and never did.Ii am not blaming for not developing but I am also not saying he did not have chances. He had good games before but people forget all the bad games he had where he made the same choices so to me yu saw something I did not see because for two time he made good plays he made teh same mistake he made previously showing he never learned from before

Archived