Petty is ready

By his own words, as quoted by New York Daily News’s Manish Mehta:

“Shoot, I want game action,” Petty said about getting a chance to play at some point this season. “I think that’s what everybody in this locker room wants… is to get an opportunity. That’s all you can ask for in life in general, much less in this game. So, I definitely want an opportunity.”

He’s right. It’s easy to understand that every player in the locker room wants to play and is waiting for the opportunity, but the team kept four quarterbacks — and an injured Petty — on their roster after the cut to 53 for a reason. It seems like Petty knows he’s close to truly competing for the starting position.

info.png
POWERED BY GIANTMEDIA

Petty is patient

That, or he’s obsessive. Maybe both. He recently told Zach Shonbrun of the New York Times he waited exactly 1,786 daysbetween his last high school start and his first collegiate start at Baylor.

His predecessor? Robert Griffin III, who, incidentally, also knows quite a bit about the frustration of injury. After that, it was Nick Florence — who’s claim to fame outside of Baylor appears to be the fact he has a Wikipedia page — who started over Petty.

Petty is funny

It’s tough not to love a player who knows how to burn trollish fans who take themselves, and the game, way too seriously.

Someone’s skin is kind of hot after that.

While he’s clearly religious, his Twitter timeline is a good collection of spiritual sentiment and humanistic observations we can all understand.

Petty has something many NFL players do not

He received one vote for the Heisman Trophy in 2014. Never mind that Marcus Mariota, Melvin Gordon, Amari Cooper, Trevone Boykin, J.T. Barrett, Jameis Winston, Tevin Coleman, Dak Prescott and Scooby Wright III all had more votes than him.

Hey, Smith didn’t get a vote his senior year. Neither did Fitzpatrick or Christian Hackenberg.

Petty seems to get up early often

This is what NFL draft analyst Mike Mayock said about Pettyleading into the draft in 2015:

“Why do I say he’s the most natural thrower in this year’s draft? He’s just one of those guys that can wake up at six in the morning, grip it and rip it. He throws the ball beautifully. Very natural. That 11 to 20-yard inside route he throws as well as any quarterback in the draft.”

And this, from Mehta:

Petty’s work ethic is commendable. He is literally the first quarterback to arrive at the facility at 5:30 each morning, according to people other than Petty.

It seems he shaved a half an hour off his time from college to the pros, so that can speak to his level of improvement as well.

Overall, It would seem Fitzpatrick is the Jets’ quarterback for the foreseeable future, but Petty likely took a step forward in terms of practice reps. Although that comes at the expense of Smith, Petty has worked hard to be where he is and it doesn’t seem like he’s going to stop working.

http://jetswire.usatoday.com/2016/10/24/6-things-to-know-about-jets-qb-bryce-petty/