Race for the # 1 Pick

Jetsfan80

Even if Bryce Petty or Christian Hackenberg end up being the "real deal" for the Jets, there's no arguing against the value of having a top pick, particularly in the top 2.  Three times in the last 5 years we've seen teams trade enormous draft capital in order to acquire a top 2 pick, with 2 of those deals happening last season. 

For the rights to take Jared Goff last year, the Rams made a deal with the Titans in which they gave up the # 15 pick in 2016, their 2017 1st round pick, two 2016 2nd rounders, a 2016 3rd rounder and a 2017 3rd rounder.  That kind of trade is what should give the Titans such a surge of talent in the next 3 years that perhaps they'll become the best team in the AFC South for years to come. 

Thus, while it's all too easy to celebrate a victory over the Ravens last week, the consequence of that loss was the Jets falling backwards in the race for the top selection next season.  Here's how we stand, with strength of schedule tiebreakers and "net points" included:

1. Cleveland Browns
2016 record: 0-7 (.542)

Net Points:  - 77

Predicted Top 10 Pick Slot:   1st

2. San Francisco 49ers
2016 record: 1-6 (.533)

Net Points: - 75

Predicted Top 10 Pick Slot:  2nd

3. Chicago Bears
2016 record: 1-6 (.578)

Net Points: - 58

Predicted Top 10 Pick Slot:  4th

4. Carolina Panthers
2016 record: 1-5 (.513)

Net Points:  - 15

Predicted Top 10 Pick Slot:  9th

5. New York Jets
2016 record:
2-5 (.553)

Net Points:  - 61

Predicted Top 10 Pick Slot:  3rd

6. Jacksonville Jaguars
2016 record: 2-4 (.463)

Net Points: - 43

Predicted Top 10 Pick Slot:   5th

7. New Orleans Saints
2016 record: 2-4 (.525)

Net Points:  - 19

Predicted Top 10 Pick Slot:  8th

8. Baltimore Ravens
2016 record: 3-4 (.438)

Net Points:  - 6

Predicted Top 10 Pick Slot:  Not Top 10

9. Indianapolis Colts
2016 record: 3-4 (.458)

Predicted Top 10 Pick Slot:  10th

10. Tennessee Titans
2016 record: 3-4 (.500)

Predicted Top 10 Pick Slot:  7th

Expected to enter Top 10 by season's end:  Rams (6th:  pick goes to Tennessee)

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

I get how awful the record is today bu I also don't see us picking anywhere near the top spot.  

Absolutely! We had a brutal schedule to start, the remainder of the season resembles last year's schedule.  This team is going to win their share of games. I for one am not giving up yet.

1 hour ago, southparkcpa said:

The next Mickey Shuler , Vernon Gholsten awaits.  ?

You mean the Mickey Shuler who is 3rd all time in Jets receiving? The Mickey Shuler who was the anchor at TE for 14 years on the Jets? The Mickey Shuler who was a two time Pro Bowler? Okay - I'll take him.

1 hour ago, Ken Shroy said:

Well Shuler was a 3rd Rd pick and a damn good one. You are wrong on him.

1 hour ago, Obrien2Toon said:

Why is Mickey Shuler and Vernon Gholston in the same sentence

39 minutes ago, FloridaJetsFan said:

You mean the Mickey Shuler who is 3rd all time in Jets receiving? The Mickey Shuler who was the anchor at TE for 14 years on the Jets? The Mickey Shuler who was a two time Pro Bowler? Okay - I'll take him.

Im working too hard. I meant Kyle Brady.  For some reason I can't edit it so yes, Im a doosh, Loved Shuler.  I meant Kyle Brady.

Difference is, there are no QBs that will merit a king's ransom in a trade up this year.

This time last year that would have been said about this last class. I don't think wentz was in first round discussion this time last year.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, jamesr said:

I don't think the Ravens game changed our position at all. But if we had lost we may have moved up in the draft order.

I believe you are correct.  Had we lost to Baltimore we'd currently be slotted in 3rd, since we statistically have had a weaker schedule compared to the Bears at this point. 

2 hours ago, Ken Shroy said:

Well Shuler was a 3rd Rd pick and a damn good one. You are wrong on him.

+1 How could anyone criticize Mickey Shuler? Shuler was a heck of a player. I think the op meant to refer to Kyle Brady, not Mickey Shuler.

3 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Even if Bryce Petty or Christian Hackenberg end up being the "real deal" for the Jets, there's no arguing against the value of having a top pick, particularly in the top 2.  Three times in the last 5 years we've seen teams trade enormous draft capital in order to acquire a top 2 pick, with 2 of those deals happening last season. 

For the rights to take Jared Goff last year, the Rams made a deal with the Titans in which they gave up the # 15 pick in 2016, their 2017 1st round pick, two 2016 2nd rounders, a 2016 3rd rounder and a 2017 3rd rounder.  That kind of trade is what should give the Titans such a surge of talent in the next 3 years that perhaps they'll become the best team in the AFC South for years to come. 

Thus, while it's all too easy to celebrate a victory over the Ravens last week, the consequence of that loss was the Jets falling backwards in the race for the top selection next season.  Here's how we stand, with strength of schedule tiebreakers and "net points" included:

1. Cleveland Browns
2016 record: 0-7 (.542)

Net Points:  - 77

Predicted Top 10 Pick Slot:   1st

2. San Francisco 49ers
2016 record: 1-6 (.533)

Net Points: - 75

Predicted Top 10 Pick Slot:  2nd

3. Chicago Bears
2016 record: 1-6 (.578)

Net Points: - 58

Predicted Top 10 Pick Slot:  4th

4. Carolina Panthers
2016 record: 1-5 (.513)

Predicted Top 10 Pick Slot:  9th

5. New York Jets
2016 record:
2-5 (.553)

Net Points:  - 61

Predicted Top 10 Pick Slot:  3rd

6. Jacksonville Jaguars
2016 record: 2-4 (.463)

Net Points: - 43

Predicted Top 10 Pick Slot:   5th

7. New Orleans Saints
2016 record: 2-4 (.525)

Net Points:  - 19

Predicted Top 10 Pick Slot:  8th

8. Baltimore Ravens
2016 record: 3-4 (.438)

Predicted Top 10 Pick Slot:  Not Top 10

9. Indianapolis Colts
2016 record: 3-4 (.458)

Predicted Top 10 Pick Slot:  10th

10. Tennessee Titans
2016 record: 3-4 (.500)

Predicted Top 10 Pick Slot:  7th

Expected to enter Top 10 by season's end:  Rams (6th:  pick goes to Tennessee)

What a dumb post. If you think one pick or trading for picks is Gona solve all the jets problems I Gota. Bridge to sell you. Root to win. Stop being an asshat

Just now, ASH1962 said:

How bad would the Harvard Interception machine like to have a TE like Mickey Shuler to throw to? That is what we are missing so desperately on offense (besides the QB). I think the op meant to refer to Kyle Brady, not Mickey Shuler.

8 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

What a dumb post. If you think one pick or trading for picks is Gona solve all the jets problems I Gota. Bridge to sell you. Root to win. Stop being an asshat

Why not?  If we had 6 first rounders to work with in a 3-year period, or 5 first rounders and a bunch of 2nds and 3rds, don't you think that would do a lot to solve all of our problems?  Or do you not build through the draft?

Or we could, you know, use said top pick to get a franchise QB.  Something we haven't had since Namath or maybe Ken O'Brien. 

We've never "tanked properly", and it always works against us.  Always.  "Rooting to win" is a great thought, but it doesn't work.  Either you need to be a true contender or you need to tank.  7-9 doesn't ever cut it in either direction.  The NFL has become the NBA. 

Must lose on Sunday.  It will be tough since Browns are  playing a first time ever QB vs the Jets.

This will be Browns 6th QB for the season..A win this week by Gang Green will seriously put the #1 pick in the draft in  doubt.

We need Fitz to throw a triple INT performance to lose.

42 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Why not?  If we had 6 first rounders to work with in a 3-year period, or 5 first rounders and a bunch of 2nds and 3rds, don't you think that would do a lot to solve all of our problems?  Or do you not build through the draft?

Or we could, you know, use said top pick to get a franchise QB.  Something we haven't had since Namath or maybe Ken O'Brien. 

We've never "tanked properly", and it always works against us.  Always.  "Rooting to win" is a great thought, but it doesn't work.  Either you need to be a true contender or you need to tank.  7-9 doesn't ever cut it in either direction.  The NFL has become the NBA. 

When have the patriots tanked? Yet they seem to make good picks like the Packers and steelers. Team likes Cleveland Titans and Rams have been drafting high for years and it hasn't taken them very far. Win baby win, you play to win

4 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

When have the patriots tanked? Yet they seem to make good picks like the Packers and steelers. Team likes Cleveland Titans and Rams have been drafting high for years and it hasn't taken them very far. Win baby win, you play to win

Helps to have a HOF QB and Coach.  

Archived