..can the jets take advantage of easier schedule down the stretch ? ? ?

kelly

22 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

The Jets are an easy part of the schedule for whomever they face.

I get that it may just be a clever, jokey reply, to say that the Jets are the easy part of the schedule for other teams. They suck! Get it? haha.

But its just not accurate, IMO. The Jets have 3 more truly tough games the rest of the way - Pats 2x and Bills in week 17. 

You could argue that THOSE 3 teams are looking forward to facing the Jets. But I wouldn't think so as these are division games, and 2 of the three will be road games for those teams. 

As far as the rest of the teams on the schedule, I don't think ANY of those teams want to face an embarrassed, desperate Jets team, with an obviously talented, yet under-performing defense and, if anything, veteran skill players on the offense. 

If I'm those teams, I worry about the Jets, regardless of my team's record. I think of those games as possible trap games. Especially if the Jets go on a run and end up 5-5 going into the bye. If I'm Miami or SF or LA or Indy, this is NOT an easy game for my team, this is not a gimme.   

57 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

The Jets are an easy part of the schedule for whomever they face.

So is whomever faces the Jets you know. You seriously think the Browns are not pointing to this Sunday as their most winnable game of the season?

15 minutes ago, ASH1962 said:

So is whomever faces the Jets you know. You seriously think the Browns are not pointing to this Sunday as their most winnable game of the season?

HA! I think you read that wrong, you guys are in total agreement. 

But the Browns are probably looking at the schedule the rest of the way and thinking, jeez, we got a lot of tough games. And they would be right. The easiest game on their schedule is the Titans, a game they lost by 2. Every team the rest of the way will be tough for them, including the Jets. The Browns are actually likely to go winless this season. Their schedule is just too tough and they are simply not a good team with a lot of injuries right now. Maybe they somehow win one. But you can book the #1 overall pick for them. Kind of sad actually.  

This game in particular, with Hogan starting and so many other players still banged up, should concern the Browns. The only silver lining for them in this game is that they are at home and the Jets too have injuries piling up. 

2 hours ago, PepPep said:

I get that it may just be a clever, jokey reply, to say that the Jets are the easy part of the schedule for other teams. They suck! Get it? haha.

But its just not accurate, IMO. The Jets have 3 more truly tough games the rest of the way - Pats 2x and Bills in week 17. 

You could argue that THOSE 3 teams are looking forward to facing the Jets. But I wouldn't think so as these are division games, and 2 of the three will be road games for those teams. 

As far as the rest of the teams on the schedule, I don't think ANY of those teams want to face an embarrassed, desperate Jets team, with an obviously talented, yet under-performing defense and, if anything, veteran skill players on the offense. 

If I'm those teams, I worry about the Jets, regardless of my team's record. I think of those games as possible trap games. Especially if the Jets go on a run and end up 5-5 going into the bye. If I'm Miami or SF or LA or Indy, this is NOT an easy game for my team, this is not a gimme.   

A 2-5 jets team with an awful underachiever defense and total disarray at the Qb spot?  The Jets would probably be top 5 for any team in this league for who they would like to face, perhaps top 3.  Based on how the team has played this year.

1 hour ago, ASH1962 said:

You said, what I said.  All other teams in this league would have the jets circled as a win vs or our best chance to win one if you are the browns.

If you think the JN meltdown has been fun so far, just wait until we are 5-5 and people look at the remainder of our schedule.  

It will go from "we must tank!" to "oh my God we can go 10-6!"  And then we will go 7-9.  These suckers fall for it every time  

SAR I

On 10/27/2016 at 1:01 PM, PepPep said:

The 2016 version of Sixpatrick doesn't scare anybody.

I know it sounds cliche but this team really needs to take it one game at a time.  To hear players talking yesterday about running the table scares me.  A couple of wins against bad teams doesn't change much and the Jets aren't a good enough team to overlook anyone on their schedule.  If they play a similar first half vs. Miami like they did in Clev. forget it they'll dig too big of a hole to get out of.  Miami isn't a great team but they're better than Clev. and have played much better after a slow start.

-- Look who's gaining on the outside.

The broken-down team that embarrassed itself in the Arizona desert nearly three weeks ago has a chance to reclaim its season Sunday at Hard Rock Stadium. If the New York Jets can beat the Miami Dolphins for their third straight win ... well, now you're talking about legitimate hope. They'd be 4-5, with the struggling Los Angeles Rams coming to town.

"We weathered the storm," Darrelle Revis said. "This one here is a must-win for us. This definitely is. We know it's going to be a physical game, we understand that. We know where this game can put us."The Jets have a second chance because they beat two teams on long losing streaks (Baltimore Ravens and Cleveland Browns), but they don't have to apologize to anyone, not after the schedule they had to face in the first six weeks. The only thing that matters is how they handle this opportunity.

Five thoughts on the game

1. Same old Dolphins? Regardless of the circumstances, the Jets always seem to bring their A game against the Dolphins, especially in South Florida. They've won three straight in the Sunshine State, plus last year's meeting in London. The Jets' last road loss in this series was Jan. 1, 2012, the day of the infamous Santonio Holmes-Wayne Hunter scuffle in the huddle. The Dolphins (3-4), under new coach Adam Gase, are feeling pretty good about themselves. They have a two-game winning streak, coming off a bye, but they usually turn to mush against the Jets. We'll see if they've changed at all.

2. Turf war: Once upon a time, these Jets-Dolphins affairs were settled in the air, but the hype surrounding this game involves the big dudes in the trenches and the hottest running back in the NFL. Jay Ajayi is trying to become the first player to rush for 200 yards in three straight games, but he'll encounter the league's top-ranked run defense. The Jets respect Ajayi, but they also have a feeling of invincibility when it comes to stopping the run. Their defensive line has three former first-round picks -- Leonard Williams, Muhammad Wilkersonand Sheldon Richardson. Miami's offensive line has four No. 1s -- Branden Albert, rookie Laremy Tunsil, Mike Pouncey and Ja'Wuan James. It's strength versus strength.

3. Kickoff is 1 p.m.: It's important for the Jets to know this because they've been showing up late in recent weeks. They've trailed after the first quarter in four straight games, including last week's dreadful start in Cleveland. Only once have they held an opponent scoreless in the first quarter. These poor starts don't reflect well on Todd Bowles. A big part of coaching is getting your team physically and mentally ready to play, and the Jets have been lacking. It would be nice to see how they'd do while playing from ahead.

4. Don't sleep on the deep ball:If the Jets overplay Ajayi, using an eight-man box, they'll leave themselves vulnerable to long passes. Wait, let's rephrase that: They're always vulnerable to big completions. They've allowed five touchdown passes of at least 20 yards, second-most in the league. Ryan Tannehill has improved in that area; in fact, he has five scoring passes in that category. The return of cornerback Buster Skrine will help the secondary, but how they do they handle Jarvis Landry in the slot? They used Revis on him last year, but that would be a tough ask, considering Revis' recent struggles. The best plan is to hit Tannehill because he gets skittish at the first sign of pressure. He has taken at least five sacks in three of the four losses.

5. Brandon vs. Byron: Brandon Marshall, no doubt sending a message to the officiating crew, made news by accusing Dolphins cornerback Byron Maxwell of holding on every play. Maxwell's track record supports Marshall's claim; he tends to get grabby. Problem is, the referee is Walt Coleman and his crew doesn't call a lot of penalties for defensive holding, defensive pass interference and illegal contact. Their total for those penalties is 15, only 12th out of 17 officiating crews. That favors Maxwell. It'll be important for Marshall to keep his cool if Maxwell resorts to his old tricks.

>     http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/64581/jets-can-always-count-on-trip-to-miami-to-feel-rejuvenated

Archived