stuck with another gm that cant draft

kmnj

for the love of god we need to hire a gm that actually can draft players
- year in and year out have terrible drafts-each year we are lucky if one guy that is drafted has any impact-this year more of the same-please spare me the it is way too early to judge bs-it is not too early at all-it is very clear we struck  out again with this draft-now you want to say hey our garbage project from PSU may pan out and then this draft grades out differently -you have not watched him play the past two years-he is our next second round qb bust and is the next browning nagle for us

our gm  is decent at picking up proven Free agents that is it.

Woody needs to hire a proven gm with a track record of drafting quality players-pay him what ever it is he wants

the reason we are not a good team is our players are not good and we over value our first round picks-our defense sucks and is loaded with top picks

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Idk, I think Williams and Lee have played pretty well so far. It's obviously too early to tell with Hack. I also think Burris and Jenkins are playing fairly well in the limited time they've been out on the field, and people are already calling for Bryce Petty. That's probably more draft success than Inzenbaum and Bradway combined

What a short sighted and ignorant thread.

Williams is a beast. Lee looked good before getting hurt. Anderson/Peake look like diamonds in the rough. Jenkins looks like a starting LBer. Burris looks like a player that can start in the NFL. Devin Smith played a couple of games, didn't look great  then got hurt. 

Only a fool would bash Mac's drafting at this point unless you want to label Hack and Petty busts before they ever plays a down in the NFL. 

3 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Williams is a beast. Lee looked good before getting hurt. Anderson/Peake look like diamonds in the rough. Jenkins looks like a starting LBer. Burris looks like a player that can start in the NFL. Devin Smith played a couple of games, didn't look great  then got hurt. 

Only a fool would bash Mac's drafting at this point unless you want to label Hack and Petty busts before they ever plays a down in the NFL. 

Sadly NY Jets drafts are always scrutinized and always will be other teams seem to draft so well and the Jets so poor. 

I bet we lead the NFL in 1st round draft busts. 

Some of these players from recent drafts should be helping this team win games instead of being out of football or struggling on other teams. 

22 minutes ago, section314 said:

Judge a draft after 3 years, not 7 games. 

why wait-the past five years it was VERY clear our drafts sucked-this year is not different-lee is getting beat like he stole something out there giving up multiple tds

the rest are hot garbage as well but hey lets wait like we did with our last gm-it worked out SO GREAT

Way to early to tell with Macc. Leo was a no brainer but not trying to move Mo quickly after was a mistake. 

The GM can only pick players, after that the coaches need to see what they have & coach them up. Enunwa is a perfect example that most guys don't take the league by storm, especially late rounders but there are a lot of stud NFL players from late rounds & UDFAs. That is where good scouting comes into play. 

Hell, Peake, Anderson & J.Marshall are all better RIGHT NOW than our 2nd round pick of Stephen Hill. I think Lee has flashed enough for me to think he might end up being a good pick, it's not like anyone picked after him has lit it up. He might end up like a Bryan Thomas type of pick, head scratcher that 8 years from now you look back & say damn, he had a better career than most of the 1st rounders in that draft picked after him?

Luck plays a huge part in drafting. We win 2 meaningless games & Atlanta gets to pick Matt Ryan, while at pick number six we get Vernon Gholston.

3 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Sadly NY Jets drafts are always scrutinized and always will be other teams seem to draft so well and the Jets so poor. 

Some of these players from recent drafts should be helping this team win games instead of being out of football or struggling on other teams. 

second rounds are the worst for us-

9 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I said we usually get one productive player per draft  and that is it -williams was the one and it was a no brainer....

Just now, joewilly12 said:

2011 Mo Wilk- Pro bowl caliber

2012 Coples Bust

2013 Milliner Bust

Richardson - Pro Bowl Caliber

2014 Calvin pryor- solid starter

2015 Leonard Williams Pro bowl caliber

2016 Lee- Looking good

That is probably as good a record for 1st round picks as any team. The only problem is that we are bust city in the 2nd round and most of our good draft picks have been at the same position. People seem to think every 1st round pick is good, but there are numerous busts every year. 

Just now, JoJoTownsell1 said:

2011 Mo Wilk- Pro bowl caliber

2012 Coples Bust

2013 Milliner Bust

Richardson - Pro Bowl Caliber

2014 Calvin pryor- solid starter

2015 Leonard Williams Pro bowl caliber

2016 Lee- Looking good

That is probably as good a record for 1st round picks as any team. The only problem is that we are bust city in the 2nd round and most of our good draft picks have been at the same position. People seem to think every 1st round pick is good, but there are numerous busts every year. 

Kyle Wilson 

Vernon Gholston 

Say hello! 

I realize that the bar is low from the previous two GMs, but in 2 years, he drafted 13 players:

2 haven't played yet (hack, petty) less then 20% - so it is hard to judge.

12 made the team.

Williams is great.

Lee, Jenkins, Edwards are starting and/or will be.

Deon, Peake, and Mauldin are contributing (not just on ST)

Burris is showing promise.

If Petty turns into a backup as a 4th rounder, he is a great pick

if Hack turns out to be our starter - the draft was great.

It is hard to tell this early, but right now it is looking promising.

Macc doesn't bring all that much to the table for me the the Texans are a terrible organization if it werent for JJ Watt and DeAndre Hopkins that team would have zero identity. 

As I stated earlier young fast WR's until we see that they can do with a real QB everyone looks good in shirts and tee's. 

18 minutes ago, kmnj said:

for the love of god we need to hire a gm that actually can draft players
- year in and year out have terrible drafts-each year we are lucky if one guy that is drafted has any impact-this year more of the same-please spare me the it is way too early to judge bs-it is not too early at all-it is very clear we struck  out again with this draft-now you want to say hey our garbage project from PSU may pan out and then this draft grades out differently -you have not watched him play the past two years-he is our next second round qb bust and is the next browning nagle for us

our gm  is decent at picking up proven Free agents that is it.

Woody needs to hire a proven gm with a track record of drafting quality players-pay him what ever it is he wants

the reason we are not a good team is our players are not good and we over value our first round picks-our defense sucks and is loaded with top picks

You are WAY off. If simply for the fact that you believe "please spare me the it is way too early to judge bs-it is not too early at all-it is very clear we struck  out again with this draft"...

Anybody who wants to judge the future of a rookie one season into their NFL careers...or in this particular example 7 weeks in with one of the rookies having yet to play (Hack) and another barely getting any snaps despite his good play every time he gets an opportunity (Burris) is completely off base. Its silly. Macc's been here for 2 drafts.

Here are his picks:

2015:

Rd. 1: Leonard Williams

Rd. 2: D.Smith

Rd. 3: L.Mauldin

Rd. 4: Bryce Petty

Rd. 5: J.Harrison (cut)

Rd. 7: D.Simon  

Williams looks to be a star on the rise. D.Smith is a big ? due to his injury and inability to actually show what he can do. B.Petty will be fighting for the Jets starting gig next season. Simon plays an a backup NT and looks like a BEAST against the run. Mauldin is a starter- he's had his ups and downs. 

2016:

Rd. 1: D.Lee 

Rd. 2: Hack

Rd. 3: J.Jenkins

Rd. 4: Burris

Rd. 5: Shell

Rd. 7: Edwards (punter)

Rd. 7: Peake 

All of these guys are still on the team. Lee is pretty much a starter and has looked very good for a rookie, leading the team in tackles before his injury. He has also just tapped his potential, he has the talent to be much more of an impact player.

Hack has taken a 'red shirt' year. We don't know what he will turn into. What we DO know is he has the measurables to be an NFL QB and the smarts/football IQ and work ethic to get there. 

Jenkins is a starter.

Burris has played well every time he has been given an opportunity. He probably should be given more snaps considering how poorly the secondary has played, but with Revis, Skrine, and Williams ahead of him and Bowles being an old school coach, its tough to break into the lineup. 

Shell is a backup OT. He's a rookie and still learning. Can't really call him a bust yet considering he was a 5th round pick and has not really gotten an opportunity to play.      

Edwards is the starting punter. And looks like a pretty darn good one at that.

Peake is a backup WR and one of the handful of young, talented WRs Macc has been able to bring in to revitalize this roster. He's a 7th round pick bu made the team in the midst of some serious competition from other young WRs and vets fighting to keep their career going.

So, without just calling everyone a bust, and simply discrediting the notion of 'grooming' QBs or developing young players in general (which is nonsense), please explain how Macc has been terrible at drafting? Go ahead. I'll wait.   

It all depends on how you grade success. Some people want a hall of famer with every pick. I'm not saying the thread starter is that type but its all relative.

I like our young receivers. Our receivers had no depth before Mac. Those were all late round picks too.

- We have a dlineman all pro,

- Lee was having a good year until injury.

- Burris has looked good in minimal time

- A 4th round QB pick is universally graded has a successful pick if he becomes a solid backup. We'll see what Petty becomes.

- Jenkins looks good for his role. If you're expecting von miller stats then you're just misguided because thats not his role. But Jenkins looks like a good starter.

- Mauldin had a good rookie year and has been limites this year. He had a good game last week so we'll see. But hardly a bust, overall he's been pretty good.

That to me so far is REALLY good drafting. Also have to remember how bad our roster was when Mac came in. Ever wonder why good teams draft so well? The answer is 2 prong:

1. They're good because they draft well (obviously)

2. The young guys can grow faster when they're surrounded by talent in their prime. We do not have such a luxury cause of horrible previous regimes.

The jury is still out on Hack and Devin. Devin looked miserable last year before the injury. But was it Fitz or Devin? I honestly don't know. I do know that when your strength (speed) is negated by your QB's limitations, you become almost obsolete.

- The Shell pick looks bad, but we'll see how they all develop.

Overall I don't really have much to complain about Mac. More blame for Bowles for playing so many defenders out of position but thats another topic.

Leonard Williams - Excellent pick Gm did not out smart himself when perhaps the best player in the draft fell to him.

Devin Smith - Crap pick, drafting pure deep threats often doesn't work in this league  (Hill, Ginn, dude from Oakland)  He looked lousy imo when he was healthy and unless he is brilliant on his return to the team he will have already been passed by late rounders and UDFa.

Lorenzo Maulden - Sounds like he got a bit cute in trading down in this round but Maulden imo is still a good player.  His fall off this year?  Our dumb ass coach who can't decide on what type of D system he ants to play.

Bryce Petty - Good pick, traded up just one spot and got a developmental guy with a strong arm in the 4th round.  This is about the time in a draft you look for lonter term development guys.

Jarvis Harrison - did not turn out but probably worth the risk of the pick in the 5th round.

Deon Simon - 7th rounder development pick, could work out in the long run.

Darron Lee - The guy has shown his speed but I still think taking a small ILB at 20 is dumb.  He is not a pass rusher, he is best suited to a 3-4 imo and our coach likes to do his thang.

Christian Hackenburg - Ridiculously awful pick.  A long long term development guy picked in the 2nd round, huge reach.  The pick has disaster written all over it. 

Jordan Jenkins -  Good pick, a player that should be a solid addition for a long time, however like Mauldin, besides his injury he will be hampered by our coaches 'hybrid' scheme.

Juston Burris - Good pick, the guy has shown promise and I have a feeling he will be a starter at some point in time.

Brandon Shell - Guy looked flat out terrible in camp and preseason and we traded up to get him.  This one will be Jarvis Harrison version 2

Lac Edwards - Excellent pick and thank god we finally drafted a punter.

Charon Peake - Good value pick for a 7th rounder, if we get a starter between him, Anderson and Marshall it will be a win.

Some good picks some terrible picks,. I lost a good bit of confidence in our GM with our 1st two picks from this last draft.

10 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Devin Smith - Crap pick, drafting pure deep threats often doesn't work in this league  (Hill, Ginn, dude from Oakland)  He looked lousy imo when he was healthy and unless he is brilliant on his return to the team he will have already been passed by late rounders and UDFa.

Devin may still turn out good.  Just depends how fast we can get Fitz out of here.

I understand drafting the best available, but some common sense is needed as well.  You can't take a guy like Devin when your starting QB is Ryan Fitzpatrick.  Makes zero sense.  Devin should break Fitz's jaw.  Even if he's suspended and locked up for a year, it would probably be better for his career.

4 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Devin may still turn out good.  Just depends how fast we can get Fitz out of here.

I understand drafting the best available, but some common sense is needed as well.  You can't take a guy like Devin when your starting QB is Ryan Fitzpatrick.  Makes zero sense.  Devin should break Fitz's jaw.  Even if he's suspended and locked up for a year, it would probably be better for his career.

Drafting a limited Wr in the 2nd round just because he runs deep routes is stupid and Smith will be no more effective with any other QB.  He looked lousy running shorter patterns and in this leageu if all you are is a go route player you should be a robbie Anderson an udfa or a 7th round pick.

7 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Drafting a limited Wr in the 2nd round just because he runs deep routes is stupid and Smith will be no more effective with any other QB.  He looked lousy running shorter patterns and in this leageu if all you are is a go route player you should be a robbie Anderson an udfa or a 7th round pick.

Couldn't disagree more.  Devin "looked" bad at everything because Fitz sucks @ss.  Look at Fitz now, he throws short and wide on 5 yard patterns.  He was doing the same to Devin last season.

Devin is fine.  Fitz needs to go immediately.  He ruins our season, our cap space, our veterans and our young guys.  He's by far the worst starting QB in the NFL.  Bortles and Kaperdick are Brees and Brady in comparison.

Disclaimer:  In the interest of full disclosure, I don't care much for Ryan Fitzpatrick.

9 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Couldn't disagree more.  Devin "looked" bad at everything because Fitz sucks @ss.  Look at Fitz now, he throws short and wide on 5 yard patterns.  He was doing the same to Devin last season.

Devin is fine.  Fitz needs to go immediately.  He ruins our season, our cap space, our veterans and our young guys.  He's by far the worst starting QB in the NFL.  Bortles and Kaperdick are Brees and Brady in comparison.

Disclaimer:  In the interest of full disclosure, I don't care much for Ryan Fitzpatrick.

100% of all the ills of this team are because of Fitzpatrick to you and a few of your cronies, thus your actual evaluation of players stinks.  Try making one post about the Jets with out the word Fitzpatrick in it, it will be a 1st for you.

1 hour ago, Freemanm said:

Idk, I think Williams and Lee have played pretty well so far. It's obviously too early to tell with Hack. I also think Burris and Jenkins are playing fairly well in the limited time they've been out on the field, and people are already calling for Bryce Petty. That's probably more draft success than Inzenbaum and Bradway combined

And Devin Smith was as much of a project as Hack.  So wait and see.

5 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

100% of all the ills of this team are because of Fitzpatrick to you and a few of your cronies, thus your actual evaluation of players stinks.  Try making one post about the Jets with out the word Fitzpatrick in it, it will be a 1st for you.

Wilkerson shouldn't have been re-signed.  It will likely end up costing us a better player in Sheldon.

Also somehow Fitz's fault.

Archived