Brian Winters

Tinstar

Did the Jets running game disappear when this kid game himself a concussion and return when he came back ? Is this kid becoming an important cog along the Jets offensive line ? Has anyone else notice the huge difference when he's at OG compared to when Qvale is in there  ?  Is this the same Kid Jet fans wanted to run out of town just this past off season . Is the improvement in this kid's game any reason to not rush to label draft picks too quickly ?  Am I talking about you or am I standing in front of a mirror  ?  

Winters does seem to have finally stepped it up this year, but regarding any supposed rush to judgment, it shouldn't take a 3rd round pick at guard 4 years to become solid.  Ultimately, fans have been rightfully disappointed to see that he was drafted to replace a 6th rounder (Slauson) and had been a massive downgrade for the first 3 years.  Now granted, the blame for that situation goes on the team just as much, if not more, than Winters himself, but the displeasure with it is certainly justifiable.  If the price is right then he's certainly worth looking to extend this offseason, but he still hasn't earned any serious money.

7 hours ago, Bleedin Green said:

Winters does seem to have finally stepped it up this year, but regarding any supposed rush to judgment, it shouldn't take a 3rd round pick at guard 4 years to become solid.  Ultimately, fans have been rightfully disappointed to see that he was drafted to replace a 6th rounder (Slauson) and had been a massive downgrade for the first 3 years.  Now granted, the blame for that situation goes on the team just as much, if not more, than Winters himself, but the displeasure with it is certainly justifiable.  If the price is right then he's certainly worth looking to extend this offseason, but he still hasn't earned any serious money.

I don't understand or sympathize with the bold.  Many many higher OG picks (or picks at other positions for that matter) bust out of the league long before their 4th year.    

43 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

I don't understand or sympathize with the bold.  Many many higher OG picks (or picks at other positions for that matter) bust out of the league long before their 4th year.    

See Jonathan Cooper, he's on his third team since getting drafted at #7 in 2013.

Brian Winters who took a personal foul penalty and gave himself a concussion at the same time? That Brian Winters? Ultimately replaceable.

And what running game? Forte getting 3 yards a carry running game? Passing on many 3rd and 1s because the staff doesn't trust the running game? Red Zone offense struggling because they can't run it close and deep? 

25 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Actually, a 3rd rounder being decent by his 3rd year and getting good in his 4th is pretty decent.

Telling you, with the new CBA, and the limited pads on practice time, developing O Linemen is going to be harder and harder.

Agree

How about QB's?  This CBA rule that the players can't work out with the coaches in the off season is just stupid.  Vets love it.  Young players can't develop and take their jobs.

One of the reasons I'm real concerned about Hack.  Gailey says there just isn't enough reps to completely re-build his mechanics in camp.  When is that going to happen?  They can barely talk to the players in the off-season.  

God, what will be written here if we somehow beat Cleveland tomorrow? To praise this running game is just feeding off of the fact that we beat a inferior opponent last week with a beat up OL.

Still say this team is poorly coached, and vastly over paid and underachieving.

Brian Winters is playing well.  Yes, it take to long to get there.   OL will get picked lower and lower because it will take too long to develop them.  

The Jets could not extent him, like the Steelers did DeCastro (for obviously more money) because, among other reasons, they paid Ftiz.  Someone is going to pay Winters alot of money and steel him from under our nose.

1 hour ago, flgreen said:

Agree

How about QB's?  This CBA rule that the players can't work out with the coaches in the off season is just stupid.  Vets love it.  Young players can't develop and take their jobs.

One of the reasons I'm real concerned about Hack.  Gailey says there just isn't enough reps to completely re-build his mechanics in camp.  When is that going to happen?  They can barely talk to the players in the off-season.  

It's not and that is the problem....with the current cba , coaches can't develop players and it will really be up to hack to find someone to correct his issues.

3 hours ago, LIJetsFan said:

There will always be someone who is worse at a position, so that's not really saying much in the player's favor.  With very few exceptions, it's largely considered pretty stupid for high picks to be spent on OGs.  So fair or not, a third rounder at the position is intended to be a quality starter pretty early on.  He only started at all in his first 2 years due to poor competition and injuries.  I've got nothing against the guy, and he's certainly become a solid player, but not much more than that.  That's fine and faaaaar from being close to one of the Jets' truly bad picks, but it's hardly worthy of great levels of praise either.  If it's a reasonable price they should still bring him back, but if he's looking to cash in come FA time, he's not worth that much.

7 hours ago, ASH1962 said:

God, what will be written here if we somehow beat Cleveland tomorrow? To praise this running game is just feeding off of the fact that we beat a inferior opponent last week with a beat up OL.

Still say this team is poorly coached, and vastly over paid and underachieving.

Then what are the Ravens? Injuries are no excuse for them, we had injuries too

6 hours ago, varjet said:

Brian Winters is playing well.  Yes, it take to long to get there.   OL will get picked lower and lower because it will take too long to develop them.  

The Jets could not extent him, like the Steelers did DeCastro (for obviously more money) because, among other reasons, they paid Ftiz.  Someone is going to pay Winters alot of money and steel him from under our nose.

Unfortunately with free agency Winters is exactly the type of player who gets a crazy offer from somewhere

6 hours ago, Il Mostro said:

Thanks Idzik!  Happy now, Villain?

Winters has slowly but surely worked himself into being a very competent player.  Who is to say that he has reached his ceiling and will not continue to get better?  I am all for keeping him.

I agree.

Don't see Winters price in FA being prohibitive.   Jets should keep a player they developed if they can

The kid was an OT from a small college who was tried at OT, OG and OC in his 1st 3 years while starting at OG his rookie season . The kid was not strong enough and was not refined enough at OG to start in the NFL . Instead of realizing this and understanding, some Fans jumped on every single mistake the kid made and labeled him. There's a faction of fans who are quick with the blame game instead of the wait and see approach . It's why I firmly believe that this fan base will never allow any young QB to develop while making his mistakes .  Yes, it's been 40+ years, but these young kids have noting to do with that history and should not be held responsible for it to their detriment.

Brian Winters was a victim of it, but he's proving to be what those of us who saw glimpses believe he could be . 

33 minutes ago, ljr said:

Good to hear this from Big Wood

... Winters is Still not Mangold level ... But I won't nitpick a complement

Mangold is no longer Mangold level . He can't get to the 2nd level anymore, and he's not as strong at the point of attack against the bigger NTs anymore either . I would go so far as to say that Nick Mangold is getting by solely on his ability to assist the QB with setting line protections . He's mentally strong still but his physical ability is fading  .

9 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

The kid was an OT from a small college who was tried at OT, OG and OC in his 1st 3 years while starting at OG his rookie season . The kid was not strong enough and was not refined enough at OG to start in the NFL . Instead of realizing this and understanding, some Fans jumped on every single mistake the kid made and labeled him. There's a faction of fans who are quick with the blame game instead of the wait and see approach . It's why I firmly believe that this fan base will never allow any young QB to develop while making his mistakes .  Yes, it's been 40+ years, but these young kids have noting to do with that history and should not be held responsible for it to their detriment.

Brian Winters was a victim of it, but he's proving to be what those of us who saw glimpses believe he could be . 

well said! and neither does this CS & FO

1 hour ago, C Mart said:

Someone who knows aliitle bit about OL play. 

r4t-1mMT_normal.jpg Damien Woody (@damienwoody)
On a different note, Brian Winters might be the Jets best OL. Dude is quietly turning into a good guard

That says more about the rest of how bad the offensive line is than how good Winters is. And Carpenter is better than Winters. Woody talks a lot on twitter, but his takes are meh. 

2 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

Mangold is no longer Mangold level . He can't get to the 2nd level anymore, and he's not as strong at the point of attack against the bigger NTs anymore either . I would go so far as to say that Nick Mangold is getting by solely on his ability to assist the QB with setting line protections . He's mentally strong still but his physical ability is fading  .

Which is why I was hoping for Nick Martin.  C is a big priority for '17

Just now, CrazyCarl40 said:

That says more about the rest of how bad the offensive line is than how good Winters is. And Carpenter is better than Winters. Woody talks a lot on twitter, but his takes are meh. 

if you and others want to look at it that way, its not surprising, and you're free to do so

28 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Which is why I was hoping for Nick Martin.  C is a big priority for '17

Every year my 1st round draft pick starts with this outline :

QB

LT

Pass rusher

OC

NT

Those positions are at the head of any championship team .

1 hour ago, section314 said:

CMart......Martin got picked right before us in rd 2. If he was there, is he a Jet, or was it always gonna be Hack?. Really wanted either Ryan Kelly or Martin last year.

No idea. Mcc didn't invite me into the draft room. Interesting Houston traded in front of Jets to get him. Then again reports were Jets we're thinking of moving down. But who knows. 

Center needs to be addressed somehow, someway going into next season unless Wesley Johnson proves he can be long-term starting material. 

Archived