Lupz27

Pat Mahomes II

On 3/24/2017 at 4:18 PM, Paradis said:

Not sure what you're point is - that no one is 100%? Coswell has a voice that people respect - cherry picking is for the birds. Beyond that - the point of that article is to shed some light on the reasons why there's lots of risk with Mahomes. The tiger-beat club here has been down right ridiculous in minimizing the concerns in his game.

Will he end up as an instant bust? I dunno. Hopefully not. He certainly sounds like a good kid who wants to do it right.

But so what? 

He has as horrible habits as there is possible, and almost none of the "highlights" translate to the NFL. I wouldn't touch him before round 3. 

Legit question and not trying to be snarky or take a jab but what's the difference between Pat Mahomes and someone you were head over heels in love with last year, Paxton Lynch? 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Paradis said:

We dug into this question once in one of the many "I love Pat" threads over the past couple months. The short version? NFL throws into NFL windows. While both came from completely unrelateable NFL-offenses -- and consequently both need a lot work developing their game against NFL defenses, the big difference is Paxton made big time throws against NFL-calibre coverage and made quick reads when the primary wasn't there and did so with good ball placement. You see very little of that with Mahomes. 

People can argue all they want, but that's the primary reason Paxton was always mocked in in the 1st round, and why Mahomes needs essays written online to convince people why he should go in the 1st.

Meh, I'm sure I could cherry pick "Big time NFL throws into NFL windows, vs. NFL caliber coverage" if we really wanted to with Mahomes.  The kid has a cannon.  He can do it.  Mahomes made a ton of quick reads too. Sure, he's got highlight reel of broken down plays where he creates but the offense is more about quick reads than most. I think Mahomes game is just harder to critique because so much of what he did was improvising and he doesnt have the NFL optics with funky deliveries and footwork.  

The conference matters too.  They literally dont know you're allowed to stop the other team in that conference.  The only starter it's ever produced is Sam Bradford.  So it's a hard conference to judge QB's out of.  Meanwhile, you got Villain drooling over Baker Mayfield throwing to wide open receivers after turning his back to the LOS and running around like a chicken with his head cut off.  At least with Lupz love for Mahomes, it's justified because Mahomes has some freakish talent you cant teach that is going to make some coaches fall in love.  Mayfield literally has really nothing to offer the NFL but will probably put up a Heisman campaign next year because his numbers will be absurd. 

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, Paradis said:

It's not a "meh, i could cherry pick too" scenario JiF... it is what it is. Paxton was always graded as a round 1 QB. he was mocked anywhere from 1st overall, through till 28th throughout the 2015 season. I'm not making this sh*t up.... i hear what you're saying, but don't act like i'm pulling this out of my ass. Lynch made NFL throws. Jury's out on Mahomes, hence why replies like yours feel the need to qualify why his tape needs to be looked at like this or that. 

Their upsides are very similar, i'll give him that -- there's just more evidence with Lynch

I'm not acting like you're pulling sh*t out of your ass.  I'm asking with sincerity because Mahomes is a bit of a polarizing figure.  And when I look at the 2 side by side, they seem very similar.  So I was trying to get your take since you were very passionate about Paxton Lynch.

That said, I think this take is just a little misguided.  I have a hard believing that a player with Mahomes arm talent who attempted over 11k passes in college, didnt make any NFL throws into NFL windows vs. NFL caliber coverage.  Now, if you're telling me Lynch had to more often than Mahomes which made him easier to evaluate when you watch the tape, then I get it.  That make sense.  

I honestly dont recall Lynch as a sure fire 1st round.  I remember him as a climber during the process.  I recall him being called "raw" but was popping up after a good season and the obvious tools he possess. 

• Upvote 1

On 1/31/2017 at 6:33 AM, T0mShane said:

10 hours ago, T0mShane said:

My ability to avoid horrific self-owns is unrivaled

You compared him to Geno Smith...

• Haha 1

On 3/30/2017 at 1:11 PM, JiF said:

Meh, I'm sure I could cherry pick "Big time NFL throws into NFL windows, vs. NFL caliber coverage" if we really wanted to with Mahomes.  The kid has a cannon.  He can do it.  Mahomes made a ton of quick reads too. Sure, he's got highlight reel of broken down plays where he creates but the offense is more about quick reads than most. I think Mahomes game is just harder to critique because so much of what he did was improvising and he doesnt have the NFL optics with funky deliveries and footwork.  

The conference matters too.  They literally dont know you're allowed to stop the other team in that conference.  The only starter it's ever produced is Sam Bradford.  So it's a hard conference to judge QB's out of.  Meanwhile, you got Villain drooling over Baker Mayfield throwing to wide open receivers after turning his back to the LOS and running around like a chicken with his head cut off.  At least with Lupz love for Mahomes, it's justified because Mahomes has some freakish talent you cant teach that is going to make some coaches fall in love.  Mayfield literally has really nothing to offer the NFL but will probably put up a Heisman campaign next year because his numbers will be absurd. 

OMG how am I not a scout

• Upvote 1

And for the record, I did want Watson over Mahomes.  I will admit that out right. 

That said, after lots of conversation with Lupz on this I squarely fell on it has to be one of the 2 and I confidently knew, Mac wouldnt draft either. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, artemusclyde said:

Rumors for that year we're that the Jets scouting team loved Mahomes. I followed that draft religiously, but once I saw that Jamal Adams had fallen to 6, I knew we were ****ed. One of the most frustrating drafts, drafting a box safety when we had a huge glaring question mark at qb and our qb of the future was Hackenberg. Wanted Mac fired after that draft.

Oh yeah, that was super frustrating draft.  When they took Maye, I just remember laughing hysterically and more of the like I dont want to cry so I'm going to laugh type of laugh.

• Upvote 2

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company