Pat Mahomes II

Lupz27

• 2 years later...
  • 7 months later...
On 1/31/2017 at 9:53 PM, Paradis said:

No...

No. No, and no. 

If you what you're saying was so (pompously) clear, he would easily - EE-SAH-LEE - be the best QB in the draft class. Undisputed, and presently being drafted by CLE in every mock draft from here to russia.

But he's not is he?

So there's two possibilities why this is not happening.

1) the entire football community is light years behind you, and the Mahomes Tiger beat fan club.

2) He's not that good, and you're drunk on Mahomes love.

I don't know... tough call. 

Yup

On 3/24/2017 at 2:59 AM, ATX Jetsfan said:

I really like Mahomes, watched a lot of his games. The problem is...we already have 2 Patrick Mahomes on the roster in Bryce Petty and Christian Hackenberg. Now, i'm not saying they are exactly the same. But all 3 are similar prospects. "super high upside, very raw, a few years from being NFL ready" 

lol

• Haha 1

On 3/30/2017 at 1:11 PM, JiF said:

Meh, I'm sure I could cherry pick "Big time NFL throws into NFL windows, vs. NFL caliber coverage" if we really wanted to with Mahomes.  The kid has a cannon.  He can do it.  Mahomes made a ton of quick reads too. Sure, he's got highlight reel of broken down plays where he creates but the offense is more about quick reads than most. I think Mahomes game is just harder to critique because so much of what he did was improvising and he doesnt have the NFL optics with funky deliveries and footwork.  

The conference matters too.  They literally dont know you're allowed to stop the other team in that conference.  The only starter it's ever produced is Sam Bradford.  So it's a hard conference to judge QB's out of.  Meanwhile, you got Villain drooling over Baker Mayfield throwing to wide open receivers after turning his back to the LOS and running around like a chicken with his head cut off.  At least with Lupz love for Mahomes, it's justified because Mahomes has some freakish talent you cant teach that is going to make some coaches fall in love.  Mayfield literally has really nothing to offer the NFL but will probably put up a Heisman campaign next year because his numbers will be absurd. 

OMG how am I not a scout

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, JiF said:

And for the record, I did want Watson over Mahomes.  I will admit that out right. 

That said, after lots of conversation with Lupz on this I squarely fell on it has to be one of the 2 and I confidently knew, Mac wouldnt draft either. 

Rumors for that year we're that the Jets scouting team loved Mahomes. I followed that draft religiously, but once I saw that Jamal Adams had fallen to 6, I knew we were ****ed. One of the most frustrating drafts, drafting a box safety when we had a huge glaring question mark at qb and our qb of the future was Hackenberg. Wanted Mac fired after that draft.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, artemusclyde said:

Rumors for that year we're that the Jets scouting team loved Mahomes. I followed that draft religiously, but once I saw that Jamal Adams had fallen to 6, I knew we were ****ed. One of the most frustrating drafts, drafting a box safety when we had a huge glaring question mark at qb and our qb of the future was Hackenberg. Wanted Mac fired after that draft.

Oh yeah, that was super frustrating draft.  When they took Maye, I just remember laughing hysterically and more of the like I dont want to cry so I'm going to laugh type of laugh.

• Upvote 2

22 hours ago, CTM said:

He avoids them by never acknolwedging he's wrong. The dude is still out here defending Idzik

Parcells, idzik, mangini, gase. Wanted to draft lienart and compared mahomes to geno.

If T0m is indeed a real person and not just a troll bot, I'm about to start a gofundme to get this guy some round-the-clock help just for basic living. 

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...

Stumbled upon this tape this morning; fun little watch five years later. How was he not the unanimous top QB prospect after this game, against a defense littered with future all pros? Lawrence wishes he could do what Mahomes does in this video.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, PS17 said:

Stumbled upon this tape this morning; fun little watch five years later. How was he not the unanimous top QB prospect after this game, against a defense littered with future all pros? Lawrence wishes he could do what Mahomes does in this video.

This was his signature moment for sure, he was unreal.  Just doing draw dropping sh*t.  If you looked at the stat line and saw 50% you'd probably laugh but what was doing that game is what sold me on Mahomes but at the same time, why I understand how he was a hard project.  So much off script stuff that it was a hard read but it was the stuff you cant teach that was just so elite and electric that you couldnt help but drool a little.  

As for TL, I agree, he's got none of this in his game and why I dont get the generational tag.  What does he do that nobody else does?  What's his signature moment, the big play, the big win, the jaw dropper?  Mahomes and Watson's careers were littered with them, Burrow, Murray, all had them.  You know who didnt but had crazy stats and efficiency wins?  (granted no Nat'y) Baker Mayfield, but what was special about him other than running around like a chicken with his head cut off when he scored?  Nothing.

Not comparing Mayfield to Lawrence, just saying.  Other than being tall with long beautiful hair, what is it?  

• 4 months later...
15 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Interesting that some of the people that hate Wilson also hated Mahomes for a lot of the same reaons

I had been thinking the same thing.  It's a mindset and perspective that people have in how they view QBs.  There's no doubt there are similarities between Wilson and Mahomes, so I'm not sure we should be surprised that there are similarities in how certain people view them.

One thing that Mahomes has obviously benefited from is some of the best offensive coaching and surrounding talent in the NFL.  It raises the same questions that people here have struggled with for years.  Imagine Pat Mahomes for two years under Adam Gase throwing passes to Braxton Berrios and faking handoffs to Frank Gore.  Now imagine Sam Darnold having Andy Reid in his ear every day for two years while throwing to Tyreek Hill and Travis Kelce.   I'm NOT saying Darnold would be better than Mahomes at all.... what I am saying 100% is that Darnold would have looked much better and Mahomes would have looked much worse.

I don't know if Wilson is a better or worse prospect than either Mahomes or Darnold (purely from a prospect standpoint).  But the best hope for the NY Jets QB position may not be the guy under center as much as it is a new offensive scheme, new coaching and hopefully better players.  One thing is for sure, Zach Wilson is about to be drafted higher than BOTH Mahomes and Darnold in what is considered an above average QB class.

2 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

I had been thinking the same thing.  It's a mindset and perspective that people have in how they view QBs.  There's no doubt there are similarities between Wilson and Mahomes, so I'm not sure we should be surprised that there are similarities in how certain people view them.

One thing that Mahomes has obviously benefited from is some of the best offensive coaching and surrounding talent in the NFL.  It raises the same questions that people here have struggled with for years.  Imagine Pat Mahomes for two years under Adam Gase throwing passes to Braxton Berrios and faking handoffs to Frank Gore.  Now imagine Sam Darnold having Andy Reid in his ear every day for two years while throwing to Tyreek Hill and Travis Kelce.   I'm NOT saying Darnold would be better than Mahomes at all.... what I am saying 100% is that Darnold would have looked much better and Mahomes would have looked much worse.

I don't know if Wilson is a better or worse prospect than either Mahomes or Darnold (purely from a prospect standpoint).  But the best hope for the NY Jets QB position may not be the guy under center as much as it is a new offensive scheme, new coaching and hopefully better players.  One thing is for sure, Zach Wilson is about to be drafted higher than BOTH Mahomes and Darnold in what is considered an above average QB class.

Yeah I am not saying Wilson will be Mahomes or anything like that.

Nor I am calling out anyone on their opinion.  But it struck me how much we have a certain vision of a QB.

For me I look for arm talent above all else. So 4 years ago I loved Mahomes and this draft I love Wilson.

The people who hated Mahomes and Wilson seem to base their opinion more on athleticism and traits rather than skills.

I hated Deshaun Watson so no judgement here either.

On a macro scale I am sure that all the analysts have their "type" and scouts and GMs likely do as well.

On 4/24/2021 at 12:40 PM, jetstream23 said:

I started this thread and Wilson can’t hold Mahomes jock.  Reread through the thread, the main reason why I loved Mahomes so much was not just his physical traits but his professional upbringing, Wilson doesn’t have this, he won’t walk into a locker room and ? without a doubt understand what he needs to do to become the unbridled leader, Mahomes did and does and if you read the Tea leaves like I did you would have seen it to.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

I started this thread and Wilson can’t hold Mahomes jock.  Reread through the thread, the main reason why I loved Mahomes so much was not just his physical traits but his professional upbringing, Wilson doesn’t have this, he won’t walk into a locker room and ? without a doubt understand what he needs to do to become the unbridled leader, Mahomes did and does and if you read the Tea leaves like I did you would have seen it to.

Why didn’t JD read those tea leaves?  Or, are you saying JD is head-faking everyone and going to take another QB with better leadership qualities?

17 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Facts GIF by Judge Jerry

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Why didn’t JD read those tea leaves?  Or, are you saying JD is head-faking everyone and going to take another QB with better leadership qualities?

I’m saying comparing Mahomes to Wilson is a joke as a whole.  Yes maybe the kid has some great arm talent on the move off platform but so does 75% of QB’s these days.  It’s what’s upstairs in a QB’s head that separates him from the pack not pure physical ability and in this thread IMO Mahomes was the most prepared upstairs that ever came out.