Jets receiving calls to acquire Sheldon Richardson

Jets Daily Dosage.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well if they trade him it'll mostly be because of anticipated salary. And the fact that they are already paying Wilk and in the future Williams. But the politics of it aren't smart if in return they just get a draft pick. Because it will be telling fans and the team that they are giving up on this season. Even though it's highly improbable that this team will make the playoffs. They just aren't that good. Plus maybe they aren't thrilled with Sheldon and his idiotic behavior off the field. If they were to trade for an elite player who could fill a need like Joe Thomas then no blowback. But a player for a player deal is probably not going to happen. 

You can get the most value out of a player at the deadline when teams are making press for playoffs. 

If you can get a 1 for Sheldon you take it and run. We're a team that's devoid of talent at CB, QB, OT, RB, FS, OLB

2 1's and a 2 you can attack RT, CB, and QB with 3 top 40 picks.

16 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

If it is a 1st round pick its probably the Raiders or the Eagles and that pick will be in the 20's if not higher NO THANKS 

jmo No way the Raiders are trading a first round pick or a second round pick for Sheldon Richardson . ( under any circumstances)  I don't think they trade him for a third rounder- even though I personally would make that trade).

Why?  Forget the long suspension if he caught again violating the NFL substance policy  for the moment.

The Raiders get their stud De/ DT Mario Edwards back in three weeks.( only misses the Denver game since they have a bye after that) his presence was a big reason why Khalil Mack had his breakout season last year.  Lessing the need to acquire Sheldon Richardson .

Also the Raiders have their own knuckle head( Aldon Smith ) hopefully getting reinstated by the NFL at some point in November.  Do you really want to add another problem child to the mix with Richardson.( Raider version of Cheech and Chong) 

Biggest reason why is they can't afford to pay Richardson what he wants in a year and a 1/2 .( they have bigger players to sign Carr and K Mack) .    So for a one and 1/2 year rental you're going to piss away a high draft pick, and salary that can go toward signing those impact players. 

8 hours ago, SenorGato said:

I hope they trade this hack. Given his position, youth, current contract situation, and position again I'm shooting for a high 3rd at the absolute least, and that is being conservative. 300 pound athletes like him are rare, that this one is a jerkoff makes me not want him on the tesm but still believe he is worth plenty to other teams.

How's your Boy Mo working out?

5 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

Well if they trade him it'll mostly be because of anticipated salary. And the fact that they are already paying Wilk and in the future Williams. But the politics of it aren't smart if in return they just get a draft pick. Because it will be telling fans and the team that they are giving up on this season. Even though it's highly improbable that this team will make the playoffs. They just aren't that good. Plus maybe they aren't thrilled with Sheldon and his idiotic behavior off the field. If they were to trade for an elite player who could fill a need like Joe Thomas then no blowback. But a player for a player deal is probably not going to happen. 

Why would the Jets want an old player in Joe Thomas ,for their young Defensive tackle Sheldon Richardson.  You only make that kind of trade for a player that is the last piece for a championship team.( see Vikings who should be over him)

Now if the Jets were getting a longterm answer at Lt for Richardson , than that is a different story.     

22 hours ago, Mike135 said:

Doesn't mean we can't fix the mistake.  When teams call for Sheldon, sell them on Wilk and his deal.  

Letting Sheldon go would be a huge mistake.  There is no way to replace a guy with his level of talent and hustle.

I completely agree.. don't sell Sheldon..... unless its for Aaron Rogers.....

Seriously we won't get the value for Sheldon. 

3 minutes ago, Stark said:

I completely agree.. don't sell Sheldon..... unless its for Aaron Rogers.....

Seriously we won't get the value for Sheldon. 

There's no such thing as an NFL that values a defensive lineman and a top 5 QB equally. 

Just now, Integrity28 said:

There's no such thing as an NFL that values a defensive lineman and a top 5 QB equally. 

no kidding, the Aaron Rodgers line was obviously a joke... well it should have been taken that way.

lol @ some peoples responses on this board. 

22 hours ago, Mike135 said:

Doesn't mean we can't fix the mistake.  When teams call for Sheldon, sell them on Wilk and his deal.  

Letting Sheldon go would be a huge mistake.  There is no way to replace a guy with his level of talent and hustle.

I'd prefer keeping Sheldon. He's more disruptive, has a better motor, and a better skillset overall than Mo. I don't believe in "get rid of him before he gets busted by the cops again" in his case, because I really don't think he's so dumb that he'd compromise the pay-day that is coming his way.

Mo, with a 2016 contract should be more trade-able than Sheldon and his looming new contract based on 2017 and beyond pricing.

2 minutes ago, Stark said:

no kidding, the Aaron Rodgers line was obviously a joke... well it should have been taken that way.

lol @ some peoples responses on this board. 

Lately, the Aaron Rodgers line is more in-line with the serious comments on this site. 

It's the off the field Sheldon who even makes it a conversation, that and the effect of him getting suspended.  But aside from that, I'd take him over Wilkerson every day of the week and have felt that way for quite some time now.   even with the off the field concerns I'd take him.  So would the rest of the NFL.

Unfortunately with that contract I doubt Wilkerson has any significant trade value. 

I'd prefer keeping Sheldon. He's more disruptive, has a better motor, and a better skillset overall than Mo. I don't believe in "get rid of him before he gets busted by the cops again" in his case, because I really don't think he's so dumb that he'd compromise the pay-day that is coming his way.
Mo, with a 2016 contract should be more trade-able than Sheldon and his looming new contract based on 2017 and beyond pricing.

Mo got a $15 mill SB with his deal and after this year carries a annual cap hit of like $18 mil/yr.

The cap hit for us trading him needing to accelerate his SB would in and of itself be prohibitive ....and not too many teams are going to want an $18 mill/yr DT who is not exactly lighting it up this yr. we can only hope he's just rusty coming back from his broken leg or that Mo contract is going to haunt us.

Don't think Mo is going anywhere.

1 minute ago, phill1c said:

I don't get all this Sheldon Richardson love. The guy is part of a very underachieving DL and, really, if we could get a real stud OL or LB that's what we should aim for.

Agreed.  People get all excited when they see him chasing down a RB streaking down the field.  Yay!!!  He runs fast!!!!  He still suffers from the same thing that everyone complains about with Mo.  He doesnt make "game changing", "impact", "game ending" plays.  That and Mo is just a better player.

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

Agreed.  People get all excited when they see him chasing down a RB streaking down the field.  Yay!!!  He runs fast!!!!  He still suffers from the same thing that everyone complains about with Mo.  He doesnt make "game changing", "impact", "game ending" plays.  That and Mo is just a better player.

who or what draft picks could they get for him?  who is giving up a good cb for him?  is anyone giving up a 2nd rounder?

Just now, Augustiniak said:

who or what draft picks could they get for him?  who is giving up a good cb for him?  is anyone giving up a 2nd rounder?

I dont have those answers.  I was just agreeing with phil that this fanbase tends to overrate Sheldon while underrate Mo and it really doesnt make any sense.  The same things they complain about with Mo, is what they get from Sheldon.

Not sure what you can get for him but I would 100% be trying to ship him out.  You would think the way folks around here talk about him the Jets could get a 2nd rounder, no problem. 

I like Sheldon. I like him more than Mo or the Medium Cat (Ellis will always be the Big Cat.. I refuse to type that with a K), but he hasn't done anything this season to warrant a big return in a trade. We have him for one more year, why not see what it brings because right now, getting a later round pick doesn't seem really like a good option. No one is giving up a 1 or a 2 for a guy just because he plays with heart and can run head first into the O Line as a linebacker. 

Never ceases to amaze me how much this fan base massively overrates our defensive linemen. Why do you all insist year in and year out that we still have the NY Sack Exchange, when the results consistently disprove it? I like Leo, but if Mo and Sheldon are also such great players, how on earth are we 25th in sacks? 32nd overall against the pass? Because we stuff the run? What year do you think it is where that matters? Should come in handy against the Pats though :rolleyes:

Trade Sheldon AND Mo. Get me premium players that actually produce.

The history of paying DL is just too, too bad. I think the incentives are just completely out of whack.  In a league where the career on average is so short, and after 4-5 years you get paid a ton of guaranteed money, what is the incentive to play hard.

Given SR's history and Woody's history (tight, except when he is convinced for PR reasons to be stupid (e.g. Abraham), there is no way he pays SR.  No way.  I think we needed SR this year because people should have known that Mo would not be completely himself because of his injury.  This is a lost year for him.

So if they can trade him, they need to.  When the Jets are good enough again to be able to really use him, SR will want money that the Jets won't pay.  Take the draft pick when he has value.  With Mo they waited to late-a player requring $15mm/year has no value.  An talent with the incentive to do well at $7mm has much more value.

Macc bewilderingly signed Jarvis Jenkins and McClendon this off season.  Play them, Deon Simon and Mo and Leo fulltime, and off load Sheldon and maybe even Marshall (I do think that Marshall being covered though offers opportunities for the others, which is why Marshall likely stays-that and the fact that I am also dubious Decker returns like he was).

1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

If you trade Mo next year he has a 26 million dollar cap hit.  He can't be traded

http://overthecap.com/salary-cap/new-york-jets/

9 minutes ago, varjet said:

The history of paying DL is just too, too bad. I think the incentives are just completely out of whack.  In a league where the career on average is so short, and after 4-5 years you get paid a ton of guaranteed money, what is the incentive to play hard.

Given SR's history and Woody's history (tight, except when he is convinced for PR reasons to be stupid (e.g. Abraham), there is no way he pays SR.  No way.  I think we needed SR this year because people should have known that Mo would not be completely himself because of his injury.  This is a lost year for him.

So if they can trade him, they need to.  When the Jets are good enough again to be able to really use him, SR will want money that the Jets won't pay.  Take the draft pick when he has value.  With Mo they waited to late-a player requring $15mm/year has no value.  An talent with the incentive to do well at $7mm has much more value.

Macc bewilderingly signed Jarvis Jenkins and McClendon this off season.  Play them, Deon Simon and Mo and Leo fulltime, and off load Sheldon and maybe even Marshall (I do think that Marshall being covered though offers opportunities for the others, which is why Marshall likely stays-that and the fact that I am also dubious Decker returns like he was).

I agree with this post.

It's unclear why they continually play a 4-3 (or whatever you call a defense that Sheldon Richardson is an OLB) when you don't have LBs that can play the short zone.

14 minutes ago, chirorob said:

If you trade Mo next year he has a 26 million dollar cap hit.  He can't be traded

http://overthecap.com/salary-cap/new-york-jets/

I think you are looking at the cut rather than trade numbers.

If we traded Mo we would not be responsible for his salary or workout bonuses in subsequent years. We would be responsible for the prorated signing bonus, which would be accelerated against next year's cap as $12MM dead space. He's owed so much money next year if we keep him that we could pay off the bonus and still bring back $6MM in cap space. 

The problem is that few teams will want to eat his salary--especially with this year's lackluster performance--and for what we have paid and will pay on the signing bonus we will have received awful value for the amount of money we will end up paying for a single year under the contract. After next year he's could of guaranteed salary and could be released with a mere $6MM in remaining prorated bonus so he'll probably play a much better year in 2017 knowing he may need to renegotiate a contract.

Mo Wilkerson was just great last year.  He clearly deserved a new contract, and we would be ecstatic to pay it if he was playing the same way now.

I think Macc knew that too, which is why he was happy to pay the franchise tag this year and see how he played.

But Mo's new long term contract allowed the Jets to lower Mo's cap hit to sign Fitz.  Look where that got them, in hindsight.

On 10/30/2016 at 10:41 AM, JETSfaninNE said:

A 3rd is adequate?  You are nuts, Sheldon has seemingly grown up a bit and has taken care of his business on and off the field.  I wouldn't entertain anything less then a late 1st.

Has your opinion changed now that a quality and versatile player like Collins drew a conditional 3rd with zero off the field risk?  And you can apologize any time....

Archived